Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 28-05-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 28-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 28-05-11

Hiddink - could return to Chelsea.
    HIDDINK CLOSER TO CHELSEA RETURN

Guus Hiddink is moving closer to a return as Chelsea manager after admitting he would consider any offer to go back to Stamford Bridge.
    Hiddink is guiding Turkey through a Euro 2012 qualification campaign but has not dismissed out of hand a return to the role he filled on an interim basis after Luiz Felipe Scolari was dismissed early in 2009.
    The 64-year-old Dutchman has already talked about his appetite for club football and a return to the Barclays Premier League club to work for owner Roman Abramovich would appeal having previously worked for him at Chelsea and indirectly for the Russian national team.
    Abramovich supported Hiddink's dual role with both Chelsea and Russia through his financial support of the Russian team.
    Hiddink, at a Turkey training camp, said of speculation linking him with Chelsea: "If there was a concrete offer, then I would think about it."
    But Hiddink is unlikely to break his contract with Turkey, who face a crucial qualifier with Belgium in Brussels on Friday, with the nation in contention to finish second in Group A and secure a November play-off ahead of the finals in Poland and Ukraine.
    However, Hiddink would not commit to a possible return to take over from Carlo Ancelotti.
    He added: "There's nothing concrete. You cannot go into all kind of speculation or rumours because there's nothing concrete. The moment things are concrete, I'll go to where I have to be, direct.
    "First, get this game done next Friday, a difficult game, you know. Then we'll see."
    Meanwhile former Chelsea striker Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink believes Hiddink would be the obvious replacement for Ancelotti.
    Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp and Porto boss Andre Villas-Boas have been mooted as potential replacements, although Hiddink is rumoured to be Abramovich's first choice.
    The former Holland boss managed Chelsea to FA Cup glory during his short time in charge in 2009 and Hasselbaink believes a return to Stamford Bridge would make sense.
    "I know him very well," he said. "He was the one that gave me my first cap for Holland.
    "He is a very intelligent football man and a very good football man.
    "He has already been here at Chelsea and was a success, so I can understand him being the favourite.
    "Guus has already proved himself, he has already been here.
    "That would be an easy one I think."
    While speculation over who should take the helm at Chelsea is rife, another of the club's former players says he has little sympathy for the outgoing Ancelotti.
    Marcel Desailly made 156 appearances for the Blues up until 2004 and admitted he understood the thinking behind the Italian's removal.
    "That is the life of a manager," said the former France centre-back.
    "He did well in the first year and won two trophies, but the owner did not support the fact that this year he won nothing.
    "The message to the players was still positive but the management have clearly decided that was not enough.
    "I love (bookmakers favourite) Harry Redknapp, but it doesn't matter who they pick. I just want them to decide very quickly.
    "That way we can get on with planning and dreaming of victory."
    Desailly was speaking at the MasterCard Sport Court Debate, hosted by Garth Crooks. Ahead of today's Champions League final the panel debated 'Which League has made the greatest contribution to the UEFA Champions League'

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 28-05-11

Bale - wants Redknapp to stay.
    BALE: SPURS MUST KEEP REDKNAPP

Gareth Bale has warned Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy that the club could return to an era of dark instability if manager Harry Redknapp is allowed to leave for Chelsea.
    Bookmakers slashed the odds on Redknapp taking the hot seat at Stamford Bridge after a surge of three-figure bets were placed on Tottenham manager on Thursday.
    Redknapp insists he is happy at his current club but the fluent attacking football he has brought to Tottenham, and his success in the Champions League this year, make him a plausible target for Roman Abramovich, who is looking for a new manager after sacking Carlo Ancelotti last week.
    Redknapp has succeeded where Martin Jol and Juande Ramos failed in getting the best out of Bale, who has become one of the most sought-after players on the planet thanks to a series of stunning displays this year, most notably the two performances against Inter Milan in the Champions League.
    The 21-year-old says Redknapp has been key to his and the club's progression, and he therefore wants him to remain.
    "I want him to stay, definitely," said Bale.
    "Since I've been at the club we've had three managers and it's obviously nice to have him there because he has brought a bit of stability.
    "We have got used to him and how he manages and how he wants us to play so it will be great to keep him.
    "Nobody wants him to go and the club, I'm sure, will do everything they can to keep him."
    Bale's own future has also been a source of constant speculation throughout the year.
    The Welshman signed a new contract in March, but rumours persist of big-money bids from the likes of Manchester City, AC Milan and Inter this summer.
    Bale admits that playing abroad would one day appeal to him, with Barcelona being one possible destination, but he insists he is happy at Tottenham for now.
    "I left home when I was 15 and it was quite difficult then but if I have to move abroad then it's something I wouldn't be scared of," Bale said.
    "Barcelona play great, great football but I'm happy where I am.
    "I'm focused on what we want to achieve as a team next season and I'm enjoying my football here. I'm still 21, I'm getting a good run in the team and I'm still learning my football."
    Gareth Bale is a Sony 3D World ambassador and was speaking from the Sony Stadium part of the UEFA Champions Festival.

Uploads

Vaughan - three-year deal at Norwich.
    VAUGHAN SIGNS FOR CANARIES

Norwich have signed forward James Vaughan from Everton for an undisclosed fee as Canaries boss Paul Lambert looks to build a squad capable of keeping the East Anglia club in the Barclays Premier League.
    The former England Under-21 international has agreed a three-year deal at Carrow Road, subject to the completion of relevant paperwork. Vaughan has had loan spells at Leicester, Derby and Crystal Palace in the past few seasons after struggling to establish himself at Goodison Park.
    The 22-year-old came up through the ranks with Everton but his first-team opportunities remained limited and he has now become the first new addition to Lambert's Norwich squad ahead of their return to top-flight football.
    Lambert, who has steered the Canaries to back-to-back promotions, believes Vaughan fits the profile of the type of player he requires.
    "He's someone who fits in with the group in the sense that he's hungry to do well and has great desire," he told canaries.co.uk.
    "He's already shown great potential as a young player with Everton and when I have seen him playing for them and for Crystal Palace I have always thought he was a threat in and around the box.
    "I think James will be fantastic for us and provide extra competition for places, which is always good to have," he added.
    Vaughan has agreed personal terms as well as passing a medical and the move only requires final approval from the relevant authorities before it is rubber-stamped.
    The signing of Vaughan is likely to be the first of a number of acquisitions as Lambert attempts to keep Norwich in the Premier League, and Millwall striker Steve Morison may also be on the Scot's radar.
    The 27-year-old Wales international has had a transfer request turned down by the club after Norwich reportedly had two bids for him turned down.
    But Millwall are determined to keep hold of their top scorer, who has hit 40 goals in two seasons since arriving at The Den from Stevenage.
    A statement from the Lions read: "Millwall can confirm the club has received a written transfer request from Steve Morison. This request has been rejected.
    "There has been regular speculation surrounding Steve's future but he was rewarded with a new contract at Millwall in February which runs through to June 2013."

Uploads

Enrique - to be offered 'fantastic' deal.
    PARDEW TO OFFER ENRIQUE NEW DEAL

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has claimed Jose Enrique will be offered a "fantastic" new contract to keep him on Tyneside.
    Having seen his hopes of retaining Joey Barton's services all but dashed this week, Pardew has revealed the club will present the Spaniard's representatives with a tempting offer next week.
    It has seemed apparent for some time that Enrique's future lies way from St James' Park with Liverpool, Bayern Munich and even Real Madrid having been credited with an interest in him.
    However, the manager, who on Friday tied up teenage full-back Shane Ferguson to a new five-year contract, is keeping his fingers crossed.
    Pardew told the Evening Chronicle: "We have been waiting to see his [Enrique's] representatives, they are due here in the early part of next week.
    "We are going to make Jose a very, very good offer and we are hoping he is going to accept it.
    "We are realistic about Jose because the ball is in his court on that one, not in ours.
    "He will be offered a fantastic contract here, he knows that, but still it is going to be down to his decision. I am still hopeful."
    Supporters who saw Andy Carroll sold in January despite Pardew's insistence that he was going nowhere, and then Barton's contract offer withdrawn earlier this week, could be forgiven for treating his comments with some scepticism.
    There is little doubt that he wants to keep the left-back, who has been one of the club's most consistent performers over the last two seasons.
    However, the former Villarreal defender has spoken of his ambitions to play Champions League football, and his current employers are currently nowhere near doing that.
    If he did leave, a sizeable return on the 6.5million Sam Allardyce paid for his services during the summer of 2007 might soften the blow, but lead to further questions over just how ambitious the club is.
    With Argentinian duo Fabricio Coloccini and Jonas Gutierrez both close to Enrique and skipper Kevin Nolan yet to agree a new deal, it might also lead to further uncertainty, the last thing the Magpies need as they attempt to build upon a creditable first season back in the Barclays Premier League.
    In the circumstances, Pardew and his staff have drawn up contingency plans and Toulouse defender Cheik M'Bengue is understood to be among a series of potential targets.
    However, longer-term, 19-year-old Ferguson's decision to commit his immediate future to the club will have come as a welcome boost.
    Derry-born Ferguson made his senior debut at left-back in the Carling Cup second round victory at Accrington Stanley in August, but also impressed in a midfield role in the final two games of the league campaign.
    Ferguson said: "I'm really happy. I've enjoyed this season so much and the new contract has just been the icing on the cake for me.
    "It's a great thrill to play for the club and the support I have had from the fans since making my debut really means a lot so I'm just delighted to be with Newcastle for the next five years now."
    Ferguson's talent has already been recognised by Northern Ireland at senior international level with a friendly appearance as a substitute against Italy as a 17-year-old.
    However, he is also eligible to represent the Republic of Ireland as he has not yet figured in a competitive game for the North, and he is the latest player to find himself at the centre of a tug of love between the two nations.
    That has come as no surprise to his club manager, who is confident he has a real prospect on his hands.
    Asked about the defender's international pedigree, Pardew said: "If I were the two national managers, I would be courting that boy because I think he has got a bright future."

Uploads

Pavlyuchenko - strong desire to stay at Spurs.
    PAVLYUCHENKO KEEN TO STAY

Roman Pavlyuchenko says he wants to stay at Tottenham despite his concerns about a lack of first-team starts under manager Harry Redknapp.
    Pavlyuchenko scored 14 goals last term, making him the club's second-highest goalscorer, but was regularly overlooked throughout the campaign, with Rafael van der Vaart and Peter Crouch being Redknapp's first-choice pairing.
    The Russian, who started 25 of the club's 53 games, found form at the end of the campaign, leading the Spurs boss to confirm that he wanted the 29-year-old to stay at White Hart Lane this summer.
    Contract talks that began earlier this season have so far failed to result in an extension beyond his current deal, which is due to run out in 2013, and Redknapp has repeatedly stated that he wants to sign a new striker this summer.
    Pavlyuchenko has been linked with a return to the club which he left to join Spurs, Spartak Moscow, but he says he sees his future at Tottenham.
    "There is a strong desire to pursue a career in Tottenham, with whom I have a contract," Pavlyuchenko told Sport Express.
    "A new contract will be discussed after the holidays - my agent will travel to London to hold talks with the leaders of Tottenham."
    Redknapp admitted after the striker scored both goals in Sunday's 2-1 over Birmingham that he was enamoured with Pavlyuchenko's talent, but equally frustrated with his lackadaisical attitude.
    The 64-year-old maintains he has a good relationship with Pavlyuchenko but the Russian admits he is frustrated about not playing every week.
    "He (Redknapp) can play one team one week, and then play a very different team the next. It is hard to understand," said Pavlyuchenko.
    Pavlyuchenko's double against Birmingham meant Spurs ended up fifth in the league, one place below the previous season's finish.
    He thinks that the club can bounce back next year and finish inside the top three.
    "I don't think we can become champions because Manchester United are strong but we certainly are able to take a place in the top three," he said.

Uploads

McCoist - determined to attrack quality at Ibrox.
    McCOIST VOWS TO SPEND WISELY

Rangers manager Ally McCoist claims he and the club's new owner, Craig Whyte, have "the same hopes and desire for success".
    The two men met at Ibrox following McCoist's return from the United States, where he took part in a white water rafting expedition for the Rangers Charity Foundation.
    The former Light Blues striker is entering unchartered territory as a new boss after taking over from Walter Smith.
    He is looking to bolster his squad for next season while hoping to retain "key players" and is confident of being backed in that quest by Whyte, who is only weeks into his tenure at Ibrox.
    "We have had a number of discussions since the takeover and our latest meeting was to agree on our priorities for next season," McCoist told the club's official website.
    "The most important thing to emerge is that we both hold the same hopes and desire for success for the team and the club and that's a great start.
    "We are both keen to re-sign key players who did so brilliantly in helping land our latest league title and we are determined to ensure that we can attract players of a certain quality to Ibrox.
    "I don't want to be too specific at this stage but I have a clear list of signing targets in mind and that will be my priority over the next few weeks.
    "I plan to spend wisely on transfers and new contracts in order to maximise benefit to the club. It's all about getting the right balance.
    "We invested heavily in Nikica Jelavic and every penny of that looks well spent.
    "However, it's not always the case of the more you spend on a particular player the better.
    "We've had players coming through the ranks from the academy, loan players who have done a tremendous job and others who did not cost a great deal of money.
    "It's more important to get the blend right.
    "The club enjoyed great success last season and I am looking forward to building on that success in my new role as Rangers manager."
    lend right."

Uploads

Vieira - starting talks regarding his future at City.
    VIEIRA KEEN ON CITY STAY

Patrick Vieira is hoping to stay at Manchester City for what could be the final season of his career next year.
    Vieira, who turns 35 next month, signed for City 18 months ago as a back-up option in midfield, but he managed 34 appearances for Roberto Mancini this season.
    Along the way he scored five goals, three of them in the early stages of the FA Cup where City went on to end their 35-year wait for a trophy with a 1-0 win over Stoke in the final.
    It was expected he would leave the club this year, but Vieira hopes that is not the case.
    "It's really nice because although I don't play that much, I've felt a real connection with the fans, particularly over the last month," he said on the club's website.
    "They've really made me feel happy and at Bolton last week it was special because they were singing to me while I warmed up and I really enjoyed it, so I'd like to thank them.
    "We are starting to talk about the future only now because the target we had was to qualify for the Champions League and win the FA Cup first, now we have achieved that so I will sit down and discuss things with the club and a decision will be made very soon.
    "I really want to stay here because I've loved my time with City and as I said, the fans have been fantastic. I just need to speak to the manager and then with the board and try to find a solution that suits everyone, but if there is a possibility, I would love to stay here."

Uploads

Steve Cotterill - looking to boost Pompey's squad.
    COTTERILL PROMISES EXCITING BUYS

Steve Cotterill believes Portsmouth fans will be excited by the players that are on the verge of joining the club.
    Cotterill needs the takeover of the club to be completed before he can officially unveil two players, who are committed to moves to Fratton Park.
    The Pompey boss refused to name the pair but insists supporters with be delighted with their signatures.
    "I have two on hold at the moment. They are the only two I can put on hold," he told The News.
    "Others require a little bit more work. Even if they cost money, I would want to sign them. Definitely. They are good players who can come into our team and the fans will be happy with them.
    "Most of all, they are free transfers, which is fantastic for us. If I could sign all the players I have lined up I would be delighted - and so would the fans."

Uploads

Houllier - missed the final month of the season.
    VILLA PONDER GERARD HOULLIER'S FUTURE

Aston Villa will assess the results of final medical tests undergone on Friday by manager Gerard Houllier to determine whether he can return to his post, it is understood.
    Houllier was sidelined from his duties for the final month of last season after suffering a heart problem.
    Villa's medical staff will study the test results over the next few days before a decision on Houllier's future is made, probably by Wednesday.
    Sources close to Villa told Press Association Sport last week that the test results will be the "driving force" behind the next step to be taken.
    Caretaker manager Gary McAllister has maintained that Houllier wants to return to Villa and has been making plans for pre-season training and next season while recuperating.
    But Villa owner Randy Lerner will have the ultimate say on whether he feels Houllier is fit enough to return to work.
    He is mindful of Houllier's long-term health being the number one priority but equally also wanting assurances it will not deteriorate should the 63-year-old come back to Villa.
    Villa are keen to resolve the issue one way or the other so they can start planning in earnest for the new campaign - and a new manager - if it is the worst scenario regarding Houllier.
    They are anxious to avoid a repeat of last summer when Martin O'Neill opted to leave five days before the season got under way.
    If Houllier does have to go, Villa would look to bring in a replacement well before they report back for pre-season training in early July.
    Meanwhile, sources close to Villa are playing down stories that Ashley Young's expected move to Manchester United has already been completed.
    They are adamant any potential talks will not happen until after tonight's Champions League final.
    Villa are resigned to Young leaving after his reluctance to sign a new contract.

Uploads

Steve Morison - wants Norwich move.
    MORISON WANTS NORWICH MOVE

Millwall striker Steve Morison has underlined his desire to move to Barclays Premier League newcomers Norwich after the Lions turned down "a couple of bids" for his services.
    The 27-year-old Wales international had a written transfer request rejected on Friday after the Canaries' interest emerged.
    "Norwich have made a couple of bids that have been turned down so I've done what I've done," Morison told BBC Sport.
    "The Premier League is where everyone wants to play and I want to try to take it if they [Millwall] let me.
    "I have put in a transfer request and we'll see what happens, it is out of my hands now."
    Norwich boss Paul Lambert is determined to enhance his striking options ahead of next season having already signed former England Under-21 international James Vaughan from Everton for a fee that could rise to 2.5million.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast