Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 03-06-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 03-06-11

Latest Transfer Update at 03-06-11

Hiddink - favourite to replace Ancelotti at Chelsea.
    HIDDINK RULES OUT DUAL ROLE

Guus Hiddink has admitted that it would be "impossible" to combine his role as Turkey manager with working as Chelsea boss.
    The Dutchman remains the favourite to succeed Carlo Ancelotti at Stamford Bridge after the Italian was axed just 12 months after securing a first-ever double for the Blues.
    Hiddink enjoyed a previous three-month spell as interim manager for the West London outfit in 2009, guiding the club to FA Cup glory, when he was also at the helm of Russia.
    And having undertaken a similar dual role with Australia and PSV Eindhoven, there have been suggestions the 64-year-old could begin working as Chelsea manager this summer while still guiding Turkey towards Euro 2012.
    But the experienced manager, who maintains he has not been approached by the Blues and is keen to focus on his current post, insists that would not be possible.
    Hiddink said: "I talk with the president a lot about our futures and when I give an answer about this, then I'm answering already as if something is going on. But it's not going on.
    "What I did in the past was a double function, but that was exceptional. It is impossible. I need to focus on one job.
    "I made a contract with the federation president. There are no conditions that someone could do two jobs. I did it in the past because there was, let's say, a strong connection between myself and my employers at the time.
    "It's not useful to talk about my future, because this team are in transition. They must go on. My future is more in the past.
    "There is no single other approach. I can spend one or two hours reacting to the speculation, but that's not worth it. If you ask the Turkey players, we don't talk about it."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 03-06-11

Sturridge - Bolton move 'win-win' says Coyle.
    COYLE PLANS STURRIDGE RETURN

Bolton boss Owen Coyle has admitted he will try and bring Chelsea forward Daniel Sturridge back to the club next season.
    Sturridge spent the second half of last season at the Reebok Stadium, impressing with eight goals in 12 appearances.
    The England Under 21 international has admitted he wants to try and break his way into the Chelsea side, but Coyle believes he would be better off returning to Bolton for another loan spell.
    "We will try and get him back here for next season," Coyle told the Daily Star.
    "It's a win-win situation - for the player, the parent club and for us.
    "I feel with Daniel that another period at Bolton will take him on to the next level and then he will be a starter for Chelsea.
    "Right now he is behind Drogba, Torres, Malouda, Anelka and Kalou. Like all our loan players, we give them a platform and belief they can play in the best league in the world.
    "Daniel set the place alight during his time here - and we'd love him back to help with his development next season."

Uploads

Snodgrass - 3.5million bid from Norwich rejected.
    NORWICH FAIL IN SNODGRASS BID

Norwich City have reportedly had a 3.5million offer for winger Robert Snodgrass rejected by Leeds United.
    Norwich boss Paul Lambert is busy assembling a squad for the Premier League and has already brought in striker James Vaughan from Everton.
    A deal in excess of 2million has also been agreed with Millwall for Steve Morison and now a move has been made to bring Snodgrass to Carrow Road.
    Snodgrass has been an influential performer for Leeds since joining the club from Livingston in 2008 and he has made over 140 appearances.
    He is also now a Scotland international and has regularly been linked with a switch to the top flight, with the likes of Stoke City and Newcastle United previously mooted as admirers.
    However, it appears Norwich will have to up the ante in their efforts to capture Snodgrass after the club's initial bid for the 23-year-old was turned down.

Uploads

Damiao - valued at 17million.
    SPURS' DAMIAO 'BID' REJECTED

Internacional president Giovanni Luigi claims the club have turned down an offer from Tottenham Hotspur for rising star Leandro Damiao.
    Spurs have an affiliation agreement with Internacional and last year signed midfielder Sandro from the Brazilian club.
    Sandro has impressed during the second half of the Premier League season and the midfielder says he has recommended his compatriot to the Spurs board.
    However, while Internacional have previously admitted it is inevitable that Damiao will eventually leave the club, an opening bid of €12million (10.6m) from Spurs has been rejected.
    "It's the first offer that we have received and we have refused it," Luigi told the Brazilian media.
    "I said I didn't want to sell now. I warned that he'll only leave at the end of the year and for more money.
    "Tottenham has offered €12million for Damiao, but we think that it's not enough for a player that is 21 years old and that has an excellent future."
    Damiao is reportedly valued by Internacional at 17million and is already a full international for Brazil.
    His exploits in his homeland have also seen Arsenal, Barcelona, Manchester United, Benfica and Roma linked with bids.

Uploads

King - 'overwhelmed' by Coventry fans.
    MARLON KING COMMITS TO COVENTRY

Striker Marlon King is set to stay at Coventry, boss Andy Thorn has revealed.
    The Sky Blues' player of the season was a reported target for Leicester but has verbally agreed a new two-year deal at the Ricoh Arena and will put pen to paper on his return from a family holiday.
    Thorn told the Coventry Telegraph: "It's fantastic news - it's made my holiday.
    "Marlon rang and said: 'I've got some bad news for you - it looks as if you're stuck with me for the next couple of years'.
    "He said he was so overwhelmed with the way the fans have embraced him since he joined the club and he feels, like I do, that we are on the verge of going places.
    "He said there's no way he could sign for anybody else and he can't wait to start the new season.
    "It couldn't be better news and means we will have a really good go at it next year knowing we have got a striker of Marlon's quality."

Uploads

Hughes - favourite for Villa job.
    HUGHES TO VILLA 'NOT A FORMALITY'

Mark Hughes' departure from Fulham has "no connection" with the vacant Aston Villa hot-seat following manager Gerard Houllier's departure, Press Association Sport understands.
    On Thursday night, several bookmakers were taking no more bets on Hughes, who is odds-on to take over as manager of the Villa Park club.
    But sources close to Villa are adamant it is pure coincidence Hughes is available at this juncture and insisting "don't believe what the bookmakers are saying".
    Hughes was also insisting he has not been approached for any managerial post.
    Former Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti remains among the candidates with the kind of pedigree which impresses Villa owner Randy Lerner
    Everton boss David Moyes, ex-England head coach Steve McClaren and former Tottenham manager Martin Jol are also names being linked with Villa.
    Hughes was only fourth choice among Villa fans to replace Houllier in a poll conducted by a Birmingham paper behind Moyes, Ancelotti and Jol.
    What is clear is Villa are hoping to appoint Houllier's successor before the end of June.
    They want to give him time to assess the current squad and bring in potential targets before the new campaign.
    The current squad are due to report back for pre-season training on July 7.
    A source close to Villa said: "The club are aware of the need to bring in the right man with the right pedigree.
    "But they are also aware of the important of giving him time to make his mark before the new season after last summer."
    That is a reference to Villa having start looking for a new manager so near to the start of the campaign after O'Neill decided to end his four-year reign.
    Houllier did not take charge until mid-September and was left to play catch-up in trying to make his mark on the club with the transfer window closed.

Uploads

Samba - proud of keeping Blackburn in Premier League.
    SAMBA UNFAZED BY SPECULATION

Blackburn Rovers defender Christopher Samba has distanced himself from rumours surrounding his future.
    The Congo international was in inspired form for Rovers last term, helping the club preserve their Premier League status.
    Samba's displays have led to suggestions that he is a reported Arsenal target, with the Gunners rumoured to be keen to bolster their defence ahead of next season.
    But the 27-year-old has not been drawn on the conjecture, instead stressing his focus is on recovery following a tough campaign.
    He told the Lancashire Telegraph: "Hopefully it is a big summer for the club.
    "My only concern at the moment is to go on holiday. I am not going to worry about next year now.
    "My mind is set on relaxing at the moment because, for me, that is the hardest season I have had at Blackburn Rovers. It has been very hard mentally.
    "Someone asked me what is harder, playing for the title or playing to avoid relegation on the last day? Avoiding relegation is harder.
    "You are so drained, so credit to the players and everyone. We did it and I feel very proud about that.
    "A lot of things have changed and it has been a very hard time. That was the first time I have gone 12 games without a win, a lot of things have gone on.
    "I am very happy now though. Let us see who we sign. Now we can improve the squad. That is up to the owners, we have no powers."

Uploads

Neuer - poised for Bayern move.
    LOW ON A HIGH OVER NEUER MOVE

Germany coach Joachim Low has welcomed Manuel Neuer's move to Bayern Munich.
    The Germany goalkeeper will undergo a medical and sign a five-year contract at Bayern when he returns from international duty next week after the Bundesliga giants yesterday agreed a deal with Schalke.
    And Low is pleased his first-choice keeper will be playing Champions League football regularly.
    "It is a logical step, a logical move," he said.
    "He has the expectation of playing in the Champions League every year. For him that means developing and progressing.
    "It is also a good move for Bayern to have lots of German players."
    Neuer's move to Bayern had been expected since he announced in April he would not be extending his contract at Schalke, which was due to expire next year.
    He said: "It has dragged on for some time and I am glad that I can announce the transfer. I am very much looking forward to it."

Uploads

Jim Jefferies - looking to boost Hearts' squad.
    JJ: ROMANOV MEETING 'CONSTRUCTIVE'

Hearts manager Jim Jefferies has reported positive talks with owner Vladmir Romanov as he continues his summer recruitment drive.
    Jefferies, who met Romanov in Lithuania, has so far signed left-back Danny Grainger from St Johnstone, striker John Sutton from Motherwell and Jamie Hamill from Kilmarnock.
    A deal to bring in defender Zander Diamond from Aberdeen has reportedly stalled following a medical, while Jefferies has so far not followed through his interest in Kilmarnock playmaker Mehdi Taouil.
    The Hearts manager told the club's official website: "There are still one or two things to sort out on the player front and it was good to get some decent time to sit down with Vladimir and go over them.
    "It was a constructive meeting. I am on holiday soon so this was the ideal chance for us to talk about a number of matters."

Uploads

McCarthy - linked with Liverpool and Arsenal.
    JAMES McCARTHY FACES 'TOUGH CHOICE'

James McCarthy faces a dilemma if a top club comes calling this summer, according to one Wigan team-mate.
    Liverpool have been heavily linked with the 20-year-old, while Latics owner Dave Whelan has already admitted McCarthy's long-term future is likely to lie elsewhere.
    Fellow midfielder and former Hamilton pal James McArthur reckons the choice could boil down to one between a big club and regular action.
    "I'm sure he'll be tempted if there are offers there," McArthur told the Liverpool Echo.
    "To be linked with teams like Liverpool and Arsenal is very tempting but I'm sure he'll want to keep playing. So it's a Catch 22 and a hard decision for him again."
    "I always believed he would play in the Premier League and when I saw him make his debut and he was doing so well, I knew he would kick on, and he has."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast