Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 28-06-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 28-06-11

Latest Transfer Update at 28-06-11

Drogba - Marseille paving way for his return.
    MARSEILLE STILL KEEN ON DROGBA

Marseille president Vincent Labrune has suggested finances could dictate whether the club try to re-sign Chelsea striker Didier Drogba.
    The 33-year-old has enjoyed a glittering career in the Premier League since joining Chelsea in 2004 after just one season at Marseille.
    Drogba has previously refused to rule out a return to Stade Velodrome towards the end of his career and he has just one year remaining on his contract at Stamford Bridge.
    Reports suggest his future at Chelsea next season is uncertain as new manager Andre Villa-Boas looks to put his own stamp on the squad after replacing Carlo Ancelotti.
    l'OM would be keen to have Drogba back at the club, but Labrune admits players would have to be sold in order to accommodate the Ivory Coast forward.
    "The question is whether in terms of salary, I do not mean the transfer, Marseille have the means for four years to pay Didier Drogba," Labrune told La Provence.
    "I answer 'yes'. But we cannot afford 11 Didier Drogbas.
    "So is it possible? Yes, but in the case of departures."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 28-06-11

Gardner - set for Premier League return.
    GARDNER DEAL TO BE DONE IN 24 HOURS

Craig Gardner is set to end his 18-month spell with Birmingham in the next 24 hours and complete a 5million move to Sunderland, Press Association Sport understands.
    Birmingham fan Gardner admitted it was "a dream come true" when he made the move from local rivals Aston Villa to St Andrew's during the January 2010 transfer window in a 3million deal.
    He celebrated by finishing as leading scorer with 10 goals in his only full campaign at Blues and helped them lift the Carling Cup.
    But Gardner's desire to play Barclays Premier League football, plus City's wish to reduce their wage bill after being relegated, will lead to a parting of the days.
    It is understood Gardner is one of the City players who did not have a clause in his contract which would lead to his salary being reduced following relegation.
    Sunderland are looking to bolster their midfield options after selling Jordan Henderson to Liverpool for a fee which could rise to 19.25million.
    Meanwhile 19-year-old Birmingham midfielder Ashley Sammons, who made his debut in the Carling Cup two years ago, has signed a new one-year contract.

Uploads

Wanyama - 'excited' by Celtic move.
    CELTIC CLOSE ON VICTOR WANYAMA

Celtic are close to completing the signing of midfielder Victor Wanyama from Belgian club Beerschot.
    The 20-year-old, who Celtic tried to sign last summer, has agreed personal terms and a deal believed to be worth 1m could be signed off this week.
    He said: "I am extremely excited, Celtic is a legendary club.
    "I am looking forward to this, I have had a great time with Beerschot, and I look forward to the next chapter of my career at Celtic."
    The Kenyan is the brother of Inter Milan's McDonald Mariga, and made his international debut against Nigeria aged just 15.

Uploads

Savic - highly rated.

Manchester City are understood to have made a move for Partizan Belgrade starlet Stefan Savic.
    City have been linked after a string of defenders, and with Jerome Boateng looking likely to depart for Bayern Munich - Roberto Mancini will be looking for reinforcements.
    Bolton's Gary Cahill has been tipped to move to Eastlands, but Savic now appears to be at the top of their agenda.
    Serbian sources claim City have opened the bidding with a €7million offer for the 20-year-old stopper.
    But Partizan are believed to be looking for at least €10million for the Macedonian international, who is regarded as one of the best young defenders in Europe.
    Partizan's sporting director Mladen Krstajic, insisted that a deal had not yet been struck.
    "Savic is still here with us, so he had signed nothing yet," he told Blic.
    The Serbia media claim that Partizan would like to keep Savic for their Champions League qualifying campaign, through July and August - before letting him depart to England.
    Savic joined Partizan last summer, after previously spending time on trial at Arsenal, and although he would not automatically qualify for a work-permit - his huge potential would almost certainly see him granted a move should City finalise terms.

Uploads

Tasci - reportedly wanted by Spurs.
    SPURS WANT SERDAR TASCI - AGENT

Stuttgart defender Serdar Tasci's agent claims Tottenham Hotspur are among the clubs showing an interest in the Germany international.
    Tasci was linked with a move to White Hart Lane last summer and reports are suggesting Harry Redknapp retains an interest in the 24-year-old.
    Redknapp is rumoured to be in the market for a new centre-half ahead of next season and has been heavily linked with a swoop for Bolton Wanderers defender Gary Cahill.
    However, Tasci could also be an option for Redknapp amid suggestions he is ready to quit Stuttgart following the club's disappointing last season in the Bundesliga.
    He is rated in the 12million bracket and is also wanted by the likes of Juventus, Lazio and Malaga, having been linked with Spurs' arch rivals Arsenal 12 months ago.
    His representative Maurizio Gaudino revealed there has been further Premier League interest, but says no talks have taken place with Stuttgart.
    "Tottenham and two other English clubs are keen on Serdar," said Gaudino in The Sun.
    "No discussions are yet under way, but it's down to the interested clubs to speak with Stuttgart and myself."

Uploads

Craddock - can concentrate on next season.
    JODY CRADDOCK SIGNS NEW WOLVES DEAL

Wolves veteran defender Jody Craddock has signed a new one-year contract - and is ready to fight for his place next season.
    The 35-year-old was offered a new deal after helping Wolves to survive in the Barclays Premier League for a third successive season and has finally put pen to paper.
    Craddock knows he will face competition for his spot with Reading centre-back Matt Mills among Wolves manager Mick McCarthy's potential targets but is prepared to battle.
    He said: "It's good news that the contract is all done and dusted and I can concentrate on the year ahead.
    This time last year I was thinking it would be my last season so to get another 12 months is a big achievement."
    Craddock added: "There may be competition but it's never a problem for me when a new centre-half comes in.
    "It's all about what benefits the club. If I have to scrap it out with another centre-half, so be it.
    "I just need to give myself the best opportunity to be involved at the start of the season."
    Craddock was Wolves' player of the year for the 2009-2010 campaign but injury problems meant he missed most of last season before returning for the finale of the fight to stay up.

Uploads

David de Gea - Manchester United medical.
    MAN UNITED MEDICAL FOR DAVID DE GEA

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has wasted little time in setting about his task of rebuilding his squad with a third summer signing - Atletico Madrid goalkeeper David de Gea - likely to be confirmed in the next 24 hours.
    Having brought in Blackburn's England Under-21 Phil Jones to add depth to his defence and Aston Villa's Ashley Young to bring more attacking impetus to midfield, the Red Devils boss is arguably on the verge of completing the most key signing.
    De Gea, a European Championship winner with Spain's Under-21s on Saturday, is the man chosen to fill the void left by veteran Edwin van der Sar's retirement and Press Association Sport understands he had a medical in Manchester on Monday.
    The expected completion of the 20-year-old's transfer, for a reported 17million, will push Ferguson's spending in June close to 50million.
    The Scot's recruitment of goalkeepers has not always been the best, with some notable outstanding successes but plenty of signings who have very quickly fallen by the wayside.
    Having failed early on with Jim Leighton, Mark Bosnich and Les Sealey, he recruited Peter Schmeichel from Brondby for 550,000 in 1991 and the Denmark international went on to become one of the club's greatest goalkeepers and certainly the best of the Premier League era.
    However, the search for his replacement began in 1996 and did not find someone worthy of being placed in the same bracket as Schmeichel until Van der Sar was recruited from Fulham nine years later.
    In that time the likes of Tony Coton, Raimond van der Gouw, Massimo Taibi, Fabien Barthez, Roy Carroll, Ricardo, Tim Howard and Ben Foster were all recruited but failed to deliver the consistency Ferguson was hoping for.
    The arrival of De Gea adds instant quality with the promise of the realisation of greater potential.
    Such is the Spaniard's reputation that compatriot and Liverpool goalkeeper Jose Reina, who seems likely to face De Gea when the north-west rivals clash at Anfield on October 15, reacted positively to the player's move.
    "I very much welcome this news because David is a great keeper," he told La Gaceta.
    "When it becomes official he is going to start working to prove in the Premier League what a good goalkeeper he is."
    Following the retirements of Van der Sar, Paul Scholes and Gary Neville from last season Ferguson has moved quickly to strengthen in three areas, bringing in players who all - in theory - should have their best years ahead of them.
    The Red Devils boss is believed to want to add more creativity to his midfield and has been linked with Inter Milan's Wesley Sneijder and Arsenal's Samir Nasri.

Uploads

Reina - no Atletico Madrid move.

Liverpool goalkeeper Jose Reina has moved quickly to quickly reject rumours linking him with a move to Atletico Madrid.
    The Spanish outfit are set to find themselves without a first-choice goalkeeper once David de Gea completes his proposed move to Manchester United.
    The youngster arrived in England on Monday to undergo a medical and is close to putting the finishing touches to a big-money transfer.
    Speculation has already begun to circulate regarding who may be drafted in by Atletico as his replacement.
    Liverpool number one Reina has been touted as a possible candidate, after spending the last six years away from his homeland.
    The Reds ace has given short shrift to the rumours, though, by insisting that he remains fully committed to the Anfield cause.
    He told La Gaceta: "I know Atletico are looking for a goalkeeper, but I won't be changing colours.
    "I have a five-year contract and I'm happy at Liverpool."
    Reina will come into direct competition with De Gea next season and he believes the 20-year-old will be a resounding success at Old Trafford.
    He said: "I very much welcome this news because David is a great keeper.
    "When it becomes official he is going to start working to prove in the Premier League what a good goalkeeper he is."

Uploads

Alexander Doni - no Liverpool move.
    DONI NOT PREPARED TO TAKE PAY CUT

Roma goalkeeper Alexander Doni has claimed he would have had to take a huge pay cut to join Liverpool.
    The two clubs reached an agreement over Doni's transfer earlier this month, but the 31-year-old turned down the offer to join the Barclays Premier League club.
    "I have only received an official offer from Liverpool," Doni told Italian newspaper Il Tempo. "But I could not accept those conditions.
    "I would have had my salary cut by 60 per cent.
    "After signing a five-year contract extension with Roma in 2008 and having given a knee for Roma's cause, I am unwilling to give away money."
    Doni joined Roma in 2005 from Brazilian side Juventude and had knee surgery two years ago.
    The South American has been an understudy to Julio Sergio in recent seasons, and made 16 league appearances for Roma this term.

Uploads

Wenger - keen to bolster squad.
    WENGER SEEKS TO MAKE ADDITIONS

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger will step up his summer recruitment drive ahead of the start of pre-season training next week, but reported target Juan Mata insists he is happy at Valencia.
    The Gunners have so far only confirmed the arrival of promising young defender Carl Jenkinson in a 1million deal from Charlton.
    However, Wenger is keen to further bolster a squad which again failed to deliver a trophy last season, imploding on all fronts after a shock defeat to Birmingham in the Carling Cup final at Wembley.
    Arsenal are expected to push through a deal for Bolton's England defender Gary Cahill, with unsettled Denmark striker Nicklas Bendtner a possible makeweight to help match differing valuations.
    Lille suggest Arsenal are yet to formalise their interest in 10m-rated Ivory Coast forward Gervinho, whose preferred destination is the Emirates Stadium, and Argentina youngster Ricky Alvarez is another on Wenger's radar along with Bayer Leverkusen's Chile midfielder Arturo Vidal.
    The addition of Southampton starlet Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is expected to be confirmed at the start of July ahead of Arsenal's Far East tour, which will include games in Malaysia and China.
    However, Spain midfielder Mata maintains his only focus is on achieving more success at Valencia rather than making a 20million move to the Gunners.
    The 23-year-old is planning to take some time off after helping the Under-21s win their European Championship in Denmark.
    He told SuperDeporte: "I just want to disconnect. I am not thinking about my future at the moment.
    "My contract runs until 2015 and let's hope my next trophy is with Valencia."
    Arsenal, meanwhile, have yet to make any official comment, as they did last summer, on the continued speculation over whether captain Cesc Fabregas will return to boyhood club Barcelona.
    The Premier League side are understood to have rejected one cut-price 27million offer, but the European champions are expected to return with an improved deal - offering a player exchange as a sweetener - for the Spain midfielder, who has appeared disenchanted with life at Emirates Stadium following another campaign which promised much but failed to deliver.
    Should Wenger, however reluctantly, finally allow Fabregas to leave, that could pave the way for Samir Nasri to pen a new long-term deal and take over in his preferred playmaker role at the heart of the Gunners side next season.
    Full-back Gael Clichy is also out of contract next summer, with Liverpool and Roma possible destinations should the Frenchman decide to move on.
    While keen to bring in fresh talent, Wenger will also look to sell some of Arsenal's underperforming fringe players, with AC Milan said to be ready to offer Brazilian midfielder Denilson an exit strategy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast