Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 24-05-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 24-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 24-05-11

Berbatov - wants to help United win 20th title.
    BERBATOV CONFIRMS MAN UTD STAY

Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov has confirmed he is staying this summer and will at the very least see out his Old Trafford contract.
    The former Tottenham frontman has played a key role for the Red Devils this season, scoring an impressive 21 Premier League goals.
    The Bulgarian, who joined the club in 2008, has one more year left on his United contract and insists he has no plans to leave before it expires.
    Berbatov is delighted to become a champion once again and has set his sights on winning the title as well next season.
    More immediately, United could become champions of Europe with success over Barcelona in Saturday's Champions League final - and Berbatov is not writing off their hopes of an upset.
    "I have a contract for one more year and I will go nowhere," explained Berbatov.
    "Now I am part of United's 19th title and I want to be part of the 20th, that's my plan.
    "I am the happiest man in the team because I'm a champion and top goalscorer in the league. To win 19 titles is a fantastic achievement.
    "I expect to win against Barcelona. Everybody thinks the Spaniards are favourites but nobody knows who will win."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 24-05-11

Ashley Young - reportedly a Manchester United target.
    BENT FEARS MAN UTD WILL LAND YOUNG

Darren Bent fears Manchester United will prove too strong a lure for his Aston Villa team-mate Ashley Young this summer.
    The England winger is refusing to sign an extension to his contract, which has just 12 months to run.
    And with the Premier League's biggest clubs thought to be circling, Bent does not fancy Villa's chances of keeping their star asset.
    "Every day I'm in his ear going 'please just give us one more year!'," the striker told the Daily Mirror.
    "But when you've got teams like Manchester United coming in for you it makes it very difficult."
    Liverpool are also reportedly interested in Young, who cost Villa £9.65m when he arrived from Watford in January 2007.

Uploads

Patrice Evra - Ferguson persuaded him to stay.
    EVRA CONSIDERED MAN UNITED EXIT

Patrice Evra has revealed he thought about leaving Manchester United last summer.
    The France international has claimed the likes of Real Madrid and Inter Milan were interested in his services.
    However, after holding talks with manager Sir Alex Ferguson, Evra chose to remain at Old Trafford.
    Evra said in the The Sun: "I had thought about leaving last summer for family reasons but something changed my mind late on.
    "There were clubs interested like Real Madrid and Inter Milan.
    "But the manager visited me at my home to persuade me to stay.
    "I know my heart has made the right decision. When Sir Alex talks, it's a good idea to listen!"
    Evra joined the Red Devils from Monaco in 2006 and has since made 169 Premier League appearances for the club.

Uploads

Sergio Aguero - wants to leave Atletico Madrid.
    SERGIO AGUERO WANTS TO LEAVE ATLETICO

Sergio Aguero has confirmed that he wants to leave Atletico Madrid.
    The Argentine striker is set to become one of the most in-demand players in Europe after confirming his desire to quit the Vicente Calderon.
    Reports have long linked Aguero with a move away from the club, but in recent weeks it was claimed he was growing increasingly frustrated with their lack of success.
    Now Aguero has issued a statement confirming he wants to leave, which will now trigger a transfer battle with Chelsea and Atletico's arch-rivals Real Madrid believed to be leading the race.
    "I said long ago that when I wanted to go, I would say so publicly. And the time has come," the statement said.
    "So I keep to my word and here I am. I find it hard to leave Atletico. It hurts and saddens me.
    "I've thought long and hard and I am convinced that I must be true to myself. I do not think I put a ceiling on the ability to keep learning, to keep growing.
    "After five intense years, this stage for me personally is over and I have to give way to a new one.
    "I'm about to turn 23 and I have everything before me. Suffice it to say that this is not an economic issue but strictly a sporting one.
    "So I want to clearly express my appreciation to the club for the efforts they have made for giving me a salary that equates with the largest clubs in the world.''
    Aguero has scored over 100 goals for Atletico since joining from Independiente in 2006 and earlier this season signed a new three-year contact.
    But Aguero admits that he signed the new deal knowing he had the option to leave this summer.
    "I want to say also that this decision has been maturing for some time," he added.
    "The issue was discussed and agreed with Atlético last year when I was renewing my contract.
    "I wanted to sign as a way to give back to the club for all the support they have given me. Had I not done so, they might not have received any more for my transfer. I received then a promise that the club would not stand in my way if I wanted to leave this summer.
    "Therefore, in line with that commitment and my decision, I have asked them to listen to any offers they receive for me from different clubs."

Uploads

Alex McLeish - staying on as Birmingham boss.
    PANNU: NO BIRMINGHAM FIRE-SALE

Chairman Peter Pannu insists Birmingham will not sell any of their leading players on the cheap following relegation from the Barclays Premier League.
    Blues are facing a £25 million downturn in revenue for next season after their two-year spell in the top flight came to an end on Sunday following a 2-1 defeat at Tottenham.
    At least eight players are set to leave - loanees and those whose contracts have expired - but Pannu is adamant the likes of Roger Johnson, Ben Foster, Scott Dann, Nikola Zigic and Craig Gardner will stay at St Andrew's unless a suitable offer is received.
    He said: "If someone offers £3million for one of our top players, they will be told 'forget it'.
    "If someone offers £10million, £15million, then we are more likely to think about it - but nothing is cast in stone.
    "It is too early really to talk about this sort of thing."
    Lee Bowyer, Kevin Phillips, Sebastian Larsson and Stuart Parnaby are out of contract while Alexander Hleb, David Bentley, Matt Derbyshire and Obafemi Martins have ended their loan spells.
    Pannu plans to meet Birmingham manager Alex McLeish to discuss their plans for next season in the next couple of days after club owner Carson Yeung decided to keep faith with the former Rangers boss.
    He said: "Carson was devastated on Sunday and was not happy but a decision was made to retain Alex.
    "I will be meeting him to discuss what we must do for next season. We will do everything in our power to try and win instant promotion."

Uploads

Javier Hernandez - would suit Barca says Messi.
    HERNANDEZ WOULD SUIT BARCA - MESSI

Lionel Messi believes Javier Hernandez has made such a stunning impact at Manchester United this season that clubs like Barcelona and Real Madrid will be watching him with interest.
    The Mexican striker moved to Old Trafford last summer after agreeing a deal with the Red Devils prior to the World Cup, and has taken the Premier League by storm.
    As well as helping United win the domestic title, his performances have also been a key part of their run through to the final of the UEFA Champions League.
    Barcelona will be the opponents in Saturday's showpiece at Wembley and Messi is aware of the threat Hernandez will pose.
    The Argentine feels the 22-year-old could fit in at Barca, while he reckons strike partner Wayne Rooney would also be successful if he came to Spain.
    "They (United) have really good players in every position and like us you need that to be able to win the Champions League," said Messi.
    "Hernandez is definitely one of the reasons why United have done so well.
    "I think it's really cool that a South American player gets a breakthrough at a club like Manchester United. I would say that he has a great potential and he's worth looking after in the future.
    "Hernandez is definitely a player that could fit in here in Barcelona. He speaks Spanish and he's got a great style of play.
    "He's very unpredictable when he's challenging his opponent and that's something we consider as a great strength in our team.
    "I'm sure both Barcelona and Real Madrid are watching a player like him.
    "Wayne Rooney is also a striker that could fill out a role in our Barca team.
    "He's been in the game for many years and he has been at the top since he was very young. I'm sure he would adapt quickly to playing in Spain."

Uploads

Walter Mazzarri - staying on.
    MAZZARRI TO STAY AT NAPOLI

Napoli have announced Walter Mazzarri will remain on as coach next season.
    The Serie A outfit issued a statement on Tuesday morning to end almost three months of speculation over the future of Mazzarri, who is under contract until June 2014 but had been strongly linked to Juventus.
    The statement read: "Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis and coach Mazzarri have held talks that have reinforced their rapport.
    "After two years of collaboration, that has brought Napoli into the Champions League, the president and the coach have put in place the basis for a new co-operation to continue with the construction and growth of the five-year project."
    The former Sampdoria coach joined Napoli in October 2009 following the dismissal of Roberto Donadoni.
    He led the team to a sixth-placed finish in his first year and this season guided them to a hugely impressive third place and qualification to the Champions League.

Uploads

David De Gea - looks set for Old Trafford.
    DE GEA MAN UTD DEAL LOOKS IMMINENT

Reports in Spain suggest Manchester United will announce the signing of Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David De Gea next week.
    United have been looking for Edwin van der Sar's replacement for the last few months after the Dutchman announced he would be retiring.
    The retiring Dutchman has recommended his countryman Maarten Stekelenburg from Ajax - but coincidentally he now looks a target for Atletico, with De Gea seemingly Old Trafford-bound.
    Madrid sources claim the deal is worth 21million euros (£18.3million) with additional add-ons.
    The 20-year-old has already confirmed he will be making a decision on his future at the end of the season, and it now appears he will be heading to England.
    A central midfield is also high on Sir Alex Ferguson's agenda and further reports from across the Channel claim United could have an interest in Arsenal's Samir Nasri.
    Nasri has just 12 months left on his current deal, and L'Equipe claims he is on United's radar - as they also consider Luka Modric and Wesley Sneijder as the long-term replacements for Paul Scholes, who is yet to decide whether he will continue playing next season.

Uploads

Cudicini - new Spurs deal.
    CUDICINI SIGNS ON FOR ANOTHER YEAR

Tottenham goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini has signed a new one-year contract, the Barclays Premier League club have announced.
    The 37-year-old's last deal was due to expire this summer and it had been thought that he could either leave Spurs or retire.
    Harry Redknapp has moved quickly to make sure that the Italian stays at the club for another year though to provide competition for number one Heurelho Gomes.
    Cudicini arrived at Spurs from Chelsea in January 2009 but has failed to remove Gomes from his first-team spot.
    Cudicini has played 25 games for Tottenham in total, including a substitute appearance in the San Siro when he came on to face Inter Milan in a 4-3 defeat to the Italian giants after Gomes' early dismissal.
    The former Lazio goalkeeper started the club's last three matches of the season after Gomes suffered a back injury in training.
    Spurs have been linked with moves for Brad Friedel and Ben Foster this summer, while third-choice stopper Stipe Pletikosa is expected to return to Spartak Moscow after an unsuccessful loan spell with the Londoners.

Uploads

Peter Odemwingie - set for talks over new deal.
    ODEMWINGIE SET FOR BAGGIES TALKS

West Brom are to open talks with leading scorer Peter Odemwingie over a new contract, the player's agent has confirmed.
    Odemwingie capped his first campaign with the Baggies by netting 15 goals in the Barclays Premier League.
    The Nigeria international played a major role in them staying up with his run of scoring in five successive matches in April and May.
    Odemwingie has one year remaining of his current deal plus the option of a further 12 months, but Albion want to award him an improved deal for his efforts.
    His agent David Omigie told the Wolverhampton Express and Star: "Talks should take place any time from now.
    "We are just waiting to hear from the club but things should start any moment now, hopefully in the next week or so.
    "Peter is okay. He is very happy at West Brom and he will consider whatever is put on the table by them.
    "No-one can say for sure what will happen in the future and things will become clearer in the days and weeks ahead."
    Odemwingie, 29, collected another award when he was named the Premier League's African Player of the Season at the inaugural Best of Africa Awards.
    Meanwhile Albion are continuing their efforts to sign Israel international striker Itay Shechter from Hapoel Tel Aviv.
    He is due to hold talks with Baggies head coach Roy Hodgson in the next few days.
    Hannover and Kaiserslautern are also in the hunt for Shechter, who has won nine full caps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast