Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 17-06-11

Latest Transfer Update at 17-06-11

Latest Transfer Update at 17-06-11

Nasri - linked with Man Utd.

Samir Nasri is determined to prove he has what it takes to be more than a one-season wonder - but as yet there are no firm answers on whether that will be at Arsenal.
    The France midfielder, who turns 24 later this month, has still to agree a contract extension with the Gunners - a situation which Manchester United are said to be monitoring closely.
    Regardless of all of the summer speculation, Nasri believes he cannot afford to rest on his laurels after an impressive 2010/2011 campaign which saw him included in the shortlist for the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year.
    He accepts he was "less efficient" following his return from a mid-season hamstring injury and vowed to improve again.
    Speaking to the July edition of the official Arsenal magazine, Nasri said: "As a player, it is hard to stay at the top of your game.
    "I don't want last season to be just a one-off. I want to continue playing at my best and be consistent at the level I was at the start of last season.
    "This is the difference between a good player and a great player - and I know the expectations will be higher on me too."
    Nasri has yet to publicly commit himself to the Gunners cause long term, having moved to Emirates Stadium from Marseille during the summer of 2008.
    However, he stressed - at the time of his latest official club interview - that nothing had been decided either way.
    "There is not much to say apart from don't listen to all the rumours and everything that is written or said," added Nasri, who would be free to leave on a Bosman transfer in 12 months' time should no new deal be reached.
    "Earlier in the season I spoke with the boss and we said we would talk during the summer, which is what we are going to do."
    Whether Nasri or indeed captain Cesc Fabregas, a perennial target for boyhood club Barcelona, will be integral to Arsene Wenger's plans again next season remains to be decided.
    However, Nasri feels Arsenal are agonisingly close to finally ending their quest for silverware following a sixth barren campaign - and indeed can rival Barclays Premier League champions United for quality.
    He added: "At some point, we so want to win, our desire is so big that we rush things and make mistakes. But it is not because we are scared, but because we want to win so badly and we don't think enough.
    "As a team, we all realise now what we need to do to win a trophy.
    "We had everything to be champions, but if you look at it, every time we played to go top of the league, we never did.
    "In terms of talent, I feel we had the best squad of the whole league. We played the best football.
    "We were the best team, even if Manchester United had a good season too."
    Nasri added: "We have improved so much.
    "If the boss adds some good players, I really believes a trophy will be won."
    Arsenal have signed promising young defender Carl Jenkinson from Charlton, and look set to further bolster the squad with Blackburn defender Christopher Samba and Ivory Coast forward Gervinho in an 11million deal from Lille.
    However, movement will also be two ways this summer, with Nicklas Bendtner one of several fringe players set to leave, although Sporting Lisbon general director Carlos Freitas maintains there has been no formal offer for the Denmark striker.
    Arsenal also confirmed youngsters Mark Randall, Thomas Cruise and Roarie Deacon have been released at the end of their contracts.
    Wenger will break with his traditional pre-season when he takes the squad on a lucrative tour of the Far East in mid-July, before hosting the Emirates Cup and a final warm-up game at Benfica ahead of the new Premier League campaign, which starts at Newcastle.
    The Gunners, who faded badly to finish fourth, will face a Champions League play-off in between testing fixtures against Liverpool at home and then United away on August 27.

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 17-06-11

Alex McLeish - new Aston Villa manager.

Aston Villa have confirmed the controversial appointment of former Birmingham boss Alex McLeish as their new manager.
    McLeish makes the move across the city just five days after resigning from his post at St Andrew's.
    Villa have held off fierce opposition from their own supporters and a bitter row with Blues to bring in the 52-year-old.
    Villa this morning released a lengthy statement detailing the Scot's virtues and achievements, most notably the seven trophies he won in charge of Rangers, in an attempt to justify the decision to fans.
    The most sceptical, however, will take more convincing after their opposition culminated with a protest at Villa Park on Wednesday.
    McLeish himself accepts he will have to win the doubters over.
    The Scot told the club's website, "I am honoured to have this opportunity to manage a club with such a fantastic history as Aston Villa's.
    "The heritage, the history of success and the tradition of Aston Villa are compelling and irresistible. The challenge for me is to try to add my own chapter.
    "Since first becoming a manager at Motherwell, my desire to succeed and my energy and drive have never waned.
    "My objective is to impart that drive and will to win to the players and fans of Aston Villa.
    "I know that some of our fans have voiced concerns and I can understand why.
    "It will be up to me to convince you that I am the right man to drive the club forward and I intend to give absolutely everything to prove that I can be a success at the club."
    Villa have not yet confirmed the length of McLeish's contract but have said he will commence duties immediately, underlining their confidence there are no lingering issues concerning Birmingham.
    Blues, however, remain far from happy with the situation and are continuing to take legal advice.
    The St Andrew's club accused their rivals of tapping up the former Scotland boss earlier this week and demanded 5.4million in compensation to cover the remaining two years of his broken contract.
    They also threatened to report Villa to the Premier League and take out an injunction to block the move and, although neither was carried out, they insist the matter is not yet over.
    A Birmingham statement read: "The fact that Alex McLeish has been appointed as manager of Aston Villa does not, in any way, mean that the legal dispute is over and Birmingham City Football Club maintains its stance and shall vigorously pursue the matter.
    "We are very disappointed with how the club and its fans have been treated by Mr McLeish, given the way we have supported him over the years and we are still looking into whether Aston Villa's conduct has been in line with Premier League rules.
    "As the club is currently enforcing its legal right with Mr McLeish the matter is in the hands of our lawyers and it is therefore not appropriate for the club to make any further comment at this stage.
    "The club will continue its full efforts on recruiting a new manager and hope to make an appointment as soon as possible."
    Villa, who switched their attention to McLeish after being snubbed by Wigan's Roberto Martinez last week, started speaking to McLeish this week on the understanding he was a free agent.
    McLeish becomes Villa's third full-time manager in nine months and the club need him to restore stability after a difficult season.
    Martin O'Neill resigned just five days before the 2010-11 campaign began and his successor Gerard Houllier made a number of PR gaffes and got involved in a relegation battle before leaving after a health scare.
    The appointment ends a long-running saga which has seen several names linked with the position.
    Mark Hughes was installed as the early favourite after leaving Fulham but was never a serious contender.
    Steve McClaren, David Moyes, Rafael Benitez and Martinez were all heavily backed at different times but fell by the wayside.
    Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "We believe we have appointed the right man for the job.
    "Unquestionably, Alex meets the criteria we set out at the beginning of our search which was based on proven Premier League experience, leadership, a hard-working ethic and, most importantly, a shared vision for Aston Villa."
    McLeish had been in charge at Birmingham since 2007 and won the Carling Cup last season before seeing the campaign end in relegation.
    He began his managerial career with Motherwell in 1994 before his spells in charge of Hibernian, Rangers, Scotland and Birmingham.
    1959: Born January 21, Glasgow.
    1976: Joins Aberdeen to begin his professional career.
    1980: Helps the Pittodrie club win Scottish championship and wins first Scotland cap against Portugal.
    1982: Aberdeen win the Scottish Cup, beating Rangers 4-1, and McLeish plays as a second-half substitute in 4-1 defeat by Brazil in the World Cup finals.
    1983: Aberdeen retain Scottish Cup, this time beating Rangers 1-0, and defeat Real Madrid 2-1 in Gothenburg to lift European Cup Winners' Cup.
    1984: Aberdeen win the Scottish league and cup double - their third successive cup triumph - for the first time.
    1985: The Dons retain the championship and win the League Cup.
    1986: Aberdeen win Scottish Cup against Hearts.
    1989: Aberdeen win the League Cup after extra time against Rangers.
    1990: Wins Scottish Cup again with the Dons in penalty shoot-out with Celtic and is voted player of the year. Plays for Scotland in all three World Cup group games - against Costa Rica, Sweden and Brazil.
    1993: Makes 77th and final Scotland appearance against Malta.
    1994: Takes over from Tommy McLean as manager of Motherwell after 17 years at Pittodrie.
    1995: Guides the Fir Park club to second place in the top flight in his first season.
    1998: Appointed manager of Hibernian but cannot prevent the club being relegated to Division One.
    1999: Wins First Division title at first attempt.
    2001: Leads Hibs into the Scottish Cup final against Celtic and to UEFA Cup after finishing third in the SPL.
    2001: December - Replaces Dick Advocaat as manager of Rangers.
    2002: February - Defeats Celtic 2-1 in first Old Firm clash in the CIS Insurance Cup semi-final.
    March - Clinches first trophy as Rangers boss with 3-0 CIS Cup final win over Ayr United.
    May - Celebrates cup double when Peter Lovenkrands' last-minute winner secures 3-2 Scottish Cup win over Celtic.
    2003: May - Rangers pip their Old Firm rivals to the SPL championship on goal difference before Scottish Cup win over Dundee gives McLeish a clean sweep of all three domestic honours.
    September - Signs new four-year deal with Rangers.
    2005: February - Becomes first Rangers boss to win at Celtic Park for five years with 2-0 victory.
    March - Claims sixth trophy in three years with the Light Blues as Motherwell are defeated 5-1 in CIS Cup final.
    May - Guides Rangers to second SPL title in three years.
    December - Becomes first manager to guide an SPL club to last 16 of the Champions League.
    February 9 - With Rangers 18 points behind SPL leaders Celtic and eight behind second-placed Hearts, Rangers announce McLeish is leaving at end of season.
    March - Rangers defeated by Villarreal on away goals in the Champions League.
    May - Last game in charge of Rangers ends in a 2-0 win over Hearts at Ibrox.
    2007: January 29 - Confirmed as new Scotland manager, replacing Walter Smith.
    Handed a contract until the end of the 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign.
    September 12 - Scotland stretch winning run to five games with famous 1-0 victory over France in Paris.
    November 17 - Scotland lose 2-1 to Italy at Hampden and fail to qualify for Euro 2008.
    November 27 - Resigns as Scotland manager after the SFA turn down an official approach from a club to hold talks with him.
    November 28 - Unveiled as new manager of Birmingham on a three-and-a-half-year deal.
    2008: May 11 - Relegated from Premier League despite last-day 4-1 win over Blackburn.
    2009: May - Guides Birmingham back to topflight at first attempt.
    December - Becomes first Birmingham boss to be named Premier League manager of the month.
    2010: May - Blues finish ninth.
    September - Signs new three-year deal.
    2011: February 27 - Leads Birmingham to Carling Cup triumph, beating Arsenal 2-1 in final at Wembley.
    May 22 - Blues relegated from Premier League after 2-1 final-day defeat at Tottenham.
    June 12 - Just a handful of days after signing Marlon King and Chris Burke, McLeish resigns in an email to acting chairman Peter Pannu.
    June 14 - League Managers' Association chief executive Richard Bevan says McLeish resigned because the Birmingham board made his position untenable. Villa then release a statement saying they intend to interview the Scot "imminently" over their vacancy. Birmingham respond by announcing their intention to lodge a complaint against Villa over their "tapping up" of McLeish.
    June 17 - Villa confirm his controversial appointment as manager five days after resigning at Birmingham.

Mackay - new Cardiff boss.

Cardiff City have appointed Malky Mackay as their new manager.
    The Scotsman leaves Watford and takes over at the Bluebirds from Dave Jones, who parted company with the club at the end of last season.
    Full story to follow...

Sanchez - a target for Man City.

Manchester City coach Attilio Lombardo has indicated that work is under way to try and bring in Udinese winger Alexis Sanchez.
    The Chile international is attracting interest from other European heavyweights such as Barcelona, Juventus, Inter Milan and City's local rivals Manchester United.
    Udinese say five offers have been lodged and Lombardo is aware of the amount of competition City would face to secure the services of the 22-year-old.
    However, Lombardo, who joined Roberto Mancini's backroom staff a year ago, is hopeful of landing a player that he believes would have a huge impact at Eastlands.
    "He is an excellent player for any big club in Europe," Lombardo told Il Friuli. "This season he has often proved to be one of the best in the Italian championship.
    "He is a very fast player, a great champion, with a great personality and touch of the ball.
    "I repeat, it would be a major boost for any team."
    Lombardo accepts that Udinese will have the final say on Sanchez's future but has made it very clear that he ranks highly on City's transfer wish list for the summer.
    He added: "For now he is a very valuable player for Udinese and we respect that.
    "What I can say is that Manchester City are always aware of what's happening around great players and Alexis Sanchez fits the profile of football that our club is looking for.
    "But in this period of the market it is also true that we talk a lot.
    "Players like Sanchez are on the lists of the top teams and this is normal. As is normal in the list of City."
    Lombardo could shed no light on reports that City had tabled a bid of €38million (33.5m) for Sanchez.
    He said: "It's not something I can comment on. The company is working hard on purchases, but I'm not authorised to give any details, let alone talk about figures.
    "There are people in charge, working with the coaching staff. This is what I can say.
    "The market is an important issue and we want a great team for next season, with great players."

Ba - close to Newcastle move.

Newcastle are hopeful of pushing through a move for Senegal striker Demba Ba today.
    It's understood the Magpies are close to finalising a deal for the frontman, who arrived on Tyneside on Thursday.
    Ba scored seven goals in 13 appearances for West Ham last season after his proposed move from Hoffenheim to Stoke fell through when he failed a medical.
    However, the knee problem which so concerned Stoke did not appear to hamper him as he attempted to keep the Hammers in the Barclays Premier League.
    Ba would be manager Alan Pardew's second summer signing after French midfielder Yohan Cabaye, and his arrival might go some of the way to easing the disappointment of skipper Kevin Nolan's move to Upton Park yesterday.
    However, it will take further signings to placate fans disgruntled at the club's stance over the likes of Nolan and Joey Barton.
    Newcastle are also closing in on Swansea full-back Neil Taylor and are actively pursuing a series of other targets with Tranquillo Barnetta, Mevlut Erding and Blaise Matuidi among the men in their sights.
    But having already told Alan Smith and Nile Ranger that they can leave St James' Park, the Magpies are also ready to listen to offers for Republic of Ireland striker Leon Best.
    The 24-year-old, a 1.2million signing from Coventry in February last year, scored a hat-trick in his first Premier League start for the club against West Ham on January 5, but injuries have not helped him establish himself as a genuine option.

Scott Parker - West Ham midfielder.

West Ham have not abandoned all hope of keeping star midfielder Scott Parker.
    The Hammers' player of the year is widely expected to move back to the Premier League this summer after the club were relegated, with Tottenham his likely destination.
    But new manager Sam Allardyce will return from holiday next week and one of his first tasks will be to speak to Parker and find out what the future holds for the 30-year-old England international.
    "Until Sam gets back and speaks to him we haven't given up on the possibility that we can keep Scott Parker," co-chairman David Gold told Sky Sports News.
    "That will be an issue for Sam. He will be back in the office on Monday and I guess that's when the hard work starts."
    If Parker does move on, Allardyce has a ready-made replacement in midfield in the shape of Kevin Nolan.
    The 28-year-old has dropped down a division to link up with his old Bolton boss after leaving Newcastle for a fee of around 4million.
    And Gold feels his club have pulled off a major coup in landing a player who scored 12 top-flight goals last term.
    "He is a quality, quality player," added Gold.
    "The relationship between him and Sam is very important. He's captaincy material, he's got that determination, will and desire to win which Sam has and the owners have.
    "I know the fans are delighted, it's an absolute coup for West Ham.
    "If we were still in the Premier League you would expect West Ham to be pursuing a player of his quality so to be in the Championship and persuade a great player to come to us...this is the player we can build our squad around, an iconic player."

Campbell - available on a free transfer.

Sol Campbell has confirmed he has Premier League offers on the table as he considers his future.
    The former England international has left Newcastle after his one-year contract expired so is now a free agent.
    The 36-year-old centre-back, whose wife recently gave birth to their first child, is currently weighing up his options.
    And although he would like to sign a deal before the start of July, he may start pre-season training with a local club until he makes a decision.
    "I'll do a pre-season with a London club - I'm not allowed to go anywhere else!" he told Sky Sports News.
    "I'd like to join someone by the beginning of July, to join up with the lads wherever I am."
    Asked if any Premier League clubs had been in contact, he replied: "There's been a couple so we'll see."
    In 2009/10, Campbell made an ill-fated move to Notts County, then of League Two.
    Although he rejoined Arsenal for the second half of that season, he made just eight appearances for Newcastle last term.
    And although the ex-Tottenham and Portsmouth defender believes he is fit enough to remain in the top flight, he insists he will only continue playing if the deal is right.
    "I love playing football and that's what it's all about," he added.
    "I'll play another couple of years, a year - it depends on the manager and how you fit in really.
    "I'm not going to play just for playing's sake - I've got to really enjoy it.
    "I think a lot of players now are looking after their bodies well.
    "Maybe 10 years ago, 30-year-olds might be saying 'I've had enough'.
    "But now, especially with goalkeepers and players who have really looked after themselves - 35-plus, it's not a problem."
    Meanwhile Campbell has expressed his surprise at the club's decision to sell skipper Kevin Nolan.
    The 28-year-old midfielder joined West Ham on a five-year deal on Thursday after rejecting the offer of a contract extension at St James' Park.
    Asked for his reaction, Campbell told Sky Sports News: "Surprised?
    "Yes, because Nobby is a very popular player up there and has done fantastically for the team, especially when they dropped down, coming up and then securing Premier League status the following year.
    "He's the captain as well, so he is the figurehead at Newcastle, so it was a bit strange for him.
    "I looked at the situation and it does look a little bit strange, but the business up there is slightly different."

Steve Bruce - hoping to build a strong squad.

Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn has promised to help manager Steve Bruce build an exciting squad for the new Barclays Premier League campaign.
    The fixture list announced on Friday morning will see Bruce's side pitched into battle with Liverpool at Anfield on the opening day of the season, a date which could see former Black Cats midfielder Jordan Henderson make his league debut for the Reds against his home-town club.
    They then welcome arch-rivals Newcastle to the Stadium of Light a week later for their first home game with revenge for last season's disappointments firmly in mind.
    Henderson's departure on top of that of Darren Bent in January has left Bruce with a major rebuilding job to do as he attempts to both replace key players and strengthen the squad they have left behind, and Quinn is confident he will do just that.
    The Irishman told the club's official website, "The journey begins again and it promises to be an interesting one.
    "We have got a tough start to the season, but you have to play everyone twice during the course of the season, so it all evens itself out.
    "We are looking to build an exciting squad to meet the challenges to come, and I'm confident we will be able to do that.
    "As a club, we are exploring a number of potential signings and have been speaking to a number of players and agents.
    "There's a real sense of excitement now and I hope the fans will get behind us and back us through the turnstiles.
    "We are all moving ahead in the same direction and there's plenty to look forward to."
    Much of the groundwork for deals to sign strikers Ji Dong-won and David Ngog has been completed, while free transfer moves for Keiren Westwood and Sebastian Larsson are at an advanced stage.
    Manchester United midfielder Darron Gibson has indicated his willingness to consider a switch to Wearside, although team-mates Wes Brown and John O'Shea seem less enamoured after the Red Devils accepted a joint bid totalling in excess of 12million.
    Sunderland have also registered their interest in Birmingham midfielder Craig Gardner while Bruce is a long-term admirer of Charles N'Zogbia, although Wigan's valuation, which is understood to top 10million, has not wavered.

Warnock - wants five or six signings.

Neil Warnock maintains he will not be out to just sign any overseas player for the sake of it as he looks to keep Queens Park Rangers in the Barclays Premier League.
    The west-London club, whose major shareholder is Flavio Briatore, have been linked with a string of Italians - including 34-year-old AC Milan defender Nicola Legrottaglie and fellow veteran Marco Materazzi.
    However, Warnock insists any new signings will go through proper scouting.
    Speaking in the Fulham & Hammersmith Chronicle, the QPR manager said: "I am not against foreign players as such - in fact there's three on my list - but some of the names we've been linked with over the past few weeks, I've either barely heard of or I'm not interested.
    "If I get a DVD sent to me and it's only got the highlights of someone's career - it goes straight in the bin.
    "If it's got an entire game and that player's part in it - then I'll have a look, or one of my staff will, and then we'll follow it up in person."
    Warnock is said to have a transfer kitty of some 15million and had reportedly targeted free agent Jay Bothroyd, Blackpool striker DJ Campbell and Hull's Jimmy Bullard.
    "We need five or six signings, which we are desperately trying to move on," Warnock added on Sky Sports News.
    "It is difficult at the moment but when the season starts we will be ready and Loftus Road will be buzzing at the rafters.
    "We do need some signings but the lads that took us up deserve a chance as well.
    "It's not just a matter of signings. I've got to get the right ones that I think will go in to the team and make the team better.
    "I am going to persevere. Ian Holloway said to me that he thought where they (Blackpool) made a mistake was not getting the squad big enough before the end of August, and we don't want to make that mistake if we can help it."
    It has been suggested influential Moroccan Adel Taarabt will be sold, but Warnock quipped: "You take it with a pinch of salt. I read this morning he fancies Chelsea and Arsenal, so hopefully he will turn it on against these clubs and get himself a move.
    "I'll probably have had enough of him by Christmas, so hopefully he'll score 10 or 15 goals by then and get himself a move."
    QPR side start their Premier League campaign against Bolton on August 13.
    "It doesn't matter who you play, the Premier League is where we all want to be. It's just fabulous to be involved," Warnock said.
    "I think the thing is to try to play without fear.
    "We know we're going to have one or two defeats, but it's how you bounce back - and our home record's always been good.
    "I'm really glad I'm in the Premier League and I've got to make sure whoever plays us it's difficult for them."

Neymar - expected to move to Europe.

Brazil starlet Neymar admits to being flattered by Real Madrid's interest in his services but insists no deal has been done.
    The Brazil forward is set to spark a frenzied scramble for his signature this summer, with it widely accepted that a big-money move is on the cards.
    His current employers Santos are clinging to the hope that they can persuade him to spend at least one more season in his homeland, but the chances of that happening are fading fast.
    Success in the Copa Libertadores would help their cause, but a move to Europe appears to be on the cards.
    Premier League giants Chelsea have been strongly linked with the talented teenager for some time and had hoped that this would be the year in which they got their man.
    Reports, however, suggest that the Blues are reluctant to meet Santos' asking price, which is believed to stand at some €45million (39.5million).
    Their reluctance to splash the cash has left the door ajar for the likes of Real Madrid, who are prepared to bankroll such a deal.
    Neymar is aware of the mounting speculation linking him with a switch to the Spanish capital but insists his future is no nearer to being decided.
    "It is flattering to know that Madrid like me but nothing has been agreed yet," he told AS.
    Neymar's father has also revealed that any potential transfer this summer 'must wait' as his son his currently fully focused on Santos' bid for Copa Libertadores glory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast