Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 10-06-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 10-06-11

Latest Transfer Update at 10-06-11

Jordan Henderson - joins Liverpool from Sunderland.
    JORDAN HENDERSON JOINS LIVERPOOL

Liverpool have completed the signing of midfielder Jordan Henderson from Sunderland.
    Henderson has put pen to paper on what the Merseyside club have described as a "long-term deal", having agreed personal terms and visited the Reds' Melwood training complex before undergoing a medical.
    The highly-rated 20-year-old has moved for an undisclosed fee, with reports suggesting it could be up to 20million.
    Henderson told the club's official website: "I'm over the moon, overjoyed to be here and I'm really looking forward to it.
    "I was flattered to know Liverpool were interested in me and, once I knew, it was a massive decision for me to make but also a massive opportunity.
    "Obviously it's hard to leave your local club. I'm a Sunderland lad, I've supported them all my life.
    "But I'm really looking forward to the future now and obviously this is a massive opportunity for me. I'm really excited by it."
    Henderson is Liverpool's first signing of the summer and - following the big-money captures of Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez in January - the third high-profile new recruit since Fenway Sports Group's takeover of the club and Kenny Dalglish's return as manager last season.
    Henderson won his first senior international cap against France last November and his value has soared over the past year, despite a recent dip in form.
    The Sunderland youth academy graduate made his Black Cats debut in a 5-0 defeat to Chelsea in November 2008.
    In total he has made 79 appearances for the Wearsiders, scoring five goals, and he also spent a spell on loan at Coventry in the 2008-09 season.
    He said: "My family are all Sunderland fans as well, and it's pretty tough because I've had some great years there.
    "I've been there since I was seven and I'll definitely miss it but, like I say, I'm looking forward to playing for Liverpool now."
    Henderson admits he cannot wait to link up with midfield colleague Steven Gerrard.
    "He is one of the best players in the world, you want to be playing with him and training with him to try to improve yourself as a player," Henderson said.
    "I've trained with him once (for England) and he was unbelievable, to be honest. I'm looking forward to it, and there are other good players here who can help me as well.
    "Steven has been a massive, massive player for Liverpool for years now and he still is. Hopefully I can learn a lot from him."
    Reds director of football Damien Comolli said: "I'm very pleased because he was one of the targets we had and when you get your first target it's always a good sign because you think the others will come through as well.
    "We are very, very pleased. He has got all the skills technically that we needed. He's good with the ball, he's creative, he's got good passing, he's physically very good.
    "That's everything we wanted in a midfielder and he's versatile as well. For Kenny he will be the player we wanted.
    "On the fee, I've read and heard a lot of things. There was a lot of speculation on how much we would pay for Jordan and none of the figures I've seen are correct so far.
    "We've paid a price that we are comfortable with, otherwise we would not have done the deal."
    Jordan Henderson Factfile
    1990: Born in Sunderland, June 17.
    2008: After impressing for Sunderland at youth-team and under-18 level, Henderson makes his Premier League debut against Chelsea in November.
    2009: January - Goes on loan to Coventry, playing 13 games and scoring in 2-1 win at Norwich.
    September - Scores first goal for Sunderland in 2-0 Carling Cup defeat of Birmingham.
    December - Scores first Premier League goal in 4-3 defeat at Manchester City.
    2010: April - Signs new five-year deal with Sunderland.
    August - Makes England Under-21 debut in match against Uzbekistan at Bristol.
    October - Volleys opening goal in England Under-21s 2-1 defeat of Romania at Norwich.
    November 17 - Makes senior England debut as he starts for Fabio Capello's team in a 2-1 defeat to France, in a friendly at Wembley.
    2011: April 23 - Scores twice as Sunderland end a dismal run of results with a 4-2 victory against Wigan.
    May 23 - Selected in England's squad for European Under-21 Championship.
    June 9 - Liverpool confirmed they had signed Henderson to a long-term deal.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 10-06-11

Boateng - wants Bayern Munich move.
    BOATENG EYEING BAYERN MOVE

Manchester City defender Jerome Boateng has declared his desire to join Bayern Munich - but admits his future hinges on the two clubs agreeing a fee.
    Bayern have made no secret of their interest in Boateng, with chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge confident a deal can be struck.
    City's sporting director Mike Rigg recently described Boateng as 'unsellable' but the 22-year-old hopes they will be prepared to let him go for the right price.
    Having arrived at Eastlands in a big-money move after last summer's World Cup, he endured a frustrating first season in the Premier League.
    Boateng failed to establish himself as a regular member of Roberto Mancini's starting XI after struggling with form and fitness, and is now desperate to secure a return to his native Germany.
    "It all still depends on the price," Boateng said in Hamburg on Thursday.
    "I would like to join Munich, they are the number one in Germany and are among the top six clubs in Europe.
    "I am very confident and I hope it works out. It will become clear in the coming weeks.
    "From my side everything is clear."

Uploads

Martinez - big decision.
    MARTINEZ FACES TOUGH CHOICE

Roberto Martinez will make the toughest decision of his managerial career today when he chooses whether to leave Wigan to take the vacant manager's job at Aston Villa.
    Martinez spoke with Villa chairman Randy Lerner yesterday after the American made it clear that the Spaniard is free to fill the position left by Gerard Houllier if he wants to.
    Wigan chairman Dave Whelan was happy to grant Martinez permission to speak to the midlanders although he was confident that he would hold on to the 37-year-old, who spent six years with the Latics as a player and has been manager for the last two seasons.
    Martinez, who will be making a big step up if he takes the Villa job, will inform Whelan of his decision when the two meet this afternoon.
    "It will be resolved by (Friday) at one thirty, that is a definite because I'm meeting him and Roberto doesn't mess about, he's straight down the line, he's honest, then it will be: 'I am staying at Wigan' or 'I'm going to talk to Villa'," Whelan told talkSPORT.
    Martinez has managed to keep Wigan in the Barclays Premier League during his two seasons in charge, although the Lancashire club came agonisingly close to the drop this year, when they stayed up thanks to a final day win at Stoke.
    Whelan has stood by the man he brought to England as a player in 1995 despite the club's flirtation with relegation, and is confident that Martinez can go on to become a manager of one of Europe's biggest clubs.
    Whelan says he will not stand in Martinez's way should he decide to leave the DW stadium, but is convinced that his manager will stay.
    "My gut feeling is he will stay at Wigan, but he will move in 12 or 18 months or two years, and he will go to one of the top European clubs," Whelan added.
    "If someone comes in - a big club like Villa - and says 'we are going to double your wages', a lot of people would jump and say 'I am going to do that'.
    "Roberto is not that kind of man. He thinks long and hard. He is into football hugely and is enjoying what he is doing at Wigan.
    "He has learned so much and taught me so much. Together, we are a great partnership."
    Houllier left Villa eight days ago on health grounds after nine months in charge.
    Steve McClaren and Rafael Benitez were on the club's shortlist although both now appear to be out of the running, with Lerner keen on bringing Martinez and his brand of attacking football to the north west club.
    Whether Martinez takes the post or not, Villa look likely to be without the services of Ashley Young, whose advisers were in talks with Manchester United over a transfer to Old Trafford yesterday.

Uploads

Phil Jones - tipped to star at Manchester United.
    BIG SAM: PHIL JONES WILL STAR AT MAN UTD

Former Blackburn manager Sam Allardyce expects Phil Jones to form a golden defensive partnership with Chris Smalling at Manchester United.
    Jones, Blackburn's highly-rated 19-year-old centre-back, is poised to join the Barclays Premier League champions in a deal thought to be worth around 16million.
    The player is now on international duty with England Under-21s but is understood to have agreed terms and passed a medical at United.
    It is understood only legal formalities are left to be finalised before Jones officially follows 21-year-old Smalling, who left Fulham in a 10million deal last summer, to Old Trafford.
    The youngsters will have much to do to dislodge first-choice pair Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic but Allardyce believes their future together is bright.
    Allardyce, who is now at West Ham but handed Jones his senior debut last year, told the BBC: "Phil is obviously going to flourish now at Manchester United because he links up with Chris Smalling.
    "Again, he was bought by Manchester United from Fulham after only playing a handful of games.
    "That was around 10million and this is 15million and rising - it shows that young talent today is very expensive."
    Jones has made a big impression at Ewood Park in a short space of time, and recovered well from a three-month knee injury lay-off to finish the 2010-11 season strongly.
    Allardyce added: "I think eventually, with a little more experience, which is going to gain more quickly at Manchester United, he will ultimately become an England defender."
    Jones is not the only source of transfer speculation surrounding United, with reports increasingly suggesting the club are closing in on Aston Villa forward Ashley Young.
    It was claimed Young's representatives met with United officials yesterday but there has been no comment from either the Red Devils or Villa.
    Young, 25, has been valued at around 20million even though he has just one year remaining on his Villa contract.
    He has also been linked with Liverpool but his future may not be resolved immediately as he is getting married this weekend.

Uploads

Yohan Cabaye - joins Newcastle.
    NEWCASTLE SWOOP FOR CABAYE

Newcastle have completed a deal to sign France international Yohan Cabaye on a five-year deal.
    Cabaye had been closely linked with the Magpies since helping Lille win the French league and cup double last season.
    The highly-rated 25-year-old has also been capped by France, making his international debut against Norway in August last year.
    Cabaye flew in to Newcastle the day after helping France to a 1-0 win over Poland in Gdansk.
    That was his fourth cap of a blossoming career for Les Bleus and while he was also an integral part as Lille won Ligue 1 for the first time in over 50 years he believes a move to Newcastle is a step up in his career.
    "This is a fantastic move for me," he told Newcastle's website.
    "I have enjoyed great times with Lille but the time is right now to test myself against the best and playing for Newcastle United in the Premier League does just that.
    "My first impressions of the club and the city are that it is a lovely place and the stadium is magnificent.
    "Now that I have signed I am looking forward to meeting the rest of the team, working with (manager) Alan Pardew and his staff, but most of all playing for Newcastle United and their supporters."
    Pardew was pleased to tie the midfielder down to a long-term deal as he looks to build upon his side's 12th-placed finish on their return to the top-flight last term.
    "We are delighted to have signed Yohan on a five-year contract," the former West Ham boss said.
    "He has a first-class pedigree having proved himself at the top level in France, both for his club and the national team.
    "He will add great quality to our squad and I am really looking forward to working with him."

Uploads

Martinez - will stay at Wigan.
    ROBERTO MARTINEZ REJECTS ASTON VILLA

Roberto Martinez has rejected an approach from Aston Villa to remain as Wigan manager.
    The Spaniard has turned down the chance to succeed Gerard Houllier at Villa Park in a repayment of loyalty to the Latics.
    Martinez, who took charge at the DW Stadium two years ago, has now been offered a pay rise and a new three-year contract by Whelan.
    Whelan stood by Martinez when the club flirted with relegation from the Barclays Premier League last season - escaping the drop only on the final day - and the 37-year-old wants to repay that faith.
    Martinez said: "Over the last two years the chairman has been very supportive to me and loyal, and now I feel I need to be loyal and supportive back to him.
    "I haven't finished my job at Wigan Athletic - there is much work still to be done.
    "I don't know how long that will take but such is the belief that I have always had that I would only ever decide to move once the club is ready for a new manager."
    Whelan has already admitted that he expects Martinez to move to a bigger club in future but was always hopeful he could persuade him to stay this time.
    The pair have a good relationship dating back to when Martinez first joined Wigan as a player in 1995.
    Whelan told Sky Sports News: "Roberto is staying, that is the great news. I had a gut feeling that he wanted to stay at Wigan.
    "He is signing a new three-year contract today and obviously we have had to give him an increase in basic salary and incentives.
    "But money has not been what this has been about.
    "Villa will be disappointed but I am over the moon and I am sure every Wigan supporter will join me in saying it is fantastic and we're so pleased to have Roberto.
    "I don't think we were really close to losing him but he has to consider his future, he is in football.
    "He is going places, we all know that. Aston Villa are a bigger club and when you get a club like that wanting your services, it is something to be proud of.
    "I
    would never have blamed him if he'd gone and would have wished him the best of luck."

Uploads

Young - will reportedly sign for United after holiday.
    ASHLEY YOUNG 'AGREES MAN UTD DEAL'

Ashley Young has reportedly agreed personal terms ahead of his proposed move to Manchester United from Aston Villa.
    The talented midfielder, who has also undergone a brief medical, is now expected to complete a switch to Old Trafford when he returns from holiday.
    It emerged on Thursday that the Premier League champions had held discussions with Young's representatives over a possible switch to Old Trafford.
    The England international admitted earlier this summer that he was keen to play at the very highest level, sparking speculation that he would leave Villa Park this summer.
    United have been credited with a long-term interest in the former Watford player, while Liverpool were also understood to be monitoring the situation.
    And Sir Alex Ferguson now looks to have pipped the Reds to yet another transfer target, with Blackburn defender Phil Jones already on course to join the 19-times champions of England.

Uploads

Jordan Henderson - has joined Liverpool.
    GERRARD WELCOMES HENDERSON SIGNING

Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard believes new signing Jordan Henderson has the ability to succeed him as the team's driving force.
    The Reds completed the signing of Henderson from Sunderland on Thursday night in a deal thought to be worth around 20million.
    Gerrard has been the heartbeat of the Reds' midfield for more than a decade but the Anfield hero feels the highly-rated 20-year-old Henderson could prove his natural replacement.
    Gerrard, 31, told the club's website: "It's a really positive signing. Let's hope he is the next Steven Gerrard.
    "That's what good football clubs do - they replace their best players. Liverpool needs a new Steven Gerrard and it will need a new Jamie Carragher.
    "I saw Jordan at first hand for two or three days with England and he is a good player with energy."
    Henderson, who won an England cap against France last November, will increase competition for central midfield places in a squad that already includes Lucas, Jay Spearing, Raul Meireles and Christian Poulsen, as well as Gerrard.
    Gerrard missed the end of last season after undergoing groin surgery but has every intention of fighting back to full fitness for the start of the next campaign.
    He said: "I have confidence in what I can do. I am going to be in the best condition physically going into this season that I have been for the last 10 years.
    "I am working doubly hard on my body, on my core and on strengthening my groin, which I have suffered with.
    "The operation went well and I have nearly double the strength in the groin now than before. The physios at Liverpool are measuring that on a weekly basis and the results show that.
    "I know I will be rusty in friendlies but I have confidence that I am going to be the freshest I have been, both mentally and physically, for a long, long time."
    Gerrard, who has taken up yoga to build up his strength, has not played since the Reds' memorable Barclays Premier League win over eventual champions Manchester United on March 6.
    Without him his team-mates finished the season strongly and almost snatched a Europa League spot until losing their final two games to Tottenham and Aston Villa.
    "I've not kicked a ball for a long time, probably the longest I have gone in my career, and I can't wait to get back now," Gerrard added.
    "I am excited about playing under Kenny Dalglish, just like the team did at the end of the season, which was going forward.
    "We were playing with bottle and character and going all out to beat teams. And that always suits my style of playing."

Uploads

Sergio Aguero - linked with Real Madrid move.
    AGUERO WON'T RULE OUT REAL MADRID

Atletico Madrid star Sergio Aguero has failed to rule out the possibility of a switch to city rivals Real Madrid.
    The gifted Argentina international is thought to be on the radar of several top European sides.
    But it is Spanish giants Real Madrid who have been most strongly linked with a swoop for his services.
    Aguero has stated that no decision over his future will be made until after the Copa America, but has welcomed past praise from Real boss Jose Mourinho.
    "Everyone knows where my career will continue," he told TyC Sports. "It makes me happy that a coach like Mourinho speaks well of me, him just as much as other coaches.
    "(My future) will be decided when the Copa America finishes. I don't know what will happen.
    "Right now I'm busy with the Copa, then we'll see what happens with my future. It's a pleasure to be back with the national team, we are all very excited and want to make the (Argentina) fans happy."

Uploads

Silvestre - linked with Liverpool.
    LIVERPOOL LINKED TO SILVESTRE

Catania have claimed that Liverpool are interested in their Argentine defender Matias Silvestre.
    The 26-year-old has been playing for the Serie A club for the past three-and-a-half seasons, having arrived in Italy from Boca Juniors in January 2008.
    His performances over the past 12 months have been particularly impressive and Catania general manager Pietro Lo Monaco admitted in April it was probably time for him to move on to a bigger stage.
    Lo Monaco has now declared that Liverpool are among the clubs chasing Silvestre's signature, along with Villarreal and a couple of Italian rivals.
    "Top of the list of those moving on is Silvestre," Lo Monaco told Itasportpress.
    "I'd struggle to keep him here, considering what a great player he is. There are two Italian clubs tracking him, but Liverpool and Villarreal are also interested in Silvestre.
    "Silvestre is worth as much as Thiago Silva and scores more goals."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast