Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 03-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 03-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 03-07-11

Ronaldo - no plans to leave Real.
    RONALDO VOWS TO STAY AT REAL

Cristiano Ronaldo was willing to consider a move to Manchester City, but will not leave Real Madrid while Jose Mourinho remains in charge.
    The Portuguese winger was the subject of reported interest from free-spending City earlier this summer, with record-breaking transfer fees and bumper pay packets discussed.
    Ronaldo responded to the rumours by hinting that he could be tempted back to England if the price was right.
    He has, however, sought to play down any chance of that happening this year by insisting that he will not leave the Santiago Bernabeu while countryman Mourinho is overseeing events in the Spanish capital.
    Ronaldo said in the Sunday Mirror: "It's flattering to be offered 20million a year - it's very good, but I spoke to my agent and I think it's better to stay in Madrid because this year we're going to be the best. This season we are going to be a big force.
    "Jose Mourinho is staying at Madrid so I stay.
    "If he went to Chelsea then I would have left. I would have gone to Manchester City. But now he's staying, I'm staying."
    While his immediate future remains in Madrid, Ronaldo has revealed that he does intend to take in a second spell in the Premier League.
    Having enjoyed a successful six-year stint with Manchester United between 2003 and 2009, he admits he would welcome the opportunity to return at some stage in his career.
    "I think if I went from Spain it would be to the Premier League - but not now," he said.
    "First we have to win the Champions League.
    "If I went back to the Premier League it would be with a club in the North West. I don't like London."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 03-07-11

Tevez - swap deal came to nothing.
    TEVEZ WON'T BE SWAPPED FOR ETO'O

Roberto Mancini plans to keep Carlos Tevez after seeing a proposed swap deal involving Samuel Eto'o come to nothing.
    The future of Manchester City's talismanic skipper has been a subject of contention for some time, with a transfer request having been handed in by the Argentine last season.
    It was eventually retracted, but speculation suggesting Tevez will soon be on his way out of Eastlands has continued to rage.
    A switch to Italy has been widely touted, with Inter Milan admitting to holding an interest in the fiery South American.
    City have done all they can to persuade Tevez to stay, but could be tempted into a deal if the conditions are right.
    An exchange for Inter frontman Eto'o would have been acceptable to the Blues, as they would not have been left short in the goalscoring department.
    Inter, though, are reluctant to part with the Cameroonian hit-man, even if Tevez could be drafted in as a replacement.
    With the situation at gridlock, Mancini admits he is now expecting Tevez to stick around at City for the forthcoming campaign.
    "Tevez will stay," said the Italian tactician.
    "He is a fantastic player.
    "There was talk of an exchange with Eto'o, but Inter did not want to sell."

Uploads

Lukaku - will cost Chelsea hefty fee.
    CHELSEA WARNED OVER LUKAKU

Anderlecht understand that Chelsea still want Romelu Lukaku despite the change of manager at Stamford Bridge, but have told the Blues to make a decent offer.
    The 18-year-old striker, who has already been capped at senior international level by Belgium and is regarded as an extremely bright prospect for the future, looked set to join Chelsea earlier in the summer.
    A deal did not materialise as quickly as expected and some reports have claimed that new boss Andre Villas-Boas is less keen to bring in the teenager.
    Anderlecht insist Villas-Boas is a fan of Lukaku but are determined to get a fair price and are thought to value their prize asset at around 20million.
    Director of football Herman van Holsbeeck said: "People say the new Chelsea manager doesn't want Lukaku - but they have different information to me.
    "But we will only sell him if it is good for both ourselves and the player.
    "We want serious money for him."
    Anderlecht president Roger Vanden Stock maintains that Chelsea have not yet made a formal offer and may have to wait until next summer unless they step up their interest.
    "Lukaku says Chelsea are the club for him, so they will probably be the club he joins," said Vanden Stock.
    "But they have not yet put their money on the table. They want him for as little as possible.
    "We'll see what happens. He will go to England in the end, but it is fine if he stays another year with us."

Uploads

Mancini - hoping City can shine in Europe.
    MANCINI TO HONOUR CITY DEAL

Roberto Mancini plans to see out his contract at Manchester City, dashing any suggestion that he could return to Italy.
    Juventus continue to be linked with the Blues boss, with Mancini having revealed in the past that he would welcome the opportunity to work with his boyhood heroes at some stage in his career.
    He has, however, made it clear that he will not be heading to Turin any time soon, with his full focus locked on events at Eastlands.
    City have ambitions of dominating English and European football, and Mancini has every intention of leading them to the top of the pile.
    He still has two years left to run on his current contract and insists there is no chance of him breaking that agreement to take on a new challenge elsewhere.
    "I am now in England and I still have a two-year contract with City, where I have a good relationship with the owners," said Mancini.
    "Sheikh Mansour is close to us and follows us.
    "The Premier League is the best.
    "In Italy, the stadiums are empty and this makes me very sad."
    Making an impression in the 2011/12 UEFA Champions League is Mancini's priority at present, with City having qualified for Europe's premier club competition for the first time.
    He added: "I do not want it to be a guest appearance after qualifying on merit.
    "We want to be leaders in the competition."

Uploads

Schwarzer - settled at Fulham.
    SCHWARZER HAPPY AFTER ARSENAL SAGA

Mark Schwarzer is feeling happy at Fulham again, a year after seeing a dream move to Arsenal collapse.
    The Australian shot-stopper was the subject of prolonged interest from the Gunners last summer, with Arsene Wenger having identified him as his top keeping target.
    Fulham, though, stuck to their guns and refused to bow to the demands of their Premier League rivals.
    They were able to keep Schwarzer out of Arsenal's clutches and stood by him throughout the 2010/11 campaign.
    The 38-year-old admits it was difficult at time to keep his focus on the job in hand, having come so close to joining a club destined for the UEFA Champions League, but insists he has no complaints at still being part of the set-up at Craven Cottage.
    He said: "Was it a test for me? Without a doubt.
    "It is always a big test when there is speculation and an ongoing saga.
    "What you have to do is get your head down and do your job. I showed that I could do that.
    "I am an employee of Fulham and I have always said I love playing for this club."
    Schwarzer believes the Cottagers are a club heading in the right direction and admits he was surprised to see former boss Mark Hughes quit his managerial position in June.
    He said: "The chairman (Mohamed Al Fayed) has been 100 per cent supportive and the club wouldn't exist in the position it is in now without his rock solid backing.
    "It was a surprise when Mark Hughes left, but Martin Jol has had some big coaching positions and has slotted in easily."

Uploads

Barton - 'no benefit' in Championship move.
    BARTON WON'T DROP DOWN

Joey Barton has dismissed speculation suggesting he could leave Newcastle for a Championship club.
    The midfielder is entering the final 12 months of his contract at St James' Park after talks over a new deal broke down.
    Unless negotiations over an extension resume, Barton could either see out the next year before leaving Tyneside on a free transfer next summer, or leave during the current transfer window if Newcastle decide they want to cash in.
    He has been linked with a move to relegated West Ham, where he would be reunited with former team-mate Kevin Nolan and manager Sam Allardyce, who brought Barton to Newcastle in 2007.
    However, the 28-year-old maintains that he has no interest in playing for a second-tier club as he wants to test himself against the best in the business.
    "Contract negotiations not re-opened. Back to NUFC on Tuesday, Happy days," Barton wrote on Twitter.
    He added: "Why would I drop down a league when I can more than hold my own in the Premiership?
    "What benefit would it give me? None.
    "I play this game to play against the best week in, week out."

Uploads

Ahmedov - 'Arsenal are interested in me'.
    AHMEDOV CLAIMS ARSENAL INTEREST

Uzbekistan captain Odil Ahmedov claims Arsenal have expressed an interest in acquiring his services.
    The 23-year-old spent the 2010/11 campaign on loan at Russian outfit Anzhi Makhachkala from Pahktakor Tashkent.
    Having caught the eye in Eastern Europe, he believes he is now ready to test himself in one of the continent's top divisions.
    A switch to the Premier League would certainly appeal, with Uzbek football often overlooked.
    Ahmedov could help to break down those barriers, with the opportunity to turn out for Arsenal set to catapult him into the spotlight.
    He admits he would relish the chance to represent the Gunners and hopes something will come of the reported interest.
    He said: "Arsenal are interested in me and if I move to them, it will be a success for the whole of Uzbek football."

Uploads

Peter Beardsley - 'He is a bright, young talent'.
    MAGPIES COMPLETE ABEID DEAL

Newcastle have confirmed the signing of teenager Mehdi Abeid from French side Lens.
    The deal to bring the 18-year-old midfielder to the Barclays Premier League has been in place for some time, but the Magpies have now formalised the move on a five-year contract.
    Reserve team manager Peter Beardsley said: "We are delighted to bring Mehdi to the club.
    "He is a bright, young talent and we think he has an exciting future ahead of him.
    "After an impressive trial with us earlier in the year, I'm looking forward to working with Mehdi and developing his talent."