Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 14-06-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 14-06-11

Latest Transfer Update at 14-06-11

Ronaldo - rules out joining Man City.
    RONALDO RULES OUT MAN CITY SWITCH

Real Madrid superstar Cristiano Ronaldo has ruled out leaving the Spanish giants after being linked with Manchester City.
    The former Manchester United ace has excelled in Spain having plundered a whopping 87 goals from 89 games in two years.
    Weekend reports hinted City would offer Ronaldo an astronomic wage to move to Eastlands, although the Portugal international insists that money is not everything.
    The 26-year-old accepts he would perhaps earn more money away from the Santiago Bernabeu, however, he is happy at the club and wants to stay.
    Ronaldo still has four years left on his Madrid deal, but would sign a contract for life if possible.
    "I am not thinking about leaving Real Madrid," he told Marca. "I'm very happy here. I'm great.
    "I could perhaps double what I have in my bank account elsewhere, but for me happiness is the most important thing.
    "If I could say to the president today I'd sign for ten years then I would. Why not sign for life?
    "I am not going to City. I give you my word. I want to fulfil my contract."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 14-06-11

Sanchez - in-demand.
    MAN CITY FAVOURITES TO SIGN SANCHEZ

Udinese have confirmed that Manchester City are favourites to land Alexis Sanchez, should they actually sell the Chilean this summer.
    City have been jostling to land the brilliant 22-year-old along with Barcelona, Inter Milan and Juventus.
    Real Madrid and Manchester United are also credited with an interest - but it does appear to be a four-way chase for the Udinese forward.
    Udinese, though, insist they will only let Sanchez leave on their terms which means a bid of €45million (39.5m) as they are already believed to have snubbed approaches of over €30million (26.3m).
    Club president Giampaolo Pozzo has admitted that City's financial power has seen them become favourites after they made a fresh push for his signature of the weekend.
    "I think it is 50-50 he will stay, if Sanchez were to leave I would give City the highest percentage to sign him because English football is rich and it knows how to value young talent," Pozzo is quoted as saying.
    "Inter, Juventus, Barca and City are all after Sanchez but no concrete offers reflecting the value of the player have arrived.
    'I've already spoken with Alexis and his agent and I think they will understand I can't give him away."
    Reports suggest that City's hierarchy including football administrator Brian Marwood is leading a delegation to Italy to try and tie up a deal.

Uploads

Alex McLeish - quit Birmingham on Sunday.
    BIRMINGHAM TO DEMAND McLEISH MONEY

Birmingham will demand more than 5million in compensation from Aston Villa if they try to appoint Alex McLeish as their next manager.
    And Blues even plan to seek an injunction against their bitter rivals to prevent them from hiring the former Scotland boss.
    Villa have approached their city rivals to discuss the legal situation regarding McLeish after the Scot quit his job as manager on Sunday. The contact from Villa was not an official approach, but it can be disclosed that an email was sent to Birmingham seeking clarification about McLeish's status.
    Blues' acting chairman, Peter Pannu, spent Monday talking to lawyers about their strategy and there has been a suggestion that they will try to place McLeish on gardening leave. He still had two and a half years left on his contract when he sent an email to Pannu on Sunday announcing his resignation.
    But it is understood that McLeish - currently on holiday in Corsica - is pursuing a case for constructive dismissal against Birmingham.
    Pannu said: "I got an email from Aston Villa, finally replying to all of our queries.
    "As expected, their legal department said 'now Alex McLeish is a free agent having resigned, we're free to speak to him'. This confirms all suspicions. This shows what has happened.
    "Within the first year he (McLeish), or the club who sign him, have to compensate us at 5.4m.
    "The first year expires on June 30. The second year starts July 1, when the compensation fee is 3m.
    "The urgency of the whole thing, with this email from Aston Villa, shows they can't even wait 17 days when the compensation is lower. It shows what this is all about.
    "Because of this, what option is left to Alex McLeish and his advisers? To make allegations against Carson Yeung, against the board, for interference or whatever excuse to show constructive dismissal.
    "I'll be seeking an injunction preventing Villa from hiring him.
    "I'll be reporting what's happened to the Premier League. This is like conspiracy to defraud.
    "It's borderline criminal. That's how strong I'll put it."
    Villa would make no official comment.
    Meanwhile, former Villa boss Graham Taylor believes McLeish is tough enough to deal with potential opposition from Villa fans and anger from Blues supporters.
    He said: "I think Alex has the strength of character but it won't be easy for him. He has a hardness about him.
    "It would be difficult though, because many Villa fans would not want a Birmingham man as their manager and many Birmingham supporters might see him as a traitor. He is a strong man though, and I think he could cope with that."
    Within 24 hours of McLeish's announcement, nearly 6,000 people signed up to a Facebook page entitled 'Aston Villa Supporters - We don't want Alex McLeish'.

Uploads

Gazidis - busy summer ahead.
    ARSENAL FANS PROMISED BUSY SUMMER

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis has told his club's fans he shares a "profound disappointment" with them but has promised a busy summer in the transfer market as the club look to end their six-year trophy drought.
    What had once looked to be a quadruple bid imploded once the Gunners lost the Carling Cup final to Birmingham, and they ended the Premier League season in fourth place.
    Another season without success saw some fans voice their unhappiness with manager Arsene Wenger, especially over his apparent reluctance to spend big on new signings.
    But at a question and answer session with the Arsenal Supporters Trust Gazidis has pledged to start putting things right.
    "Coming off the end of the season, I share with you a sense of profound disappointment," he said.
    "We had a season that promised a great deal and looked like it could turn into a very special one but in the end a familiar story began to tell itself. I understand the feelings that we all felt.
    "It is very clear we had some shortcomings and in this close season we are going to see some turnover of players.
    "Some new signings will be coming in and some of our existing squad will be going out. As Arsene has said, it will be a busy close season for the club.
    "But also it is important to recognise that it has not been a disaster. We have a young squad and we don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. The trick will be identify which parts to keep and which parts to turn over. And we will do that within our financial capabilities."
    Those capabilities could be boosted by the club's majority shareholder Stan Kroenke.
    The American now owns 66.64% of the club and Gazidis says he "understands" what Arsenal stand for.
    He added: "With respect to Stan, we have someone who understands the club.
    "He has grown to love Arsenal but he will remain in the background. This is not somebody who steps forward and looks for a public profile."
    Kroenke is bidding to take complete control of the club, and some supporters have expressed concerns that he could do so by putting the club into debt.
    Gazidis does not think that will happen, though, and said: "The confirmations that Mr Kroenke gave in relation to his offer were, one, that he supports the self-sustainable business model of the club, and secondly that the offer would not be funded by debt against the club or dependent on Arsenal's business.
    "Those were two significant commitments and confirmations that he made."

Uploads

McClaren - money to spend.
    McCLAREN CAN ENHANCE FOREST SQUAD

Nottingham Forest's new manager Steve McClaren will place a new left-back at the top of his summer shopping list, according to the club's chief executive Mark Arthur.
    Former England manager McClaren, 50, signed a three-year contract on Monday and will attempt to end the club's 13-year exile from the Barclays Premier League.
    Forest's former boss Billy Davies, sacked on Sunday following two successive npower Championship play-off semi-final defeats, often cited lack of funding as the main reason why the east Midlanders have become the 'nearly men' in recent seasons, but Arthur insisted funding had always been available.
    Arthur said: "Money has been available in the past. (Chairman) Nigel Doughty has put 25million into the club in the last two seasons, so I think it's a bit of a fallacy to suggest that no money has been made available.
    "Steve will have similar funds available to him if he can identify a player of the quality who will enhance the quality of the current squad.
    "We have a very good squad, but he will be looking to improve it in certain positions. I think we all know that the first position we must try and sort out is left-back."
    McClaren, sacked in disgrace by England in 2008 and recently linked with the vacancy at Aston Villa, returns to club management in this country after reviving his career in Holland and then spending an ill-fated spell in Germany with Bundesliga side Wolfsburg.
    Forest, relegated from the top flight in 1999, have been unable to claw their way back and languished for three seasons in League One from 2005 to 2008, but Arthur pointed to McClaren's track record in club management as the reason for his appointment.
    Arthur said: "Steve has a proven track record of coaching and managing at club level, having played a key role in helping Manchester United secure the Champions League trophy [in 1999], three Premier League titles and an FA Cup; guided Middlesbrough to the League Cup and also to the final of the UEFA Cup and led FC Twente to their first ever Dutch title."
    Yorkshire-born McClaren, who spent the majority of his playing career at Hull and then Derby, earned his reputation as an up-and-coming coach after replacing Brian Kidd as Sir Alex Ferguson's assistant at Old Trafford in 1999.
    United won the Treble later that year and also won the title in 2000 and 2001, while McClaren was appointed as an England coach by caretaker manager Peter Taylor in October 2000.
    McClaren accepted the manager's job at Middlesbrough in 2001 and steered them into the UEFA Cup in consecutive seasons and was then installed as Sven Goran-Eriksson's successor as England coach in 2006.
    It was while in charge of England that McClaren came under pressure in the national media and his role will be best remembered for the country's failure to qualify for the European Championships in 2008.
    It was the first time in 14 years that England had not qualified for a major tournament and McClaren was sacked the following day after an emergency FA board meeting.
    McClaren emerged as manager of Dutch side FC Twente in May 2010 and steered them to the Dutch Eredivisie title for the first time in the club's history in his first full season in charge.
    He was named Dutch manager of the season, but left Twente in May 2010 to take charge of German side Wolfsburg, where he was sacked nine months later due to poor results.

Uploads

Di Matteo - contender for Blues job.
    SIX IN FRAME FOR BIRMINGHAM JOB

Birmingham have identified six targets as they step up their bid to replace Alex McLeish as manager.
    Gianfranco Zola, Roberto Di Matteo and Chris Hughton are among the leading candidates under consideration by owner Carson Yeung and acting chairman Peter Pannu after McLeish resigned on Sunday.
    But reports that Birmingham have already asked permission to speak to Portsmouth boss Steve Cotterill are wide of the mark.
    Birmingham are eager to make an appointment as quickly as possible as they have to prepare for a Europa League campaign in addition to trying to gain promotion from the npower Championship.
    Pannu said: "I am discussing the situation with Carson and we hope to install the new man as soon as possible.
    "There are at least six (candidates) on the radar."
    Former Newcastle boss Hughton is the number one choice of Birmingham fans in a poll conducted by the Birmingham Mail newspaper.
    But Di Matteo and Zola are also free agents after their previous spells as manager of West Brom and West Ham respectively.
    Meanwhile, Birmingham are set to complete the signing of Morgaro Gomis from Dundee United on a free transfer despite McLeish's departure.
    Pannu said: "Gomis is still coming in to Birmingham."

Uploads

Gervinho - wants to move to England.
    LILLE AND ARSENAL PLAN GERVINHO TALKS

Lille general manager Frederic Paquet has confirmed striker Gervinho wants to move to England this summer and talks with Arsenal are planned.
    Ivory Coast international Gervinho played a key role as Lille won the Ligue 1 and Coupe de France double last season, contributing 15 goals and 10 assists in the league alone.
    Free-spending Paris St Germain have also asked about the 24-year-old but his current club are not keen on selling to a domestic rival.
    Paquet told RMC: "He wants to go and has developed contacts with Arsenal.
    "We will soon have talks with them and see what they offer.
    "He has expressed a desire to go to England and we will see what happens."
    The link with PSG was a non-starter insists Paquet, who added: "Paris St Germain inquired but we are not thinking about strengthening a competitor."
    Although Lille will entertain the idea of selling Gervinho, their stance is different on Eden Hazard. Paquet has described the 20-year-old Belgian as "untransferable".
    Lille earlier announced the capture of 21-year-old striker Ronny Rodelin from Ligue 2 Nantes.

Uploads

Adam - preliminary discussions over transfer.
    BLACKPOOL - NO ADAM OFFERS

Blackpool chairman Karl Oyston has confirmed that "preliminary discussions" have taken place with Liverpool over Charlie Adam but insists it is too early to speculate on the level of interest in the midfielder.
    The Scotland international is widely expected to leave Bloomfield Road this summer after the Seasiders' relegation from the Premier League, having excelled in the top flight last season and requested a transfer in January.
    A number of clubs tried to sign Adam during the winter and Liverpool are now thought to have resumed their pursuit of the 25-year-old, with talks expected to take place later this week.
    Oyston admits there has been contact regarding a possible move but has made it clear that no offers have yet been received.
    He told the Blackpool Gazette: "We've had a few discussions this summer but nothing conclusive so really there is nothing to report.
    "Are the reports wide of the mark? I'm sure that football clubs have talks with lots of players all summer that they probably shouldn't do.
    "I'm sure that goes on. If January is anything to go by that is certainly the case.
    "It is always difficult (when speculation starts)."
    Asked to confirm Liverpool had made contact, he replied: "We've had a few very preliminary discussions and enquiries but nothing of any substance so there really is nothing to report at this stage about interest from anyone."

Uploads

Boateng - keen to cement Bayern transfer.
    BOATENG AGREES TO JOIN BAYERN

Manchester City defender Jerome Boateng says he has agreed a four-year contract with Bayern Munich and has urged the two clubs to reach a deal.
    The 22-year-old only joined City from Hamburg last summer but failed to secure a regular first-team place at Eastlands and made most of his appearances out of position at full-back.
    With next year's European Championship on the horizon Boateng is keen to play more regularly at centre back to secure his place in the German national team and so jumped at the chance to move back to the Bundesliga.
    However, the move depends on City agreeing a deal with Bayern, something Boateng is desperate for them to do.
    "It is true that I have agreed with Bayern on a four-year deal. Now it is up to Manchester to make it work. At the moment they are making things a bit difficult," Boateng told Kicker Magazine.
    "It is about the position. Bayern want me as a central defender. That is also an advantage for the national team.
    "My dream is to have a starting spot within a year, hopefully at Bayern, and then I want to win the European Championship."
    Bayern Munich captain Phillip Lahm has welcomed the proposed deal and confirmed it is now up to City to ensure the move goes ahead.
    "Things are not up to Jerome or Bayern Munich, Manchester City will have to agree in the end. At this point in time I do not know what might happen," he told Bild.
    "I am unable to make a prediction on this, we simply have to wait and see."

Uploads

Guus Hiddink - favourite for Chelsea job.
    MANAGER SEARCH 'GOING WELL' - CHELSEA

Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay is hopeful the club's search for a new manager is coming to an end but refused to be drawn on whether Guus Hiddink will return to Stamford Bridge.
    Following Carlo Ancelotti's dismissal at the end of last season, Turkey coach Hiddink has been heavily linked with a role he occupied on a caretaker basis in 2009.
    The 64-year-old Dutchman led Chelsea to FA Cup success and the semi-finals of the Champions League during his brief tenure two years ago and remains close to owner Roman Abramovich.
    Gourlay gave little away regarding any potential appointment but feels an announcement could be made within the next fortnight as the club look to fill the post before they leave for next month's pre-season tour of Asia.
    "It's a big season for us coming up. Things didn't go as well as we hoped last season and plans are very much in place for next season to be back winning trophies," said Gourlay, in Hong Kong to help promote Chelsea's "Here to Play, Here to Stay" initiative that aims to develop grassroots football in the region.
    "As far as the manager is concerned, the process is going well but now is not the time for me to comment on who the next manager is going to be. We will announce things in the usual way but hopefully in the next week or two, we'll be in a position to announce who our new coach will be.
    "I don't think it's right to comment at this stage. I don't want to create any speculation, we'll make an announcement when we're ready and we'll see the new coach when we arrive next month."
    With Chelsea ending last term empty-handed, it is anticipated the new incumbent will have substantial funds at his disposal to freshen up an ageing squad.
    Gourlay, though, believes there is unlikely to be a mass influx of new faces.
    "As far as players are concerned, the basis of the team will be the same for next season," he added.
    "There may be an introduction of two or three players. We've identified key players that we'd like to bring to the team, players who can strengthen the team but of course we'll probably have to wait until the new coach is in place."
    Hiddink may have moved a step closer to becoming Chelsea manager on Tuesday after the president of the Turkish Football Federation announced he would not stand for re-election.
    Mahmut Ozgener's decision to stand down will likely have an impact on the Blues' hopes of securing Hiddink's services in the near future.
    Ozgener, who reportedly lacked enough support to secure another term in office, has been a staunch ally of national team boss Hiddink, whose refusal to fully commit his future to Turkey has caused concern at the TFF.
    Even Ozgener himself suggested last week he had been misled by the Dutchman, threatening to report Chelsea to FIFA if they persuaded Hiddink to break his contract.
    Feelings are likely to run deeper than that among Ozgener's opponents and any new president may decide to cut his losses on Hiddink, whose reported 4million-a-year contract expires next summer.
    There are claims he is paid even more than this and that the TFF are holding out for the maximum possible compensation from Chelsea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast