Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 13-06-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 13-06-11

Latest Transfer Update at 13-06-11

Wenger - no intention to sell duo.
    WENGER: STAR DUO WILL STAY

Arsene Wenger has declared his intention to keep Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas at Arsenal as speculation continues over the future of the pair.
    Nasri has just one year remaining on his current contract and is understood to have attracted the interest of several clubs, including Premier League rivals Manchester United.
    However, Wenger has warned any potential suitors that they will find it difficult to secure the Frenchman's services this summer.
    The Gunners manager believes the Emirates Stadium is the best place for the 23-year-old to continue his progression, having developed into a world-class performer since joining from Marseille in 2008.
    "We will do everything to keep Nasri at the club. My wish is that he stays here," Wenger said in The Sun.
    "If he looks back he can see that he's come quite a long way with us, and I think there is still a bit to do.
    "It's the club that makes the player's career."
    Arsenal captain Fabregas was heavily linked with a move back to boyhood club Barcelona 12 months ago and reports have resurfaced in recent weeks.
    The Spanish media has indicated that a deal between the clubs could be imminent, but Wenger maintains that Fabregas will not be going anywhere.
    And he feels that if Arsenal can hold on to their star men this summer, it will become much easier in future.
    He said: "I will be pretty clear about this. For me, Fabregas is with Arsenal for a long time and he will stay with Arsenal.
    "It sometimes happens that the rumour can make the transfer.
    "Next year will see the introduction of the financial fair play system, which will limit the big transfers.
    "I think this is the last year that the summer will be hot - very hot."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 13-06-11

Ozil - happy at Real Madrid.
    OZIL HAPPY IN MADRID

Mesut Ozil insists he has no plans to leave Real Madrid after being linked again with a move to Manchester United.
    The Real Madrid star shunned a move to England last summer after he impressed hugely at the World Cup finals.
    But with Madrid busy bolstering their squad this summer, Ozil had been linked with a possible departure from the Santiago Bernaebu.
    United were reported to maintain an interest in the brilliant 22-year-old midfielder and Spanish reports claimed they had made contact with his agent to find if he was looking to leave.
    But his agent Reza Fazeli is quoted by Marca as saying: "Özil is very happy at Real Madrid.."
    The German international emphasised this by adding: "I do not move from Madrid."
    United are in the market for a midfield playmaker following Paul Scholes' retirement and, along with Ozil, have been linked with the likes of Luka Modric, Samir Nasri and Wesley Sneijder.

Uploads

McLeish - eyeing pastures new.
    PANNU ANGRY OVER McLEISH RESIGNATION

Birmingham acting chairman Peter Pannu has criticised Alex McLeish for walking away from the club and vowed the Scot will not be allowed to move on without a fight.
    McLeish quit as manager in an email sent on Sunday to Pannu, who was negotiating the signing of Danny Koevermans from PSV Eindhoven.
    After agreeing deals for Marlon King, Chris Burke and Morgaro Gomis, Pannu was expecting McLeish to stay on at St Andrew's for Birmingham's first season back in the npower Championship following their relegation.
    McLeish was instantly linked with a move across Birmingham to join Aston Villa as their new manager, a move unlikely to go down well with many supporters of both clubs.
    Pannu was irked to see the former Scotland and Rangers boss depart, after he and owner Carson Yeung pledged their support in the wake of the drop from the Barclays Premier League.
    Pannu said in the Daily Express: "I have just bought him [McLeish] three players of his choice.
    "Having secured him the fourth one, Koevermans, I get an email on Sunday. It speaks volumes.
    "We spent £40million, supported McLeish all the way, and what we get is a relegation and a snub when Carson gave him unwavering support."
    McLeish had two years left on his Birmingham contract, and the club are expected to seek compensation for his departure should it be confirmed he has a job elsewhere lined up.
    Pannu said: "He is still our contracted staff and Birmingham City FC does not grant him any right to speak to any outsiders until the matter is resolved. I'll be meeting my legal team tomorrow. It's about time discipline is instilled into this game and I am not a person who gets pushed about."
    McLeish led Birmingham to Carling Cup final glory last season but their form in the Premier League dipped following their Wembley success, culminating in relegation after defeat at Tottenham on a dramatic final day of the campaign.

Uploads

McClaren - in talks with Midlands club.
    FOREST TALKING TO STEVE McCLAREN

Nottingham Forest appear to have plans for Steve McClaren after admitting their interest in the former England coach on Sunday.
    McClaren has been working overseas since his spell in charge of the national team ended in failure and ridicule.
    He looks set to return though, with Forest confirming they have opened talks with 50-year-old McClaren after sacking Davies, who had a year remaining on a three-and-a-half-year contract.
    Forest released a statement on their official website which read: "Nottingham Forest have announced this afternoon that they have terminated the contract of manager Billy Davies with immediate effect.
    "They have also revealed that they are now talking to Steve McClaren about The City Ground vacancy.
    "The club will be making no further comment at this stage."
    Croatia's 3-2 victory on a wet night at Wembley on November 21, 2007 scuppered England's hopes of qualifying for Euro 2008, and McClaren was sacked by the Football Association the following day.
    He had been dubbed 'the wally with the brolly' after watching on from the sidelines with an FA umbrella as his England team suffered their costly defeat, and headed abroad for his next job.
    McClaren was a huge success with FC Twente in Holland, guiding them to a second-placed finish in the Dutch Eredivisie in 2009 before leading the team to the title the following year.
    He departed to join German side Wolfsburg in May 2010 but struggled in the Bundesliga and was sacked in February of this year.
    Former Preston and Derby boss Davies saw his Forest side slide to a 3-1 aggregate defeat to Swansea in the semi-finals of the npower Championship play-offs last month, having also lost to Blackpool at the same stage 12 months previously.
    McClaren was recently linked with the vacancy created at Aston Villa by Gerard Houllier's departure, and was also tipped to be appointed at West Ham before Sam Allardyce was handed that job.

Uploads

Tyson - inked three-year deal at Derby.
    RAMS WIN TYSON RACE

Derby County have announced the signing of Nathan Tyson on a three-year deal.
    The forward has been seeking a new side after rejecting an offer of a contract extension at Nottingham Forest.
    And Derby have won the race to land Tyson, who was also reportedly attracting interest from the likes of Ipswich and Millwall.
    "This is a very impressive football club and I couldn't be more excited about joining," Tyson told the club's official website.
    "It's the most important move of my career and I feel this is the opportunity I need to show people what I'm all about and what I can do.
    "I had plenty of options, including staying where I was, but Derby County is a club with big ambitions and I want to be part of it.
    "I'm ambitious myself and want to play at the highest level; I think we can achieve that here."
    Rams manager Nigel Clough commented: "Nathan is a player of proven quality at this level and is someone who is right at the very top of our wanted list.
    "His pace is electrifying and scares defenders to death.
    "We see Nathan playing more as a centre-forward; his goal scoring record at Wycombe was very impressive and we'd like to see him repeat that here."

Uploads

Hill - left Dale for Barnsley earlier this month.
    EYRE NAMED NEW ROCHDALE BOSS

Rochdale have appointed Steve Eyre as their new manager.
    The former Manchester City youth team coach will replace Keith Hill, who took over at Barnsley earlier this month.
    Eyre has built up a strong reputation for developing young talent during his time at City, during which time they have won five league titles and made two FA Youth Cup Final appearances.
    He will be officially unveiled at a press conference on Tuesday.
    Predecessor Hill will be a tough act to follow after guiding the club to their first promotion since 1969 in 2009/10, when he led them to League One.
    Dale enjoyed a successful return to the third tier last season, finishing ninth with 68 points - equalling their highest ever league finish from 1969/70.

Uploads

Nani - disappointed not to start at Wembley.
    NANI: I'D LIKE TO BE COACHED BY JOSE

Manchester United winger Nani has admitted he would like to be coached by Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho.
    The Portuguese coach has been linked with a move for his compatriot after an impressive season with United.
    And although Nani claims he is happy with the Premier League champions, the Portugal international is flattered to be linked with the Spanish giants.
    "I am fine at Manchester United but it is good to hear there are other clubs interested," he said at a youth tournament in Seixal.
    "Would I like to work under Mourinho? Yes, but at this moment I am fine at Manchester United."
    Nani insists it has been his best campaign since joining United from Sporting Lisbon in 2007.
    Yet despite playing a major role in his third title success with the Red Devils, the 24-year-old could not hide his frustration at being left out of the starting line-up for the Champions League final defeat by Barcelona last month.
    "It was a very positive season for Manchester United, and my best individual campaign," he added.
    "I was left with a bitter taste in my mouth after not being a starter in the Champions League final.
    "I was hoping to play from the start, but it is up to the coach to decide."

Uploads

Phil Jones - Man United move.
    PHIL JONES MAKES 'DREAM' UNITED MOVE

Blackburn have stepped aside to allow Phil Jones to "follow his dream" of joining Manchester United.
    Although Rovers have claimed Jones' switch to Old Trafford could eventually break their transfer record, United have not gone beyond the initial £16.5million offer that triggered a buy-out clause in the teenager's contract last week.
    Even as Blackburn owners Venky's were refusing to sanction the deal when it was first put together last Wednesday and were fielding renewed interest from Liverpool over the weekend, Sir Alex Ferguson was secure in the knowledge Jones was not interested in going anywhere else.
    So, once Jones' contribution to England's draw with Spain in their opening European Under-21 Championship group game was out of the way last night, further contact with Blackburn was made to assure the club any attempt at prolonging the transfer was futile.
    Jones will formally sign a five-year contract once he returns from Denmark.
    "Much as we would love him to stay on with us - and we made all efforts to convince him to stay - Phil has to finally follow his heart," said a statement on behalf of the Rovers' owners, directors and manager, released on the club website.
    Blackburn boss Steve Kean confirmed those efforts included offering to make Jones the highest-paid player in the club's history.
    "The offer we made he was staggering for a 19-year-old, but it wasn't the money," Kean told Sky Sports News. "Phil wants to play Champions League football now and we're not at that level.
    "I'm sure we will be in the coming years, and we gave it a real good try and made him a fantastic offer, but I understand why he wants to go now. He goes with our blessing and it's an opportunity for us to invest in other young players across other areas of the pitch.
    "We were hoping he was going to be captain of our club and captain of England, he's a fantastic prospect and I'm sure he'll be an England regular very soon."
    It represents a smart piece of business for Ferguson, who knew the 19-year-old was also coveted by Arsenal, and secures another important piece in a developing United team that now contains four of England's starting line-up last night.
    In addition, the Old Trafford chief is hoping to complete the signing of Spain goalkeeper David De Gea, who produced an excellent performance in Herning.
    However, Ferguson is not focusing purely on youth as he looks to rebuild in the wake of his club's chastening Champions League final defeat to Barcelona last month.
    It is widely assumed Ashley Young's much-discussed switch from Aston Villa will be completed once the Midlands outfit have sorted out their managerial situation.
    Ferguson is also trying to secure a replacement for recently retired playmaker Paul Scholes, although apparently it will not be Mesut Ozil, the Germany star whom United were interested in before he left Werder Bremen for Real Madrid last August.
    "We thank Manchester United for their interest but Ozil is fine in Madrid and has no intention of leaving," said the midfielder's agent Reza Fazeli.
    With Wesley Sneijder giving out mixed messages over a potential departure from Inter Milan and Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp repeatedly stating he has no interest in offloading Luka Modric, finding someone to step into Scholes' shoes is not going to be easy.
    "That is up to the manager," laughed Scholes.
    "You only have to look at the youth team and what they have done this year to see there is a lot of talent at this club. There are some great players.
    "But the ones we have been linked with are great as well."
    Although he will be part of Ferguson's coaching team at the start of pre-season, with his precise role yet to be determined, Scholes will have no input in the discussions over his replacement.
    Instead, he will be like any other fan, sitting back and waiting to find out which star name will eventually arrive, knowing his first appearance on English soil could well come in Scholes' testimonial game against New York Cosmos on August 5.
    "It is a great time of year," said the 36-year-old.
    "Even when I was a player you see all these top players around the world that you're linked with, and you are excited about maybe playing with them.
    "Now I am just like my son, hoping we buy the best players in the world and that they make us even stronger for next year."
    Meanwhile, one of Ferguson's more bizarre recent captures, Bebe, is in talks with Turkish club Besiktas about a loan move.
    Ferguson broke the habit of a lifetime buy snapping Bebe up despite never actually seeing him play.
    The transfer has not really worked out, with the 20-year-old making only seven appearances, scoring two goals.
    PHIL JONES FACTFILE
    1992: Born on February 21 in Preston.
    2003: Signed youth terms with Blackburn aged 11.
    2009: September 22 - Makes his Rovers debut in 1-0 League Cup win over Nottingham Forest.
    November 17 - Appears for England Under-17s for the first time in a 3-1 win over Turkey.
    2010: March 21 - Makes his Premier League debut in 1-1 draw with Chelsea at Ewood Park. Goes on to make nine league appearances before the end of the season.
    May 5 - Signs new five-year contract with Rovers.
    August 10 - Makes England Under-21 debut, playing the first half of a 2-0 win over Uzbekistan.
    December 18 - Suffers a knee injury just 10 minutes after coming on for Christopher Samba against West Ham, which saw Jones himself replaced by Grant Hanley and forced him to undergo a cartilage operation, keeping him sidelined for three months.
    2011: February 15 - Signs a one-year extension to his contract.
    March 19 - Returns as a substitute against Blackpool and starts seven of Blackburn's subsequent eight league games to the end of the season.
    June 13 - Manchester United confirm they have reached agreement with Blackburn over the signing of Jones on a five-year contract.

Uploads

Enrique - offered 'fantastic' deal at St James' Park.
    MAGPIES HIT IMPASSE IN ENRIQUE DEAL

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has admitted the club is struggling to persuade Jose Enrique to sign a new deal.
    The Magpies signalled their intention to make the 25-year-old Spaniard a "fantastic" contract offer to keep him at St James' Park with his existing terms due to expire at the end of next season.
    Enrique has been repeatedly linked with a move away from Tyneside this summer with Liverpool and Bayern Munich among those clubs understood to be monitoring his situation.
    Pardew has revealed there has been little contact with the player or his camp since the end of last season as Newcastle prepare to implement their plans for the new campaign.
    He told the Evening Chronicle: "At the moment, it looks like he doesn't want to deal with us.
    "We have been asked to make him an offer, but there has been no progress since then. I still hope we can do something but at the moment, we are still waiting for Jose.
    "I don't think there's anything more I can really add on that situation at this stage."
    Pardew made the retention of Enrique and key midfielders Kevin Nolan and Joey Barton his first priority in the wake of the club's successful bid to secure its Barclays Premier League status.
    However, his plans look to be in tatters with the wall of silence surrounding Enrique, skipper Nolan having rejected the offer currently on the table and Barton having been told he will not be handed a new deal.
    Enrique and Barton each have 12 months remaining on their current contracts, while Nolan has two years, although uncertainty now surrounds all three.
    The Magpies have rejected a "derisory" offer from West Ham for Nolan - understood to amount to just £1.5million for a player who scored 12 Premier League goals last season - and although Barton has vowed to see out his contract at St James', there is also interest in him.
    Pardew last week snapped up Lille midfielder Yohan Cabaye and is hopeful of completing a swoop for Swansea left-back Neil Taylor, although he is not seen as a direct replacement for Enrique should he move on.
    But efforts are continuing elsewhere to boost the squad with a replacement for striker Andy Carroll a priority.
    Newcastle have held an interest in West Ham's Demba Ba for some time and having missed out on Lorient frontman Kevin Gameiro when he opted to sign instead for Paris St Germain, are considering their options on that front.
    Pardew said: "Things are definitely moving on now and we expect to be busier between now and the start of the season.
    "We are working very hard on one or two players and we hope to announce something soon.
    "We should be able to announce a second signing, I would think, in the next 10 days."

Uploads

McLeish - eyeing pastures new. VILLA SEEK McLEISH CLARIFICATION

Aston Villa have approached city rivals Birmingham to ask about the legal situation regarding Alex McLeish after the Scot quit his job as manager.
    The Blues' acting chairman, Peter Pannu, spent the day talking to lawyers and the club are going to demand £5million in compensation.
    The contact from Villa was not an official approach, but it can be disclosed that an email was sent to Birmingham seeking clarification about McLeish's status.
    McLeish announced his resignation via an email on Sunday and the Scot was immediately linked with a move to the vacant manager's post at Villa Park.
    Peter Pannu has spent the day speaking to lawyers about McLeish's shock move, while former Villa boss Graham Taylor has questioned his old club's approach to finding a new manager.
    Pannu said: "He is still our contracted staff and Birmingham City FC does not grant him any right to speak to any outsiders until the matter is resolved. It's about time discipline is instilled into this game and I am not a person who gets pushed about."
    Meanwhile Taylor, twice manager of Villa in the past, criticised his former club for the way they have gone about seeking a replacement for Gerard Houllier, who stepped down due to illness.
    Taylor told BBC Sport: "It just doesn't appear to have been thought through and for the first time the ownership of the club is coming under severe criticism.
    "When Gerard became ill it must have occurred to them that he may not come back, even if the signs were that he may have returned.
    "This is not being disrespectful to Gerard in any way, but once he became unwell then you have to immediately start exploring what you might do if he does not come back.
    "It doesn't appear to me and many others that this has been done. They seem to be going from name to name.
    "Villa don't seem to have grasped that nettle at all. It is disappointing. I still live in the area and have a special feeling for them as you always do about clubs you have managed, but I have been surprised and disappointed at their handling of this."
    Taylor also believes McLeish is tough enough to deal with potential opposition from Villa fans and anger from Blues supporters.
    He added: "I think Alex has the strength of character but it won't be easy for him. He has a hardness about him.
    "It would be difficult though, because many Villa fans would not want a Birmingham man as their manager and many Birmingham supporters might see him as a traitor. He is a strong man though, and I think he could cope with that."
    Within 24 hours of McLeish's announcement, nearly 6,000 people signed up to a Facebook page entitled 'Aston Villa Supporters - We don't want Alex McLeish'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast