Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 26-06-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 26-06-11

Latest Transfer Update at 26-06-11

Gael Clichy - linked with Arsenal exit.
    WENGER WANTS CLICHY TO STAY

Arsene Wenger claims Arsenal are doing all they can to keep Gael Clichy at the Emirates Stadium.
    The French full-back has been linked with a number of clubs this summer, with it reported that he is keen to take on a new challenge.
    Serie A giants Roma are believed to be heading the queue for his signature, with Liverpool also in the hunt.
    Wenger has commented on the issue before, making it clear that the Gunners would be reluctant to do business with a Premier League rival.
    He has, however, now revealed that Arsenal are in talks with the defender regarding his future.
    They hope the 25-year-old can be persuaded to stay on and pen an extension to his current contract, which is due to expire next year.
    "We have started talks with Gael and want him to stay," said Wenger.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 26-06-11

Villas-Boas - has to win over the big names.
    WILKINS: BIG-NAMES KEY TO CHELSEA

Ray Wilkins says Andre Villas-Boas' biggest challenge as Chelsea manager will be to win over some of the high-profile names in the Stamford Bridge dressing room.
    The 33-year-old Portuguese was appointed as Carlo Ancelotti's successor earlier this week, having left Porto following a trophy-laden season that included Europa League glory.
    Villas-Boas previously worked for the Blues when Jose Mourinho was in charge, but Wilkins, who was Ancelotti's assistant until he was sacked last November, feels the new man will still need to prove himself to established stars such as John Terry, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba.
    Wilkins told BBC Five Live: "He is a young man who has done exceptionally well but it is a massive test coming in at Chelsea as they have big players and big personalities in there as well.
    "Has he worked with players of the experience, quality and personality of some of the guys there at Stamford Bridge?
    "It will be interesting to see how he handles it. If he can, and I believe he is a decent guy, I don't see him having a problem."
    Former England midfielder Wilkins thinks previous experience of working under Mourinho will give Villas-Boas a base to build from in his own tenure as manager.
    "His training drills will be organised, he has worked with Mourinho and the players were well into the Mourinho philosophy and he will know what the players require," he said.
    "The bigger challenge will be when the games start and whether he can respond to the tactical situations he finds himself in.
    "He knows what it's about from within the club and he will run the footballing side. It's a wonderful league because no two games are the same and I'm sure he'll enjoy that."
    Wilkins also expressed his surprise that Guus Hiddink, who enjoyed a successful spell as Blues boss towards the end of the 2008-09 season, now appears unlikely to take up a director of football role at the club after initially being strongly linked with the managerial vacancy.
    "I don't see that (Hiddink being appointed as director of football). They may do that from within the club structure. It's gone quiet on Guus but I think he would have been the perfect choice."
    It has been reported that Hiddink's return to the club faltered because the Dutchman wanted to reappoint Wilkins to the back-room staff.

Uploads

Cannavaro - open to offers from England.
    CANNAVARO OPEN TO OFFERS

Fabio Cannavaro has no plans to slip into retirement just yet and is being linked with a move to England.
    The 37-year-old defender is available on a free transfer after being released by Dubai-based outfit Al-Ahli.
    It had been suggested that he was ready to hang up his boots and turn his hand to coaching, following a glittering career at the top.
    The World Cup winner believes he can continue competing at the highest level, though, and is preparing to return to Europe.
    Reports suggest the former Juventus and Real Madrid centre-half could be lured to England.
    Premier League new boys Queens Park Rangers have been touted as one possible destination, and Cannavaro has yet to distance himself from the speculation.
    He is yet to announce what his intentions are for this summer, but he has made it clear that he will not be slipping out of the spotlight.
    "I have not yet decided when I will retire," he said when pressed on his future.

Uploads

Hazard - not for sale despite interest.
    HAZARD SET TO STAY AT LILLE

Lille believe Eden Hazard will remain in France, despite seeing interest mount in the Belgian starlet.
    The highly-rated playmaker has been generating transfer speculation for some time now, with it widely expected that he would be on the move this summer.
    Various clubs from across Europe have been keeping a close eye on the 20-year-old forward and his situation in France.
    There have, however, been no formal bids lodged, with the likes of Paris St Germain, Manchester City, Liverpool and Arsenal yet to make their move.
    Lille hope that will remain the case, with it their intention to retain Hazard's services for at least one more season.
    "Eden's not for sale," Lille general manager Frederic Paquet told RMC.
    "We can't let one of our best players leave.
    "He'll be with us next season."
    Having landed the Ligue 1 title last season, Lille hope UEFA Champions League football will help to convince Hazard that he should remain at the club for another 12 months.

Uploads

Redknapp - needs to sell 'four of five players'.
    REDKNAPP NEEDS TO SELL PLAYERS

Harry Redknapp admits he will have to offload a number of players before he can spend this summer.
    The Tottenham boss is working with one of the Premier League's biggest squads, meaning his hands are tied in the transfer market.
    He has been informed by the club's board that any moves for further fresh faces will need to be funded by sales.
    With Spurs looking to break back into the top four in 2011/12 and secure Champions League football once more, it is expected that they will look to bring in new recruits.
    There will, however, be plenty of movement towards the White Hart Lane exits before any arrivals are welcomed on board.
    Redknapp said: "There is nothing happening in the transfer market.
    "I need to sell four or five players to bring in funds.
    "The chairman has made it clear we need to move a few players before we can start doing any business.
    "I keep seeing us linked with this player and that, but unless we reduce our squad numbers we will stay quiet in the market."

Uploads

Fabricio Coloccini - happy at Newcastle.
    COLOCCINI HAPPY AT NEWCASTLE

Fabricio Coloccini has reiterated his commitment to Newcastle.
    The Argentinian defender, signed from Deportivo La Coruna in 2008, had been linked with a return to Spain with Sevilla.
    But the 29-year-old, who still has two years on his contract, insists he has no intention of leaving St James' Park this summer.
    "Now it is about the future at Newcastle and working towards next season," he said.
    "Our first aim was to be safe last season and we achieved it. Next season we will look to move up the table again."
    Although Newcastle suffered relegation in his first season on Tyneside, Coloccini helped them win promotion back into the Premier League before finishing 12th last season.
    And having got to grips with the top flight again, the centre-half is confident the Magpies can re-establish themselves as a top-half team.
    "We work well together as a team and I think that showed when it mattered last season," added Coloccini, who has been left out of Argentina's Copa America squad.
    "Hopefully we can get better results at home, win more matches than last year and climb up the table.
    "I am happy at Newcastle and when I hear the fans singing my name it gives me a special feeling."

Uploads

Mirko Vucinic - not set for Blackburn move.
    VUCINIC AGENT REJECTS ROVERS LINK

Mirko Vucinic's agent has ruled the Roma striker out of a move to Blackburn, saying he deserves a "more prestigious" club.
    The 27-year-old has been linked with a move to the Barclays Premier League and to Roma's Serie A rivals Juventus despite having two years remaining on his contract.
    But Ewood Park is not a potential destination for the Montenegro international, according to his representative.
    Alessandro Lucci told Sky Italia: "I have not heard anything. For now it's on standby because first we want to understand the intentions of Roma.
    "Blackburn talk is just a rumour. It is a respectable club but I think Mirko deserves a more prestigious club."
    On the possibility of a switch to Turin, Lucci insisted there had been no contact.
    "The two clubs have never spoken," he said.
    "I met with Juve, but also for other players. To date there have been no negotiations. Juve are a prestigious club, like Roma.
    "Vucinic will either remain in the capital, or will aim for a team of a similar level."
    Roma sporting director Walter Sabatini later admitted Vucinic's situation was still up in the air.
    He told TeleRadioStereo: "I tried to get him to think positively. He is very bitter. I remind everyone that Vucinic is a champion who has the technical ability only possessed by five or six players in Europe.
    "The affection of fans is required for all players, especially for someone like him because he feels this low esteem.
    "These are things that can be recovered with the help of Mirko. People have to tune into the psychology of the players, but players must also make their contribution."
    Vucinic hit 10 Serie A goals for the Giallorossi last season but the team missed out on a return to the Champions League after finishing sixth.
    Sabatini added: "If, on his holidays, Mirko finds the necessary serenity to be a Roma player he will make us win many games. If this does not happen, he will be a player on the market."

Uploads

Alexis Sanchez - could join Manchester City.
    MAN CITY LEAD ALEXIS SANCHEZ CHASE

Udinese owner Gianpaolo Pozzo claims Manchester City are the favourites to land Alexis Sanchez.
    It appeared the Premier League outfit had been overtaken in the race for the Chilean's signature by Barcelona.
    Udinese, though, believe the Blues are the club most likely to put together a package capable of landing the highly-rated 22-year-old.
    At the moment, City are reluctant to meet Sanchez's 44million valuation, with Roberto Mancini hoping to strike a deal closer to 30million.
    Udinese are prepared to stand firm in the transfer market and ensure that they get the best possible price, but Pozzo concedes that there is little the Serie A outfit can do if City present a suitable offer.
    He said: "If he was to leave, I would say that City have the highest probability of success."
    Should City make their move, they will hope to have an agreement in place by the time Sanchez takes in his first game for Chile at the Copa America on July 4.

Uploads

Guus Hiddink - linked with Chelsea job.
    AGENT: CHELSEA WANTED HIDDINK BACK

Guus Hiddink's agent has claimed that the Dutchman was always Chelsea's first choice to succeed Carlo Ancelotti.
    Former Porto boss Andre Villas-Boas was appointed as the new manager at Stamford Bridge last week after the Blues met his 13.3m release clause.
    But Cees van Nieuwenhuzen, Hiddink's agent, claims that his representative was approached first by Roman Abramovic about a return to west London but refused to break his contract as boss of the Turkish national side.
    "Every now and then they talk, they (Hiddink and Abramovich) see each other, and Guus would say: 'I have a contract so it's no use considering a position for me at Chelsea.' I think Abramovich has respected that position," said Van Nieuwenhuizen in the Observer.
    "When he signed with Turkey he realised he would be in this position in principle through at least to the European Championship, so he's a professional.
    "(Inter president) Massimo Moratti also mentioned last week that he wanted Guus Hiddink. And Guus has already been connected in the past a couple of times, related to big clubs, not only Chelsea."

Uploads

Gael Clichy - linked with Arsenal exit.

WENGER WANTS CLICHY TO STAY

Arsene Wenger claims Arsenal are doing all they can to keep Gael Clichy at the Emirates Stadium.
    The French full-back has been linked with a number of clubs this summer, with it reported that he is keen to take on a new challenge.
    Serie A giants Roma are believed to be heading the queue for his signature, with Liverpool also in the hunt.
    Wenger has commented on the issue before, making it clear that the Gunners would be reluctant to do business with a Premier League rival.
    He has, however, now revealed that Arsenal are in talks with the defender regarding his future.
    They hope the 25-year-old can be persuaded to stay on and pen an extension to his current contract, which is due to expire next year.
    "We have started talks with Gael and want him to stay," said Wenger.