Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 04-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 04-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 04-07-11

Ashley Cole - not looking to leave.
    NO CHELSEA EXIT FOR ASHLEY COLE

Chelsea defender Ashley Cole has not thought about leaving the club this summer.
    His former manager Jose Mourinho, now in charge at Real Madrid, has been strongly linked with a move for the left-back.
    Cole says he is not thinking about leaving Stamford Bridge, although he admits in the past it was something he considered.
    "Never even thought about it," he told Sky Sports News when asked about a potential move to the Spanish capital.
    "I had issues before where I thought about it, but this season I have been fine, I have been on holiday so I have not read anything."
    Cole also underlined that Chelsea's players will be fully behind new manager Andre Villas-Boas and that his age - just 33 - is in no way an issue.
    "Age is just a number, he has experience of being at Porto, a big club," he said.
    "And hopefully he can bring that glory to Chelsea but I don't think the age thing is anything to worry about, I don't think the players think about that. He is our manager now and we have to go out and fight for him.
    "Whatever manager comes in we respect him, we are not kids, everyone thinks there are egos at Chelsea, but there aren't and we have to make Chelsea the squad of a few years ago and win trophies."
    Cole admits that winning the Champions League is an ambition he is still longing to fulfil.
    He added: "A lot of players' dreams are to win the Champions League final, I have played in two finals, but of course we want to win - but we want to win any trophy."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 04-07-11

Florent Malouda - expects to stay at Chelsea.
    MALOUDA WANTS TO STAY AT CHELSEA

Florent Malouda expects to stay at Chelsea under new manager Andre Villas-Boas and has reiterated his eagerness to extend his contract.
    The France international has made over 180 appearances for Chelsea since joining from Lyon in 2007 and is under contract for a further two seasons.
    He enjoyed an impressive first half to last term at Stamford Bridge, but has been linked with a summer exit, with the likes of AC Milan and Roma rumoured to be interested.
    However, the 31-year-old has again confirmed he is keen to extend his contract by a further year following the appointment of Villas-Boas as Carlo Ancelotti's successor.
    Malouda says Villas-Boas had a hand in his arrival at Chelsea during Jose Mourinho's reign as manager and is confident he is at the right club.
    "I have a contract that runs until 2013 in Chelsea," Malouda told France-Guyane newspaper.
    "My career plan is to play at a high level until at least 2014. My ambition is to continue until 2014 in Chelsea.
    "Since my arrival at Chelsea, I have had six coaches. At every transfer window we talk about my name.
    "The coach was part of Jose Mourinho's staff and worked with him in my recruitment.
    "This season I finished top scorer (for Chelsea) in the league, that means I'm getting better, it means perhaps also that I am in the right place."

Uploads

Pavel Pogrebnyak - Sunderland link.
    SUNDERLAND LINKED WITH POGREBNYAK

Pavel Pogrebnyak's agent has confirmed there is interest from the Premier League in the Stuttgart striker amid reports Sunderland are in talks to sign the 27-year-old.
    Sunderland boss Steve Bruce is anxious to improve his attacking options this summer and has already snapped up Connor Wickham and Ji Dong-yon.
    However, a more experienced forward may also be required at the Stadium of Light and the Black Cats have been linked with a bid for Pogrebnyak.
    The Russia international has spent the past two seasons with Stuttgart and has reportedly been wanted by Liverpool and Tottenham in the past.
    Reports in Germany over the weekend claimed Sunderland are keen to sign the 27-year-old and the forward's agent Oleg Artemov acknowledged there is interest from England.
    "For now, I cannot tell you anything," Artemov told Sports.ru in relation to the Sunderland link.
    "Let's leave this piece of news without any comments.
    "There really are some offers for Pogrebnyak, but today it's all still at the negotiation stage.
    "The interest from German and English clubs still exists. However, we haven't received any new offers."

Uploads

Leroy Lita - linked with Swansea.
    SWANSEA STILL WANT BORO DUO

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins remains hopeful of striking a deal with Middlesbrough for Marvin Emnes and Leroy Lita.
    Premier League new boys Swansea have seen bids rejected for the strike pair this summer as they look to bolster their attacking options.
    Emnes enjoyed a successful spell on loan at Swansea last season and manager Brendan Rodgers is keen to lure him back to the Liberty Stadium on a permanent basis.
    Despite Middlesbrough snubbing offers for Emnes and Lita, Jenkins insists the moves are not dead in the water.
    Jenkins has called for Swansea fans to be patient in the transfer market, but he is optimistic of further additions.
    "We had initial discussions with Middlesbrough a few weeks back but the figures quoted were a lot different from what we think the values are," Jenkins told the South Wales Evening Post.
    "Things can change in football, and things could change for Middlesbrough or for us.
    "All I would say is that at the moment, Brendan is talking to different people and I am talking to different people to see what is out there."

Uploads

Harry Kewell - move in doubt.
    A-LEAGUE DOUBT FOR KEWLL

Harry Kewell's proposed move to the A-League has been thrown into doubt after the player's agent revealed negotiations had broken down with the Football Federation of Australia.
    Bernie Mandic told radio station SEN on Monday that Kewell had agreed in principle to terms with both Melbourne Victory and Sydney FC and had been close to making a decision on his destination.
    But the 32-year-old's move is now in jeopardy after subsequent negotiations with the FFA broke down, with the Kewell camp's request for a percentage of increased profit from away matches the sticking point.
    Mandic also criticised corporate affairs manager Kyle Patterson for 'misleading' comments on the negotiations with Kewell over the weekend.
    With A-League clubs restricted by the confines of the salary cap, the FFA's complementary package to make Kewell the face of the competition is integral to the former Leeds and Liverpool forward's move to Australia.
    "The catalyst for this was some misleading comments from FFA's Kyle Patterson over the weekend regarding our negotiations with the FFA," Mandic said.
    "The long and the short of it is that at no point in time have we spoken with Mr Patterson about anything related to Harry coming back to Australia.
    "But, more importantly, as has been the case with all A-League clubs, we have never asked the FFA for any guaranteed income for Harry.
    "The FFA offered to assist in bringing Harry back to play in Australia and asked what it would cost to use Harry to market and promote the sport in partnership with the FFA.
    "We offered them a better deal than we have offered the A-League clubs: a 30-70 split of any additional gate revenue from the away games that Harry plays in.
    "If there are no more people coming to the away games that Harry plays in, Harry gets nothing.
    "But he is still happy to market and promote the sport.
    "Now this was not accepted by the FFA, which is fair enough. But it's disappointing then that a story gets placed in a paper."
    Mandic said Kewell was still 'happy to play in the A-League', and intimated that the ball remained in the FFA's court.
    "The most disappointing part of it is that we have actually just come to agreement both with Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory in principle and were in the final stages of Harry choosing his Australian destination," he said.
    "From our end, nothing has changed.
    "Harry is happy to play in the A-League but he will not doing it for any financial guarantees, whether from the FFA or anybody else. Hopefully this can happen down the track - if not this year, then next year or the year after."
    The FFA have since responded to Mandic's comments by reaffirming their support for any A-League club seeking to sign Kewell.
    "FFA has noted the public comments this morning by Harry's manager Bernie Mandic in relation to FFA's offer of support," said an FFA spokesman.
    "We are satisfied the offer of support by way of a marketing services agreement would be a responsible and prudent way to lift the profile and marketability of the Hyundai A-League and complement any contract Harry may sign with an individual club.
    "The fact remains that Harry Kewell would be a fabulous acquisition for any Hyundai A-League club and would be a great boost for the competition."

Uploads

Frank Arnesen - expects Pitroipa to leave.
    PITROIPA SET FOR RENNES SWITCH

Jonathan Pitroipa looks set to complete a move from Hamburg to Rennes in the next few days.
    The 25-year-old Burkina Faso midfielder flew from Germany to France over the weekend and will now discuss the terms of a move to the Brittany club, for a reported fee of 3.5million euros (3.16million).
    Hamburg sporting director Frank Arnesen told the Hamburger Morgenpost: "There are only a few things still to be resolved, but I hope that in the next two or three days we will have a decision. Jonathan can now meet with Rennes.
    "Jonathan came to us on a free transfer three years ago, now we will get some money for him. But we will be losing a good, talented player."
    Pitroipa featured in 26 of Hamburg's Bundesliga games last season, scoring twice, having joined them from Freiburg in 2008.

Uploads

Mathieu Valbuena - linked with Arsenal.
    ARSENAL YET TO BID FOR VALBUENA

Marseille have yet to receive a "concrete" offer from Arsenal or any other club for Mathieu Valbuena, according to Didier Deschamps.
    Arsene Wenger is reported to be considering the playmaker as a replacement for Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri, who both look set to leave the Emirates Stadium this summer.
    But Deschamps insists that there have been no official approaches for France international Valbuena, 26, during his time in charge at Stade Velodrome.
    The Marseille boss told La Provence of the stories relating to Arsenal: "That is just rumours.
    "For the two years I have been here, no concrete offer has ever arrived. That doesn't mean Mathieu is not a player of great value.
    "Considering our Champions League qualification, I believe the most important thing is to remain at Marseille."
    But Deschamps admits that Marseille could consider profitable bids at a time when the Ligue 1 club are aiming to cut their wage bill.
    He said: "However, if an attractive offer comes to the officials, I will probably be asked to think about it. It is not the case today."

Uploads

Gael Clichy - signs for Man City.
    GAEL CLICHY COMPLETES MAN CITY MOVE

Gael Clichy has completed his move to Manchester City from Arsenal.
    It has been suggested City would be paying 7million for the full-back, who is Roberto Mancini's first summer signing.
    Although Arsene Wenger was keen to keep his fellow Frenchman, with Clichy about to enter the final year of his contract, having indicated he was not willing to agree an extension, Arsenal had little option but to cash in.
    Clichy has signed a four-year contract and becomes the latest in a succession of former Arsenal players to join the City revolution, although as that number includes Emmanuel Adebayor and the currently suspended Kolo Toure, the Blues have not had unqualified success with their raids on London.
    "I am really happy to be joining such a great club," Clichy told www.mcfc.co.uk.
    "I hope I can add to the quality we already have here because we have a fantastic squad who I believe will continue to get better.
    "I can't wait to get started and I think anything is possible with this team."
    Attention will immediately turn to whether he will be swiftly followed north by Samir Nasri, who has been attracting interest from both Manchester clubs.
    Mancini appears to be favourite to flex his powerful financial muscle, yet the City boss has been forced to accept bringing new players to the club is not going to be as easy as he wished due to UEFA's new Financial Fair Play rules, which have now taken effect.
    Although that in itself will not curtail the Blues' spending power, there is a problem with the number of highly-paid players on their books that Mancini has no obvious use for.
    Wayne Bridge for instance spent the second half of last season on loan at West Ham and, once Clichy arrives, will be shunted even further down the pecking order.
    Craig Bellamy is another, whilst Shay Given and Shaun Wright-Phillips have been attracting attention from Aston Villa and Bolton respectively, even though both clubs may be reluctant to match their present terms.
    Jo and Felipe Caicedo do not have a role to play either, whilst Nedum Onuoha is waiting to discover whether he impressed enough on loan at Sunderland last year to attract attention from elsewhere.
    Adebayor has already declared an intention to remain at City until the last day of the transfer window in August if necessary as he tries to secure a 'dream' move to Real Madrid.
    The first real indication of Mancini's thinking may come on Friday when his squad head to the USA for a training camp ahead of a three-match tour.
    It is hard to see any senior player left behind forcing his way into the Italian's plans, which next term will surely involve a concerted tilt at the Premier League title.

Uploads

Modric - declared he wanted to leave Spurs.
    MODRIC NOT MOTIVATED BY MONEY - VDV

Tottenham midfielder Rafael van der Vaart believes Luka Modric's desire to leave White Hart Lane is not down to financial reasons.
    The 25-year-old Croatia playmaker last month stunned Spurs supporters by declaring he wants to leave - with Chelsea his preferred destination.
    The north London club have rejected a 22million bid for Modric, with chairman Daniel Levy saying the player is not for sale.
    However, Holland international Van der Vaart said on Sky Sports News: "If someone wants to leave it's difficult to keep them. When a player is unhappy it's not a good thing.
    "Luka and (Gareth) Bale don't play for money - they play to win something. If they have to go to another club it's their decision.
    "But I hope they stay because they are fantastic and really important for the club."
    Van der Vaart was speaking on the day Spurs players returned for pre-season training, seeking to make up for the disappointment of missing out on Champions League football in the forthcoming campaign.
    The 28-year-old added: "Drop too many points and you don't deserve to be in the Champions League. So next season we are going to focus on the Europa League.
    "As a player you want to improve every year but the important thing is to help the team. If we stay together we have a good squad."
    One player who has arrived at White Hart Lane is Brad Friedel - the 40-year-old former Aston Villa and Blackburn goalkeeper having signed a two-year deal last month.
    He joins Heurelho Gomes and Carlo Cudicini on Spurs' books, and Van der Vaart said: "I had a chat with him (Friedel) and he's a really nice guy.
    "I think he's going to help us. We now have three fantastic goalkeepers."

Uploads

Ali Al Habsi - signs for Wigan.
    WIGAN SEAL AL HABSI DEAL

Wigan have completed the signing of goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi from Bolton on a four-year contract.
    The Oman international spent last season on loan at the DW Stadium and was keen to return but the deal was held up because the two clubs could not come to an agreement on the fee.
    However, the Latics are believed to have met Wanderers' 4million valuation and Al Habsi, Wigan's player of the season, was able to make his move permanent.
    The clubs agreed the undisclosed fee for the 29-year-old last week, and Al Habsi then underwent a medical on his return from holiday before penning his deal.
    Wigan manager Roberto Martinez said: "We are delighted to announce the best possible news for Wigan Athletic in securing Ali permanently.
    "During his loan at our football club last season, Ali brought a great degree of professionalism in his daily work and put in many outstanding performances in the Premier League.
    "Goalkeeping is a very specific position and we are very pleased that we are going to be very strong in this department going into the new season.
    "Being voted player of the season reflects the huge impression that Ali had on the pitch but also the feeling of the supporters towards him.
    "After making it really clear that he wanted to play for Wigan Athletic moving forwards we've done everything possible to make this happen.
    "The chairman [Dave Whelan] and everyone at the football club are delighted that Ali will be staying and I'm sure every single Latics fan will feel extremely proud and be able to enjoy a great day after hearing this news."
    Al Habsi joined Bolton in 2006 but made just 10 league appearances for the Trotters.
    He made his Wigan debut in the 1-0 win at Tottenham last August and kept eight Barclays Premier League clean sheets in all - including a vital one in the final game of the season as the Latics avoided relegation thanks to a 1-0 win at Stoke.
    He said: "I am very happy. I want to thank everyone at Bolton for helping me get established in this country but I need to be playing first-team football, and hopefully, if I can stay fit and keep doing my best, I will get the chance again at Wigan.
    "I think the gaffer is building a really exciting young team here and I am thrilled that I can be a part of that again.
    "I am so grateful that the gaffer gave me the chance to prove what I can do and now I want to repay him, and the Wigan fans, for making me so welcome last season."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast