Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 25-05-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 25-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 25-05-11

Owen - wants to stay.
    MICHAEL OWEN KEEN TO STAY AT UNITED

Michael Owen has confirmed he wants to stay at Manchester United.
    The former England striker picked up the first Barclays Premier League title medal of his career on Sunday and scored United's final league goal of the season during the 4-2 win over Blackpool.
    Owen seems certain to be disappointed in his hopes to grab a place on the bench for Saturday's Champions League final, meaning he might well have played his last game for the Old Trafford outfit.
    The 31-year-old's two-season contract expires this summer and with Danny Welbeck due to return from his loan spell at Sunderland, it appears highly unlikely he will be offered another.
    However, Owen intends to speak with Sir Alex Ferguson after this weekend's showpiece and would love to hear some good news.
    "I want to stay because Manchester United is a fantastic club," he said.
    "I have to find out in the coming week or two and I will be speaking to the manager.
    "This is an important week so there is no point discussing my future with him now, but we will have a chat after the season is over."
    Although the brochure Owen sent out to potential suitors when he left Newcastle two years ago was viewed as a sign of desperation, it is virtually certain he could have found more action elsewhere than he has managed with United.
    Should he be moving on this summer, Owen will have made 47 appearances, mostly as a substitute, scoring 13 goals.
    In addition, he also started last season's Carling Cup triumph over Aston Villa, although it was a hamstring injury suffered in that game that hampered Owen at the start of this season.
    "You can drop your level and play more regularly in a team that is not of as high a standard as Manchester United," observed Owen.
    "But your level stays high when you are training with top players and you enjoy your football much more when you are playing in a good team.
    "It depends which side of the coin you look at.
    "I have certainly enjoyed my time here even though I haven't played as much this year and I have still felt part of it.
    "I have played in 11 Premier League games and qualified for a medal and loved every minute of it."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 25-05-11

Karim Benzema - linked with Arsenal move.
    WENGER CONFIRMS BENZEMA INTEREST

Arsene Wenger has confirmed an interest in Karim Benzema and says it is "not impossible" for Arsenal to sign the Real Madrid striker.
    Benzema has spent the past two seasons at Real after signing from Lyon, but has struggled to establish himself as a first choice under coach Jose Mourinho.
    However, the France international still boasts a healthy strike rate and was also a target for Manchester United prior to joining Real.
    His agent recently stated that the 23-year-old is planning to stay with the Spanish giants, but Arsenal have now been linked with a summer swoop.
    Wenger is expected to be busy in the transfer market in the summer after another season without a trophy and a striker has been mooted as a priority.
    The Gunners boss has expressed his admiration for Benzema and does not appear to rule out the possibility of trying to sign the forward.
    "Signing him does not seem impossible," Wenger is quoted in The Sun. "He's a player that I like.
    "He's intelligent in his movement; he is capable of combining well with others and making a difference, and of doing individual moves as well.
    "So, for me, he's a player who's at the top level in the world."

Uploads

O'Neill - settled dispute.
    MARTIN O'NEILL SETS SIGHTS ON RETURN

Martin O'Neill wants to return to management after settling his dispute with Aston Villa following his abrupt departure from the midlands club last August.
    O'Neill has been out of the game for nine months after leaving Villa five days before the start of the 2010-2011 campaign.
    A League Managers' Association mediation panel failed to resolve the dispute between O'Neill and Villa at the end of 2010.
    But the matter was resolved during an FA Premier League managers' arbitration tribunal in London which had lasted four days.
    O'Neill said: "It has taken a long time to deal with this matter but I am pleased that all issues have now been amicably finalised.
    "I am very proud to have managed Aston Villa and I wish the club all the best for the future.
    "I would also like to thank the LMA and my outstanding legal team for their support and hard work in bringing my case to this very satisfactory conclusion.
    "I am now looking forward to the future and getting back into football management."
    The LMA, in a statement, said: "The LMA is able to confirm that Martin O'Neill and Aston Villa have finalised all issues in relation to his departure from the club in August 2010.
    "The matter was placed before the FA Premier League Managers' Arbitration Tribunal, but was resolved during the course of the hearing."
    O'Neill enjoyed a successful four year association with the midlands club after taking over from David O'Leary in August 2006.
    He led them to three successive top six finishes in the Premier League and the 2010 Carling Cup final.
    Villa issued a short statement which read: "Aston Villa and Martin O'Neill have resolved the matter that had been before the Premier League managers' arbitration tribunal.
    "It was an amicable resolution."
    Club owner Randy Lerner and chief executive Paul Faulkner can now concentrate on sorting out the current managerial situation at Villa.
    They will know next week after the results of medical tests whether O'Neill's successor, Gerard Houllier, will be able to return after suffering heart problems last month.

Uploads

Abdoulaye Meite - West Brom exit.
    WEST BROM MAKE CONTRACT DECISIONS

West Brom have released Giles Barnes, Abdoulaye Meite and Gianni Zuiverloon, but have taken up contract options on Marek Cech and Roman Bednar.
    Ivory Coast defender Meite had been hoping to convince Roy Hodgson he was worthy of a new deal at The Hawthorns, but the free transfer signing of Gareth McAuley appears to have dashed his prospects.
    Dutch full-back Zuiverloon had been expecting to leave after failing to feature since Hodgson took charge as manager and midfielder Barnes has also been let go.
    Sporting technical director Dan Ashworth told the club's official website: "I would like to thank Abdoulaye, Gianni and Giles for all their efforts during their time with us and wish them every success in their future careers.
    "These decisions are never easy, nor are they taken lightly, but we believe they are the right ones for the football club at this present time.
    "Abdoulaye played an important role in the last 11 games in helping the team achieve safety with three matches to spare, which came on the back of his contribution to our promotion success last season.
    "Gianni did very well in the early part of his first season in the Premier League two years ago and also figured prominently last season - but he has found first-team chances much harder to come by this term.
    "Giles was involved in some key moments towards the end of last season's promotion but, like Gianni, has not featured as often as he would have liked this season."
    However, left-back Cech and striker Bednar will be staying at West Brom after the club decided to take up one-year options on their contracts.
    Canadian striker Marcus Haber has not had his 12-month option activated, but has been invited to train with the Baggies in pre-season in a bid to secure a new deal.
    Ashworth added: "Marcus has had an unfortunate season, with his year-long loan at St Johnstone being cut short by a serious knee injury last November.
    "With that in mind, we have offered him the chance to continue his rehabilitation with us over the summer with a view to earning another contract, as by this time he will be fully recovered."

Uploads

David De Gea - close to signing for Man United.
    MAN UNITED CLOSE IN ON DE GEA SIGNING

Manchester United have confirmed they are close to signing Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David De Gea.
    Manager Sir Alex Ferguson has identified the 20-year-old keeper as his preferred successor to the retiring Edwin van der Sar.
    "We've been working on it [De Gea transfer] for quite a while. We identified him quite a while back as one we should go for," Ferguson said.
    "He's a young goalkeeper, very quick, good composure, presence and an outstanding replacement for Van der Sar.
    "We were looking for the same type of qualities as Edwin, because the one great quality Edwin always had was his composure and organisational ability.
    "With David De Gea, he is very similar that way."
    De Gea made 45 appearances for Atletico this season, keeping 24 clean sheets.
    He helped the capital club win the Europa League last term, although he is still to win his first senior cap for Spain.
    United had been linked with Schalke keeper Manuel Neuer, but the Germany international had made clear his desire to stay in his homeland.
    Responding to the news United were closing in on De Gea, Atletico president Enrique Cerezo told Spanish radio station Cadena Ser: "We don't know anything. Officially neither Manchester (United) or the player at this moment have informed us of anything.
    "He (De Gea) knows very well that he can negotiate (with other clubs) but always that they have to pay his buy-out clause."
    Atletico, who finished this season in seventh spot in the Primera Division, had been keen to tie De Gea down to a new contract with his current one running until 2013.
    Recently, Madrid-born De Gea, whose contract buy-out clause is reportedly in the region of 25 millions euros (22million), said he would make a decision about his future by the end of June.

Uploads

De Gea - signing confirmed by Ferguson.
    FERGIE CONFIRMS DE GEA DEAL

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed that Manchester United will sign Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David De Gea this summer.
    The Red Devils have been scouring Europe to find a replacement for veteran shot-stopper Edwin van der Sar, who will retire after Saturday's UEFA Champions League final with Barcelona.
    Talented Spanish youngster De Gea has long been linked with a move to Old Trafford and has won Ferguson's vote ahead of other reported targets such as Ajax's Maarten Stekelenburg and Schalke's Manuel Neuer.
    It is understood aa deal between the Red Devils and Atletico is in place, with a fee to be in the region of 21million euros (18.3million) with additional add-ons.
    And Ferguson feels that the 20-year-old is the ideal man to fill the giant void which will be left by the exit of veteran Dutchman Van der Sar this summer.
    The Scot told Sky Sports News: "We've been working on it for quite a while, we identified him a while back as one we should go for.
    "He's a young goalkeeper, very quick, with good composure and presence.
    "He's an outstanding replacement for Edwin van der Sar.
    "We were looking for someone with the same types of qualities. One great quality Edwin always had was his composure and organisational ability.
    "David De Gea is very similar that way."

Uploads

Boateng - 'entirely' a Milan player.
    MILAN REACH BOATENG AGREEMENT

AC Milan now hold complete ownership of midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng after reaching an agreement with Genoa.
    Having been bought from Portsmouth by Genoa last summer, the 24-year-old was still part-owned by the latter despite spending this season at AC Milan.
    A part-ownership agreement existed between the two Italian clubs, but Milan now have 100 per cent of the rights to Boateng following talks on Tuesday in which they agreed to buy-out the second half of his contract.
    "Two clubs like Genoa and Milan cannot argue so we've come to an agreement and Boateng is entirely a Milan player," said Genoa president Enrico Preziosi.
    As part of the deal, part-owned players Alberto Paloschi, Marco Amelia, Nnamdi Oduamadi and Gianmarco Zigoni have transferred to Milan, while Greek centre-back Sokratis Papastathopoulos has returned to Genoa.
    The only player still owned by both parties is young striker Giacomo Beretta, who will play with Genoa next season.

Uploads

Gomes - linked with PSV Eindhoven return.
    PSV CHIEF CLAIMS GOMES 'INTEREST'

PSV technical director Marcel Brands claims Tottenham goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes is "interested" in a return to PSV Eindhoven in the summer.
    The Brazilian moved to north London in 2008 after impressing during a four-year stint with Dutch giants PSV.
    However, a string of high-profile errors at Spurs this season have prompted speculation the keeper could leave White Hart Lane, with manager Harry Redknapp reportedly on the hunt for a replacement.
    PSV are now looking at possibilities to get the 30-year-old back, with Swede Andreas Isaksson likely to be offloaded by the Eredivisie club in the summer.
    Brands told Voetbal International: "He (Gomes) has let me know he is interested in a return to PSV.
    "I have let him know I will look what we can do for each other. There is not much more at the moment."
    Gomes, capped 11 times for the Brazil national side, has one year remaining on his deal at White Hart Lane.

Uploads

Samir Nasri - linked with Manchester United move.
    EVRA OFFER SAMIR NASRI INCENTIVE

Patrice Evra has suggested that Samir Nasri should join Manchester United if he wants to win trophies.
    Arsenal playmaker Nasri enjoyed an excellent first half of the season at the Emirates Stadium before injuries decreased his impact in the second half of the campaign.
    The Gunners also suffered another disappointing season as they again failed to win a trophy, while; in contrast, United lifted the Premier League and are preparing to meet Barcelona in the Champions League final.
    Evra consequently thinks that Old Trafford is the place to be for success amid reports that Sir Alex Ferguson wants to sign Nasri, but the left-back is also surprised by the speculation about his compatriot.
    "Really? I didn't know that," Evra told L'Equipe when informed of United's reported interest in Nasri.
    "Anyway, if he comes, he has to know there is no room for mistakes. Each year you are playing to win. That is Manchester's culture.
    "Each year it is a guarantee of a title. I have been at Manchester for five years now and I can't remember how many trophies I have won. 13? 15?
    "So, 'Petit Prince', if you want to become King you know where you have to go."

Uploads

Joey Barton - no new Magpies deal.
    AGENT: NO NEWCATLE DEAL FOR BARTON

Joey Barton's agent has revealed Newcastle will not be offering the midfielder a new contract to stay at St James' Park.
    Barton is entering the final 12 months of his deal with the Magpies this summer and the club were thought to be keen on agreeing an extension.
    However, after talks with the player's representatives Newcastle have decided not to offer a new contract to Barton and will allow the former Manchester City man to see out his current contract.
    Barton's agent, Willie McKay, has confirmed the St James' Park outfit have decided not to offer the 28-year-old a new deal after holding talks with club officials over his future.
    "I had a meeting with Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias and club secretary Lee Charnley and they have indicated Joey will not be offered a new contract," McKay told skysports.com.
    "Joey will continue to be a Newcastle player next season and then he will leave on a free transfer at the end of his contract.
    "Joey would have loved to have extended his stay at Newcastle, but unfortunately it is not to be.
    "Joey has loved his time at Newcastle and nothing will change his commitment for the club next season.
    "Obviously we will be monitoring the situation next January to try and find a new club for Joey as he can speak to clubs from abroad in January."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast