Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 20-06-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 20-06-11

Latest Transfer Update at 20-06-11

Varane - set to make decision on future.
    MAN UTD WAIT ON VARANE

Manchester United will find out within the next 48 hours if their bid for Lens starlet Raphael Varane has been successful.
    United have been tracking the Lens stopper for a number of months and were the first side to make a move for him this summer.
    They lodged a bid of around 10million euros for the 18-year-old central defender, who admitted he was considering his options carefully.
    Varane intimated he would like to continue playing first-team football next season, so United were set to allow him to move back to France on loan.
    Real Madrid, who have also lodged a bid, were also happy for him to return as part of the deal but he also looks set to have the option to move within his homeland as Paris Saint Germain have also lodged an offer.
    And it is PSG who have emerged as favourites to land his signature, despite the attention of the two European giants.
    Lens president Gervais Martel confirmed that interested clubs will soon find out Varane's future.
    "Given the clubs involved, it would be very hard to stop him [from moving," Martel told La Voix du Nord.
    "I hope this will be finalised in the next 48 hours - I have just spent four hours on the phone, and there are many things to settle."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 20-06-11

Chris Hughton - reportedly among those interviewed.
    BIRMINGHAM STEP UP BOSS SEARCH

Birmingham are stepping up their attempts to appoint a quickfire replacement for Alex McLeish.
    Former Newcastle boss Chris Hughton and ex-West Brom head coach Roberto Di Matteo are believed to have been interviewed by Blues chairman Peter Pannu.
    Hughton and Di Matteo both left their previous posts midway through last season and are keen to return to football.
    Gianfranco Zola, the former West Ham boss, is also among the candidates on City's short-list.
    Pannu is a key figure in deciding who will step into McLeish's shoes after the Scot angered sections of Blues and Villa fans by resigning last weekend following three and a half years at St. Andrew's.
    But Hong Kong-based club owner Carson Yeung will have the final say on McLeish's successor.
    McLeish has yet to confirm which of his backroom staff at St. Andrew's, in first team coaches Peter Grant and Andy Watson plus goalkeeping coach Dave Watson, will join him at Villa.
    First team coach Gordon Cowans, a European Cup winner with the club in 1982, is remaining at Villa but there is a question mark over the future of assistant-manager Gary McAllister.
    He was brought to the club by previous Villa boss Gerard Houllier.

Uploads

Colin Calderwood - linked with Forest return.
    HIBS: NO FOREST CONTACT OVER BOSS

Hibernian say Nottingham Forest have not been in contact with the club following reports linking them with Colin Calderwood.
    Forest's new manager Steve McClaren is reportedly keen for the Easter Road boss to join his backroom staff at the City Ground.
    Calderwood previously led Forest out of League One before managing the team for two years until 2008 prior to being axed.
    The 46-year-old has a release clause in his Hibs contract, however, the club say Forest have not made any sort of move.
    "We have had no contact at all from Nottingham Forest regarding Colin," confirmed a club statement.
    Calderwood is putting the speculation over his future to one side and focusing on his rebuilding plans in Edinburgh.
    Hibs have already snapped up Ivan Sproule, Sean O'Hanlon and Garry O'Connor, but Calderwood insists they will need to be patient in their pursuit of targets.
    "We still have money left in the budget but the difficulty is if we want to loan anyone from England they don't come back until the beginning of July," he commented.
    "So we need to have a bit of patience. We're always working away but if something smacks us in the face we'll move on it.
    "We need to improve the front of the team because we're light in numbers in that area. We've almost got more goalkeepers than strikers."

Uploads

Craig Forsyth - Crystal Palace target.
    DUNDEE REJECT PALACE CLAIM

Dundee have rejected claims they kept Crystal Palace in the dark over their bid to sign Craig Forsyth.
    Eagles boss Dougie Freedman stated Dundee failed to inform them if their first bid for the 23-year-old was successful or not.
    However, the Scottish side say they were professional in their dealings with Palace and responded as per usual.
    Dundee say a fee was accepted following negotiations, although it is their understanding that Forsyth will not be joining as he failed to agree personal terms.
    "We at Dundee have been disappointed to read those comments from Dougie Freedman given that we have been entirely professional throughout our dealings with Crystal Palace," said chief executive Harry MacLean.
    "Those quotes attributed to him regarding Dundee are both misleading and untrue.
    "We did respond to Crystal Palace's original bid, which we turned down, then after negotiations we accepted a much improved second offer in writing to Crystal Palace chief executive Phil Alexander.
    "Further to that, I believe that Crystal Palace were unable to agree personal terms with Craig."

Uploads

Jean-Francois - has joined Bristol City.
    WILSON CLINCHES FIRST SIGNING

Sheffield United manager Danny Wilson has completed his first signing after bringing in Lescinel Jean-Francois from former club Swindon.
    It was revealed last week that Jean-Francois was set to reject a new contract at Swindon in favour of a reunion with Wilson at Bramall Lane.
    The Haitian defender has now signed a two-year deal with the League One club and Wilson is looking forward to working with the 24-year-old again.
    "Lecs will thrive on the pressure and expectation and hopefully we will see that we have got a very good player on our hands," Wilson told the club's official website.
    "He was out of contract and we had contact from his agent, as did a lot of clubs, and we just asked him if he fancied coming in.
    "The upside is I know Lecs very well, he is very athletic, terrific left foot, comfortable at both left-back and centre-back, so he gives you good options.
    "His age is good at 24 and we all thought that if we could get a deal sorted then it would be a good addition to the squad.
    "What we will see is an aggressive and competitive character and I am very much looking forward to working with him."

Uploads

Redknapp: Telling Modric to stay
    REDKNAPP REITERATES MODRIC STANCE

Harry Redknapp has reiterated his belief that Tottenham cannot afford to lose Luka Modric.
    The Croatian confirmed over the weekend that he would like the chance to leave White Hart Lane, with Chelsea his preferred destination.
    That came after the Blues made a reported 22million offer for the 25-year old, which was rejected last week.
    After Modric's declarations, both Redknapp and chairman Daniel Levy were quick to emphasise their desire to keep hold of him.
    And Redknapp has again underlined his belief that Spurs cannot sell Modric.
    "If Tottenham sell Luka then I feel it sends out a message that maybe Gareth Bale could leave and no one wants either to happen," he told The Sun.
    "I have seen that sort of thing before. West Ham decided to sell Rio Ferdinand and then all of a sudden they all seemed to go. That's no good for any club.
    "Tottenham need to keep their best players as well as add more quality to the squad if they want to mount a serious challenge for the title.
    "Other top clubs raise the bar all the time and Spurs must keep pace. It's as simple as that."
    Redknapp insists Spurs can achieve the sort of success that Modric is looking for.
    "Luka wants to be successful and if we can improve the squad then he can achieve that with us," he continued.
    "I don't envisage a problem with Luka. You could not meet a more professional man or a nicer person. It is so important for the club to keep him. I think we have to show him our ambition, which we will do.
    "If we can add one or two good players to our squad there's no reason we can't have another great season. So Tottenham could be a great club for him to stay with for the next few years."

Uploads

Villas-Boas - fresh links with Chelsea.
    CHELSEA IN NEW VILLAS-BOAS LINK

Porto president Pinta da Costa has admitted he is helpless to prevent Andre Villas-Boas leaving as reports claim Chelsea have made a move for him.
    Over the weekend Inter Milan made an approach for the 33-year-old, who led Porto to three trophies last season, a domestic double and the Europa League.
    Inter, though, baulked at the idea of paying his 15million euros (13.2m) release clause, but that would not be an issue for Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich if he did move for him.
    Reports from Portugal claim that is the case and that Chelsea have turned their attention to Villas-Boas, who has already served as a coach at Stamford Bridge.
    He is a protege of former Blues chief Jose Mourinho, and worked with him at Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan before embarking on his managerial career in 2009.
    After one year with Academica, he was appointed Porto chief in 2010 and he has blossomed in the role.
    Villas-Boas insisted after the Europa League final win that he was committed to Porto but that resolve now looks as if it could be tested.
    And Da Costa admits he cannot stand in his way: "Villas Boas has a contract and a clause of 15million.
    "If someone deposits 15million into our account and he wants to go, we can not do anything because it is something that is contractually specified."
    Chelsea have been locked in talks with Turkey coach Guus Hiddink about returning to the club.
    The Blues have been talking with Hiddink about taking either the coach's job or the sporting director role, and should he take on the latter then there would also be, in theory, room for Villas-Boas to also come on board.

Uploads

Neil Lennon - new deal done.
    NEIL LENNON SIGNS NEW CELTIC DEAL

Neil Lennon aims to repay Celtic fans for their backing last season after signing a new 12-month rolling contract as Hoops manager.
    The Northern Irishman, who took over from Tony Mowbray on an interim basis in March 2010 before signing a six-month rolling contract, was rewarded for an encouraging first season in charge with an extended deal which reportedly more than doubled his wages.
    Lennon's side finished second to Rangers in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League by just one point and also lost to the Ibrox men in the final of the Co-operative Insurance Cup, but finished the season by winning the Scottish Cup.
    However, much of the focus was off the field where the former Parkhead skipper had to have round-the-clock security after a parcel bomb addressed to him was intercepted in March.
    Lennon, who was also sent a bullet earlier in the year, was attacked by a fan at Tynecastle in May which further galvanised support for him among the Celtic fans - which he acknowledged following the confirmation of his new contract.
    "I would like to record my thanks to our supporters," Lennon told the club's official website.
    "The backing they gave to me and the team last season was absolutely tremendous.
    "Clearly there was a lot involved in last season and their contribution was immense.
    "I said when I was appointed manager that we wanted to re-ignite Celtic Park and make it the place it should be - one of Europe's finest, most atmospheric football arenas.
    "There is no question this happened. There were numerous occasions last year when the fans' unique backing played such a crucial role and I know that we can build on this for next season.
    "I know that myself, the board, my management team and all my players will be doing all we can to ensure that our fans have a team they can be proud of.
    "We want to provide our fans with entertaining, attacking and professional football but ultimately we aim to deliver silverware.
    "Work begins now on striving to bring domestic trophies to Celtic Park and on having some success in Europe.
    "We have already begun looking at the squad for next season. Whoever comes into the squad I know they will be joining some very talented players here who share my appetite for success.
    "The players have connected with our fans, they know what Celtic means to so many people and I know they will be looking to deliver success for them this coming season."
    Lennon, who was "absolutely delighted" with his new deal, added: "I have had 10 great years connected to Celtic and I hope to enjoy many more.
    "Clearly this is down to me and I will be doing everything I possibly can to ensure we bring our fans more success.
    "I have been speaking to Peter (Lawwell, chief executive) over the past few weeks and we are both delighted to move forward together.
    "We have sat down, looked at last season and now we look ahead.
    "I know that Peter and the board's vision for the club is the same as mine.
    "We are absolutely together on this, we want to bring success to the club and reward the commitment which our supporters continue to make."
    Celtic chairman John Reid praised Lennon for the way he dealt with the off-field problems last term.
    "We are very pleased to be able to announce this new contract for Neil," he said.
    "Neil has proven himself as a football manager with great talent and someone who we are delighted to have in charge.
    "For more than a decade, Neil Lennon has shown tremendous commitment and dedication to Celtic.
    "Last season was a particularly difficult one for Neil, but he came through this period with tremendous credit.
    "This is testament to his real strength of character and fortitude - qualities which I know he will use again as he aims to build on this season and bring the club even more success."
    Lawwell insists Lennon will get backing from the board in his bid to take the title back from Rangers.
    He said: "We have had very positive discussions with Neil in recent weeks.
    "We all know the direction we are going in. We are already planning for next season and our supporters can rest assured that Neil will receive every support from the board as we aim to build on last season.
    "We look ahead to the future with confidence."

Uploads

Wesley Sneijder - linked with Chelsea and Man Utd.
    MORATTI EXPECTS SNEIJDER STAY

President Massimo Moratti believes Inter Milan's top stars will remain at the San Siro, including reported Chelsea and Manchester United target Wesley Sneijder.
    Sneijder, Maicon and Samuel Eto'o proved pivotal in helping the Nerazzurri finish runners-up in Serie A and lift the Coppa Italia trophy in the recently-completed season.
    They have all attracted the attention of top European clubs but the trio are still under contract with Inter.
    "What I can say is that I have spoken to Maicon, Sneijder and Eto'o and they have all told me they want to continue with us," Moratti said to Gazzetta dello Sport.
    Cameroon striker Eto'o has not closed the door on a move to the Premier League in the near future, while Brazilian full-back Maicon remains Real Madrid's top summer target.

Uploads

Andre Villas-Boas - no Chelsea deal.
    PORTO: NO BLUES DEAL FOR VILLAS-BOAS

Chelsea remain confident a new manager will shortly be in place - with Porto insisting as yet there has been no official offer to trigger Andre Villas-Boas' 15 million euro release clause.
    The Blues are seeking to replace Carlo Ancelotti, who was unceremoniously axed at the end of last season, just 12 months after guiding the west London club to an historic double.
    Guus Hiddink - who enjoyed a successful spell as caretaker boss in 2008/2009 and continues to hold a close relationship with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich - emerged as the leading candidate to return to Stamford Bridge.
    However, despite the Blues said to be ready to meet the 4million compensation demands of the Turkish Football Federation to allow Hiddink's departure, it now appears the veteran Dutchman could be set for a sporting director role rather than going back into hand-ons management.
    Villas-Boas, 33, would certainly fit the bill for an up-and-coming coach to work with the first team and is no stranger to Stamford Bridge, having worked there under Jose Mourinho.
    The Portuguese coach has seen his stock rise after guiding the Dragons to domestic and Europa League success last season.
    Chelsea, though, will not be drawn on any specific candidate. A club spokesman confirmed: "We hope to be able to make an announcement regarding the new manager in the next few days or so, but until then we will not be commenting further on the speculation surrounding that appointment."
    Porto, though, felt it necessary to react to stories in the Portuguese media this morning suggesting a deal had already been done for Villas-Boas' release and that he was on his way to London.
    In a statement to the Portuguese Securities Market Commission (CMCM), the club said: "FC Porto, at the request of the CMVM, hereby informs the market that the coach Andre Villas-Boas, as well as several players, has a termination clause.
    "To date, we have not received any communication that this clause will be exercised, nor of the agreement of the coach that is desired."
    Yet despite their determination to keep hold of Villas-Boas, president Pinto da Costa admitted the club could not prevent their manager from leaving should certain financial conditions be met.
    "Villas-Boas has a contract and a clause of 15million euros," he confirmed.
    "If someone deposits 15million euros into our account and he wants to go, we can not do anything because it is something that is contractually specified."
    Villas-Boas, who was reportedly also on Inter Milan's wanted list, would dramatically increase his salary with a move back to Chelsea as head coach, with reports suggesting as much as 4.4m-a-year on offer for the man expected to deliver the Champions League title.
    One of his first signings could be to bring Porto's star striker Falcao to Stamford Bridge along with him, the 25m-rated Colombian having impressed as the Dragons won the Europa League final at Dublin's Aviva Stadium, where the 25-year-old netted the only goal against Braga.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast