Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 05-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 05-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 05-07-11

Gael Clichy - Manchester City move.
    CLICHY HAS BIG PLANS FOR MAN CITY

Gael Clichy insists there is "no limit" to what Manchester City can achieve this season.
    Clichy has signed a four-year deal with the Eastlands outfit after completing a 7million switch from Arsenal.
    Arsene Wenger does not need reminding the Gunners have gone six seasons without a trophy but Clichy cited the prospect of landing silverware as one of the main reasons for ending an eight-year association with the London giants.
    And whilst the 25-year-old is not being too rash with his predictions, Clichy does not feel there should be any boundaries to his new club's expectations.
    "There is no limit," he told www.mcfc.co.uk.
    "Of course, you have to be realistic but where they have come from in three years is phenomenal. And I want to win things.
    "The Champions League is going to be difficult because it is the first time for Manchester City.
    "The Premier League is important for the fans and shows who has been the best team during the whole season.
    "The FA Cup has been done last year. Hopefully we can repeat it. The Carling Cup is the least important but it is still a trophy.
    "We will go for everything and see what we get at the end of the season."
    Compared to Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri, who is also on City's wanted list and has been tipped to be reunited quickly with Roberto Mancini's first summer signing, Clichy may not be quite as important to most Gunners fans.
    However, if the star duo also quit, big questions will be asked of the Londoners' future direction.
    "My season was a bit like the team's," reflected Clichy on another barren campaign at the Emirates.
    "We started well and collapsed at the end of the season after the (Carling Cup) final.
    "These things happen in football. That is why you can see the importance of having a big squad.
    "Sometimes it is difficult to have a lot of players because you have to leave some out. But you need to have a big squad to go all the way."
    And clearly, someone at Eastlands has been quick to have a word about the potential for winding up the men and women who share a divided city.
    "I understand that the people who live in Manchester are the true fans. They are from City," he said.
    "That is a good point. I won't be bothered by United fans."
    Having sanctioned his departure, Wenger said of Clichy: "We would like to thank Gael for eight years of terrific service to Arsenal."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 05-07-11

Carlos Tevez - wants to leave Manchester City.
    FAMILY COMES FIRST FOR CARLOS TEVEZ

Carlos Tevez insists he is putting his family first by confirming his intention to leave Manchester City.
    Tevez broke off from his Copa America campaign with Argentina to contact the Blues and inform them of his desire to leave on Tuesday night.
    Seven months ago he expressed similar sentiments but was talked round by manager Roberto Mancini and owner Sheikh Mansour.
    This time, with Tevez in South America, it seems that will not happen, with the 27-year-old determined to make a clean break from Eastlands and be closer to his loved ones who do not live in Manchester.
    "He is putting his family first," a close friend told Press Association Sport.
    "He has always missed his two daughters but having now been reunited with their mother, he has no wish to harm that relationship, or do anything that would put it at risk.
    "People say it is no further to Manchester from Buenos Aires than Italy or Spain, but it is more about integrating within a community, and in the latter case, the language.
    "Carlos is on an excellent contract at Manchester City and he has a lot of respect for the club. But this is something he feels has to happen for the well-being of his entire family."
    In total, Tevez has scored 53 goals in 86 appearances for City, emphasising what a key figure he is in Mancini's squad.
    Although there is no potential buyer at present, offers are sure to come for one of the world's best players.
    Whether anyone can meet City's valuation is another matter and at a time when the spectre of UEFA's financial fair play rules hangs heavy over the club's transfer dealings, if they did decide to let Tevez leave, they would want to maximise the return on one of their most saleable assets.
    Although the former Manchester United star's performances dipped at the back end of the season, he still finished level with Dimitar Berbatov for the Premier League's Golden Boot and would surely have lifted the prize outright had he not been ruled out for a month by a hamstring injury suffered at Liverpool on April 11.
    "It is with great regret that I have to inform Manchester City of my wish to leave the club," said Tevez in a statement.
    "Being captain of Manchester City, qualifying for the Champions League, winning the FA Cup and finishing as top-scorer last season has made me very proud.
    "I hope that most of the City fans will understand that I have given them my all on the pitch and that my dedication to the City cause has been 100 per cent on the pitch.
    "I hope I have done my bit to help City continue their progress towards their ambition to be champions of England and to advance in the Champions League.
    "I have no doubt that the players and management of City will achieve great success in the future."

Uploads

Cahill - linked with leading clubs.
    COYLE CALLS ON CAHILL SUITORS

Owen Coyle has urged clubs interested in signing Bolton defender Gary Cahill to make the 'right offer sooner rather than later'.
    Cahill has been linked with a string of the Premier League's leading clubs after impressing at the Reebok Stadium during the past couple of seasons.
    Arsenal and Tottenham are reported to be leading the chase for the England central defender, but have yet to firm up their interest with bids.
    Trotters boss Coyle admits he is prepared to let Cahill move on this summer in order to fulfil an ambition of playing in the Champions League.
    However, Coyle is growing impatient that the speculation has not been followed up by offers and he is keen for a swift resolution to the situation.
    "If someone comes in with the right deal for Gary and the club, he would go with our blessing," said Coyle.
    "He wants to play Champions League football and there has been unbelievable speculation regarding him.
    "There are big clubs after him, but it is up to them to come on and back that up. If they don't, I hope they move on somewhere else and leave the boy alone.
    "If a bid comes in, we will look at it. If it doesn't we will make the best of the situation. We know we have got a top-class player in our ranks.
    "It is frustrating for everybody, but Bolton Wanderers is Gary's club and we pay him a good salary. He is focused on the job and will be until something happens.
    "I don't want to lose Gary, but if the right offer came in for him it would be better sooner rather than later."

Uploads

Jovanovic - looking for new employers.
    JOVANOVIC FREE TO FIND NEW CLUB

Liverpool have told Serbian flop Milan Jovanovic he is free to find a new club.
    The 30-year-old winger was signed by Rafa Benitez in the summer of 2010 on a Bosman transfer, but the Spaniard soon left Anfield and Jovanovic was rarely involved thereafter.
    He has made just 10 appearances since his move from Standard Liege and now looks set to depart.
    Jovanovic has confirmed that he is looking for a new club and Greek giants Olympiakos are said to be leading the chase.
    "I got the paper from Liverpool that I am free to search for a new club," he told the Greek media.
    "Up to now, I still haven't received an official offer from Olympiakos, but I am looking forward to hearing their plans."
    Jovanovic could also have options back in Belgium with Anderlecht and Club Brugge keen, whilst German clubs Schalke and Stuttgart have also been linked as they tried to sign him before his move to Anfield.
    The news that Liverpool have told Jovanovic he can go will come as little surprise as they are actively looking for a new left-winger, with Aston Villa's Stewart Downing seemingly top of their wish list.

Uploads

Kevin Nolan - joined West Ham.
    PARDEW EXPLAINS KEVIN NOLAN EXIT

Alan Pardew has admitted Newcastle decided to sell skipper Kevin Nolan because they didn't believe he had another five years in him at the top level.
    The 29-year-old left for relegated West Ham in a 4million move last month after failing to win the long-term contract he was looking for, much to the horror of Magpies fans who saw their team's inspirational captain contribute 12 goals to the cause last season.
    Pardew was disappointed to lose Nolan, who had two years remaining on his existing deal, but insisted there would have been little point in keeping a disgruntled player.
    He told BBC Radio Newcastle: "Kevin didn't want to stay, that's the end of the debate. Kevin couldn't get a contract for four or five years.
    "My opinion is that we couldn't give Kevin a five-year contract because if Kevin isn't playing first-team football, he isn't going to be the leader that we want, I am convinced of that.
    "Kevin is so full-on as the captain of a football club and at the level he has gone to now, he will easily cope with that and he will come back to the Premier League.
    "But in four or five years' time, Kevin needs to be doing the business in the first team, and we couldn't and I couldn't see that possibly happening here at Newcastle, and we had to make a decision on that."
    Pardew also has a decision to make with his goalkeepers with veteran Steve Harper, Holland international Tim Krul and Fraser Forster, who enjoyed a successful spell on loan at Celtic last season, all vying for the number one spot.
    Indeed, one of the three is likely to be playing his football elsewhere during the next campaign rather than operating as number three at St James' Park.
    Asked if he would keep all three, the manager said: "Probably not, actually, and that's a situation we have to be very careful of.
    "They have all got a genuine, genuine chance to be number one, so when you suddenly become number three, that's a major issue and that will be a major issue for one of them.
    "That's something we will have to deal with. In my mind - and hand on heart, I can say this - I haven't really got focused on one particularly goalie.
    "Harps was great for me [last season]. He is brilliant in the changing room, he is brilliant in and around it, he knows Newcastle inside-out, he knows how it ticks.
    "He will be important to us this year and he wants the number one shirt; Tim wants it - he has just had a brilliant game against Brazil in a full international; and Fraser is coming off a great season.
    "It's a great situation for me, but I do need to make a call and I will genuinely, genuinely take all into account - Harps' history, Harps' experience against Tim's inexperience, but natural God-given talent, as with Fraser."

Uploads

Orlandi - one-year contract extension.

Swansea midfielder Andrea Orlandi has signed a one-year contract extension to be tied to the Premier League new-boys until 2013.
    Orlandi has been rewarded with fresh terms at the Liberty Stadium after making 20 appearances en route to Swansea winning promotion last season.
    The Spaniard is a key part of Brendan Rodgers' squad and chairman Huw Jenkins is hopeful the 26-year-old can make an impact in the top flight.
    "Brendan was keen to ensure Andrea was retained as an important member of the squad," Jenkins told the club's official website.
    "He has grown into the squad over the past few years and his technical ability is well suited to the Premier League.
    "We are delighted that Andrea has decided to extend his contract, and we look forward to seeing him play his part as the club looks to make an impact in the Premier League."
    With Orlandi joining Angel Rangel in signing a new deal, Jenkins will now turn his focus to securing the futures of several of Swansea's youngsters.
    He added: "Improving and extending certain players' contracts well in advance is something we can now look into thanks to our Premier League status.
    "Over the last few years we have been asked by supporters why the club did not do it, but the simple explanation is that we were not in a financial position to do so.
    "The budget was set to compete in the Championship, so any further money spent on securing certain players' contracts earlier would have jeopardised certain signings along the way.
    "So we will be looking to sit down with the likes of Joe Allen, Nathan Dyer and Jazz Richards, for example, and ensure their contracts and cover our assets in advance."

Uploads

Roberto Martinez - wants to keep key players.
    MARTINEZ KEEN TO KEEP BIG NAMES

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez accepts his star players are likely to attract more interest in the summer transfer window, but is confident the squad will be stronger in August than it is now.
    The Spaniard completed his first piece of business on Monday with the 4million signing of Bolton goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi, the Latics' player of the season after his loan spell in the previous campaign.
    However, winger Charles N'Zogbia continues to be linked with a number of clubs - as he has been for the last three windows - while midfielder James McCarthy and striker Hugo Rodallega also have their suitors.
    Of that trio the former seems most likely to depart, especially as his transfer to Birmingham 11 months ago floundered at the last minute because of personal terms, while he only also has one year left on his contract.
    But despite the reported interest there have been no bids as yet and Martinez is focusing on improving his squad rather than allowing it to be weakened.
    His next move into the market is to find a replacement for midfielder Tom Cleverley, who impressed on loan from Manchester United but seems unlikely to return for a second season.
    "At the moment it is very straightforward: we are very strong in our squad, we have got very good numbers," said Martinez.
    "Ali was our first priority but now Tom Cleverly has gone back to Manchester United that is another position we have to strengthen.
    "But even then I feel we have a group of youngsters who will get a chance in pre-season and if they are as strong as I suspect them to be we will have a good squad.
    "We've had no offers (for his players) but I am sure there is a lot of interest in our top performers - and rightly so, we will take that as a compliment.
    "But we are looking forward to finishing the window in a stronger position than we started and that is why we work so hard behind the scenes to get ready."
    Having helped the team stave off the threat of relegation on the final day of the season Al Habsi is keen for the Latics to start building for a better season this time around.
    He, like Martinez, is keen to hang on to those team-mates who played a significant part in that survival battle.
    "The most important players we have to keep and we have to work hard starting on Thursday (when the club's pre-season begins)," said the 29-year-old Oman international.
    "It is going to be a very important season and we have to be ready for that."

Uploads

Craig Bellamy - 'great signing', says Ledley.
    LEDLEY WANTS BELLAMY RETURN

Celtic midfielder Joe Ledley has urged fellow Welshman Craig Bellamy to return to Parkhead.
    Bellamy, who spent four months on loan with the Clydesdale Bank Premier League side in 2005, is back at Manchester City after spending last season on loan at Cardiff.
    But with City boss Roberto Mancini considering Bellamy surplus to requirements, Celtic are amongst a host of clubs being linked with the Welshman.
    And Ledley thinks he would settle in well at a club which also features young Welsh full-back Adam Matthews who made his debut during the current tour of Australia.
    "Craig Bellamy would also be a great signing," said Ledley.
    "Craig has been here before and he enjoyed his time here. On his day he can be one of the greatest.
    "I remember the derby game a couple of years ago away to Manchester United where he was totally fantastic for City.
    "I spoke to him at the end of the season and he has some big decisions to make, but I think he would like to come back.
    "I asked the question about Celtic, of course I did.
    "He loved his time here and if a deal can be done hopefully he can come back. It would be nice to have him here again, but we also have great players here already."

Uploads

Steven Whittaker - staying at Rangers.
    WHITTAKER EXPECTS NEW SIGNINGS

Steven Whittaker signed a new five-year deal for Rangers on Monday then claimed he was confident the Scottish champions would attract new recruits before the transfer window closes.
    Ally McCoist also tied 29-year-old goalkeeper Allan McGregor to a six-year contract as he looks to build his squad ahead of his first season as Light Blues boss.
    Striker David Healy and utility man Andrew Little, left-back Sasa Papac and winger Salim Kerkar had already signed new one-year deals.
    However, McCoist is still looking to bring in his first new player. He has made unsuccessful bids for Dundee United striker David Goodwillie and Hearts defender Lee Wallace, but the Ibrox club are reportedly in talks with Spanish utility player Juan Manuel Ortiz, who plays for Almeria.
    And defender Whittaker, 27, who was recently the subject of several rejected bids from Turkish club Bursaspor, expects new players to soon arrive in Govan.
    "There is a long time to go before the window shuts and I'm sure we will have some new faces in before it does," he said.
    "Deals can be done very quickly and I'm sure he (McCoist) is eyeing up the right people to bring in.
    "He obviously doesn't want to kind of panic buy and I'm sure he will bring in the right faces."
    Whittaker claimed he had no intention of being reunited with former team-mate Kenny Miller at Bursaspor, despite repeated attempts by the Turkish club to land him.
    "I wasn't tempted by Bursaspor," said Whittaker. "I spoke to the manager about them and he was fully aware they were there so he acted quickly to say I wasn't for sale.
    "Rangers had no intention of letting me go and I was quite happy with that. I signed a deal here and that proves that.
    "It was a matter of negotiating and we have managed to come to an agreement and I'm delighted to sign a long-term deal and commit my future to the club.
    "I have been here for four years now and in the last few years we have been successful.
    "I enjoy winning trophies and obviously I want to continue doing that over the next few years as well."

Uploads

Bojan - looks set for Roma move.
    ROMA AGREE BOJAN TERMS

Roma have confirmed that they have agreed terms with Bojan ahead of his proposed move from Barcelona.
    Reports in the British media claimed that Tottenham were ready to make a move for the young Spaniard.
    But with Barca legend Luis Enrique now in charge at Roma, a move to the Eternal City was always on the cards for Bojan.
    And now their sporting director Walter Sabatini has confirmed that the deal is almost in place.
    "The agreement with the player is done," he told La Graderia.
    "We have to fix some things with Barcelona, I am very optimistic."
    Roma are also lining up a move for Sporting Gijon's highly-rated Spanish Under-21 defender Jose Angel, but Sabatini refused to go into detail on their bid for the 21-year-old left back.
    "The player is of Sporting and I can not speak of a player from another team. It is not right."
    However, Sporting president Manuel Vega Arango has told Roma that they will not get him on the cheap as they are believed to be holding out for 15million euros.
    "Jose Angel will go when Roma accept our conditions," Sporting president Manuel Vega Arango said in Sport. "We are waiting for a reply.
    "If he stays at the club we will be very happy. Sporting don't need to accept what people offer like we did in the past with the likes of David Villa.
    "The situation is much better now and footballers have a price. If clubs pay the amount they leave, if not, they will stay."
    La Liga champions Barcelona were interested in Angel but Roma are now the frontrunners for his signature.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast