Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 06-07-11

Uploads

Latest Transfer Update at 06-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 06-07-11

Falcao - would favour move to England.
    FALCAO DROPS PREMIER LEAGUE HINT

Porto striker Falcao has confirmed he would favour a move to the Premier League over a switch to Spain's top flight.
    The Colombia international is being tipped to leave the Portuguese club after plundering an impressive 17 goals last season.
    Falcao has been linked with a reunion with former Porto boss Andre Villas-Boas at Chelsea, but the striker falls short of naming Stamford Bridge as his preferred destination.
    The 25-year-old is full of admiration for Spain's Primera Liga but prefers the atmosphere at English venues and wants to experience that week-in, week-out.
    "There is a club that I dream to play for," stated Falcao. "They are foreign but I do not want to say who it is now.
    "The Spanish league is good, but I prefer the Premier League as there is a better atmosphere on the field.
    "I have matured in every respect and I am qualified to play in any big league."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 06-07-11

Stewart Downing - Liverpool target.
    REDS DOWNING BID REBUFFED - REPORTS

Aston Villa have rejected a renewed 15million offer from Liverpool for winger Stewart Downing, according to widespread reports.
    The Reds failed with a 12m bid at the end of last season but they will have to increase their offer yet again, with Villa reportedly holding out for a 20m fee for the England international.
    The Merseysiders are believed to have offered David Ngog as a makeweight but, as was the case when he was offered to Sunderland, his 40,000-a-week wage could be a stumbling block.
    Downing still has two years to run on his current deal at Villa Park but has already stated he will not extend that contract.
    The 26-year-old is understood to be frustrated at the Midlands club following a disappointing campaign marred by two changes of management.
    However, having already sold Ashley Young to Manchester United for 17m, the Villans are under no pressure to sell another of their key assets.

Uploads

Stefan Savic - set for Man City move.
    SAVIC POISED FOR MAN CITY MOVE

Stefan Savic expected to soon be confirmed as Manchester City's second signing of the summer as the club try to move on from Carlos Tevez's transfer request.
    Partizan Belgrade defender Savic, who has been in Manchester for a medical, is poised to complete his move to Eastlands just days after the arrival of Gael Clichy from Arsenal.
    City are yet to make an official response to Tevez's announcement on Monday night that he wants to quit the Blues, but it is likely to be have been met by club officials with little more than a resigned shrug.
    The move was anticipated by the City hierarchy and they can relax in the knowledge that Tevez - who expressed similar sentiments about leaving in December only to be talked round by manager Roberto Mancini and owner Sheikh Mansour - has three years remaining on a contract that is estimated to be worth in excess of 200,000-a-week.
    That means they have no reason to allow their 27-year-old skipper to go on the cheap and with the potential price-tag for the forward being up to 50million, his list of realistic suitors is not long.
    Tevez, currently on international duty with Argentina at the Copa America, has cited a desire to be closer to his daughters.
    It is something for which former City midfielder Garry Flitcroft has a certain amount of sympathy.
    "When I signed for Blackburn from Manchester City, I could have gone to Arsenal," Flitcroft told Sky Sports News.
    "But I didn't want to go to London because I didn't want to leave my family, so in a way, I can tell what (Tevez) is saying.
    "I'm sure for the City fans - and I'm a City fan as well - it is a big shock. They won't want to lose Carlos Tevez because he is a fantastic player.
    "You only have a short career, but at the end of the day, your kids are only young once as well.
    "Whether this is an excuse to get away from there and go to another club, I don't know, but I can see his issues, with wanting to be close to his family."
    It had been suggested that Liverpool might be looking to make a late bid to hijack Savic's move to City, but it is the Blues who are set to seal the 20-year-old Montenegro international's signature, subject to them securing a work permit for him.
    Meanwhile, reported City target Sergio Aguero has confirmed he has received an offer from Juventus, but the striker insists his future will only be decided after the Copa America.
    Aguero, Tevez's international team-mate, announced his wish to leave Atletico Madrid last month.
    "I am aware of Juve's offer but only when the Copa America is over, will my future destination be known," Aguero told reporters.
    "There are negotiations going on with the Italian club but I don't know how many millions they have offered for my services."

Uploads

Daniel Sturridge - could return to the Reebok.
    COYLE TO ASK FOR STURRIDGE RETURN

Bolton manager Owen Coyle hopes his friendship with new Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas will help him strike a deal to bring Daniel Sturridge back to the club.
    Coyle became friends with Villas-Boas after the pair took their Pro Licence coaching course together and he is ready to ask the Portuguese if he will loan out Sturridge next season.
    The England Under-21 striker impressed during a loan spell at the Reebok Stadium last season, scoring eight goals in 12 Premier League appearances.
    Coyle has previously confirmed his desire to take Sturridge back to the club and he is ready to ask Villas-Boas if he would allow to him leave Stamford Bridge on a temporary basis.
    "We have had dialogue," said Coyle. "But when you come into a club, you have got to look at the whole picture and not make pre-judgements. I have told him to settle in and have a look and then we will have a chat.
    "He [Villas-Boas] is a terrific lad, I got on very well with him.
    We did our Pro Licence together for the best part of two years. We all took to him, he is a likeable guy and very humble.
    "Daniel did very well for us last season. We'll have to wait and see whether anything happens."

Uploads

Carlos Tevez - wants to leave Manchester City.
    HAMANN: CITY SHOULD LET TEVEZ LEAVE

Former Manchester City midfielder Dietmar Hamann says "it makes no sense" for them to keep Carlos Tevez after the striker revealed he wants to leave the club.
    The Argentina international cited a desire to be closer to his daughters when informing City of his intention to move on during the summer transfer window.
    Potential suitors are currently pondering whether to make a move for the Blues skipper and speculation over his future can be expected to continue during his involvement in the Copa America.
    Hamann, who played for City between 2006 and 2009, knows the club would find it hard to replace their star striker but he accepts they could well be looking for a new stellar signing.
    "He's got a contract so it's not really down to him but if a player doesn't want to be there it makes no sense to keep him," Hamann, who has been unveiled as the new Stockport boss, told Sportinglife.com.
    "I'm sure they'll come to the right decision and find the right solution to deal with it but it's now down to Garry Cook, Roberto Mancini and Tevez.
    "He'll be hard to replace because he's scored a lot of goals and done great for the club.
    "If there's a player out there who can replace him City will make a move and get him."

Uploads

Derek Riordan - set for talks in China.
    RIORDAN MULLS OVER CHINA MOVE

Former Hibernian striker Derek Riordan thinks a move to the Chinese Super League may reignite his passion for the game after admitting he had started to find life dull in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.
    The 28-year-old, who recently left Hibs as a free agent, is heading to the Far East to hold talks with Shaanxi Chanba over a possible deal.
    Riordan admits joining a club in China would be life-changing, but he can only see positives in the move.
    "It's a good deal with good wages and a chance to set up my family. You have to look at that when you're coming towards the end of your career," he told the Scottish Sun.
    "I'm keen to try something different. I've been playing in the SPL for a long time and it's getting a bit boring.
    "I remember sitting on the bench at Hamilton last season and there were about 2,000 punters there. That wasn't great.
    "I enjoyed my time at Hibs but I think it's time for something different.
    "They get gates of about 30,000, which is bigger than any club here outside the Old Firm. I'm looking forward to finding out more."

Uploads

Dietmar Hamann - new Stockport manager.
    HAMANN WANTS SMILES AT STOCKPORT

New Stockport manager Dietmar Hamann is hoping to put a smile back on the faces of the club's fans as he gets down to work in his new job.
    The former Liverpool midfielder has taken over at the Blue Square Bet Premier outfit on a one-year deal and his first target will be to boost the threadbare squad he has inherited.
    County, who were relegated last season after 106 years in the Football League, have appointed Hamann after the takeover of the club by a consortium headed by businessman Tony Evans.
    Hamann is keeping his focus on the field and he hopes good times are ahead for the Stockport faithful.
    "It's good to be here," he told Sportinglife.com after being unveiled at Edgeley Park.
    "The club is probably where it shouldn't be and it belongs in the Football League.
    "We will try to bring a smile back to the punters' faces when they come to the ground and to send them back home with a smile will be what we are trying to achieve."
    Hamann knows he needs to boost his squad and he will be looking to bring in new faces quickly.
    "Time is very thin. The quicker you bring players in the better so we will be trying to recruit players over the next few days.
    "A good player can play at any level and we look for players with the right attitude who will put the team first and obviously put the club first.
    "We will make sure they have the same enthusiasm as all the people here to bring the club back into the Football League.
    "If there's a possibility to bring players in from other clubs whether it's on loan or permanent we will try to do that and utilise every angle we've got."

Uploads

Gervinho - reportedly close to Arsenal move.
    GERVINHO 'HAVING ARSENAL MEDICAL'

Arsenal are poised to complete their first big summer transfer with the 11million signing of Ivory Coast striker Gervinho from Lille.
    The 24-year-old is understood to have arrived in London and is thought to be undergoing his medical, although it remains uncertain when the move will be confirmed.
    Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has so far been frustrated in his transfer plans, highlighted by target Ricardo Alvarez deciding to join Inter Milan instead from Argentina side Velez Sarsfield.
    The imminent arrival of Gervinho is expected to hasten the departure of Denmark forward Nicklas Bendtner, who has returned to pre-season training but appears surplus to requirements, with Sporting Lisbon a possible destination.
    Full-back Gael Clichy joined title rivals Manchester City earlier this week in a reported 7m deal, and while Wenger probably will not bring in a like-for-like replacement, instead relying on England youngster Kieran Gibbs, defence is an area of concern with Bolton centre-half Gary Cahill a long-term target.
    Contract rebel Samir Nasri is due back at London Colney tomorrow, but Arsenal look set to have taken a firm stance over the France midfielder, said to be interesting Manchester United, and also captain Cesc Fabregas, with Barcelona still some way short of the Gunners' 40m valuation.
    Arsenal are set to head out on a Far East tour this weekend, by which time Wenger will want his first-team squad to be taking shape as they prepare for a crucial Champions League play-off in the second week of the season.

Uploads

Luka Modric - set for talks with Daniel Levy.
    REDKNAPP: MODRIC TALKS ON THURSDAY

Luka Modric will meet Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy for talks on his future on Thursday, manager Harry Redknapp has revealed.
    Redknapp insists that the meeting does not mean that Modric's time at White Hart Lane is coming to an end though, reiterating his belief the Croatian playmaker must stay at the club if they are to reach the top-four place that escaped them last season.
    Modric has gone on record stating his desire to move to Chelsea, but Spurs rejected a 22million bid from the Blues last month and Levy has insisted that the 25-year-old is not for sale at any price.
    Redknapp dismissed the Blues' bid for Modric as "farcical", and the 64-year-old insisted again that his midfield maestro will not be leaving.
    "I believe Daniel is meeting Luka tomorrow," Redknapp told the London Evening Standard on Wednesday.
    "It's difficult when crazy sums of money are being bandied about but we need to keep Luka and all our best players if we are to improve.
    "If we want to continue to challenge the top clubs in the Premier League then we simply have to get stronger - not weaker.
    "Luka is a fantastic player and we need to keep him at the club. We certainly don't want to sell him."
    Modric scored just four goals last season, but provided many assists and put in a series of tireless performances in the centre of the park that are said to have also alerted Manchester United to his potential.
    Modric, who signed for 16.6million from Dinamo Zagreb in 2008, has five years left to run on his contract at Tottenham.

Uploads

Wesley Sneijder - heavily linked with Man Utd.
    SNEIJDER THE 'IDEAL' SIGNING FOR MAN UTD

Manchester United first-team coach Rene Meulensteen has claimed he "could not think of a more ideal player for our team" than Wesley Sneijder.
    Although Manchester City have played down talk a deal is imminent for Samir Nasri, it has been suggested in some quarters Sir Alex Ferguson has given up hope of luring the Arsenal midfielder to Old Trafford.
    That would leave just two of the stellar names who have been heavily linked with United over the summer as potential replacements for Paul Scholes.
    And as Luka Modric has already expressed a preference for Chelsea should he eventually leave Tottenham, Sneijder is the remaining target.
    The Dutch playmaker's quality is not in doubt, as he proved in guiding Inter Milan to the Treble in 2010, when he was also part of the Holland team that reached the World Cup final.
    Sneijder has previously expressed a liking for United too.
    Yet obstacles remain to the possibility of a deal, including the 27-year-old's likely wage demands and uncertainty surrounding Inter's willingness to sell a player who still has four years remaining on his contract.
    However, of one thing Meulensteen is certain. Sneijder would be a big hit if he did eventually make the switch.
    "The new Paul Scholes doesn't exist, just as a new Roy Keane has never emerged, but Sneijder would fit perfectly here," Meulensteen told Dutch magazine Voetbal International.
    "I cannot actually think of a more ideal player for our team. I say this not because he's a Dutchman. I've worked here for a while, I know the team inside out and I know he would be a great signing.
    "He seems a perfect complement to the likes of (Javier) Hernandez, (Wayne) Rooney, Park (Ji-sung), (Ashley) Young, (Antonio) Valencia, Nani and (Ryan) Giggs.
    "And, of course, Wesley has the necessary experience in top-level football.
    "I don't know what his future is at Inter, whether he may leave or whether he's affordable. But, purely based on football skills, I say get Sneijder."
    Although Meulensteen's words have not always come true, he was glowing in his praise for Ajax keeper Maarten Stekelenburg last season for instance after Edwin van der Sar had confirmed his retirement plans, it is hard to imagine such comments would be made without Ferguson at least being aware of them.
    And they would certainly leave Sneijder in little doubt over the warmth his arrival at Old Trafford would generate, topping off, as it would, a virtually perfect summer following the arrivals of Young, David de Gea and Phil Jones.
    Ferguson would regard Sneijder as being about to enter the peak years of his career, and given the ages of United's confirmed recruits
    it is little wonder Gary Neville has backed the youthful approach as two of his long-time team-mates prepare to follow him through the Old Trafford exit door.
    Wes Brown and John O'Shea are thought to be inching closer to a departure for Sunderland, possibly by the end of the week.
    With Neville retiring in the middle of last season, Van der Sar and Scholes hanging up their boots as well and Owen Hargreaves not offered a new contract, it has been a summer of change.
    And De Gea and former Blackburn defender Jones, have not even celebrated their 21st birthdays yet.
    With other promising youngsters emerging from last term's triumphant FA Youth Cup-winning team, Ferguson is clearly infusing his squad with a hunger Neville believes is an essential factor in United retaining top spot.
    "United always buy players who have still got to climb to reach the top of the mountain," Neville told www.manutd.com.
    "When you try and buy the finished article, it's always difficult, so you want hungry players.
    "The best thing is to get people with a little bit of development to go as the manager always extracts the maximum out of players.
    "That's the club's policy and always will be.
    "There will be lots of investment in the top teams this season but I still see United being in pole position because of the continuity of the club and the manager."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast