Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 02-06-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 02-06-11

Latest Transfer Update at 02-06-11

Neuer - set for Bayern Munich move.
    BAYERN AGREE MANUEL NEUER DEAL

Manuel Neuer has promised to find his feet quickly at Bayern Munich after Schalke agreed to sell the goalkeeper to their Bundesliga rivals.
    Bayern confirmed the Germany number one would undergo a medical and sign a five-year contract at the Allianz Arena when he returned from international duty next week.
    No details of the fee were given by either club.
    The 25-year-old said: "I am really looking forward to this huge and exciting challenge at Bayern.
    "Many of my international team-mates will be my team-mates in Munich.
    "Therefore I won't be going into a new environment and will certainly settle in quickly."
    Neuer's switch to Bayern had been expected since April when he confirmed he would not extend his contract at Schalke.
    The keeper's deal expired next summer and the Royals Blues could not risk the possibility of their captain and prized asset leaving on a free transfer.
    He was linked with a move to Manchester United after his heroics in Schalke's Champions League semi-final first-leg defeat to the English champions, but he always maintained he wanted to remain in the Bundesliga and Bayern made no secret of their desire to sign him.
    Bayern chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said: "Bayern are very happy in Manuel Neuer to have signed for the long term not only the Germany number one, but also one of the best goalkeepers in the world."
    Bayern had little choice but to sign a keeper this summer, with 37-year-old Hans-Jorg Butt the only senior stopper on their books after they agreed to let Thomas Kraft join Hertha Berlin.
    They could only finish third last term, crucially qualifying for the Champions League to salvage something from a disappointing campaign, but goalkeeper proved a problem position for them.
    Former coach Louis van Gaal dropped Butt and made Kraft first choice midway through the season, but the youngster failed to impress and Butt won his place back when the Dutchman left the club.
    New coach Jupp Heynckes will be looking for Neuer to help Bayern win the Bundesliga title back from Borussia Dortmund next season.
    Neuer has been in the Schalke set-up for more than 20 years and been their number one ever since making his first-team debut in 2006. He made his farewell appearance in their DFB-Pokal final victory earlier this month.
    Schalke general manager and board member Horst Heldt admitted the club had allowed Neuer to leave with a heavy heart.
    "This was a difficult decision for all those involved, because in Manuel Neuer the club are losing an outstanding player in every respect," he said.
    "But we have now finally decided to accept Bayern's offer, because given the circumstances it is the best solution for Schalke. We also promised Manuel we would honour his wish to be able to move on in the summer.
    "Even though it will certainly hurt almost all Schalke supporters to the soul to lose such a role model, we should not forget the great things Manuel Neuer has achieved at the club.
    "In sporting terms, he had a huge role in the success of the last five years, this season in winning the DFB-Pokal and in reaching the Champions League semi-finals for the first time."
    Neuer is currently with the Germany squad ahead of their Euro 2012 qualifiers against Austria in Vienna on Friday and Azerbaijan in Baku on Tuesday.
    He will be joined at Bayern next season by former team-mate Rafinha, the Brazilian right-back joining the Bavarians from Genoa.
    The 25-year-old, who spent five years in Gelsenkirchen before moving to Serie A last year, has signed a three-year contract.
    And Ralf Fahrmann will be Neuer's replacement at Schalke after he rejoined the club at which he started his career on a free transfer from Eintracht Frankfurt.
    The 22-year-old has joined on a four-year contract.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 02-06-11

Hiddink - misses day-to-day involvement.
    HIDDINK INTERESTED IN CLUB RETURN

Guus Hiddink, one of the favourites to replace Carlo Ancelotti as Chelsea manager, has given a clear indication that he would be interested in returning to club football.
    The veteran Dutch boss, who had a successful five-month stint in charge of the Blues during the 2008-09 season, is currently in charge of the Turkish national side and is preparing for their Euro 2012 qualifier with Belgium this weekend, but has said he misses day-to-day involvement with players.
    He has a year left on his deal with Turkey but said in The Sun today: "I never told anybody that I was going to continue working with Turkey.
    "I feel energetic and I like working every day and I feel I need to do more, so a club role is more preferable than coaching a national team.
    "I haven't told the president of the Turkish FA. But he is an intelligent man and I'm sure he follows the world's football media. There is no official offer yet so I cannot guarantee anything yet."
    Hiddink is a close friend of Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich and has acted as an advisor to the Russian since leaving London in May 2009.
    He guided Chelsea to an FA Cup final win over Everton during his time in charge, having been called to rescue their season following the sacking of Luiz Felipe Scolari.

Uploads

Pastore - reportedly subject of Chelsea offer.
    PALERMO CLAIM BLUES BID

Italian outfit Palermo claim they have rejected a bid from Chelsea for Argentina star Javier Pastore.
    The highly-rated 21-year-old is being chased by Europe's biggest clubs with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan, AC Milan and Manchester City all understood to be keen on the young forward.
    Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini values his young star at over 40million, which is why he says he has shunned an offer from Chelsea which falls short of his valuation.
    "Chelsea was a club that we had a major offer from,'' Zamparini told Spanish radio station Cadena Ser.
    "It did not reach the minimum figure that we set for a player of his quality.
    "If somone wants to buy Pastore, the price is 50 million [44m].
    "There are five or six clubs also interested, including [Manchester] City and big clubs from Spain and Italy, but so far there has been nothing from them."

Uploads

Mark Hughes - favourite with the bookies.
    MARK HUGHES IN FRAME FOR VILLA JOB

Aston Villa are stepping up their search for a new manager after Gerard Houllier stepped down on Wednesday, with Fulham's Mark Hughes the early favourite with bookmakers.
    Houllier's nine-month reign ended by mutual consent because of his recent heart problems which resulted in him not taking charge the final five games of last season.
    Everton boss David Moyes is the preferred choice of 44% of fans who took part in a poll conducted by the Birmingham Mail. But it is former Wales boss Hughes who appears to be the early front-runner.
    Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "As a board, we are very conscious of the need to ensure that the club is prepared fully to meet the demands of the new season.
    "To that end, we have already embarked upon the process which will lead to the appointment of a new manager."
    Former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti, ex-England coach Steve McClaren, former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez and Wigan chief Roberto Martinez are other names being linked with Villa.
    Houllier, 63, had been hoping to return to his post but has eventually acknowledged he needs to recuperate before a possible return to football.
    He said: "I am extremely disappointed that I will not have the opportunity to manage Aston Villa next season.
    "My health has improved considerably since I was taken ill on April 20. I now intend to take the next few months to concentrate on recuperating fully before I may return to football.
    "I was very much looking forward to the prospect of my first full season as Villa manager and returning for pre-season training to prepare for the campaign ahead, a luxury that I did not have last season."
    Faulkner said: "We regret the circumstances of Gerard's departure and, naturally, we wish him well in his continued recovery.
    "I know I speak for everyone associated with Aston Villa in expressing our hope that Gerard will return to full health as quickly as possible and we wish him all the best for the future."
    Villa's record signing, Darren Bent, has revealed his sadness at Houllier having quit.
    He showed his faith in Bent by splashing out an initial 18million to Sunderland in January and he responded with nine goals in 16 games.
    Bent said: "It is sad for me to see Gerard go. He signed me, invested a lot of money in me.
    "He showed a lot of faith in me.
    "But your health comes first and, if he's not well enough to come back, then he needs to take a break."

Uploads

Simeone - contract terminated by Catania.
    SIMEONE LEAVES CATANIA

Catania have parted company with coach Diego Simeone.
    Simeone, who had been put in charge in January after the club sacked Marco Giampaolo, had one year left on his contract.
    A statement from Catania read: "After four months of great work and having considered new professional possibilities, Catania club administrator Pietro Lo Monaco and coach Diego Pablo Simeone have reached a mutual agreement to terminate the coach's contract.
    "The club wishes the coach and his staff all the best in the future."
    The Former Argentina and Lazio midfielder had an impressive run with Catania, who ended the season in 13th place - 10 points clear of the relegation zone.
    Under Simeone, Catania lost just two of their last 10 league games.
    There is media speculation that Simeone will now move on to coach in Spain's Primera Liga.

Uploads

Parker - aiming to be part of Euro 2012.
    PARKER: ENGLAND HOPES HINGE ON MOVE

Scott Parker has admitted it would be virtually impossible to continue his England career if he remains in the npower Championship with West Ham.
    Co-owner David Gold has already stated his belief that Parker will leave Upton Park this summer, while new boss Sam Allardyce has also said it was likely he will be sold.
    The midfielder is refusing to enter any debate until after England's Euro 2012 qualifier with Switzerland at Wembley on Saturday.
    However, speaking at the Millbrook testing plant of England sponsors Vauxhall, where he also took part in a Q&A session with local workers, Parker outlined an inescapable truth for a player who has only just broken back onto the Three Lions scene.
    "Not many players do get picked from the Championship," he said.
    "That is just the way it is.
    "But it is too early to say exactly what is going to happen to me on a personal level. I am sure we will see over the next couple of months.
    "There is speculation but it is easy for me to block it out.
    "If I was 22 it would probably be a different story and my mind would be elsewhere.
    "Now I am quite experienced. I know how things work."
    Parker is expected to start on Saturday, which would represent the first time he has kept his place for back-to-back qualifiers in his entire career.
    Given he feared never playing for his country again after Fabio Capello axed him from the provisional World Cup squad without featuring for a single minute in the two warm-up games, Parker is understandably keen to remain involved.
    "My aim is to be there come this time next year," he said of the prospect of playing at Euro 2012.
    "I know there is a long way to go and things can change but if I can help in any way, that is what I will try and do.
    "I never felt like quitting England. My mentality was always to work hard and force my way in.
    "It was quite difficult not to be selected for the World Cup. After that I thought my chances would have been limited.
    "But the Wales game was a massive chance for me. I felt if I didn't perform in that game I would not have pulled on an England shirt again.
    "In football, especially at international level, when opportunities come along you have to grab them."

Uploads

Houllier - steps down.
    GERARD HOULLIER STEPS DOWN AT VILLA

Aston Villa have confirmed the departure of Gerard Houllier as manager after nine months in charge of the midlands club.
    Houllier is parting company with Villa because of concerns over his health after his recent heart problems.
    It has been common knowledge for 24 hours that Houllier's reign was coming to an end after he underwent further medical tests before the weekend.
    Villa will now step up their search to find a replacement for Houllier, with Fulham's Mark Hughes one of the early names to be linked with the post.
    Houllier was unable to take charge of team affairs for the final five games of the season and doctors have advised that he will require further time to recuperate.
    Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "I would like to thank Gerard for his considerable efforts over the past nine months and for the dedication, commitment and work ethic he has demonstrated as Villa manager.
    "We regret the circumstances of Gerard's departure and, naturally, we wish him well in his continued recovery.
    "I know I speak for everyone associated with Aston Villa in expressing our hope that Gerard will return to full health as quickly as possible and we wish him all the best for the future."
    Faulkner added: "As a board we are very conscious of the need to ensure that the club is prepared fully to meet the demands of the new season.
    "To that end, we have already embarked upon the process which will lead to the appointment of a new manager.
    "We will update when appropriate and until such time as we can make an announcement there will be no further comment from the club on this matter."
    Houllier has hinted he may eventually return to football.
    He said: "I am extremely disappointed that I will not have the opportunity to manage Aston Villa next season.
    "My health has improved considerably since I was taken ill on April 20. I now intend to take the next few months to concentrate on recuperating fully before I may return to football.
    "I was very much looking forward to the prospect of my first full season as Villa manager and returning for pre-season training to prepare for the campaign ahead, a luxury that I did not have last season.
    "I have been extremely touched by all of the messages I have received and by the reaction of people throughout the world of football.
    "I am very grateful to the Villa fans for their genuine concern and encouragement and to the fans of clubs up and down the country for their kind sentiments.
    "I would especially like to thank my assistant manager, Gary McAllister, my staff, the players and all at Aston Villa for their support and, of course, for their efforts in securing a very positive end to last season.
    "It has been an honour to manage this great club and I wish everyone connected with Aston Villa every success for the future."
    Phil Thompson, Houllier's assistant at Liverpool and a close friend, was surprised by the announcement.
    He told Sky Sports News: "I spoke to Gerard yesterday and he was getting back to full health. It comes as a bit of surprise.
    "He was fine and he was looking forward to pre-season and everything.
    "Things have gone on today to change matters but as far as health matters go he sounded good, he was looking forward to it."
    Asked if he felt the Frenchman's managerial career was now over, Thompson added: "The game would be poorer if he packed it in. He's a fantastic manager, a great organiser and a great man manager and that's important in the modern day."
    Gerard Houllier factfile:
    1947: Born September 3, Lille.
    Never plays football professionally but works as an English teacher while playing for, and then coaching, local amateur side Le Touquet in the 1970s.
    1982: Becomes manager of Lens, guiding them into European competition.
    1985: Takes over at Paris St Germain, whom he leads to the French title in 1986.
    1988: Leaves PSG to take a coaching position in the French national set-up. Becomes assistant to Michel Platini.
    1990: Becomes technical director with French Football Federation and guides Under-18 side to victory in European Championships.
    1992: Succeeds Platini as national coach.
    1994: Resigns after France fail to qualify for the 1994 World Cup finals. Remains technical director role while also working alongside new coach Aime Jacquet.
    1998: July - Appointed joint team manager of Liverpool with Roy Evans.
    November - Confirmed as sole manager of Liverpool with Evans leaving by mutual agreement.
    2001: February - Liverpool beat Birmingham on penalties to win the Worthington Cup.
    May - Liverpool win the FA Cup, coming from behind to beat Arsenal 2-1. The Reds complete a cup treble by winning the UEFA Cup, beating Alaves 5-4 in extra-time.
    October 13 - Houllier taken to hospital where he has open heart surgery after suffering from chest pains during the home match against Leeds. He is discharged on November 1.
    2003: Liverpool win the League Cup by beating Manchester United in the final, but finish fifth in the league.
    2004: March - Days after graffiti is daubed on the walls of Liverpool's training ground demanding Houllier's resignation, the Frenchman reveals he received a death threat prior to a match against Portsmouth match.
    May 24 - Liverpool announce they have parted company with Houllier after finishing fourth, 30 points behind champions Arsenal.
    2005: May 29 - Appointed manager of Lyon on a two-year contract.
    2006: Guides Lyon to title in his first season.
    2007: Lyon win second successive championship.
    May 25 - Steps down as Lyon manager.
    September 14 - Named technical director by the France Football Federation (FFF).
    2008: January 14 - FFF confirm they would be prepared to release him from his contract to take charge of Newcastle, but speculation comes to nothing.
    2010: September 8 - Named Aston Villa manager, although a delay in ending his contract with the FFF means he cannot immediately take charge.
    September 22 - Takes charge of his first game, a 3-1 win over Blackburn in the Carling Cup, although he had not yet signed a contract.
    September 24 - Signs a three-year contract with Villa.
    December 10 - Houllier reveals he has held talks with Randy Lerner over the team's poor form, but insists he retains the owner's full support.
    2011: April 21 - Admitted to hospital with chest pains. Misses the rest of the season with assistant Gary McAllister leading the side for the final five games.
    June 1 - Steps down as Aston Villa manager.

Uploads

Bent - wants England duo to stay.
    BENT HOPES YOUNG AND DOWNING STAY

Darren Bent has pleaded with his England and Aston Villa team-mates Ashley Young and Stewart Downing to remain at their club - and continue to help him deliver goals.
    Bent has benefited from the service provided by Manchester United target Young and Downing - linked strongly with Liverpool - since his 18 million move from Sunderland to Villa in January.
    It has helped him to become a first-choice striker for England and he will be looking to score for the fourth successive international on Saturday against Switzerland at Wembley.
    Bent said: "I've been in both of their ears trying to convince them (Young and Downing) to stay.
    "They are two top, top players and, if we can hold onto them next season, it will be fantastic.
    "I hope they stay. What is going on in their careers and lives is down to them.
    "But for me, being a striker, you want the best service and they are probably the two best wingers in the league.
    "If we can keep hold of them two I will be very, very happy."
    Bent netted nine times in 16 games for Villa and carried that form into the international arena with his goals against Denmark and Wales after breaking his duck in the autumn against Switzerland.
    He said: "A lot of people, when I made the move, were questioning if it was the right decision.
    "I always knew in my head it was the right decision for me and my performances for Villa have been good.
    "I've managed to get goals and my England career has picked up as well. For me, it was the perfect move at the right time."
    Bent may be at the forefront of Capello's current plans but a year ago to the day he suffered heartbreak when being left out of the World Cup squad for South Africa.
    It made him determined to return this season and make the kind of impact which meant he could not be marginalised by the England head coach.
    He said: "I was really disappointed when the squad was announced. I remember sitting by the phone all morning and it was a really disappointing day for me.
    "I tried to put it out of my mind and get on with it. Obviously it took a lot longer than I thought it was going to take.
    "But at the same time, you just want to keep playing well and hopefully not miss another major tournament.
    "I went away to America on holiday and watched all the games over there as a fan and wanted them to do well.
    "Since the World Cup, and when Fabio didn't pick me, he has played me virtually everytime I've been fit.
    "I've managed to reward him with goals and hopefully there will be a few more for me.
    "The goal against Switzerland gave me massive confidence.
    "It felt like a big weight had been lifted off my shoulders because as a striker and a goalscorer you always want to score goals.
    "I had a few caps and had not got any goals and you start to think 'when is the first one coming' but I was fortunate to get in the right place at the right time again and stuck it away."
    Bent is determined England qualify for the Euro 2012 finals after being part of the squad which lost to Croatia at Wembley and failed to go through to the 2008 tournament.
    He said: "That was international-wise the lowest point. The atmosphere wasn't good at all and the conditions were horrible and raining.
    "I didn't get much of the game (the last 10 minutes as a substitute) but it was really disappointing.
    "This time around we've got off to a good start and hopefully we can keep on track by beating Switzerland, play really well, get the three points and give ourselves a big opportunity to kick on."
    A goal against the Swiss would also break Bent's duck at Wembley.
    He said: "I've not got a goal at Wembley for anyone to be honest. I've thought about that a couple of times.
    "I would like to put that one to bed so if I get an opportunity to play this weekend, hopefully that's another one I can chalk off.
    "I'm not sure it will be quite on the scale of Messi's though! (in the Champions League final)."
    Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick has withdrawn from the squad with a hip problem and is Capello's only injury setback.