Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 30-05-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 30-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 30-05-11

Arshavin - feels wanted at Arsenal
    ARSHAVIN HAS ARSENAL FUTURE

Arsenal midfielder Andrey Arshavin believes he is still wanted as part of Arsene Wenger's plans at Emirates Stadium next season.
    Arshavin's future with the Gunners has been cast into doubt following the club's failure to win a trophy this season.
    The Russia international has been linked with a return to his former club Zenit St Petersburg where he is currently training ahead of playing for his country.
    Zenit have admitted an interest in re-signing the 30-year-old, who has also been linked with moves to clubs in Turkey and Spain.
    However, Wenger recently confirmed that he is not looking to offload Arshavin and wants the schemer in his squad next term.
    And Arshavin echoed those sentiments by saying in The Sun: "The manager wants to continue working with me."
    Arshavin joined the Gunners during the 2009 January transfer window and has scored 28 goals in over 100 appearances for the club.
    He featured in all bar one of Arsenal's games in the Premier League this season, but is not a guaranteed starter in Wenger's best XI.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 30-05-11

Cabaye - set to join Newcastle.
    CABAYE SET FOR MAGPIES SWITCH

Lille midfielder Yohan Cabaye is set to quit the French champions for Newcastle - according to the French club's coach, Rudi Garcia.
    The 25-year-old France international told Canal Plus of his planned move to Tyneside over the weekend and Garcia said the same after LOSC completed their Ligue 1 season with a 3-2 win over Rennes on Sunday night.
    Garcia said: "Yohan told us on Saturday - first me, then the whole group before the game - that he has chosen to join Newcastle.
    "It is a choice that I respect, although I wish he continued the adventure with us."
    The deal is believed to be costing the Magpies five million euros - the amount stipulated to release the player from his contract, which runs until 2013.
    Newcastle have also been linked with Cabaye's team-mate Gervinho, but Garcia insists there will be no other departures.
    "They are all under contract," he said. "The only one who can leave is Yohan Cabaye. All others are under contract and, if desired, will be in the squad next season."
    Cabaye has spent his entire professional career with Lille but hinted recently that he wanted a fresh challenge despite the club having enjoyed a hugely successful campaign with a league and Coupe de France double.
    He also made his senior France debut last August in a friendly against Norway, albeit as part of a shadow squad after coach Laurent Blanc suspended Les Bleus' World Cup flops for the game.

Uploads

Mackail-Smith - expected to leave.
    FERGUSON EXPECTS STRIKER TO LEAVE

Darren Ferguson is resigned to losing promotion hero Craig Mackail-Smith after the striker played a key role in Peterborough's 3-0 npower League One play-off final win over Huddersfield on Sunday.
    Ferguson steered Posh to their third promotion in four seasons with a comprehensive victory at Old Trafford after late goals from Tommy Rowe, Mackail-Smith and skipper Grant McCann.
    Yet Mackail-Smith, 27, looks set to leave London Road this summer after hitting his 35th goal of the season, with Barclays Premier League new boys QPR and Norwich and relegated West Ham all thought to be interested.
    A switch to the big time would cap a remarkable rise for the highly-rated frontman, who made his international debut for Scotland in March, just four years after he was turning out in the Conference for Dagenham.
    Ferguson said: "You would have to say the odds are stacked with him probably leaving.
    "We would have to get the right money for him but everyone would wish him all the best.
    "He's earned the chance to go and play at a higher level.
    "We need other players and we have to try and establish ourselves in the Championship now."

Uploads

Gill - expecting very busy summer.
    GILL EXPECTS BUSY SUMMER

Manchester United chief executive David Gill will head for his holidays towards the end of June hoping to have charted the future for Sir Alex Ferguson's team.
    Despite typically wet Manchester weather and Saturday's chastening Champions League final defeat to Barcelona, thousands of United fans lined the streets for a trophy parade which at least lifted spirits.
    As their players headed off for various international commitments, a holiday or, in Edwin van der Sar's case and possibly Paul Scholes' as well, retirement, Gill and manager Sir Alex Ferguson set to work on constructing a squad ready to face the emerging threat of Manchester City and capable of defeating Barca.
    "It will be a busier than usual summer this year," Gill told MUTV.
    "I will be going away at some point in June and be back for the start of our tour but I will be on with player stuff for the next few weeks I am sure."

Uploads

Dave Jones - Cardiff exit.
    CARDIFF SACK DAVE JONES

Cardiff have terminated the contract of manager Dave Jones.
    The Bluebirds missed out on promotion to the Premier League through the npower Championship play-offs for the second year running and the board have moved to end Jones' six-year spell in charge.
    Chairman Gethin Jenkins told the club's official website: "We would like to thank Dave Jones for his considerable efforts with the club over the past six seasons.
    "He leaves his post in the knowledge that he has left the club in a far better position than when he arrived."
    Jenkins added: "Dave's tenure has seen Cardiff City Football Club develop from a standpoint of Championship stability through to becoming regular promotion contenders, while also having taken the team to an FA Cup Final.
    "He has also had a significant contribution in the development of training facilities and the stadium during his Cardiff career. We thank him for all that he has done and wish him well for the future."
    Jones succeeded Lennie Lawrence in 2005, having previously managed Southampton and Wolves, and guided the Welsh club to 11th place in his first season in charge.
    The Liverpudlian continued to rebuild the club, securing 13th and 12th-placed finishes before masterminding a 2-0 victory over Middlesbrough to reach the 2008 FA Cup final.
    Cardiff were 1-0 defeated by Portsmouth and would subsequently miss out on a play-off place on the last day of the 2008-09 campaign.
    However, Jones would subsequently guide the Bluebirds to the 2010 play-off final against Blackpool, where they narrowly missed out on promotion after a 3-2 loss.
    Their third consecutive promotion challenge ended with disappointment and Jones' eventual dismissal after slumping to a 3-0 aggregate defeat to Reading in the play-off semi-finals.

Uploads

Sam Allardyce - set to take West Ham job.
    ALLARDYCE READY FOR WEST HAM JOB

Sam Allardyce has confirmed he is looking forward to taking charge at West Ham and trying to help lead the club back into the Premier League.
    Avram Grant was dismissed by the Hammers earlier this month after a 3-2 defeat at Wigan condemned the club to relegation to the Championship.
    The likes of Dave Jones and Steve McClaren had been linked with the position, but it appears Allardyce is now primed to succeed Grant.
    Allardyce has been out of management since being dismissed by Blackburn in December following the Venky's takeover at Ewood Park.
    He is aware of the challenge ahead, with West Ham expected to lose several key players over the summer, but is determined to make an impact.
    "Everything has been agreed in principle and I look forward to taking charge after I have had a family holiday," said Allardyce in The People.
    "It's always difficult dealing with the aftermath of relegation, but I want to get West Ham back into the Premier League as quickly as possible."

Uploads

Elmander - Galatasaray move.
    ELMANDER SEALS GALATASARAY MOVE

Galatasaray have confirmed the signing of Johan Elmander following the striker's recent departure from Bolton.
    Elmander left the Reebok Stadium last week after deciding to take on a new challenge rather than extend his time with the Premier League club.
    The Sweden international had been widely tipped to join Galatasaray and he has now finalised his switch to Turkey on a three-year deal after passing a medical.
    Meanwhile, Elmander's former strike partner Kevin Davies has wished the 29-year-old well following their three seasons together at Bolton.
    "It's difficult for Johan and I think he found it frustrating during the first couple of seasons because he never really got firing," Davies told the Bolton News.
    "I'm not too sure how he found his time here, whether he had a happy time or not. But this season he's been asked to play in numerous positions and he always gave his all.
    "His stats are always really high and he's scored a few good goals. It hasn't quite worked out for him but then I've been on a big move like that and it hasn't quite worked out.
    "He's a great lad and the gaffer speaks very highly of him because of his work ethic and what he brought to us, so we wish him well."

Uploads

Diouf - ended the season on loan at Rangers.
    KEAN OFFERS DIOUF WARNING

Steve Kean has warned El Hadji Diouf he will have limited opportunities at Blackburn next season.
    Diouf is due to return to Ewood Park in the summer after spending the second half of the season on loan with SPL champions Rangers.
    The 30-year-old helped Gers to the title and has previously hinted that he would be keen to remain at Ibrox on a permanent basis.
    He currently has a year left on his contract at Blackburn and it is uncertain whether he will be offered the chance to join Rangers following Craig Whyte's takeover.
    However, if he is unable to secure a permanent exit from Blackburn, the Senegal attacker will find himself on the fringes, according to Kean.
    The Blackburn boss told the Daily Mirror: "He's going to find himself a bit further down the pecking order as far as starting goes. I don't know if that will suit him."
    Diouf joined Rovers in a 2million deal from Sunderland in January 2009 and has scored four goals in 62 appearances for the club.

Uploads

Peter Odemwingie - set to stay at West Brom.
    BAGGIES EXPECT ODEMWINGIE TO STAY

West Brom have revealed they are confident of securing striker Peter Odemwingie on a new deal.
    The prolific forward has enjoyed a stunning debut season in the Premier League after arriving from Lokomotiv Moscow last summer, notching up 15 goals and a string of impressive performances for the Baggies.
    The 29-year-old Nigeria international has a year remaining on his current contract at the Hawthorns plus a further year's option in Albion's favour, but has inevitably attracted attention from elsewhere.
    However, the Baggies have opened talks with Odemwingie and his agent over an extension of his existing deal, and sporting and technical director Dan Ashworth is optimistic of keeping him when negotiations resume later this summer.
    "We have spoken to Peter and we have spoken to Peter's representatives," Ashworth told the Express and Star.
    "We know where they are and they know where we are and I don't foresee any great problems in sorting out a new contract.
    "Things have been held up because all of the relevant parties are away.
    "But once we can get everybody together I'm optimistic we'll be OK."

Uploads

Carlos Salcido - linked with Fulham exit.
    FULHAM REJECT SALCIDO OFFER

Fulham have turned down a bid from Mexican club Monterrey to take full-back Carlos Salcido back to his homeland.
    The 31-year-old, who signed at Craven Cottage from PSV for 1.6million at the start of last season, has reportedly struggled to settle in London and has been linked with a move home this summer.
    However, manager Mark Hughes is keen to keep the defender and has consequently spurned an offer from the Mexican club.
    Monterrey released a statement saying: "We inform you that we have received a response from Fulham Football Club of England, declining our offer to sign Carlos Salcido."
    Chivas and Pachuca are also thought to be preparing offers to take Salcido home.
    The defender, who is currently in Mexico competing in the Copa de Oro, said earlier this month he is aware of the speculation but has heard nothing concrete.
    He said: "I have been hearing rumours all the time. The truth is that I have travelled to Mexico after that last game I played at Fulham but my team hasn't told me anything regarding a possible transfer.
    "I have been approached by board members of Pachuca and I have even talked about that with the officials of Fulham, and I thank them a lot, I saw them a few times, but in football the situation is very easy.
    "For the moment the officials of my team haven't said anything to me so there is nothing, they are only rumours."
    Salcido has revealed he came close to rejoining his first club Chivas in the January transfer window, but insists he is not actively looking for a new team this summer.
    "In January I had been very near to returning to Chivas," he added.
    "Everyone knows that I support Chivas but in this moment the only thing that I want is to be with my family.
    "I am not looking for a team, I did that in January but it couldn't happen. In this moment I don't know about anything."