Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 25-06-11

Uploads

Latest Transfer Update at 25-06-11

Latest Transfer Update at 25-06-11

Adebayor - no interest in Zenit switch.
    ADEBAYOR RULES OUT ZENIT SWITCH

Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor says there is 'no chance' that he will join Russian side Zenit St Petersburg this summer.
    Adebayor's future at City remains uncertain after he spent the second half of last season on loan with Spanish giants Real Madrid.
    The Togo forward has previously stated he would be happy to join Real on a permanent basis amid reports he is not wanted as part of Roberto Mancini's plans at City next season.
    Marseille have been linked with a move for the former Arsenal and Monaco man, while Zenit were also rumoured to have made an offer.
    However, Adebayor has no plans to move to Russia and is waiting to see what his future holds ahead of the coming campaign.
    "If I have to go to Man City, I will do that with pleasure and if I have to stay in Madrid, I will stay with pleasure," Adebayor told Boss FM. "What is important is I want to play.
    "But I want to make it clear there is no chance of me going to Zenit.
    "I love the country but I don't think I can see myself playing in Russia.
    "I don't have anything to prove to anybody in football. I have done a lot of things in the sport.
    "I have scored important goals and played in big games so for me, in my head, I don't have any pressure at all."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 25-06-11

Gardner - set for Sunderland switch.
    SUNDERLAND CLOSE ON GARDNER

Sunderland boss Steve Bruce was on Saturday poised to make a significant transfer breakthrough as he closed in on Birmingham midfielder Craig Gardner.
    Sky Sports understand the 24-year-old is close to agreeing a move to the Black Cats in the wake of the Blues' relegation from the Barclays Premier League at the end of last season.
    Gardner, a lifelong City fan who began his career with derby rivals Aston Villa, has been in Bruce's sights for some time and the Black Cats registered their interest in him earlier this month.
    He was part of the side which lifted the Carling Cup in February with a famous 2-1 victory over Arsenal.
    However, he and his team-mates were unable to prevent Birmingham from slipping out of the top flight on a dramatic final day of the season, sparking speculation that his future, like those of several of his colleagues, could lie elsewhere.
    Alex McLeish's departure as manager did little to alleviate the situation and it appears that one of new boss Chris Hughton's first duties will be to sanction his departure to the Stadium of Light.
    Hughton admitted as he was unveiled earlier this week that he was expecting several of his high-profile players to go, and much as he had to when he took over at Newcastle, he may have to wait to discover which men he can retain before he can plot the way forward.
    Bruce turned his attention to Gardner after selling England international Jordan Henderson to Liverpool in a move worth almost 20million, and with Bolo Zenden and Sulley Muntari having also left the club, he has a rebuilding job to do in midfield.
    He has already landed former City winger Sebastian Larsson who, like Coventry goalkeeper Keiren Westwood, will formally complete a Bosman free transfer on July 1.
    However, a successful swoop for Gardner would represent a signal of intent as he steps up his efforts to strengthen the squad which managed a 10th-placed finish last season.

Uploads

Izaguirre - claims Old Trafford interest.
    IZAGUIRRE CLAIMS OLD TRAFFORD INTEREST

Celtic full-back Emilio Izaguirre claims he is wanted by Manchester United and that Sir Alex Ferguson has previously been in touch with the SPL club.
    Izaguirre joined the Bhoys last summer and enjoyed an impressive debut season in the SPL which culminated in the Honduras international scooping the player of the year awards.
    He was recently linked with United's arch-rivals Liverpool and revealed he was 'flattered' by the interest being shown by the Anfield club.
    However, he now says that Premier League champions United were keen on a deal in January before Patrice Evra signed a new contract and are set to hold further talks with Celtic next month.
    "I am aware that Manchester United and Celtic agreed for a meeting in July," said Izaguirre in Honduras. "We have to see what happens if I stay or I go.
    "I have to confirm it's 100% true that Manchester United were following me and were interested in me in January.
    "It was Alex Ferguson directly who made contact with the Celtic directors.
    "I think it was the time when they didn't close the negotiations with Patrice Evra. As far as I am aware Celtic refused to sell me as we were concentrating on the league.
    "Regarding possibilities, I prefer to stay silent as I did when Celtic signed me. This is a job of my agent.
    "If I have the chance I welcome the move with open arms. If that is the case I will thank God and I will take my opportunity."
    Celtic boss Neil Lennon, meanwhile, insists there has been no approach for Izaguirre or Israel midfielder Beram Kayal.
    Lennon said in the Daily Record: "You're always going to get speculation about your best players. I understand that.
    "But there's been no interest expressed in Beram or Emilio and I've had no one on the telephone enquiring about any other player if it comes to that.
    "Every player has his price but I'm not prepared to sell my better ones and Emilio certainly comes into that category."

Uploads

Barnes - available on free transfer.
    FOREST PONDER BARNES DEAL

Nottingham Forest manager Steve McClaren has confirmed his interest in former Derby County and West Brom midfielder Giles Barnes.
    The 22-year-old is available on a free transfer after being released by Premier League side West Brom at the end of last season.
    Barnes spent just under 18 months at The Hawthorns, but the majority of his appearances were as a substitute and he started only once in the Premier League.
    However, he was highly rated during his time at Derby and started out as a trainee with Forest before joining the club's local rivals.
    Recently appointed Forest boss McClaren has spoken to Barnes and suggested he may be ready to take a chance on a player who has struggled with injury since initially breaking into the Derby side.
    "We've spoken with Giles - he's a player who this area knows very well," said McClaren.
    "He's a young talent, he's still 22 but seems to have been around for years.
    "He's had bad injuries and maybe needs a chance and who knows, we may give him that."

Uploads

Cisse - wanted by Blackburn.
    ROVERS STEP UP CISSE BID

Blackburn Rovers have stepped up their interest in Papiss Cisse by making a fresh bid for the striker.
    The Senegalese forward had a sensational season in Germany last year, finishing as second top scorer in the Bundesliga.
    The 26-year-old is understood to have been in England this week to hold talks with Rovers as Freiburg accept their star man is set to leave.
    But the German club insist that they will not accept anything less than 15million for him.
    Rovers lodged a bid back in May, but that is believed to have been half of what Freiburg wanted, now Steve Kean has returned and upped his offer which, if accepted, would break the club's transfer record.
    However, there is strong interest in Cisse, particularly from Eastern Europe with Dynamo Kiev, Lokomotiv Moscow and Zenit St Petersburg all keen and the wages on offer in Russia and Ukraine could hamper Blackburn's bid.
    Arsenal, Liverpool and Fulham are also thought to have been keeping tabs on Cisse in recent months.
    Rovers are looking to bolster their attacking options, and have also been closely linked with Roma's Mirko Vucinic.
    His agent admits to have been in England for talks, but a move within Serie A looks more likely with Juventus strongly linked.
    Vucinic's agent Alessandro Lucci said: "I've been to England to take stock of the situation.
    "The interest of English clubs in him goes back some time.
    "But I've also had meetings with Juventus, where we talked about many players and they asked for information on Vucinic."
    Blackburn are also keeping tabs on the situation of former star Roque Santa Cruz at Manchester City after he spent the latter part of last season back on loan at Ewood Park.

Uploads

Priskin - loan move centre of dispute.
    SWANSEA CHIEF SEEKS IPSWICH TALKS
    Click here for our special Transfer Centre!
    Click here for more football headlines!

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins will meet with Ipswich next week after Town reported his club to the Premier League for alleged non-payment of invoices.
    Jenkins said he was unaware of any dispute with Ipswich and has vowed to discuss the matter with their chief executive Simon Clegg next week after he asked the Premier League to impose a transfer embargo on the top-flight newcomers in relation to payments Ipswich allege are due following Tamas Priskin's recent loan spell.
    Clegg claimed on Friday night the Swans had reneged on a deal relating to the payment of Priskin's wages while he was on loan last season and subsequent add-ons as a result of their promotion.
    The Premier League confirmed they had received the Tractor Boys' complaint and said in a statement on Friday night: "Ipswich Town contacted the Premier League today and we will refer this to our Board at the first opportunity."
    Jenkins, though, told swanseacity.net: "In response to Ipswich Town's statement, as a club we are completely unaware of any dispute with Ipswich.
    "Myself and Simon Clegg talked a few weeks ago regarding the situation of Tamas Priskin returning early from his loan spell, but there has been no correspondence since.
    "While we are surprised and disappointed with Simon's statement, we will address the situation and speak to him and Ipswich early next week."
    Earlier, Clegg said: "I am hugely disappointed a legally-binding agreement reached in good faith by both clubs as part of Swansea's final push for promotion is now being disputed."
    Ipswich claim the loan agreement made provision for Swansea to pay for Priskin's wages up to May 31 even though he was injured on April 22.
    They also say the contract provided for "cumulative payments for each stage of the play-off competition".
    Clegg added: "I am genuinely delighted for Swansea and their fans but the attempted renegotiation and deliberate misinterpretation of agreed terms by their chairman (Jenkins) is not fitting for a club which has just secured the ultimate prize in Championship football and its 90million windfall.
    "Tamas arrived in Swansea fit and became injured while under their care - that's football but contracts have to be honoured and I have absolutely no interest in renegotiating this agreement.
    "As a result of Swansea refusing to pay our invoices I have reported them to the Premier League, sought an immediate transfer embargo and am now seeking full payment of all outstanding sums with the agreed contractual interest rate of five per cent above base."
    The Premier League were not immediately available for comment.

Uploads

O'Connor - keen for boss to stay.
    O'CONNOR HOPES CALDERWOOD STAYS

Garry O'Connor hopes Hibernian manager Colin Calderwood will reject any possible overtures from the striker's old club Birmingham to remain at Easter Road.
    The Hibs boss is the subject of speculation suggesting he will move to St Andrew's as Chris Hughton's assistant after the duo had a successful spell at Newcastle.
    But O'Connor, who this month returned to Easter Road after spells at Lokomotiv Moscow, Birmingham and Barnsley, has pleaded for Calderwood to stay.
    The 28-year-old striker said: "I hope the gaffer stays here. He's what this club needs.
    "He's a fantastic coach and he's brilliant with the players.
    "I'm looking forward to working with him and hopefully I can continue to work with him."
    Calderwood on Friday gave no guarantees he would be remaining in position at Easter Road.
    Calderwood said: "I can't sit here and say categorically there's nothing that would excite me elsewhere.
    "You must always be aware of other options and other chances.
    "There's lots of personal things that do have an implication on any decision. But my job at the minute is to be here."
    Hibs this week issued a statement after Calderwood was linked with a switch to former club Nottingham Forest as assistant to Steve McClaren, saying no approach had been received and one would not be welcome. No approach has been received from Birmingham, either.
    O'Connor is facing drug offence charges after allegedly being caught with cocaine.
    The 28-year-old was detained by police after an alleged incident in Edinburgh in May and was released pending further examination. But yesterday police confirmed he had been charged with drug offences and that a report had been sent to the procurator fiscal.
    A spokesman for the club said they did not wish to comment on the case.
    O'Connor is expected to appear at Edinburgh Sheriff Court at a later date.

Uploads

Park Ji-sung - linked with Juventus.
    JUVENTUS DENY PARK INTEREST

Juventus general director Giuseppe Marotta has denied that the club have an interest in signing Manchester United midfielder Park Ji-sung.
    The 30-year-old, who is out of contract at Old Trafford at the end of next season, moved to dispel speculation regarding his future by admitting that he wanted to stay at Old Trafford earlier this week.
    It was widely reported on Friday that the Bianconeri were ready to table a bid for the experienced winger, but Marotta was quick to dispel those rumours.
    He told Sky Sport Italia: "No, we're not interested in Park.
    "We will sign a quality player in attack, certainly a top striker. We already have a world class addition to our midfield with Andrea Pirlo."
    Juve have been linked with summer moves for Atletico Madrid star Sergio Aguero and Villarreal striker Giuseppe Rossi and Marotta admitted interest in the duo.
    He added: "Both players are talented and capable of making a difference.
    "They do match up with the profile of the kind of player we are looking for."

Uploads

Alex McLeish - former Birmingham manager.
    BIRMINGHAM QUASH TRANSFER REPORTS

The board of Birmingham have reacted angrily to reports suggesting they interfered in the transfer policy of former boss Alex McLeish.
    Blues have issued a new statement insisting they operate a "robust system" under which every completed transfer is signed off by the manager.
    The club claim in the statement by way of example that interest in players such as former Liverpool striker Ryan Babel, who is now in Germany with Hoffenheim, Peter Odemwingie, the Nigerian forward who plays for West Brom, and Stoke winger Jermaine Pennant was not followed up because McLeish did not want to sign them.
    The Scot resigned from his role with Birmingham earlier this month before joining bitter rivals Aston Villa.
    Birmingham are involved in a legal dispute over McLeish's exit and subsequent arrival at Villa, while the Scot has claimed he did not have a free hand in transfer dealings and that the dismissal of the club's chief scout Paul Montgomery contributed to his decision to resign.
    The statement from Birmingham read: "The club is disturbed and very concerned with the recent reporting by selective, and we believe agenda-led, reporters suggesting that the Birmingham City board had interfered with the previous manager in the transfer market. That is factually incorrect and the club did, on June 14, 2011, release a statement stating our position.
    "It is reiterated very strongly that there is a robust system in place whereby only players with the written authorisation of the manager had ever arrived at the club under the previous manager and will still be the case going forward.
    "Players recommended by the board, such as, Babel, Odemwingie, Pennant and a Chinese player, for commercial reasons, didn't arrive as no approval was forthcoming from the manager.
    "Players such as (Fulham forward Mousa) Dembele chose not to come and (Wigan winger Charles) N'Zogbia due to his sudden demand for a last-minute increase in wages.
    "In the case of (Bobby) Zamora, it was felt there had been quite a few injuries and anyway he signed a massive new contract at Fulham due to our approach.
    "As the legal dispute is ongoing, it is appropriate that this myth of interference is put to rest once and for all."

Uploads

Bougherra - happy at Rangers.
    BOUGHERRA WANTS RANGERS STAY

Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra insists that he has no intention of leaving Ibrox this summer.
    The 28-year-old former Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton player has been recently linked with a move to Swiss side Neuchatel Xamax.
    The Algeria international still has a year to run on his current deal and is willing to remain at the SPL champions for the final year of his contract.
    It had been reported that new Rangers owner Craig Whyte was ready to allow Bougherra to leave the Gers after insisting Allan McGregor and Steven Davis are not for sale.
    But the player told the Daily Record: "I have not negotiated with any club.
    "I am on holiday with my family and there has been no offers for me.
    "I will be back early next month for pre-season training with Rangers."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast