Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 29-05-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 29-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 29-05-11

Guardiola celebrates with his Barca players.
    PEP GUARDIOLA: I'M GOING NOWHERE

Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola says he will be staying at the Nou Camp for one more season at least after his side beat Manchester United 3-1 in the Champions League final at Wembley.
    When asked if he was interested in the vacant job at Chelsea he said: "I will say it again, I have another year on my contract and I intend to work it out. You have girls falling at your feet when you win but that can change overnight.
    "I feel privileged to have these players. Everyone has worked towards this. We are very happy.
    "But I have to look inside of me. I am happy to be here as coach of these guys. but it is not an easy job."
    He also believes it is not realistic to try to emulate the 25 years Sir Alex Ferguson has been at the helm at Old Trafford in Spain.
    "In England it can be 25 years, in Spain it is impossible," said Guardiola.
    "They are different ways. For him to be manager for 25 years and create new teams and new teams he has my admiration. I know it is difficult.
    "If you play this football (like Barcelona) you need these players. At another club maybe I would have a problem to find these kind of players."
    Guardiola singled out the mercurial Lionel Messi for special praise.
    He said: "Lionel is the best player I've ever seen, probably the best ever. He made the difference. Messi is unique, a one-off. I just hope he doesn't get fed up. When he doesn't play well it is because something is wrong with his environment. Let's hope he can continue playing well."
    Guardiola was unsure, however, whether Barcelona were the best club team of all time.
    "I don't know," he said.
    "It is impossible to say. I didn't see the Real Madrid of Di Stefano and the Ajax of Cruyff. We try to play as well as possible. I hope in the next 10 or 15 years the people will remember them and have enjoyed them."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 29-05-11

Morison - could move to Norwich.
    LIONS REJECT MORISON REQUEST

Millwall have rejected a transfer request from Wales international striker Steve Morison, indicating they want him to honour his contract.
    The 27-year-old asked for a move after Premier League new boys Norwich reportedly had two bids for him turned down.
    But Millwall are determined to keep hold of their top scorer, who has hit 40 goals in two seasons since arriving at The Den from Stevenage.
    A statement from the Lions read: "Millwall can confirm the club has received a written transfer request from Steve Morison. This request has been rejected.
    "There has been regular speculation surrounding Steve's future but he was rewarded with a new contract at Millwall in February which runs through to June 2013."

Uploads

Ramsey - expecting transfer activity.
    RAMSEY EXPECTING ARSENAL SIGNINGS

Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey is expecting manager Arsene Wenger to be a busy man in the transfer market this summer.
    It proved a season of frustration for The Gunners as the north Londoners' trophy drought extended into an unwanted sixth campaign.
    Arsenal had been challenging on four fronts before their Carling Cup final defeat to Birmingham was followed by exits in the UEFA Champions League and FA Cup, while their title hopes also then fell by the wayside.
    Wenger has been tipped to splash the cash this summer and bring in the players needed to take the club to a new level, a move backed by the Wales international.
    Ramsey is well aware of the names being linked with a move to Emirates Stadium and he expects there to be player movement during the close season.
    "I expect Arsene will be active in the transfer market," he told The People. "There have been a few names mentioned and I am sure there will be a few players in and out.
    "Obviously we haven't won anything for a long time. The pressure has grown and the fans have been quite vocal lately. But the spirit in the dressing room is the same as always.
    "Everyone gets on with each other so there is nothing wrong there and, hopefully, we can win a trophy next season."
    Ramsey added: "Personally, next season will be a big one for me as it's my first full campaign since my injury.
    "I'm pretty happy with what I've done this season. I got myself back to match fitness and I'm happy with that.
    "Like everybody else I'll have a break now, but I know I can have a good season when it gets going again."

Uploads

Sinclair - eager for promotion.
    BLUES EXIT WAS RIGHT DECISION - SINCLAIR

Swansea winger Scott Sinclair is preparing for the biggest match of his career on Monday safe in the knowledge he made the right decision to leave Chelsea last summer - and they made a mistake in letting him go.
    Sinclair will walk out at Wembley against Reading in the npower Championship play-off final aiming to cap a stunning first full season in professional football which was already brought with it 24 goals, some electrifying displays and a host of plaudits.
    But the 22-year-old admits he had to leave Stamford Bridge to prove his worth and obtain the one thing it is obvious he so clearly craves - first-team football.
    Sinclair joined Chelsea as a highly-rated youngster in 2005 but was only handed just over a dozen appearances in total, instead learning his trade during a series of loan spells at Plymouth, QPR, Charlton, Crystal Palace, Birmingham and Wigan.
    That all changed last summer when Swans boss Brendan Rodgers, who worked with Sinclair during his days under Jose Mourinho, prized him away to south Wales for an initial 500,000, a deal which could break the 1million mark for the first time in City's history.
    "I think this season I've shown Chelsea I think they made a mistake to let me go at such a young age," said a quietly spoken Sinclair.
    "You're not breaking into Chelsea as a 20, 21-year-old, you have to be an established player to be playing at that level. The pressures are that you've got to win trophies and win games, you haven't got time to make a mistake in the game as a Chelsea player.
    "So the development at Chelsea is much more different. As a player you need to make mistakes to learn from it."
    Sinclair added: "Some of the teams, like Liverpool, they're bringing a few players through. Arsenal, with Jack Wilshere. The odd two or three.
    "If one or two are getting through you've got a little bit of hope, but at Chelsea there's no hope at all because there's no players who have come through at all. I think the last player was John Terry and he's 30-something now.
    "For any young player, it is magnificent to be at a top three or four club at 17, 18 years old to learn off the big players and understand what it takes to become one of those.
    "I've learned a lot, I'm not going to slag Chelsea off because they've helped me a lot to show what I need to do.
    "It's just now I need to stand on my own two feet to be playing every week and showing them what they've missed."
    Sinclair insists he returned from a season-long loan spell with Wigan in 2009/10 with the mindset "right, that's it, I'm definitely 100% moving on to somewhere I can be playing every week and be settled as a football player".
    He admits Rodgers' influence played a massive part in his decision to move to the Liberty Stadium, something which has also led to his recognition at England Under-21 level and a place in Stuart Pearce's squad for this summer's European Championship.
    But first on the agenda are Reading on Monday, and Sinclair is excited as Swans stand just 90 minutes away from an historic promotion.
    "Monday is the highlight of my career so far, definitely," he said.
    "I don't care if I don't score, all I care about is winning and going to the Premier League with Swansea. I'm not fussed if I get a goal or whoever scores. If I get a goal and we win then it's a bonus."

Uploads

Berbatov - left out of the starting line-up.
    SIGNS POINT TO BERBATOV EXIT

Dimitar Berbatov looks certain to discover within the next couple of weeks whether he has any future at Manchester United.
    Although the Bulgarian and his representatives have repeatedly stressed there is no desire to leave the club, his prospects of remaining at Old Trafford have never looked bleaker.
    Not only was the 30-year-old left out of Ferguson's Champions League squad at Wembley on Saturday night, the man who took his place, Michael Owen, remained on the bench throughout the 90 minutes even when United were desperately in need of a goal to exert some pressure on Barcelona.
    So, if Berbatov finds himself not only behind Wayne Rooney and Javier Hernandez in the striking pecking order, but also a player Ferguson opted not to call on in a crisis, and whose own Red Devils future is under a major cloud, it is hard to see how the former Tottenham man can have any meaningful role.
    And, once the United boss has decided a player is surplus to requirements, they soon get the message, as Ruud van Nistelrooy, David Beckham, Paul Ince and Jim Leighton to name but four can testify.
    "It was a difficult decision," said Ferguson in the aftermath of the chastening 3-1 defeat.
    "It was not something I found easy. I wanted to overload my substitutes in the midfield positions because that was the area which most important in terms of the way Barcelona play.
    "It came down to a choice between Michael Owen and Dimitar Berbatov. My view was that if we needed someone to nick a goal in the last few minutes of the game, Michael Owen, with his experience, was the man."
    A bit like Juan Sebastian Veron, when Berbatov became Ferguson's last significant purchase in August 2008 the idea was to bring more subtlety to a side basking in their Premier League and Champions League double.
    As with Veron, getting Berbatov's obvious talent to fit in with the general pattern of United's quick play has proved exceptionally difficult.
    There have been flashes of inspiration and the former Bayer Leverkusen star carried United during the first half of the campaign just ended with Rooney in the doldrums.
    However, Ferguson quickly had reservations.
    He left Berbatov out of his starting line-up for the 2009 Champions League final against Barcelona in Rome and wasted no time in axing the forward this term once Hernandez started to exhibit his potential on a regular basis.
    It was not lost on Ferguson that of the 20 goals that secured Berbatov a share of the Premier League's Golden Boot prize, 11 came in just three games.
    His hat-trick against Liverpool in September will live long in the memory, as will the five-goal haul in the destruction of Blackburn, making him only the fourth Premier League player to achieve such a tally.
    However, Berbatov has scored only twice since January and was chiefly responsible for the wasted chances that cost United their FA Cup semi-final against Manchester City.
    Ahead of that game, Ferguson had appeared to lay down the gauntlet to Berbatov, stating: "It is unfortunate for Dimitar because he is a fantastic player. But the reasons are obvious.
    "Every manager and every player in the country has faced that situation in their career when someone emerges to challenge you."
    Berbatov's subsequent performance did not portray him in a positive light.
    Since then, the only games he has started were the Champions League semi-final second-leg against Schalke and the season-ending win over Blackpool, both of which saw Ferguson rest a number of key men.
    He still has a year left on his contract and United do have the option of adding an additional season should they so wish.
    But talks over a new deal stalled some time ago and there have been no signs of a resumption being ordered.
    Now it seems Ferguson has decided further work is futile.
    Once he has come to such a concrete decision, the Scot's normal tactic would be to usher the unwanted player through the exit door at the earliest opportunity.
    In this instance, it would be even more likely given this summer seems certain to be one of change, and expense.
    United officials rejected claims Berbatov had abandoned his team-mates on Saturday night, insisting he was in the visitors' dressing room offering support.
    However, barring an unlikely change of mind from Ferguson, it seems an arm will soon be required round the shoulder of this most thoughtful of characters as he assesses where his United career has gone so badly wrong.

Uploads

Malouda - backs Hiddink.
    MALOUDA RESPECTS GUUS HIDDINK

Florent Malouda believes Guus Hiddink would do a good job at Chelsea having worked wonders during his short spell in charge.
    The Blues are on the lookout for a new man at the helm following Carlo Ancelotti's exit at the end of the Premier League season.
    Hiddink worked at Stamford Bridge for four months until May 2009 and helping the West Londoners win the FA Cup final.
    The Dutchman is among the bookies' favourites to succeed Ancelotti and Malouda for one would love to have him back.
    "I have a lot of respect for him," he told Sky Sports News. "When he came we were in a difficult situation in terms of results.
    "He brought back confidence I think. He improved our game and led us in the Champions League and FA Cup.
    "He put the club back on the right way. It was short term. It was really quick, but it was really intense.
    "You have to take your time to make the right choices and that is what the board is doing.
    "I think we have a strong squad and when you want to add ingredient to the squad you have to take your time."

Uploads

Macheda - expected to remain at Old Trafford.
    AGENT - MACHEDA SET TO STAY

Federico Macheda's agent believes there is a '90 per cent chance' the Italian will stay at Manchester United.
    The 19-year-old has returned to Old Trafford for treatment on an injury after being loaned out to Sampdoria in January.
    Despite being linked to Serie A sides Fiorentina and Parma - and having previously not ruled out a return to Sampdoria - his agent Giovanni Bia believes the teenage hot-shot will remain with the Red Devils.
    Bia told the Daily Star Sunday: "He returned to Manchester for treatment on an injury he picked up.
    "I will speak to Sir Alex Ferguson after the Champions League final but there is a 90 per cent chance that Macheda will stay at Manchester United."

Uploads

Ramsey - expecting transfer activity.
    RAMSEY EXPECTING ARSENAL SIGNINGS

Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey is expecting manager Arsene Wenger to be a busy man in the transfer market this summer.
    It proved a season of frustration for The Gunners as the north Londoners' trophy drought extended into an unwanted sixth campaign.
    Arsenal had been challenging on four fronts before their Carling Cup final defeat to Birmingham was followed by exits in the UEFA Champions League and FA Cup, while their title hopes also then fell by the wayside.
    Wenger has been tipped to splash the cash this summer and bring in the players needed to take the club to a new level, a move backed by the Wales international.
    Ramsey is well aware of the names being linked with a move to Emirates Stadium and he expects there to be player movement during the close season.
    "I expect Arsene will be active in the transfer market," he told The People. "There have been a few names mentioned and I am sure there will be a few players in and out.
    "Obviously we haven't won anything for a long time. The pressure has grown and the fans have been quite vocal lately. But the spirit in the dressing room is the same as always.
    "Everyone gets on with each other so there is nothing wrong there and, hopefully, we can win a trophy next season."
    Ramsey added: "Personally, next season will be a big one for me as it's my first full campaign since my injury.
    "I'm pretty happy with what I've done this season. I got myself back to match fitness and I'm happy with that.
    "Like everybody else I'll have a break now, but I know I can have a good season when it gets going again."

Uploads

David Vaughan - could move to Sunderland.
    VAUGHAN CONSIDERS SUNDERLAND OPTION

Blackpool midfielder David Vaughan has revealed Sunderland have shown interest in signing him.
    Vaughan is out of contract this summer and likely to move on following the Seasiders' relegation from the Barclays Premier League.
    The 28-year-old has been offered a new deal at Bloomfield Road but, like midfield partner Charlie Adam, he is keen to stay in the top flight.
    The Wales international said: "I'm not sure what Charlie is going to do next season and it's down to the club if they decide to accept any bids for him.
    "It's out of his hands and for myself I'm just talking to Blackpool and one or two other clubs.
    "Hopefully I will make my decision in a couple of weeks.
    "Sunderland is a possibility but I am leaving everything to my agent and once I have some concrete offers I'll decide where I want to go.
    "Obviously players want to play in the Premier League and hopefully that will be the case for me next season."
    Adam captured most attention during Blackpool's remarkable campaign and was a target for a number of clubs in January.
    Yet Vaughan was just as influential and his performances were actually deemed more worthy of the club's player of the year award.
    The former Crewe player, who joined Blackpool three years ago after a spell at Real Sociedad, said: "Charlie was pleased for me to win the award but it's a club where individual awards are less important than the team and that's they way we have always regarded it.
    "To win any award is great but when the players vote for you it's a bit more special because they understand what you go through and how well you have done."
    Wherever he plays next season Vaughan is convinced Blackpool, who were relegated on the final day after making a huge initial impression in the Premier League, can challenge for promotion again.
    "Obviously it was disappointing to be relegated in the end," he said.
    "We gave a good account of ourselves in the Premier League and on the whole we probably deserved to stay up.
    "But we made too many mistakes and it cost us in the end.
    "There were a few people saying at the start of the season that we'd be lucky to get 10 points so we proved them wrong.
    "We knew we could compete at Premier League level but unfortunately it wasn't quite enough.
    "Blackpool can bounce back. They have a good squad of players and a great manager so I'm sure they will be challenging again."

Uploads

Barton - linked with move away.
    BARTON LIFTS LID ON CONTRACT DISPUTE

Joey Barton has claimed he wants to stay at Newcastle but has not been offered a new contract by the club, who he believes want a "younger, better, cheaper player".
    The 28-year-old midfielder has one year remaining on his contract at St James's Park, but has been linked with a move away this summer after his agent, Willie McKay, revealed this week that his client would not be offered a new deal.
    Speaking on the twitter account he launched earlier this week, Barton said he would remain committed to Newcastle for as long as the club want him.
    "Finished playing golf, 72 not bad. Came in to questions about joining Everton??? I don't want to leave Newcastle but thanks anyways........" Barton wrote.
    "I cant sign a contract if am not offered one?"
    He then continued on the topic, appearing to mock the club's transfer policy before stopping himself.
    "I will tell all when the time is right, basically they want a younger, better, cheaper player............cant blame (owner Mike Ashley) and (managing director Derek Llambias) can you?" he said.
    ".......slight problem is, they dont want to spend any money or pay any wages. Its genius really ha ha
    "I am an employee so have to be careful here. Everyone knows i'd love to stay, i get on with (manager Alan Pardew) fine and are dressing room is 1st class..
    "if am not offered a new contract, my hands are tied. I will continue to do everything in my power to bring a trophy to St James next season."