Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 22-05-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 22-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 22-05-11

Edwin van der Sar - retirement 'wobble'.
    VAN DER SAR'S RETIREMENT 'WOBBLE'

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar considered changing his mind about his impending retirement.
    The 40-year-old is set to play his final league game in United's colours when United host Blackpool in the Barclays Premier League with the Dutchman set to be handed the captain's armband.
    Van der Sar will then prepare for his fifth Champions League final when United face Barcelona at Wembley next weekend.
    Such has been his form, Van der Sar's team-mates have called for him to make a U-turn.
    The former Fulham, Ajax and Juventus keeper has withstood those pleas - although it now appears he did ponder playing on before confirming his initial decision with United apparently in the throes of signing a replacement.
    In his programme notes for the match against the Seasiders, Ferguson wrote: "Edwin decided he wants to go out at the top, though he did have a wobble last week.
    "He came to see me and told me he was thinking about changing his mind.
    "I had to tell him to be quick about it because we are in the middle of concluding a deal for a new keeper.
    "He came back a couple of days later to say he would be sticking with his original decision to go, which I think at his age is the right thing for him to do."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 22-05-11

Guus Hiddink - has been advising Chelsea.
    HIDDINK MAINTAINS CHELSEA LINKS

Guus Hiddink has revealed he has acted as an adviser to Chelsea since his spell as caretaker-manager two years ago as he continues to be linked with a possible return to Stamford Bridge.
    The Dutchman took over as caretaker-boss in February 2009 following the sacking of Luiz Felipe Scolari and guided the Blues to the FA Cup, combining his role in west London with his duties as Russia manager.
    Hiddink was highly popular in west London and with Carlo Ancelotti's future as manager uncertain, the current Turkey boss has been one of a number of names linked with the Blues.
    Hiddink has also been offered a seat on the board at Ajax while being linked with an advisory role at PSV Eindhoven.
    He wrote in his column in De Telegraaf: "It works well with Chelsea. Since I left two years ago I've been advising the club on things concerning the squad.
    "Sometimes I become a sounding board. It costs me very little time and I can combine it well with my position with Turkey.
    "There is no conflict at all."
    The 64-year-old, though, is seriously considering the role with Ajax after being approached by Johan Cruyff, adding: "He asked me before to work with Ajax to sit on the board.
    "In itself it seems to me a great challenge but I am worried about the practicalities although it might be less complex than a role of adviser."

Uploads

Arsene Wenger - won't be wasteful.
    WE'LL SPEND IF WE HAVE TO - WENGER

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger insists the club can afford to make a big-money purchase in the summer - if he finds the right man.
    The Gunners are set to strengthen their squad following another trophyless campaign, which could yet end with them having to qualify for the Champions League even if they beat Fulham in their final Barclays Premier League game.
    Wenger will aim to add experience to help his youngsters fulfil their potential with silverware, while also allowing those now surplus to requirements the opportunity to leave.
    Arsenal have been linked with Bolton defender Gary Cahill and Everton centre-back Phil Jagielka. Both England internationals would come with inflated pricetags, but Wenger - if he feels strongly enough about a player - would be prepared to lay out a large chunk of his reported 35million transfer warchest.
    "I like English players. They are good, but I have said the inflation for them is always very high," Wenger said.
    "It is always a lot of money, but if we have to spend we will do it, if we are really convinced.
    "On one player we can afford it, but it depends what will happen."
    Wenger added: "We have lists - number one, two, three - and we will try to achieve them.
    "Unfortunately it does not always go like planned. It is very difficult to make things happen.
    "We will work on strengthening the team. We are definitely out on the market - that is for sure."
    While it has been well documented Wenger has funds at his disposal, with that set for both transfer fees and wages, a major summer shopping spree remains unlikely.
    "I will spend what is needed to spend," he said.
    "It is very difficult to go out and say 'we have so much money', because then people wait for you.
    "Like always we will try to buy at the right price, but we will try to invest."
    Wenger added: "Our costs always go up - our wages go up, we renew contracts of the players, they know the prices which are available on the market, so the prices go up every year."
    As well as looking for a few fresh faces, Wenger is determined to tie up French duo Samir Nasri and Gael Clichy on new deals rather than allow the scenario of either walking away on a free transfer at the end of the 2011/2012 campaign.
    "We will sort that situation out quickly after the end of the season. We need to know very quickly," said the Arsenal boss.
    "We won't allow that [contracts expire] to happen.
    "It has to be resolved before the season starts again."
    Were Arsenal to finish fourth, Wenger accepts he could not deny it would represent a step backwards.
    "What will I say? I will say nothing. It is true," Wenger said.
    "Overall I feel the season is decided by some key moments that happened a few weeks ago [in the Carling Cup final defeat to Birmingham]."

Uploads

Owen Hargreaves - leaves Manchester United.
    MAN UNITED EXIT FOR HARGREAVES

Owen Hargreaves will not be offered a new contract by Manchester United after his injury woe during the last three years.
    The former England international has seen his Old Trafford career wrecked by tendinitis in both knees and has been able to make just two fleeting outings in the last two seasons and only three in the campaign prior to that.
    Having signed a four-year contract after arriving from Bayern Munich in a 17million deal in July 2007, the 30-year-old is now on the lookout for a new club.
    Sir Alex Ferguson admitted it was a tough call to make but had little option but to show the versatile midfielder the door.
    Ferguson told the Mail on Sunday: "This has been a difficult decision knowing how hard the lad has worked to win back his fitness.
    "But we have made it in the hope he will be able to resurrect his career elsewhere."

Uploads

Manuel Neuer - linked with Bayern Munich move.
    NEUER COULD STAY AT SCHALKE

Schalke chairman Clemens Toennies has revealed that goalkeeper Manuel Neuer may stay at the club next season.
    The goalkeeper's protracted move to Bayern Munich is still far from complete, according to the Royal Blues' chief.
    Germany international Neuer has already told Schalke he will not renew his contract, which expires in June 2012.
    And Neuer may have played his last game for the club after leading them to their fifth German Cup title on Saturday with a 5-0 thumping of second division Duisburg.
    However, Toennies claims a deal is far from complete for the 25-year-old shot-stopper.
    "We still have one or two other considerations and it may well be that he will remain a year," Toennies told German television channel ARD.
    "I think that over the next week a decision will be announced.
    "He is a key player, so we are not making it easy."
    Neuer claims he is in the dark about where he will play next season after playing the full 90 minutes at Berlin's Olympic Stadium.
    "I have no idea and I can't say when an announcement will be made, because I have no information and I am also waiting to hear."
    Meanwhile, Schalke's director of sport Horst Heldt said Bayern Munich's reported offer of around 22million will not be renegotiated.
    "Now we have to make a decision," he said.

Uploads

Ancelotti - West Ham link.
    ANCELOTTI WOULD CONSIDER WEST HAM JOB

Carlo Ancelotti has admitted he would be interested in taking the West Ham job if he is shown the door by Chelsea this summer.
    The Italian secured the Double in his first season at the helm of the Stamford Bridge club but has been unable to claim any silverware this season.
    That has led to widespread speculation that Sunday's trip to Everton will be his last in charge of the Blues with a meeting planned with the club's hierarchy once the Premier League season concludes.
    West Ham are searching for a new manager after axing Avram Grant in the immediate aftermath of their relegation to the Championship, and when questioned over whether he would take the Upton Park job, he responded: "Why not?
    "The atmosphere is fantastic also in the Championship. The stadia are full.
    "If you watch a game in Italy in the second division, maybe there will be in the stadium 2,000 people. It's totally different.
    "It doesn't matter if you can manage a top team or a smaller team. For me, it's important to work.
    "I started to train in the (Italian) second division and I was happy in the second division."
    The reasons behind Chelsea's disappointing season are well documented, yet the manager continues to praise his team.
    "I have to say thanks to my players, to every one," Ancelotti said.
    "Because, more or less, they did their best every time.
    "I have to shake their hand, to say thanks."

Uploads

Gareth Bale - linked with Tottenham exit.
    LEVY PLEDGES TO KEEP SPURS STARS

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has assured Spurs fans that the club have no intention of selling the likes of Gareth Bale and Luka Modric this summer.
    Bale's two incredible performances against Inter Milan in the Champions League alerted a number of Europe's biggest clubs to the 21-year-old's potential while Modric has enjoyed his finest season at White Hart Lane to date, picking up the supporters' player of the year award after a series of impressive displays.
    Manchester City, Barcelona and Manchester United have all been linked with big-money moves for the pair in the knowledge that they can offer either player the Champions League football that Spurs cannot.
    Harry Redknapp has repeatedly stated his desire to keep all of his top players, and Levy supported the Tottenham manager's stance, saying in an open letter to supporters: "We have spent years and hundreds of millions of pounds investing in our first-team squad and in creating a settled team.
    "Having quality players means they automatically attract attention from other clubs - but I can assure you that we have no reason to sell, and every intention of retaining, our key players. We shall simply not entertain any approaches for these players."
    Redknapp is also keen to move on at least six members of the first-team squad to make room for new signings and Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton, who will return to White Hart Lane this summer after spending time on loan at Aston Villa and Leicester respectively.
    Levy agrees with Redknapp and says the club will listen to offers for many of their players.
    "We currently have one of the largest squads in the Premier League and, given the 25-man squad rule, it is no longer practical to retain players who are unlikely to qualify within that limit," the Spurs chairman said.
    "We shall, therefore, look to reduce the number of these players during the coming summer transfer window in order to operate both effectively and efficiently."
    Spurs enjoyed a remarkable debut season in the Champions League this term, beating the two Milan giants before being knocked out by Real Madrid in the quarter-finals.
    They have struggled in the league in the final third of the season and need a win against Birmingham to guarantee qualification to the Europa League today.
    Some Spurs fans feel disgruntled about the club's failure to make the top four but Levy insists they should be proud of the team's achievements this year.
    "Harry and his coaching staff have worked with the squad to deliver performances during the season that fans will remember for years to come," Levy added.
    "This season we experienced our first venture in the Champions League and it was one which saw us reach the quarter-final stage.
    "We achieved this playing some of the most entertaining and exciting football of the competition - truly memorable performances.
    "We shall miss and all be disappointed at not qualifying for the Champions League for a subsequent year, but I know that the players will be fully focused next season on returning us to this elite competition."

Uploads

Neil Warnock - QPR manager.
    WARNOCK STAYS, SAYS ECCLESTONE

Bernie Ecclestone has confirmed Neil Warnock will lead QPR into the Barclays Premier League next season.
    The likes of Marcello Lippi, Claudio Ranieri, Giovanni Trapattoni and Martin Jol have all been linked with the Rangers job even though Warnock is the man in position, having just secured promotion by finishing top of the npower Championship.
    Majority shareholder Ecclestone, however, has made it clear Warnock is not going anywhere.
    Speaking in the paddock at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya ahead of the Spanish Grand Prix, the 80-year-old said: "He's staying - 100 per cent.
    "We've never discussed anything about him leaving. He's never wanted to leave and we don't want to get rid of him.
    "He's absolutely taking the club into the Premier League."
    Ecclestone has also dismissed suggestions of a potential takeover of the club by another shareholder, Indian billionaire Lakshmi Mittal.
    It has been claimed Mittal will launch a bid for the club on Monday, but Ecclestone says he is unaware of any likely approach.
    Formula One supremo Ecclestone likened it to rumours surrounding a takeover of the motor sport by Rupert Murdoch.
    Ecclestone added: "Mittal put a statement out to say he was going to buy all the shares on Monday.
    "But it's a bit like these Murdoch people saying they're going to buy CVC (F1's commercial rights holders). They have forgotten to ask if it's for sale."

Uploads

Barton - good season for Newcastle.
    NOLAN URGES BARTON TO STAY

Kevin Nolan is ready to sign a new contract at Newcastle - and has urged midfield colleague Joey Barton to follow suit and help guide the club back into Europe.
    The Liverpudlian pair have been instrumental in the Magpies' strong return to the Barclays Premier League this season.
    Nolan is the club's top scorer with 12 league goals, with Barton adding four and setting up several more for his team-mates.
    A new deal for Nolan is thought to be close and he said: "Over the last two years I feel I've proved myself here but I don't want it to stop at that. I want it to go on over the next three, four or five years."
    And he added: "I'd like us to keep Joey. He's a big player and he has said he wants to stay.
    "We all want Joey to stay, we want to keep this squad together. We can't afford to lose any other big players."
    The club are less hopeful of retaining Spanish full-back Jose Enrique, another key player whose contract ends this summer but who appears to have set his heart on a move away.
    Manager Alan Pardew has prioritised keeping hold of his current stars before moving on to new signings.
    Nolan, the club captain, believes the core of a squad to push for Europe is in place and believes further acquisitions can take them to the next level.
    "The Europa League is the minimum this club should be aiming for," he continued.
    "We have the potential to do it.
    "The most important thing is bringing in the right people, who understand what it takes to play for this club.
    "That's what they do at Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United. As soon as new players arrive, they know what is expected of them. That's what we need here."

Uploads

Roberto Mancini - 'Patrick has been fantastic'.
    MANCINI WANTS VIEIRA AT CITY

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini is keen for Patrick Vieira to remain with the club in a coaching capacity next season.
    The veteran France midfielder is considering hanging up his boots at the end of the current season when his contract with the Eastlands outfit expires.
    Vieira, who will celebrate his 35th birthday in June, has helped City secure Champions League football for next season and their first silverware in 35 years with victory in the FA Cup.
    Having enjoyed great success during his career at club and international level, Mancini is keen for the former Arsenal to continuing providing guidance to his squad.
    The City boss said: "Patrick has been fantastic; every time he played he was like a father for other players.
    "I want to speak to him for his opinion.
    "We can go on and win bigger trophies but we are happy to have created a bit of history.
    "We have arrived in the Champions League after many years. We won an FA Cup - that is really important for us.
    "This is only the start. We want to improve to win the title but it is difficult to say we can fight for it next year."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast