Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 07-06-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 07-06-11

Latest Transfer Update at 07-06-11

Martin Jol - back in the Premier League.

Martin Jol has been named as Fulham's new manager.
    The 55-year-old former Tottenham boss has agreed an initial two-year contract at Craven Cottage with the option of a further 12 months.
    The Dutchman replaces Mark Hughes, who resigned as Fulham manager last Thursday after one season at the helm.
    Jol, who was sacked by Spurs in 2007, was linked with the Fulham role last year but Ajax refused to release him from his post as head coach at the Amsterdam ArenA.
    He has been out of work since quitting the Dutch club last December and has now spoken of his excitement at returning to the Barclays Premier League.
    "I am very happy to join Fulham Football Club, a wonderful traditional club," he told the club's official website.
    "It is a club with good, solid foundations and a great fan base.
    "I am looking forward to being part of the Fulham family and thank the chairman for the trust he's shown in me."
    Martin Jol Factfile
    1956: Born January 16 in The Hague, Holland.
    1973: Begins playing career at his home-town club ADO Den Haag.
    1976: Wins Dutch Cup.
    1977: Transferred to German giants Bayern Munich.
    1979: Returns to Holland with FC Twente.
    1980: Makes Holland debut in 1-1 draw against West Germany.
    1981: Moves to West Brom to fill void left by Bryan Robson's sale to Manchester United. Reaches the semi-finals of both the FA and League Cups but loses both.
    West Brom beaten by Tottenham over two legs in the League Cup.
    1984: Moves to Coventry.
    1985: Returns to end his playing career with a successful second stint at ADO.
    1991: Begins coaching career at ADO Den Haag amateur side and leads them to two promotions in three years.
    1995: Coaches Scheveningen, who are crowned Dutch non-league champions.
    1996: Takes over at Roda JC.
    1997: Roda win the Dutch Cup, their first trophy in 30 years.
    1998: Moves to RKC Waalwijk and transforms club from relegation candidates to
    European challengers on a limited budget.
    2001: Named Dutch Football Writers' Coach of the Year.
    2002: Named Dutch players' and coaches' Coach of the Year.
    2003: September - Claims he has been approached by Sir Alex Ferguson with a view to succeeding Carlos Queiroz as Ferguson's number two at Old Trafford.
    2004: Moves to Tottenham as first assistant to head coach Jacques Santini.
    November - Santini stands down and Jol is asked to take charge of first-team affairs for Premier League game against Charlton. Jol is confirmed as new head coach on November 8, 2004.
    December: Named Premier League Manager of the Month.
    2005: August - Signs new three-year deal with Tottenham.
    2006: May - Spurs finish fifth in the league, securing UEFA Cup football for the first time in the Premier League era. Spurs miss out on fourth place - and Champions League football - on the final day of the season when a team weakened by illness loses and Arsenal win.
    2007: Spurs finish fifth for a second consecutive season as well as reaching the semi-final of the FA Cup and last eight in both the UEFA Cup and Carling Cup.
    October 25 -Tottenham confirm they have asked Jol to stand down as manager with immediate effect.
    2008: May 13 - Appointed Hamburg coach on a two-year contract.
    2009: April 22
    - Knocked out of German Cup on penalties in semi-final by Werder Bremen.
    May 7 - Eliminated from UEFA Cup on away goals in semi-final, again by Werder Bremen.
    May 23 - Leads Hamburg to fifth-place finish in Bundesliga and a place in the Europa League.
    May 26 - Appointed Ajax coach on a three-year contract.
    2010: February 25 - Dumped out of Europa League, going down 2-1 on aggregate to Marseille at last-32 stage.
    May 2 - Ajax miss out on the Dutch league title by one point despite firing 50 goals in their last 14 matches.
    May 6 - Guides Ajax to KNVB Beker (Dutch Cup) victory with 6-1 aggregate win over Feyenoord.
    July 22 - Confirms he will stay with Ajax but admits his agent did hold "serious talks" with Fulham.
    December 6 - Resigns from Ajax post.
    2011: June 7 - Named Fulham boss on two-year deal.

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 07-06-11

N'Zogbia - has big ambitions.

Wigan winger Charles N'Zogbia wants to join a "bigger club, with bigger goals" than the Latics.
    N'Zogbia is currently with the France squad after he was handed a recall by coach Laurent Blanc following a brilliant end to the Premier League season.
    The former Newcastle man has been strongly linked with a return to Tyneside, while Sunderland and Liverpool are also thought to be very keen.
    But N'Zogbia has warned any suitors that he wants to make sure he joins a side challenging for silverware.
    "It is true that over the last two years at Wigan, our goal has been to stay in the Premier League and it is tough and it has been a bit detrimental to me," he told Sport France.
    "It is a bit of a disadvantage to me, but I always give my best for whichever team I am with.
    "I have one year left on my contract, and after two years I think the coach and the owner are satisfied with what I have produced.
    "Now they know that I want to sign with a bigger club, with bigger goals who can play in Europe and also help me with France.
    "I said to them that if I am still at Wigan then I would give them 200 per cent, as I am loyal to the club.
    "But they have opted for a transfer and I hope it will happen under good conditions and that everyone will be happy."
    N'Zogbia underlined that he wants to join a club with big ambition and admitted that he wanted to stay in Premier League, but he would consider moves to France, Spain or Italy too.
    "A big club for me is one that plays in Europe, and which has the goal of winning the title - that may be in England, France, Spain or Italy," he continued.
    "I left France at the age of 18, and I have been in the Premier League for six or seven years and I have evolved in the Premier League, I am familiar with that and I have learned the customs of that league and I feel good.
    "So it is the Premier League first for me, after that France, Spain or Italy - I have seen them on television and it would be a new challenge."

Zoltan Gera - West Brom return mooted.

Zoltan Gera remains tight-lipped over whether he will be returning to West Brom - but admits he still loves the club where he spent four years before moving to Fulham.
    The 32-year-old midfielder will be a free agent when his contract at Craven Cottage expires at the end of the month.
    But he has already held initial talks with the Baggies about a possible return, Press Association Sport understands.
    Gera made 155 appearances and scored 25 goals for West Brom before current Albion boss Roy Hodgson signed him for the Cottagers in summer 2008.
    The Hungary international said: "I don't want to talk about my future as yet as there is a lot to sort out.
    "There is nothing more I can say about that at the moment. But it is correct to say I enjoyed my time at West Brom. They gave me my chance in English football.
    "I still love the club and, the two times I've gone back with Fulham, I had a wonderful reception from the fans. You don't forge things like that."
    Albion sources remain optimistic Gera will eventually put pen to paper.
    He initially signed for the midlands club in a 1.5million deal from Ferencvaros in 2004.

Kagawa - reportedly interests Man Utd.

Reported Manchester United target Shinji Kagawa has admitted he would be interested in a move to Old Trafford.
    The Borussia Dortmund playmaker is believed to have attracted United's interest after impressing for club and country.
    United are said to have been tracking the Japanese midfielder's progress for the last year and are now reportedly weighing up a move.
    Kagawa admits he would be interested in a move to United if they came calling for him.
    "If I get a formal offer, I'll be strongly interested in listening to what they have to say," Kagawa told Nikkan Sports.
    "The Premiership is one of the leagues I want to challenge,"
    "If it is Man Utd, I'll be still more eager to go and try how much I can do there."
    Dortmund are keen to keep Kagawa and are ready to tie him down to a new deal as they prepare for a tilt at the Champions League next season.

Gallas - says he's proved a point.

William Gallas says he has proved Arsene Wenger was wrong to let him leave Arsenal last summer.
    Gallas, 33, made the short move to Tottenham on a free transfer after failing to agree terms to remain at the Emirates Stadium.
    While he earned positive reviews for his performances at Spurs, the Gunners' quest for silverware again ended fruitlessly, with defensive errors often to blame.
    Wenger is almost certain to be in the market for central defensive reinforcements this summer after the likes of Sebastien Squillaci and Laurent Koscielny failed to convince.
    Reflecting on his departure, Gallas said: "They decided to not make the effort to keep me. It is a choice I respect, and they respected the fact I didn't want the wages they proposed.
    "Did Wenger make a mistake in not keeping me? He made a choice, but indeed I believe he made a mistake.
    "In the street, Arsenal fans asked me why I left. The coach thought I was a finished player. I proved he was wrong."
    The former France international went on to suggest that the same problems he diagnosed during his time at Arsenal have yet to be remedied.
    "When I was captain I wanted to give a message, but they didn't get it. I may have been clumsy, but the substance was right. I came from Chelsea, where I won titles, and I wanted to share my experience, because I thought we missed commitment in our work.
    "My message has not been understood and I am also responsible for that. Unfortunately the last season showed that team still misses something."

Brown - 'realistic' over Rae move.

Aberdeen boss Craig Brown fears he may miss out on a move for former Rangers midfielder Gavin Rae.
    Rae is looking for a new club after being released by Cardiff at the end of last season.
    Aberdeen have expressed an interest in signing the 33-year-old, but Brown believes the Scotland international will have a number of options to consider.
    "We can certainly offer him regular football, but we must be realistic," Brown told the Daily Record.
    "He can't throw away the chance of a really good deal at this stage of his career."

Hiddink - strongly linked with Chelsea return.

The Turkish Football Federation (TFF) have denied they have agreed terms for the departure of national team coach Guus Hiddink and do not expect any potential negotiations with Chelsea to begin until next week.
    Hiddink is thought to be the Blues' number one choice to replace previous manager Carlo Ancelotti, who was fired shortly after the club's trophy-less season came to an end last month.
    The Dutchman has a strong relationship with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich and previously managed the club during a successful three-month caretaker spell in 2009.
    His contract as Turkey manager runs until next summer but he added fuel to speculation that he wants to return to Stamford Bridge after refusing to commit his future to the country before Friday's 1-1 draw against Belgium.
    Reports on Monday morning suggested the TFF are resigned to losing their manager.
    Chelsea are reportedly keen to tie up a deal for the 64-year-old soon, but the TFF say any potential negotiations will have to wait until next week as their president Mahmut Ozgener, and Hiddink himself, are on holiday.
    "There is nothing official happening because both parties are away," TFF spokesman Turker Tozar said.
    "Mr Hiddink is on holiday now and the president is on holiday for a week as well. Nothing can happen at the moment."
    Reports the TFF and Chelsea have already agreed a compensation deal for Hiddink are also wide of the mark, Tozar insisted.
    "Mr Hiddink is still our manager and he has a contract until 2012," he added.
    Hiddink's agent Cees van Nieuwenhuizen insists his client is still focused on leading Turkey to Euro 2012 despite last weekend's disappointing draw, which left the team eight points behind Group A leaders Germany and one behind the Belgians.
    The Turkish media reacted angrily to Hiddink's refusal to commit his future to the TFF this weekend.
    'Good riddance' and 'Goodbye Hiddink' were two negative headlines aimed at the former Real Madrid boss following the draw against Belgium, but Van Nieuwenhuizen remains adamant his client is still happy in his current position.
    "He is very happy with the draw in Brussels because he is still in the race for the European Championships," Van Nieuwenhuizen said.
    "Nothing has changed. I have said it before, Guus is under contract with Turkey.
    "He has an obligation there until his contract is up in June next year. We have been saying that for weeks. Everyone is making their own stories about his future, but this is the reality."

Taylor - bid to be considered.

Newcastle have made an undisclosed bid for Swansea left-back Neil Taylor.
    The 22-year-old Wales international made 30 league appearances last season - including 26 starts - as the Welsh club clinched promotion to the Barclays Premier League via the npower Championship play-offs.
    "We have received a proposal from Newcastle regarding Neil," Swans chairman Huw Jenkins told his club's official website. "But the proposal has not been accepted or rejected at this stage.
    "We have received a number of enquiries from different clubs for Neil's services and, like all bids we receive for any of our players, we will be talking it over with him when he returns from a break next week.
    "Neil is a player we brought to the club this season from the Conference with Wrexham with a view to him progressing and developing with us over a number of years.
    "The last thing on our mind was to sell anyone over the summer."
    Taylor began his career in the youth set-up at Manchester City before leaving for Wrexham at the age of 15 due to injury.
    After making more than 80 appearances over three years for his hometown club, Taylor joined the Swans last summer on a three-year contract for a tribunal-fixed fee of 150,000 plus 10% of any future transfer profit.
    He was a key figure in the Swans' promotion-winning campaign, but missed the play-off final triumph against Reading through suspension after being sent off in the first minute of the semi-final first leg against Nottingham Forest.
    Taylor earned his first senior Wales cap under John Toshack in a friendly in Croatia in May 2010.

Luka Modric - 'irreplaceable'

Harry Redknapp insists Luka Modric, Gareth Bale and Sandro will not be leaving Tottenham this summer.
    Croatian star Modric has been strongly linked with a move Manchester United as the Premier League champions seek a replacement for Paul Scholes.
    But the Spurs boss has made it clear the club must keep their star names at White Hart Lane if they're to finish in the top four next season.
    Redknapp told Sky Sports News: "We are not selling Luka, we are not selling Gareth and we are not selling Sandro.
    "We are looking to build a team at Tottenham, not dismantle one. If we're going to push on as a football club we need to keep them players and we need to add one or two other top players to them if we're looking to have a chance of ever getting back in the Champions League again.
    "So we're not looking to sell them players - that would be a massive backward step for the club."
    As regards speculation of a reported 20 million fee for Modric, he replied: "20 million for Luka? They've got to be dreaming, he's such a fantastic player.
    "You know, we've enquired about players and we're getting quoted more than that for people that couldn't lace his boots so it's not a goer.
    "I wouldn't put a value on him, I wouldn't want to sell him. He's one of those boys every day you come into work for me, and that's what it's about now.
    "I come in and I see him and he's just a great guy, he trains, gets on with the job, never complains, he loves his football.
    "He's the most low maintenance, easy to handle professional you've ever seen and he's a fantastic player so he's the last player you ever want to see leave your football club - he's irreplaceable."
    Having missed out on a place in next season's Champions League, Redknapp will be looking to bolster his squad during the transfer window and has already been linked with Villarreal striker Giuseppe Rossi, Falcao at Porto and West Ham's Scott Parker.
    But Redknapp said: "It's been busy - I've been busy doing nothing really, we haven't got anywhere.
    "There's been lots of phone calls, lots of talk in the newspapers but we're really at the moment not close to making any signings and certainly not looking to sell any of our better players."
    Meanwhile Modric's advisor is confident the Tottenham playmaker will stay at White Hart Lane.
    The midfielder's advisor, Mario Mamic, told Croatian newspaper Jutarnji List: "Luka will not go to Manchester United and he will also stay at Tottenham because I know that president Daniel Levy will not let him go."
    Mamic's father Zdravko is vice-president at Dinamo and believes United may have to top the club-record 30.75million they paid for Dimitar Berbatov in order to land Modric.
    "I heard that somebody has offered 20m pounds for Luka but that's crazy," he added.
    "When we talk about Modric, that price would only be enough to buy peanuts."

Steve McClaren - thought to be among contenders.

Aston Villa are finalising their shortlist of candidates to replace Gerard Houllier - with former England boss Steve McClaren among their targets, Press Association Sport understands.
    The midlands club are believed to have sounded out several contenders to see if they are available and interested in the post - including McClaren, who is known to be keen to return to the Barclays Premier League.
    Villa owner Randy Lerner and chief executive Paul Faulkner will draw up the final shortlist before looking to start conducting interviews on a formal basis, probably at the end of this week.
    Wigan boss Roberto Martinez is also understood to have impressed Lerner after helping the Latics avoid relegation and he has still to sign a new three-year contract.
    Lerner would ideally like to have Houllier's successor in place by mid-June.
    That would give him time to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the current squad and potential transfer targets before Villa report back for pre-season training on July 7.
    McClaren has been much derided for his 17 months spell in charge of England after the 2006 World Cup.
    But he has a successful record at club level, winning the League Cup and reaching the UEFA Cup final with Middlesbrough.
    After his unhappy England spell, McClaren returned to management with FC Twente and guided the Enschede outfit to the Dutch title although he then had an unhappy time with German club Wolfsburg and was sacked.
    Two other candidates, Carlo Ancelotti and Martin Jol, have now slipped out of the picture for differing reasons.
    Former Chelsea manager Ancelotti is taking a year's break from coaching while Jol has been appointed Fulham boss in succession to Mark Hughes - the early bookmakers' favourite for the Villa post.
    In the long term, former Villa defender Martin Laursen has indicated he would like the chance to manage the club.
    Laursen, forced to retire with a knee problem two years ago, will take his coaching badges later this year.
    He said: "It would be great to be Villa manager one day. That would be a big dream. But that's a long way off."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast