Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 09-06-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 09-06-11

Latest Transfer Update at 09-06-11

Klose - new Lazio signing.
    LAZIO SNAP UP KLOSE

Lazio have confirmed the signing of Germany striker Miroslav Klose.
    The 33-year-old has put pen to paper on a two-year contract with the Serie A outfit and joins on a Bosman free transfer after leaving Bayern Munich.
    Talks with Bayern over a new deal broke down earlier this week and Klose has wasted little time in getting fixed up with a new club.
    "Miroslav Klose is a Lazio player," read a brief statement on Lazio's official website, www.sslazio.it.
    Klose had also been a target for Turkish side Galatasaray and Primera Division club Valencia but opted for Lazio instead.
    The former Werder Bremen forward endured a disappointing campaign for Bayern in 2010/11, scoring just one goal in 20 Bundesliga appearances.
    Poland-born Klose made his name at Kaiserslautern before joining Bremen in 2004 and then Bayern in 2007.
    He helped Bayern to the Bundesliga and DFB-Pokal double in his first year at the club and was also instrumental as they reclaimed the league title in 2010 and reached the final of the Champions League.
    He has won 109 caps for Germany, scoring 61 times, and his record of 14 goals in World Cup finals is second only to Brazil's Ronaldo.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 09-06-11

Jordan Henderson - close to Liverpool move.
    HENDERSON SWITCH SET TO BE CONFIRMED

Liverpool are expected to complete the signing of Sunderland midfielder Jordan Henderson today in a deal worth around 20million.
    The highly-rated 20-year-old agreed personal terms and visited the club's Melwood training complex on Wednesday before undergoing a medical at a hospital elsewhere in the city.
    Liverpool were thought to have had initial bids of around 13million and 16million rejected before announcing they had agreed a fee on Wednesday.
    There has been no comment from either club on reports that the Reds' French striker David Ngog could be used a makeweight in the deal.
    Sunderland had been reluctant to part company with one of their prized assets and an impressive advert for their youth system, but chairman Niall Quinn now says he will leave with their blessing.
    Quinn said: "Jordan is a credit to himself, his family and Sunderland's Academy and everyone here wishes him the very best for the future.
    "I'm pleased that we got the deal to a level that we felt was right for our club.
    "We know the areas that need strengthening and the type of player we need in order to progress, and the job of bringing those players to the club is continuing at a pace."
    Henderson won his first England cap against France last November and his value has soared over the past year, despite a recent dip in form.
    He is the second big-money departure from the Stadium of Light in 2011 after Darren Bent's January move to Aston Villa, but manager Steve Bruce should now have funds to strengthen.
    The Wearsiders are understood to have tabled a bid in excess of 12million to Manchester United for Darron Gibson, Wes Brown and a third Old Trafford player. Speculation last night suggested the latter could be John O'Shea.
    Henderson, who was also linked with Manchester United, is likely to be the first of a number of new arrivals at Anfield as manager Kenny Dalglish attempts to rejuvenate his squad this summer.
    Reports continue to suggest the club retain interest in Blackpool midfielder Charlie Adam and Ipswich youngster Connor Wickham is thought to be another target.
    Henderson's signing also further underlines the willingness of owners Fenway Sports Group to invest in players following the combined 57.8million deals for Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez in January.

Uploads

Roberto Martinez - Aston Villa target.
    VILLA MAKE ROBERTO MARTINEZ MOVE

Wigan have given Aston Villa permission to speak to Roberto Martinez about the vacant managerial job at Villa Park.
    However, Latics chairman Dave Whelan remains confident the Spaniard will remain at the DW Stadium and is ready to offer Martinez a new contract.
    Villa made their approach for Martinez after Rafael Benitez, Steve McClaren and Mark Hughes were all ruled out of the running.
    Whelan told the Daily Telegraph: "Aston Villa have acted above board and in a totally professional manner.
    "They wrote to me asking for permission to speak to Roberto. He was on holiday at the time and I granted Villa permission.
    "He arrived back yesterday and I presume he has spoken to Villa. I have made it clear to him I will be extending his contract.
    "I have never let him down on anything and he has never let me down. I know I can never say never in football, but I would be very surprised if he is Aston Villa's new manager."
    Owner Randy Lerner is searching for a new manager after it was revealed last week that Gerard Houllier would not be returning to the club following his health scare.
    Villa turned to Martinez in their search for a new manager after McClaren and Benitez slipped out of the race.
    McClaren was due to be interviewed on Thursday by Lerner but sources close to the former England manager claim he has been told he would be "wasting his time" by attending the meeting.
    Those same sources indicate the negative reaction of some Villa fans to McClaren's name being linked to the post has been taken into consideration by Lerner.
    The claims have neither been confirmed nor denied by Villa, with Lerner understandably keen to make the right appointment to take the club forward.
    It has been a frustrating week for Villa after Houllier's reign ended due to concerns over his health.
    Hopes of persuading Carlo Ancelotti to become manager were ended when the ex-Chelsea and AC Milan boss announced he was taking a year's sabbatical from the game.
    Another potential candidate, Martin Jol, was appointed manager of Fulham on Tuesday, leaving Martinez, Bolton's Owen Coyle, and Mark Hughes - the original bookmakers' favourite after quitting Fulham - as the leading contenders.
    Lerner is keen to make an appointment sooner rather than later to allow the new man as much time as possible to assess the strength of the squad ahead of the new campaign.

Uploads

Pratley - linked with Bolton.
    PRATLEY CONFIRMS SWANSEA EXIT

Midfielder Darren Pratley has confirmed he will leave Swansea this summer after five years at the club.
    The 26-year-old Londoner has refused to sign a new deal and revealed he is eager for a new challenge after playing a key role in the Swans' promotion to the Barclays Premier League.
    Pratley made 179 appearances for the Welsh club and scored 27 goals, including a stunning strike in the npower Championship play-off semi-final second leg win over Nottingham Forest.
    He told the club's official website, www.swanseacity.net: "I'd like to thank the chairman (Huw Jenkins), manager and especially the fans for a wonderful five years.
    "But after five years I feel the time is right for a fresh challenge.
    "It's been a difficult decision for me and my family to make because Swansea is a fantastic club with such friendly and passionate supporters.
    "It's not going to be easy for me, but if there was a good time to leave then it's now, with the club having secured their place in the Premier League."

Uploads

SUNDERLAND TARGET MAN UNITED TRIO

Sunderland have wasted little time in attempting to bolster their squad in anticipation of Jordan Henderson's imminent departure after submitting a triple bid to Manchester United.
    It is understood the Black Cats have tabled a joint offer amounting to in excess of 12million for defender Wes Brown, midfielder Darron Gibson and a third member of Sir Alex Ferguson's first-team squad.
    The move came as Henderson's 20million switch to Anfield edged closer to completion.
    England international Brown, 31, was at one stage earlier in his career touted as the new Bobby Moore, but a succession of injury problems has hampered his progress in recent years.
    Gibson too has had to remain patient as he seeks a regular place in United's star-studded midfield, and the 23-year-old's Republic of Ireland boss, Giovanni Trapattoni, has on more than one occasion suggested he might benefit from a move to a club where he would play every week.
    Sunderland have been quick to press home their interest in the trio less than 24 hours after reaching agreement with Liverpool over Henderson.
    Chairman Niall Quinn earlier promised that Steve Bruce's squad would be strengthened, and he will hope the latest development is viewed as a sign of intent by fans disappointed at the 20-year-old Academy graduate's impending departure following Darren Bent's defection in January.
    Quinn said: "Jordan is a credit to himself, his family and Sunderland's Academy and everyone here wishes him the very best for the future.
    "I'm pleased that we got the deal to a level that we felt was right for our club.
    "We know the areas that need strengthening and the type of player we need in order to progress, and the job of bringing those players to the club is continuing at a pace."

Uploads

Ashley Young - expected to leave Villa.
    BENT: VILLA COULD COPE WITHOUT YOUNG

Striker Darren Bent insists Aston Villa will be able to compensate for the loss of Ashley Young.
    Young is expected to join Manchester United in the next few days, with Villa set to make a big profit on the 9.65million they paid Watford for Young four and a half years ago.
    The England winger has expressed a desire to play Champions League football but Bent believes Villa are not a one-man team.
    He has high hopes of England Under-21 player Marc Albrighton as Villa look to fill the gap left by Young.
    Bent said: "No-one can ever question Ashley's loyalty. He has stayed here for four or five years and has been brilliant.
    "But one player doesn't make a team.
    "If we lose Ash, then it's a big chunk of the team missing - but we've got people who can step in and do well.
    "Mark Albrighton came in this last season (as a winger) and was brilliant.
    "Hopefully next season, if gets more of a run in the team, he will improve even more."
    Villa are continuing to step up their search to bring in a new manager to replace Gerard Houllier.
    Steve McClaren remains in contention and his representatives have made contact with Villa owner Randy Lerner.
    But the likes of Wigan's Roberto Martinez, Bolton boss Owen Coyle and former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez are also on the radar.
    Former Middlesbrough manager Gareth Southgate, who played under McClaren when a player with Boro, said: "I will say Steve is as good as any of those in the frame for the job.
    "Whenever he is linked with a job, there always seems to be a negative reaction (because of his spell with England).
    "Yet, if you look at what he has done in his career you begin to think, 'Why wouldn't he be in the frame?'."

Uploads

Neil Taylor - could soon be on his way to Newcastle
    TAYLOR SET FOR MAGPIES TALKS

Newcastle can hold talks with Swansea defender Neil Taylor after tabling a 1million bid.
    The Magpies have triggered a clause in the 22-year-old Wales international's contract meaning he has permission to speak to St James' Park manager Alan Pardew.
    However, Swansea say the clause does not allow him to move clubs without their permission.
    Taylor joined the Swans from non-league Wrexham last summer and made 30 league appearances as they clinched promotion to the Barclays Premier League.
    The left-back missed the play-off final victory over Reading at Wembley, however, as he was suspended for a red card in the semi-final against Nottingham Forest.
    Meanwhile, Swans boss Brendan Rodgers has been linked with a move for 34-year-old former Spain midfielder Marcos Senna, who will be out of contract at Villarreal this summer.

Uploads

Jenkinson - on his way to the Gunners.
    ARSENAL SNAP UP JENKINSON

Arsenal have confirmed the signing of Finland Under-19 defender Carl Jenkinson from Charlton.
    The Gunners have also tied England youngsters Benik Afobe and Chuks Aneke to long-term deals, along with Dutch youth international midfielder Oguzhan Ozyakup.
    Manager Arsene Wenger is expected to add some experience to his first-team squad this summer, with Lille's Ivory Coast forward Gervinho, Bolton defender Gary Cahill and Blackburn centre-back Christopher Samba all reported targets.
    While Arsenal fans will be expecting some big-name signings over the summer, Wenger has again kept one eye on the future with the capture of Jenkinson.
    The 6ft 1inch defender, who qualifies for Finland through his mother, can play at either right-back or in central defence, an area which the Gunners were exposed last season.
    Jenkinson broke into the Addicks first team last season and leaves The Valley with glowing reference from his former boss.
    Chris Powell, the former England defender, said: "I want to put on record how much I admire Carl as player and, more importantly, as a young man.
    "If he grows into the right-back we all feel he could be, we could be talking about a player playing at the highest level for a long time."
    It is a dream move for Harlow-born Jenkinson, who supported the Gunners as youngster.
    He told Charlton's official website, www.cafc.co.uk: "I hope supporters will understand why I can't turn down such an opportunity, but Charlton will always have a special place in my heart.
    "I will always be in Charlton's debt for the training they have given me since a young age."
    Meanwhile Afobe showed good form during his loan spell at Huddersfield last season, scoring eight goals as the Terriers reached the League One play-off final, while England Under-18 internationals Aneke and Ozyakup impressed for Arsenal's second string.
    However, after another season which promised so much failing to deliver as Arsenal's quest for honours quickly fell apart following defeat in the Carling Cup final to Birmingham, Wenger is set to bring in some experience.
    Liam Brady, the Gunners' head of youth development, maintains the north-London club will soon complete on their transfer targets.
    "There will be a lot of business done this year and I think we will be spending a bit more money than we have done in past seasons. I think Arsenal will spend this year," Brady told talkSPORT.
    However, the former Republic of Ireland midfielder maintained signing talent is never easy, given the competitive market.
    "Where are the players to go around everybody? It is not only the clubs in England, but also all the big European clubs are in the transfer market," he said.

Uploads

Redknapp - eyeing the fantastic.
    REDKNAPP WANTS THREE TOP PLAYERS

Harry Redknapp has urged Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy to bring in the three top-quality players he feels he needs to mount a successful bid to bring Champions League football back to White Hart Lane.
    Spurs enjoyed the glamour of hosting the likes of Real Madrid, Inter Milan and AC Milan in the Champions League last season, but their poor league form towards the end of the domestic campaign meant they could only qualify for the Europa League.
    Redknapp has been scouring the globe for potential recruits and has highlighted an experienced leader and a free-scoring striker as his two priorities.
    Veteran goalkeeper Brad Friedel has been the only arrival at White Hart Lane so far this summer, but the club have been linked with moves for Brazil striker Leandro Damiao, West Ham's Scott Parker and Fulham frontman Moussa Dembele.
    The Spurs boss has lofty ambitions for Tottenham and hopes Levy will sanction three "fantastic" signings to help him take the club back among Europe's elite.
    "I want Daniel to go out and get three fantastic players now to come in," Redknapp told Sky Sports News.
    "You can't say that just because we didn't make the Champions League, we're not going to improve next year.
    "If you do that then we're not going to get in it again. That's a fact, because you won't pass the teams that finished above you last year.
    "If we don't improve then they will improve. Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal - they will improve, and Man City... they're unbelievable. They are never going to stop improving as will Kenny (Dalglish) with Liverpool now.
    "You have to keep improving if you want to keep anywhere near those teams. I certainly feel we need three players of real quality if we are going to compete with those teams otherwise it will be very difficult."
    At their peak last November, Redknapp was confident that Tottenham could challenge for the Barclays Premier League title, but a poor run of form towards the end of the season almost cost them the chance to play in Europe completely.
    Although he fears that his rivals will all embark on spending sprees this summer, Redknapp insists that his team can make the top four next year and even challenge for the title.
    "I don't see why it's not impossible to get into the Champions League again," the 64-year-old said.
    "I've said I want to win the championship with Tottenham. I want to win the Premier League."
    Spurs striker Peter Crouch has welcomed the signing of Friedel, who made it clear on Tuesday that he intends to dislodge Heurelho Gomes as the club's first-choice stopper.
    "He (Friedel) is up there with the top few goalkeepers in the Premier League so he will be a great addition," Crouch said.
    "I'm sure that the manager hasn't finished there. He will be wanting to strengthen our side and make sure we are right up there next year."
    Redknapp later admitted that he was finding it hard to land players who he thinks would improve his current squad and also revealed that he had made an enquiry about Blackburn defender Phil Jones, who looks set to move to Manchester United.
    "I was in for the boy Jones. We were interested in him, but he has gone to Manchester United apparently," Redknapp told talkSPORT.
    "He's an amazing talent. It looks like one day he could be an England centre-half for many years to come.
    "We're struggling at the moment to find players who are better than what we've got unless you pay massive money."
    Redknapp is also looking to offload a number of squad players who are surplus to requirements.
    The 64-year-old will consider offers for David Bentley, Robbie Keane, Niko Kranjcar, Giovani Dos Santos and could be tempted to sell other fringe players this summer.
    "There are five or six players who are available at the club who are not playing but would do a good job in my opinion for someone," he added.

Uploads

Alan Smith - former Leeds star.
    SMITH COULD MAKE LEEDS RETURN - BATES

Leeds chairman Ken Bates has not ruled the possibility of Newcastle midfielder Alan Smith returning to Elland Road.
    But Bates warned any chance of a move for Smith would hinge on the 30-year-old's fitness and wage demands after reportedly being told he can leave St James' Park.
    Bates told Yorkshire Radio: "First of all it depends on whether the manager (Simon Grayson) wants him or not, which is his decision and not mine.
    "Alan Smith returning to Elland Road would be a very popular move, but we have to be careful because unfortunately over the last few seasons Alan's had a pretty poor injury record and one thing we can't afford to do is sign somebody who is not fit to play.
    "The other thing of course is Alan Smith's wages. He's been at Manchester United and Newcastle, so his wages are probably in the stratosphere, well over the seven-figure region, so I suspect if he did join us he would have to knock a nought off it and probably half it, which may not suit him or his agent.
    "But on the other hand nothing is certain and nothing is uncertain.
    "I can confirm we're certainly continuing our quest for the right players and if he was fit of course Alan would be a great addition to the squad, but that would need further consideration and investigation by Simon."
    Smith scored on his debut for his hometown club aged 18 at Liverpool in 1998, but was sold for 7million to arch-rivals Manchester United in 2004 during Leeds' financial meltdown and suffered an horrific leg break at Anfield in 2006.
    He moved on to Newcastle for 6million in 2007, but was restricted to only 14 appearances last season due to an ankle injury.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast