Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 31-05-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 31-05-11

Latest Transfer Update at 31-05-11

Nikica Jelavic - linked with Manchester United.
    JELAVIC COULDN'T REJECT MAN UNITED

Rangers striker Nikica Jelavic has revealed he could not reject a move to Manchester United if the Premier League giants came calling.
    Jelavic enjoyed an impressive debut season in the SPL having scored 16 league goals from 23 appearances.
    The Croatia international is aware of speculation linking him with a move to the Champions League runners-up, although he insists he is happy in Scotland.
    However, should an offer from Old Trafford be forthcoming then he would have to give the move serious consideration - stating the English giants are a hard club to reject.
    "Moving to another club? No, that's the last thing on my mind," Jelavic told Jutarnji List.
    "I'm enjoying Scotland. My life is fantastic. I like being here as a footballer. The most important thing is I see that my family is happy too. So there's really no reason for me to move.
    "Manchester United? Well, that would be of course very hard to reject. But I only read about Red Devils in newspapers.
    "Of course I'm happy to be linked with such a great club, but I really don't know anything about this. Me and Walter Smith, who knows Alex Ferguson very well, joked about this stuff.
    "He was telling me, that Fergie is building team for me to fit in. But in reality I doubt that he would talk with Ferguson about his players... But of course, if Manchester United make an offer for me then I couldn't stay in Scotland.
    "United is a club you can't say no to. If Newcastle United call then I'd stay in Glasgow, no doubt."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 31-05-11

Shane Long - linked with Reading exit.
    McDERMOTT COUNTING THE COST

Reading boss Brian McDermott is facing up to losing some of his top players following the 4-2 defeat by Swansea in the npower Championship play-off final.
    Striker Shane Long could not recapture the form at Wembley which has seen him hit 25 goals this season, but he could now move on over the summer.
    Liverpool and Everton are among the top-flight sides thought to be tracking the 24-year-old Irishman while Noel Hunt, Jimmy Kebe and Jobi McAnuff also have admirers.
    McDermott admitted: "We have got good players and I'm sure there will be interest, but that's probably not something to worry about now."
    The Royals looked dead and buried after two goals from Scott Sinclair, the first from the penalty spot, and another from Stephen Dobbie left them 3-0 down at the break.
    To add to their problems, substitute Jay Tabb and coach Nigel Gibbs were sent to the stands for protesting to referee Phil Dowd.
    But McDermott almost masterminded a memorable comeback after Hunt forced an own-goal from Joe Allen and Matt Mills headed a second, and they were inches away from levelling when Jem Karacan hit the post.
    However, Sinclair's second penalty condemned Reading to another season outside the elite.
    But despite the disappointment, McDermott intends to have another stab at promotion next term.
    "Our momentum was terrific in the second half of the season," he added.
    "We were top of the league over the last 17 games, if you consider where we were in February - 12th or 13th.
    "I don't think too many people would have thought we would get to where we were.
    "Manchester United lost the Champions League final to Barcelona and I'm sure Sir Alex Ferguson is just thinking about how he can win the Champions League next season."

Uploads

Gerard Houllier - could leave Aston Villa.
    GERARD HOULLIER FUTURE UNCLEAR

Aston Villa boss Gerard Houllier's future will be decided in the next 24 hours, Press Association Sport understands.
    The Birmingham Mail have reported that Houllier will stand down by "mutual consent" because of concerns over his health after heart problems.
    Sources close to Villa were adamant on Tuesday morning that "Gerard is still our manager" and any final decision still had to be formally confirmed.
    Houllier, who underwent heart surgery when Liverpool manager a decade ago, missed the final month of last season with the latest setback.
    Caretaker boss Gary McAllister had been convinced the Frenchman would return to his post and the 63-year-old has played his part in drawing up Villa's plans for next season.
    But Villa insisted medical tests conducted on Houllier before the weekend would determine his future.
    The results have been studied by Villa owner Randy Lerner and medical staff and an official announcement is expected soon.
    It is understood Villa officials are concerned a return to the dugout for Houllier could cause further health problems and may not, therefore, be fair to him or the club.
    Houllier has two years to run of the contract he signed when becoming Villa manager in September as Martin O'Neill's successor, and any possible severance package would have to be finalised if he leaves.
    He has struggled to win over the Villa fans despite a revival in the second half of the season which saw the club finish ninth in the Barclays Premier League.
    Villa have already been linked with the likes of Everton manager David Moyes, Fulham boss Mark Hughes and former England coach Steve McClaren as possible successors should Houllier's reign be at en end.

Uploads

Scholes celebrates with the Premier League trophy.
    PAUL SCHOLES ANNOUNCES RETIREMENT

Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes has announced his retirement from football with immediate effect.
    There had been speculation about Scholes' future in the past few weeks and it had looked increasingly likely the 36-year-old would end his stellar career at the end of the campaign.
    And Scholes confirmed that view on Tuesday morning.
    He said: "This was not a decision I have taken lightly but I feel now is the right time for me to stop playing."
    It was hardly a surprise Scholes, who will join the coaching staff at Old Trafford from next season, should choose a low-key way to confirm his future intentions and the former England star even joked about it in his announcement.
    "I am not a man of many words but I can honestly say that playing football is all I have ever wanted to do," he said.
    "To have had such a long and successful career at Manchester United has been a real honour.
    "To have been part of the team that helped the club reach a record 19th title is a great privilege.
    "I would like to thank the fans for their tremendous support throughout my career, I would also like to thank all the coaches and players that I have worked with over the years.
    "But most of all I would like to thank Sir Alex (Ferguson) for being such a great manager.
    "From the day I joined the club his door has always been open and I know this team will go on to win many more trophies under his leadership."
    Scholes' role within the United coaching set-up has still to be outlined, although there could be an opening available with the reserves, where Warren Joyce has been acting alone since the departure of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
    Scholes will also be granted a testimonial, that will take place in August.
    "What more can I say about Paul Scholes that I haven't said before," said Sir Alex Ferguson.
    "We are going to miss a truly unbelievable player.
    "Paul has always been fully committed to this club and I am delighted he will be joining the coaching staff from next season.
    "Paul has always been inspirational to players of all ages and we know that will continue in his new role."
    A member of the famed 'Class of 92', Scholes made his debut in 1994, going on to make an incredible 676 appearances, the last of which came as a substitute in Saturday's Champions League final.
    He won 10 Premier League titles and, after missing the 1999 Champions League final through suspension, was part of the team that conquered Europe in 2008.
    "It is very sad day for Manchester United fans around the world," said United chief executive David Gill.
    "We all know that Paul was one of the players that came through the ranks of the academy system in the 90s and has established himself as one of the greatest players to ever wear the United shirt.
    "It is very important that the club keeps the associated with these great players and we are delighted that Paul will join the coaching staff."

Uploads

Carlton Cole - no Stoke bid.
    STOKE DENY CARLTON COLE TALK

Stoke chairman Peter Coates has rejected talk that the Potters have made a bid for West Ham striker Carlton Cole.
    Newspaper reports have suggested that the England international was the subject of an offer from the FA Cup finalists but Coates says that is not the case.
    "Those reports are unfounded and it is not the case whatsoever," Coates told BBC Radio Stoke.
    "We've not made a single bid in any way, shape or form."
    Coates also insists he is not aware of any interest from Potters boss Tony Pulis in Blackpool captain Charlie Adam.
    "I don't think the manager is interested in him," he said.
    "He's not mentioned him to me so I assume he's not interested in him."

Uploads

Sergio Aguero - no Real Madrid move.
    NO REAL MOVE FOR AGUERO

Atletico Madrid general manager Miguel Angel Gil Marin has said star striker Sergio Aguero will not be heading for Real Madrid.
    Argentina international Aguero, 22, has openly declared his desire to leave Atletico and hinted his destination could be Spanish capital neighbours Real.
    But Atletico are standing firm and insist the player's buy-out clause of €45million (39m) was the asking place for everyone - apart from Real Madrid.
    "He (Aguero) is not going to go to Real Madrid," Gil Marin said in El Larguero.
    "I called (Real president) Florentino (Perez) to ask him if we could maintain this commitment to not being hostile and he agreed.
    "Either a club, that is not Real Madrid, comes in and puts €45m on the table or he stays at Atletico Madrid. We don't want to negotiate with anyone."
    English trio Manchester City, Chelsea and Liverpool have all been linked with Aguero, but so far Juventus are the only side to officially register their interest.
    "Atletico Madrid don't have any offers, only a fax from Juventus saying they want to negotiate," Gil Marin said.
    "It is a letter saying they are keen to negotiate, but Atletico don't want to negotiate."
    Atletico want an end to the saga within the next fortnight and have set a 15th June deadline to conclude any deal.
    "We want a decision before 15th June because it is a decision that has huge implications on our sporting plan," Gil Marin added.

Uploads

Tom Cleverley - expects to play for Manchester United.
    CLEVERLEY: I'LL BE BACK AT MAN UNITED

Tom Cleverley has ruled out a return to Wigan next season and insists he will be plying his trade at Manchester United.
    The young midfielder has been sent out on loan by United for the past three years to aid his development, most recently on a season-long stint at the DW Stadium.
    After helping the Latics sidestep relegation from the Premier League, Cleverley has reiterated his intention to force his way into Sir Alex Ferguson's first-team plans.
    The England Under 21 international told the Daily Star: "I'll be back at United next year.
    "Of course, Wigan will be the first result I'll look for and the club will always be close to my heart.
    "We achieved what we wanted as a team and that means everything to me. Staying up was the best moment of my career.
    "Now I go back looking to build on what I've done and hopefully make my mark at Old Trafford."

Uploads

Jody Craddock - offered new Wolves deal.
    WOLVES OFFER CRADDOCK NEW DEAL

Wolves are offering a new one-year contract to veteran defender Jody Craddock.
    Craddock confirmed last week that he wanted to continue playing for another campaign.
    Now Wolves boss Mick McCarthy is to make the additional 12-month offer to 35-year-old Craddock.
    Craddock was Wolves player of the year for the 2009-2010 campaign.
    He suffered injury problems last season, including a hip setback, before returning for the finale of the campaign to help keep Wolves in the Barclays Premier League.
    McCarthy said: "Jody is proven at the top level. He has proved that over the last few games of the season.
    "His experience was vital to us at the end of the season. He has been as good as anybody.
    "He is one that everyone looks up to with the way he conducts himself.
    "He's brilliant. He shows such great professionalism. He is a humble guy who just comes in and does his work. He is fantastic."
    Former Sunderland player Craddock joined Wolves eight years ago in a 1.75million deal.

Uploads

Borini - ended the season on loan at Swansea.
    PARMA CLOSE TO BORINI SWOOP

Parma have revealed they are close to signing Chelsea youngster Fabio Borini on a free transfer.
    The 20-year-old striker started his career at Bologna before moving to Chelsea in 2007.
    But the Italian failed to secure regular first-team football at Stamford Bridge and moved on loan to Swansea for the last three months of the season.
    He played a vital part in their successful push for the Premier League - netting six goals in nine appearances.
    His current deal at Stamford Bridge expires this summer and Parma sporting director Pietro Leonardi is confident that an agreement can be reached after the club were close to signing the striker in the January transfer window.
    Leonardi told Sky Italia: "We are very close to completing the transfer of Borini.
    "It is only a matter of details before we wrap up the deal."

Uploads

Keith Hill - set for Barnsley job.
    HILL POISED FOR BARNSLEY POST

Barnsley are expected to appoint Rochdale boss Keith Hill as their new manager on Wednesday.
    Hill initially ruled himself out of the running for the job last week, but reopened talks on Monday night and is now poised to take over from Mark Robins.
    The 42-year-old guided Dale to promotion from League Two in 2010 and then to their joint highest position of ninth in League One last season.
    Leyton Orient's Russell Slade was also a target for the Tykes but an approach for him was turned down last week.
    The new manager will officially be unveiled at a noon press conference at Oakwell.
    Robins quit at the end of the season amid reports of a fall-out with the club's board over the budget for next term.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast