Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 23-06-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 23-06-11

Latest Transfer Update at 23-06-11

Forlan - first choice is a reported return to England.

Atletico Madrid say striker Diego Forlan is likely to return to England after they made him available for transfer.
    The Uruguay international marksman has been a huge hit in Spain following his largely unsuccessful spell with Manchester United.
    And that has not stopped the rumour mill surrounding the striker as he has been consistently linked with a Premier League return in recent seasons.
    The 32-year-old is now deemed as surplus to requirements at Vicente Calderon and that has alerted top-flight clubs in England, with Tottenham reportedly leading the chase.
    Forlan has already rejected the opportunity to go to Turkey with Galatasaray and president Enrique Cerezo says the striker's first choice is the Premier League.
    "Diego will decide what happens, but it looks like his first choice will be England," said Cerezo.

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 23-06-11

Tevez - won't be moving to Inter Milan.

Inter Milan insist that the cost of Carlos Tevez means they would not be able to sign him from Manchester City.
    Argentina international Tevez has admitted his unhappiness with life in Manchester has caused him to consider his options.
    Inter are one of the few clubs who could afford to sign the powerful striker, but their director of football Marco Branca insists he is out of their range, despite their interest.
    "Tevez is a great player, a great character, but absolutely no. His salary means it is out of the question," Branca said.
    "The market is crazy at the moment and it is hard to compete.
    "We have to organise our finances for the financial fair play rules in the next two years.
    "We don't have the same revenues from merchandise and match day as the English sides.
    "We are looking for younger players now with great talent, who we can develop."

Dimitar Berbatov - wants to stay at Old Trafford.

Dimitar Berbatov's agent expects to know where the striker's future lies after crunch talks with Manchester United.
    The Bulgarian's future is in doubt after he was omitted from the Red Devils' squad for their UEFA Champions League final defeat to Barcelona in May.
    Berbatov scored 22 goals in all competitions for his club last season but, despite that return, did not feature regularly towards the end of the campaign.
    Recent reports have suggested the 30-year-old could leave this summer, with French club PSG mentioned as suitors, but Berbatov's representative insists he wishes to stay at Old Trafford.
    Emil Danchev said in the Daily Mirror. "We'll know more after we have talks with United, but Berbatov wants to stay and to keep winning trophies."
    Berbatov joined United from Tottenham in 2008 and has since scored 42 league goals in 96 appearances for Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

Falcao - 'there has been movement'.

New Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas could raid former club Porto to make forward Radamel Falcao his first signing since being appointed at Stamford Bridge.
    The new Blues boss, who has signed a three-year contract with the Premier League side, has been linked with a swoop for the Colombia international.
    And the prolific hitman has admitted he is keen to test himself at the highest level and may be ready to follow his 33-year-old boss in departing the Europa League winners.
    "I am leaving things up to my agent," Falcao is quoted as saying by the Daily Star.
    "I am very calm about the situation but I know there has been some movement.
    "My ambition is to keep working hard and I am convinced I can play in a superior league like England.
    "If Chelsea is interested in me then all that needs to happen is for negotiations to take place."
    Falcao is understood to have a 26million release clause in his contract and Porto president Jorge Pinto da Costa will not budge from that valuation.
    Pinto da Costa, who did not stand in Villas-Boas' way once his own 13.2million release fee was met, will take a similar stance with his squad, with playmaker Joao Moutinho also linked with Chelsea.
    He said: "If there are termination clauses we have to prepare for the possibility that a player will leave at the value set out.
    "But I am not going to negotiate that price with anyone.
    "As with Villas-Boas, there was no conversation with Chelsea, just the money paid into our account to release him."

Allardyce - set for showdown talks.

Sam Allardyce will hold face-to-face talks with West Ham's England trio of Robert Green, Scott Parker and Carlton Cole to try to convince them to fight on at Upton Park next season.
    While the Irons have been left with a massive blackhole in their already precarious finances following last season's relegation from the Barclays Premier League, new boss Allardyce maintains it is by no means a certainty the Crown Jewels will be sold off.
    With the squad currently on holiday, the new West Ham manager claims no firm decisions have yet been taken either way.
    "I don't want to talk to Scott Parker, Robert Green, Carlton Cole on the phone. I want to talk to them when they come back," Allardyce said.
    "I want to sit them in my office, I want them to look me in the eye and to tell them what I want, be honest with me and I will be honest with them.
    "They might walk out of the office and say, 'I don't really fancy him, so I'm off'. If that's the case, we will sell him.
    "But who knows? If he likes what he hears, he wants to stay, he wants to be successful then I will speak to the owners.
    "If they say it really is a financial necessity, if we get this amount of money on this valuation, we have to let him go, then that's okay, we will replace him and try to get the best replacement we possibly can to play at West ham for promotion."
    Allardyce succeeded Avram Grant into the Upton Park hotseat after the Israeli was axed when the east London club dropped back into the npower Championship finishing bottom of the table.
    The former Bolton, Newcastle and Blackburn boss knows the challenge which awaits him to transform the Irons from a "soft touch", but believes summer signing Kevin Nolan - whom he had as a player at the Reebok Stadium - has the perfect characteristics to meet those head on.
    "Kevin has been in the Premier League an awful long time at Bolton, before he move to Newcastle," said Allardyce, who has also brought in defender Abdoulaye Faye from Stoke, another of his former Bolton men.
    "He then guided Newcastle back at the first time of asking - not only with 17 goals, but by being captain.
    "I see Kevin as a great player and a great captain off the pitch."
    Asked if Nolan could perhaps succeed Parker as skipper, were he to be sold, Allardyce added: "He got the skills to do that.
    "He showed that, not only with me at Bolton, but at Newcastle - when you get someone like Joey Barton almost crying on the TV because he's left shows you the respect he has gained.
    "That is not just because of what he does on the field, but because of what he is like of it.
    "Kevin looks after the players and he drives them on, he creates a team spirit within himself.
    "It is not that he comes telling tales to me, he just sorts out the stuff I don't need to know about - then he goes and scores 12 Premier League goals from midfield."

Sanchez - Barca favourites to sign winger.

Udinese have rejected claims that Alexis Sanchez refused to meet with Manchester City.
    Reports have suggested that the Chile star has his heart set on a move to Barcelona and, as a consequence, he is refusing to even meet City.
    The English club are understood to have lodged a larger offer than Barca with Udinese, who are trying to offer players in exchange.
    Gino Pozzo, the son of Udinese president Giampaolo Pozzo, has confirmed that Barca remain favourites for his signature, but he insisted Sanchez has not stated that Barca is his preference.
    "I can say that Barcelona have the advantage over Manchester City right now," Pozzo said.

"The player has not manifested any particular preference, although naturally we will listen to his opinion.
    "We haven't concluded any deal yet because there are still some details to work through."
    Reports claim that Barca's attempts to include Jeffren in a deal are not going down well with the player, while the chances of Udinese accepting Jonathan Soriano appear to have diminished also.

Ashley Young - set for Aston Villa exit.

Aston Villa winger Ashley Young is on the brink of becoming Manchester United's second signing of the close season after on Wednesday undergoing a medical with the Barclays Premier League champions.
    Press Association Sport understands the England international was in Manchester on Wednesday to undergo a series of physical examinations prior to completing his transfer to Old Trafford for a reported 15million.
    Prospective new team-mate Michael Owen welcomed the signing, writing on his Twitter page: "I see Ashley Young has undergone a medical. Let's hope everything goes well as he would be a great signing for us."
    The 25-year-old has just a year left on his contract at Villa Park and made it clear to the club he had no intention of extending that deal.
    New Villa manager Alex McLeish admitted earlier this week Young was destined to depart this summer.
    "It's not confirmed yet but it does seem likely," the Scot told talkSPORT.
    "In my humble opinion it will be very difficult [to keep hold of him]."
    United have already signed Blackburn's England Under-21 defender Phil Jones for 16.5million and are likely to strengthen further with Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David de Gea the likely replacement for the retired Edwin van der Sar.
    Young, like Jones, was also a target for Liverpool but United boss Sir Alex Ferguson appears to have once again beaten Kenny Dalglish to the player's signature.
    Young made his league debut as a Watford player at the age of 18 and went on to become a regular in the second tier before flourishing under the management of Aidy Boothroyd.
    He progressed to the Premier League with the Hornets in 2006/07 and was one of the side's standout players.
    He attracted the attention of several clubs, with Villa's Martin O'Neill securing his services for a fee rising to 9.75million.
    Since then Young has become a key figure at Villa Park, operating on the wing as well as in a free role behind the strikers.
    His international pedigree has also been established in recent times, with 15 England caps and two goals - both this year - to his name.

Young - joins Premier League champions.

Winger Ashley Young has signed a five-year contract with Manchester United after they agreed a fee with Aston Villa.
    The 25-year-old England international first underwent a medical and the transfer, reported to be worth between 16million to 20million, has now been finalised.
    He is Sir Alex Ferguson's second signing of the summer after the capture of England Under-21 international Phil Jones from Blackburn for 16.5million.
    Villa signed Young from Watford in January 2007 in a deal eventually worth 10million and he went on to score 38 goals in 190 appearances.
    However, he made it clear to Villa he would not be signing an extension to his contract, which was due to expire next summer, and the club had little alternative but to sell one of their prize assets.
    And Young is already targeting the club's 20th league title.
    "The opportunity to come and play for one of the biggest clubs in the world is one I couldn't turn down," Young told MUTV.
    "It's a chance to hopefully become part of the history by helping to win the 20th title. It's a prospect I always looked at from being a child - to play for one of the biggest clubs in the world.
    "I've got that opportunity now so I've just got to take it with two hands."
    Ferguson will hope Young can play a key role as he begins overhauling the squad which won a record 19th title in May.
    The forward scored 39 goals in 193 appearances but, significantly, in the last five Barclays Premier League seasons only Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas has provided more assists.
    Despite United finishing nine points clear of second-placed Chelsea last season, Ferguson always knew he would have to make changes to the playing staff.
    The retirements of midfielder Paul Scholes, right-back Gary Neville and goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar left huge holes in terms of experience while other exits - such as defender Wes Brown - are expected.
    Injury-plagued Owen Hargreaves' release this summer freed up another place in the squad while veteran midfielder Ryan Giggs will be 38 in November and centre-back Rio Ferdinand has struggled with his fitness over the last couple of years.
    To that end the Red Devils boss has moved quickly in the transfer market by bringing in two of England's brightest talents.
    In doing so he has also stolen a march on arch-rival Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool, who was interested in both Young and Jones.
    The spending will not stop there, however, as next on the list is the replacement for Van der Sar.
    It seems likely Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David De Gea will be the one to fill that key position, with Ferguson revealing a few weeks ago United had been working on the transfer for some time.
    The 69-year-old Scot is also keen to add more creativity to his midfield as, despite comfortably winning the 12th Barclays Premier League title of his tenure at Old Trafford, his side were comprehensively outplayed by Barcelona in last month's Champions League final at Wembley.
    United have been linked with both Udinese winger Alexis Sanchez - although Barcelona still seem favourites to clinch that deal - and Inter Milan midfielder Wesley Sneijder.
    Villa, who signed Young from Watford in January 2007 in a deal eventually worth 10million, were resigned to losing one of their prize assets as he had only a year left on his contract and had made it clear he was not interested in renewing it.
    "Ashley has made a terrific contribution for Villa over the past four-and-a-half seasons and everyone at the club wishes him the best for the future," said new Villa boss Alex McLeish.
    "He has become an important player in the England team during that time and I'm sure he will be looking forward to this new challenge."
    United defender Rio Ferdinand welcomed the arrival of England team-mate Young.
    "Another top, hungry and young player joins the ranks," he wrote on Twitter.
    Ashley Young Factfile:
    1985: July 9 - Born in Stevenage.
    2000: Joins Watford as a youth player.
    2002: Offered professional terms at Vicarage Road.
    2003: September 13 - Makes Hornets debut, scoring as second-half substitute against Millwall. Young also scored in his next game against Derby, again as a replacement.
    2005: August 9 - Scores first brace for Watford against Plymouth in the second game of the season after failing to find the net in the 2004/05 season.
    2006: Jan 1 - Handed first senior red card against Luton.
    February - Called up to England Under-21 Football League squad by boss Peter Taylor.
    May 6 - Scores in the Coca-Cola Championship play-off semi-final against Crystal Palace, before playing 90 minutes in the 3-0 final victory over Leeds.
    September: Called up to full England Under-21 squad, scoring in his first appearance against Switzerland.
    October 2 - Scores first Barclays Premier League goals, hitting the target twice in Watford's 3-3 draw with Fulham.
    2007: January 18 - Given permission to speak to Aston Villa about a possible transfer after the clubs agree a fee of which could rise to 9.65million. West Ham had earlier had a similar offer accepted but Young turned down the move.
    Jan 20 - Young agrees to move to Villa Park.
    January 31 - Scores against Newcastle on Villa debut.
    June - Part of the England Under-21 squad for the European Championship in Holland, scores twice in a dramatic penalty shootout as England eventually lose 13-12 to the hosts in the semi-finals.
    August 31 - Included in England squad for matches against Russia and Israel.
    November 16 - Makes his England debut as a half-time replacement in a friendly against Austria.
    2008: May - Is the only player outfield player outside the 'Big Four' to be selected in the Premier League team of the year.
    December 7 - Scores two goals in Villa's 3-2 win over Everton and is hailed as "world class" and a "genius" by manager Martin O'Neill. Wins the player of the month award to make him the first player to win three in a year.
    2009: April - Named PFA Young Player of the Year.
    July 26 - Says he wants to remain at Villa despite attracting attention from the likes of Manchester United, Barcelona and Chelsea.
    August 12 - Makes his first England start in the 2-2 draw with Holland in Amsterdam.
    2010: May 11 - Fails to make Fabio Capello's preliminary squad for the World Cup in South Africa.
    October 12 - Makes first competitive start for England in 0-0 draw with Montenegro at Wembley.
    October 22 - Tells Aston Villa he will not sign a new deal before the summer.
    2011: May 13 - Says he wants to win trophies as speculation continues to link him with a move away from Villa Park.
    June 23 - Signs five-year deal with Manchester United after the Old Trafford club agreed an undisclosed fee with Villa.

Allan McGregor - worth 'massive' money.

Rangers' new owner Craig Whyte insists summer bids for Allan McGregor would need to be "massive" for the club to even consider them.
    McGregor enjoyed a standout season in Scotland and his penalty save in the Old Firm derby proved decisive as Gers retained their title.
    The Scotland international has attracted Premier League interest, but as far as Whyte is concerned the 29-year-old will be a Rangers player next season.
    However, Whyte acknowledges that every player has his price, although he says potential suitors would need to make a "massive" offer for them to even consider parting company with his services.
    "McGregor is going to be a Rangers player next season," he told Sky Sports News.
    "Clearly there are some bids that we have to look out, but it would have to be massive for us to even consider it. As far as I'm concerned he's not for sale and will be playing for Rangers next season."
    Nikica Jelavic impressed in his debut SPL campaign and he is another Gers star that Whyte insists will not be leaving for pastures new this summer.
    "He's a fantastic player," he continued. "I expect him to be a Rangers player next season. I've said no Rangers players are for sale."
    Whyte has brought fresh investment to Ibrox and the Scottish tycoon says he will be backing new manager Ally McCoist in the transfer market.
    The club are keen on bringing Carlos Cuellar back while the likes of David Goodwillie and Lee Wallace are also firmly on their radar.
    "We're keen to get the best players we can get to Ibrox. We're guided by the manager.
    "We're doing exactly that at the moment. Ally has got offers in for several players at the moment. We're hoping to announce new signings soon.
    "We've got an offer in for Carlos and we'll see what happens. I think there's a deal to be done. Ally wants him and we want to get him.
    "We've spoken to Dundee United (about Goodwillie). We'd like him to become a Rangers player and we'll see what the outcome is."
    Once of Whyte's first tasks upon taking over was dismissing former board members Alastair Johnson and Paul Murray, however, he felt he was left with no choice.
    "I think (the sackings) could have been avoided if people have behaved in a different way.
    "There was no choice. If you find certain things you've got to take action. I clearly couldn't work with most of the old Board. They didn't want to work with me. I didn't want to work with them, so they had to go.
    "It was disappointing to an extent. Particularly when you talk to them and they say one thing to your face and then go and do something entirely different. I was always prepared, but that proved impossible."

Samba - would leave for a 'good opportunity'.

Blackburn defender Christopher Samba has cast doubt over his future at Ewood Park by claiming he would leap at the chance to leave if a "good opportunity" arose.
    According to French newspaper L'Equipe, the centre-back, who has been linked with Barclays Premier League rivals Arsenal, wants to move up a level.
    Samba also appeared to contradict Rovers manager Steve Kean's assertion that the club do not want to sell him by suggesting they were talking to interested parties.
    "I know there are discussions with some clubs," the 27-year-old told L'Equipe.
    "If a good opportunity arises, I want to seize it. It is necessary that the club understands that I want to go one step further.
    "I hope they will not put a stick in the wheels.
    "It's been four and a half years I have been at Blackburn and two years I have played in relegation battles."
    Samba made similar comments in the January transfer window only to extend his contract with Blackburn until 2015 just a couple of weeks later.
    Only yesterday Kean, speaking about Samba, told talkSPORT: "We don't have to sell him.
    "He signed a five-year contract in the last window. He's one of the players we would like to keep.
    "I said earlier this year you are always going to have interest in your good players.
    "It means they're playing well and you're playing well as a team. We're going to try and hold on to all our good players."
    (reopens) Rovers have meanwhile appointed ex-Manchester United, Wigan, Derby and Tranmere coach David Lowe, a former player with the Latics, Ipswich and Leicester, as their head of youth coaching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast