Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 01-06-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 01-06-11

Latest Transfer Update at 01-06-11

Michael Mancienne - signs for Hamburg.
    MANCIENNE HEADS FOR HAMBURG

Chelsea defender Michael Mancienne has signed a four-year deal with German side Hamburg, the Bundesliga club have confirmed.
    The 23-year-old has passed a medical at the Imtech Arena and will link-up with his new team-mates after he completes his duties with England at this summer's European Under-21 Championships.
    Mancienne joined Chelsea as a schoolboy but made just six senior appearances for them before being sent out on loan.
    He twice went to QPR before three spells with Wolves, who he spent the best part of three years with.
    He only made 17 appearances for Mick McCarthy's side in their recent succesful battle against the drop, though, and has now opted to head to Germany where he will be reunited with Hamburg's sporting director Frank Arnesen.
    The Dane was technical director during some of Mancienne's time at Chelsea, and he said: "I know Michael from Chelsea and have followed his development for years.
    "I am aware of his great potential."
    Hamburg finished eighth in the Bundesliga this season, and Mancienne has outlined his ambition to get them back into Europe as soon as possible.
    He said: "Hamburg are a big club with a lot of tradition and some fantastic fans.
    "It's a big challenge for me to be able to play for this club.
    "It would be great if I could play a part in helping Hamburg get back into Europe."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 01-06-11

Downing - could leave Villa.
    DOWNING: HOULLIER POSITION NO FACTOR

Stewart Downing insists his decision whether to remain at Aston Villa this summer will not be influenced by manager Gerard Houllier's future.
    Villa are expected to make a formal announcement on Houllier on Wednesday or Thursday after he underwent medical tests before the weekend.
    There are reports that the 63-year-old will part company with Villa because of concerns over his health after his recent heart problems.
    Downing, who is being linked with a move to Liverpool, said: "Obviously we're reading the reports that Gerard Houllier has gone - but we've not heard anything.
    "We got told at the end of the season that he was fit and well and he would be coming back to Villa.
    "I had no problems with him. He came in at a tough time. He did quite well with the team. I've enjoyed working with him."
    Downing, currently preparing for England's Euro 2012 qualifier with Switzerland on Saturday, is declining to sign a new contract.
    He said: "If his (Houllier's) position changes, then I wish him all the best but that doesn't affect my position.
    "It would stay (the same) even if Gerard stayed or if he went."
    Downing's Villa and England team-mate, Ashley Young, said: "I've not heard anything from the club officially.
    "I'm away with England and that is what I'm concentrating on.
    "The manager has done great since he has come in. It has been a difficult season for us but hopefully things can get sorted and he comes back to full health."
    Fulham boss Mark Hughes, ex-England coach Steve McClaren, former Tottenham manager Martin Jol and Everton chief David Moyes are possible successors if and when Houllier's reign is at an end.
    Hughes has yet to sign a new two-year contract at Fulham and is believed to have a one-month break clause in his current deal.
    Downing said: "I'm sure Randy Lerner (club owner) and Paul Faulkner (chief executive) will get the right man if there is a change.
    "I'm sure they will come out with the best outcome for the club."
    Houllier, who underwent heart surgery when Liverpool manager a decade ago, was forced to miss the final month of last season while recuperating from his latest setback.
    Caretaker boss Gary McAllister has been adamant Houllier would return to his post and the 63-year-old has played his part in drawing up Villa's plans for next season.
    But it is understood Villa officials are concerned whether it would be fair to Houllier or the club to risk any further health setbacks via a return to the dug-out.
    Houllier has struggled to win over the Villa fans despite a second half of the season revival which saw the club finish ninth in the Barclays Premier League.

Uploads

Sam Allardyce - ready for the challenge.
    BIG SAM UP FOR HAMMERS CHALLENGE

Sam Allardyce is relishing the challenge of returning West Ham to the Premier League as he looks set to be confirmed as the Hammers' new boss.
    The club's hunt for the man they will entrust to take them back to the top flight seemed to be edging to a successful conclusion last night with Allardyce thought to be close to taking over on a two-year deal.
    And the man himself has effectively confirmed his appointment, telling The Sun: "I look forward to taking charge after I have had a family holiday.
    "It's always difficult dealing with the aftermath of relegation but I want to get West Ham back into the Premier League as quickly as possible."
    West Ham sacked Avram Grant last month after their relegation to the npower Championship was confirmed with a game to spare, and a number of names, such as Dave Jones, Neil Warnock and Malky Mackay had all been touted.
    But Press Association Sport understands that 56-year-old Allardyce impressed co-owners David Gold and David Sullivan so much that he could be unveiled on a two-year deal as early as Wednesday.
    It will be Allardyce's first job since he was dismissed by Blackburn in December and it will be the first time he has managed outside the top flight in a decade.
    Having cut his teeth with Blackpool and Notts County, Allardyce made his name as a manager with Bolton and took them to the Premier League through the play-offs in 2001.
    He then established them as a Premier League club and even took them into Europe in 2005.
    His work on a relatively low budget did not go unnoticed and he moved to Newcastle in 2007, only for Mike Ashley to take over the club two weeks later and sack Allardyce after just six months.
    After an 11-month absence he returned to management with Blackburn in December 2008 and was thought by many to be doing a reasonable job, again on a low budget, when he was sacked six months ago.
    Again his dismissal was authorised by an owner that did not employ him, but, if Gold and Sullivan make the decision to appoint him, Allardyce can hope to get the time he needs to reshape the east London club ahead of their move to the 2012 Olympic Stadium.
    One of his first tasks will be to resolve the future of the club's leading names, the majority of whom are expected to leave.
    England quartet Carlton Cole, Rob Green, Scott Parker and Matthew Upson will all have suitors, as will midfielder Thomas Hitzlsperger and striker Demba Ba.

Uploads

Kayal - linked with Premier League move.
    BHOYS OPEN KAYAL TALKS

Celtic have opened talks with midfield star Beram Kayal in a bid to fend off interest from a number of English clubs.
    The 23-year-old enjoyed a superb debut season at Celtic after arriving from Maccabi Haifa last summer.
    The likes of Aston Villa and Bolton have been credited with an interest in the Israeli international, but Celtic are ready to offer him a lucrative contract extension to keep him at Parkhead.
    "Celtic spoke with me this week and we have opened negotiations on a new contract," Kayal told the Daily Record.
    "Last season I received quite a few offers but I told all the clubs I want to be at Celtic. It's very important to me that myself and Celtic are satisfied with my new deal.
    "I have a new agent now and I expect him to tie up my new deal. It's nice to get other proposals but it is most important for me to stay."

Uploads

Stewart Downing - future uncertain.
    DOWNING UNSURE OVER VILLA FUTURE

England winger Stewart Downing admits he is "not sure" if he will still be an Aston Villa player next season as he revealed his desire to play Champions League football.
    Downing has been in some of the best form of his career during the past campaign when he won Villa's player of the year award and regained his place in the England squad.
    But talks over a new contract have been put on ice after just one meeting between Downing's representative and the club at a time when the 26-year-old is being linked with a summer move to Liverpool.
    Downing said: "If you ask any player about interest from clubs, they get flattered by it but I think you've just got to keep your mind on the job and keep playing well for your club and country.
    "All players want to play at the highest level and in the biggest competitions.
    "With England as well, all the top players play in good teams. I'm no different.
    "You just want the best for your career. You want to finish with medals at the end of it so, if it's a step up with Villa or with someone else, then I'm ready for it.
    "You watch teams in the Champions League and it makes you wish you were there. You sit at home and watch it, hear the music come on, you see the teams and you think 'that's where you want to be.'
    "It's the pinnacle. It's the best. It's the best standard with the best players. It would be nice to taste that one day."
    Downing has two years remaining of his current contract but he has reiterated his stance of not wanting to commit to longer at this juncture.
    He said: "My agent had a meeting with the club - just one meeting - and he just felt it was the right time not to sign my contract.
    "I've still got two years to go, so I've still got a long time to go, so I just decided to leave it as it is.
    "Will I be at Villa next season? I'm not sure.
    "I mean, we had the meeting with the club, we expressed our feelings and they said to me they're going to improve the team and the squad.
    "So, as far as I know, I'll still be reporting back for pre-season because I've heard nothing."
    Downing maintains he will continue to be totally committed to Villa should he remain even if fans have been upset at his current stance.
    He said: "You hope they do (understand) but normal fans will want you to stay at their club for the rest of your life. If you do leave there's obviously a bit of bitterness there.
    "You hope they do understand because, it's like any job, if there's a better job on hand, or a better level to do it, then people do it.
    "If I don't move and I stay, I'll get on with the job as normal. I'll do my best and give 100%.
    "It's up to their fans and their opinions of me. If they want to be loud and clear with what they think of me, then that's fine.
    "I'll still give my best because I'm employed to do so."
    Downing is happy to be involved with England, and made his first start for more than two years against Ghana in March, after fearing his international days might be gone forever.
    He said: "When I was injured for a long time and missed a lot of football and England games, other people came in and took their chance.
    "Credit to them. For me, personally, it wasn't good. I came back, got into a squad after my injury which was a boost.
    "But I wasn't picked again for a long time after that and I thought maybe my time had gone.
    "The only thing I could do was play well enough to get back in and that's been proven."

Uploads

Owen - new one-year deal with Man United.
    MICHAEL OWEN TO STAY AT MAN UNITED

Sir Alex Ferguson has sprung a major surprise by handing Michael Owen a one-year contract extension.
    Owen's present two-season deal was about to expire and, having been overshadowed by Javier Hernandez last season and knowing new signings were expected - in addition to the return of Danny Welbeck from Sunderland, it was anticipated the former England striker would be released.
    However, Ferguson evidently still views the 31-year-old as an important member of his squad.
    "Michael has proved to be a top footballer," said Ferguson. "It is unfortunate that he did not get more opportunities but the form of Chicharito (Hernandez) put everyone in the shade and his partnership with Rooney proved invaluable.
    "I am delighted Michael is staying for a further year and we will look to give him more opportunities in the new season."
    The last of Owen's two league goals closed a record 19th title-winning campaign for the Red Devils, and earned him a championship medal for the first time.
    It was also enough to earn him a place on the bench ahead of Dimitar Berbatov for Saturday's Champions League final, although he did not play a part in United's 3-1 defeat.
    "I am delighted to have agreed a one-year extension to my contract," said Owen.
    "To play alongside so many great players, under an exceptional manager, and in front of so many passionate supporters is a real inspiration.
    "I can't wait for next season to start."
    The news casts an even greater shadow over Berbatov's United career, though.
    The Bulgarian was tight-lipped when he returned home yesterday but it is difficult to see what role he could play unless Ferguson opts to unload Welbeck, who gained his first England cap against Ghana in March.

Uploads

Berbatov - 'ashamed' to have been left out of final.
    BERBATOV WANTS MAN UNITED STAY

Dimitar Berbatov has vowed to stay at Manchester United after admitting he felt 'ashamed' to be left out of the UEFA Champions League final.
    The Bulgarian striker, who finished the season as the joint leading scorer in the Premier League, did not even make the bench for United's 3-1 defeat by Barcelona last weekend.
    He was overlooked in favour of Michael Owen for a substitute's role and he spent the game at Wembley watching the action from the dressing room.
    His absence from the touchline sparked suggestions that Berbatov could have played his last game for United, with the likes of Newcastle United and Borussia Dortmund linked with summer bids.
    However, the 30-year-old explained why he was not sat alongside his team-mates and remains determined to stay at Old Trafford next season.
    "I will stay," Berbatov told Bulgarian television. "I will fight for the 20th title.
    "If I were an easy quitter, I would never have made it this far. Everything at Manchester United starts from scratch for me on July 4.
    "There will be new finals and we will be fighting for new titles. I am moving ahead. When you go through difficult times, you should not quit.
    "The truth is that I stayed at the dressing room and watched the Champions League final there, on a TV screen.
    "I was really disappointed. I was ashamed that I was not part of the team and did not want people to see how sad I feel."

Uploads

Allardyce - confirmed as new Hammers boss.
    ALLARDYCE CONFIRMED AS HAMMERS BOSS

Sam Allardyce was today confirmed as the new manager of West Ham.
    Owners David Sullivan and David Gold have turned to the former Bolton, Newcastle and Blackburn boss to guide them to promotion back to the Barclays Premier League at the first attempt.
    The 56-year-old replaces Avram Grant, who was axed minutes after West Ham's relegation was sealed by a 3-2 defeat at Wigan a week before the end of the season.
    "It's a fantastic club with a great tradition and loyal supporters," said Allardyce.
    "I am determined to get this club back up."
    Allardyce, who has been out of work since his surprise sacking by Blackburn's new owners in December, has reportedly been offered a huge bonus if the Hammers are promoted next term.
    The appointment will not be met with much enthusiasm with many West Ham fans turned off by his direct style of play.
    But Sullivan and Gold have opted for pragmatism over sentiment with Allardyce having taken Bolton from the Championship into Europe during his spell at the Reebok Stadium.
    Allardyce added on the club's official website, www.whufc.com: "I wouldn't have taken this job if I didn't think we could bounce straight back into the Premier League.
    "More than that, I wouldn't have contemplated the job if I didn't think there was the opportunity to build something substantial at West Ham.
    "I know there will be West Ham fans asking whether I'm going to abandon the style of play that's been the club's heritage over the years.
    "All I'll say is it will be a tale of home and away. At Upton Park we'll try to play the kind of game the fans want.
    "We will aim to continue in the same way on our travels but we'll also be tough, hard to beat and utterly resilient."

Uploads

Mahon - leads the departures from Loftus Road.
    PLAYERS RELEASED BY QPR

Neil Warnock has begun his clear-out at QPR by releasing eight players.
    Full-back Pascal Chimbonda, experienced midfielder Gavin Mahon and Greek winger Georgias Tofas lead the departures as Rangers prepare for life in the Barclays Premier League next season.
    Youngsters Josh Parker, Lee Brown, Joe Oastler, Elliott Cox and Romone Rose have also been shown the door by Warnock.
    The Rangers boss told www.qpr.co.uk: "There are some really good lads with good quality among the eight we have released.
    "This could be just what they need to go on and kick-start their careers. I wish them all the best."
    Warnock is also expected to tell fans' favourites Lee Cook and Martin Rowlands their futures lie elsewhere after they barely featured during Rangers' successful promotion campaign, but defender Peter Ramage has been verbally offered a new deal.

Uploads

Kelly - wants regular football.
    KELLY WEIGHS UP FULHAM FUTURE

Stephen Kelly admits he may have to leave Fulham this summer in search of regular first-team football.
    The full-back, who is away on international duty with Republic of Ireland, has endured a frustrating season at Craven Cottage.
    Kelly made only 12 appearances in the first team this term with the former Birmingham and Tottenham man down the pecking order in Mark Hughes' plans.
    The 27-year-old has revealed he will weigh up his options this summer as he wants to be playing on a regular basis at this stage of his career.
    "Obviously I want to play football, I want to play all the time that's got to be my main aim," Kelly told Sky Sports News.
    "If that's at Fulham then great, but if it's somewhere else then so be it.
    "At this moment in time I am still a Fulham player and that's where my focus is.
    "We are in Europe next year and there are going to be a lot of games so will be looking forward to take part in that."