Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 07-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 07-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 07-07-11

Bellamy - 90,000 wages a stumbling block.
    LENNON - CRAIG BELLAMY DEAL REMOTE

Celtic manager Neil Lennon says Craig Bellamy would have to accept a drop in wages in order to secure a summer move to Parkhead.
    Bellamy is expected to leave Manchester City permanently during the transfer window after spending last season on loan at Cardiff City.
    The Championship club have played down talk of a return for the Wales international, but Celtic do hold an interest in the striker.
    The 31-year-old enjoyed a loan spell with the Bhoys in 2005 and his international team-mate Joe Ledley has urged Bellamy to return to the SPL giants.
    However, with City rumoured to want 4million and Bellamy's wages reportedly in the 90,000 a week region, a deal is currently looking remote.
    Lennon appeared to acknowledge an interest in signing Bellamy, but conceded Celtic are not in a position to meet the player's present salary.
    "If you are talking that sort of money, then no," replied Lennon when asked if Bellamy could join Celtic on his current salary.
    "It's a remote possibility at the moment, unless some sort of scenario comes up where he could come down a bit on the wages.
    "He's not back from holiday yet and we'd need to know what the situation is and the proposal. Peter Lawwell is looking at it, although I'm not over-confident on that one."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 07-07-11

O'Shea - close to Sunderland move.
    JOHN O'SHEA IN BLACK CATS MEDICAL

Manchester United defender John O'Shea is due to have a medical at Sunderland on Thursday.
    Press Association Sport understands the 30-year-old Republic of Ireland international was on his way to Wearside this morning hot on the heels of team-mate Wes Brown, who was in the north east for his medical last night.
    A successful completion of both deals would take manager Steve Bruce's summer signings to date to eight.
    Bruce targeted the pair, as well as midfielder Darron Gibson, several weeks ago when the Black Cats had a joint bid of more than 12million accepted for the three.
    Gibson was quick to indicate his willingness to consider a move to the Stadium of Light, but that deal has proved to be the most problematic.
    However, first 31-year-old Brown and now O'Shea have edged ever closer to accepting Sunderland's offer to add experience and know-how to a defence which was badly affected by injuries last season.
    Both men are able to play in more than one position and have enjoyed success during long stays at Old Trafford, and that winning mentality is something Bruce is keen to bring to his squad.
    He has already secured a permanent deal for winger Ahmed Elmohamady, the only one of his loan signings so far to agree a permanent switch, while the club snapped up Connor Wickham, Craig Gardner, Ji Dong-won and free signings Keiren Westwood and Sebastian Larsson in a flurry of transfer activity ahead of yesterday's return for pre-season training.

Uploads

Colunga - Getafe to make a decision on striker's future.
    WIGAN IN FRESH CORLUNA LINK

Getafe president Angel Torres says a decision on Adrian Colunga's future will rest with the club's coach amid reports Wigan Athletic have made a bid for the striker.
    Colunga has been a long-time target for Latics boss Roberto Martinez and was first mooted for a move to the DW Stadium last summer.
    At that time, Martinez suggested Colunga had the necessary ability to adapt to playing in England after impressing during a loan spell at Real Zaragoza.
    The 26-year-old is now reportedly the subject of a 3million offer from Wigan as Martinez looks to improve his squad ahead of next season.
    Spanish side Getafe have yet to make a decision on the bid and Torres says it is up to coach Luis Garcia whether he wants to let Colunga go.
    "I don't want him to go, but the decision rests with our coach Luis Garcia," Torres told the Spanish media.
    "Colunga could score 12 or 14 goals this season and be very valuable to the club."

Uploads

Boyd - looking forward to a huge challenge.

Middlesbrough striker Kris Boyd is looking forward to a 'huge challenge' after confirming he is set to join Turkish side Eskisehirspor.
    Skysports.com revealed on Wednesday that the Scotland international was discussing a move after just one season at The Riverside.
    Boyd joined Boro on a free transfer from Rangers 12 months ago and scored six goals in 27 Championship appearances for the club.
    He also netted six goals during a loan spell at Nottingham Forest and is now poised to complete a move to Turkey.
    A three-year deal is reportedly on the table for the 27-year-old and Eskisehirspor are set to pay Boro a nominal fee.
    "This is a huge challenge," Boyd told the Daily Record.
    "Eskisehirspor are ambitious and I want to help them achieve their goals. I can't wait to get started."

Uploads

Davis - happy signing extended terms at Ibrox.
    STEVEN DAVIS HAPPY FOLLOWING SUIT

Steven Davis is happy following in the footsteps of Steven Whittaker and Allan McGregor by signing a new contract at Rangers.
    The Northern Ireland international has just one year left on the four-year contract he penned following his move from Aston Villa.
    Manager Ally McCoist recently revealed his hope that Davis would be signing on and the midfielder also believes an agreement is close.
    Davis has seen two of his high-profile team-mates extend their stay and he is now looking forward to resolving his long-term future.
    "It's just a matter of getting things sorted out," commented Davis.
    "Hopefully everything will soon be done and dusted. I don't like to put a deadline on these things but it's obvious I'm happy here.
    "Allan McGregor and Steven Whittaker were important moves for the long-term good of the club.
    "Now I'm looking forward to getting something sorted out."

Uploads

Hamann - could bring in players from Leicester.
    HAMANN LOOKS FOR LOAN FOXES

New Stockport boss Dietmar Hamann says he will look to sign loan players from Leicester.
    Hamann left his role as first-team coach at the King Power Stadium to take the top job at Stockport and his focus is now on the transfer market.
    County need new signings ahead of their first game of the Blue Square Bet Premier season at Forest Green and Hamann could get back in contact with Foxes chief Sven-Goran Eriksson to boost his squad.
    "Sven's been very supportive and it was great to work with him but sometimes you have to move on and stand on your own feet," Hamann told www.sportinglife.com.
    "I will keep in contact with him and if there's the possibility to bring in one or two players from Leicester I will do so.
    "They are a Championship team so it will be players who've just come through the youth system or just on the verge of breaking into the first-team."

Uploads

Macho - linked with a move to West Brom.
    SCHARNER WANTS MACHO BAGGIES ARRIVAL

West Brom utility man Paul Scharner is keen for international team-mate Jurgen Macho to join him at the Hawthorns.
    Baggies boss Roy Hodgson is in the market for a new goalkeeper this summer having seen last season's No.1 Scott Carson depart for Bursaspor.
    Hodgson also has Boaz Myhill on the books for the Baggies but is expected to make a swoop in the coming weeks to ensure he has both competition and cover.
    Austria international Macho has Premier League experience from his time with Sunderland and Chelsea and has been tipped for a return to the top-flight.
    The 33-year-old is currently plying his trade in Greece with Panionios and the versatile Scharner is confident terms can be agreed for his fellow countryman.
    Scharner said: "I reckon a deal can be done for Jurgen."

Uploads

O'Shea has joined Brown at Sunderland.
    O'SHEA JOINS BROWN AT SUNDERLAND

Manchester United defender John O'Shea has put pen to paper on a four-year deal to join Wes Brown at Sunderland.
    The 30-year-old Republic of Ireland international travelled to Wearside for a medical and wasted little time in becoming Steve Bruce's eighth summer signing.
    Like Brown, he has joined for an undisclosed fee after United last month accepted a joint offer of more than 12million for the pair and midfielder Darron Gibson.
    O'Shea said: "Once I'd heard reports about the club and the people here, the ambitions and what the manager was all about, it was the only place I was going to come to."
    Manager Steve Bruce, also a former United player, added: "John has been a solid, consistent part of Manchester United's squad for well over a decade, which goes to show the fantastic pedigree of player we have signed.
    "He is a wonderful professional both on and off the field and his wealth of experience and versatility will be great attributes for us.
    "I'm delighted with the players we have been able to secure ahead of the new season."
    O'Shea boasts five Barclays Premier League titles, an FA Cup winners' medal, three League Cup successes and a Champions League triumph among his list of achievements at Old Trafford.
    He is also a stalwart of Giovanni Trapattoni's Ireland team and like Brown, will bring experience and a winning mentality to the Stadium of Light.
    He made almost 400 appearances for the Red Devils during his 12 years with the club and it was initially thought he would take some persuading to leave.
    However, despite having to delay talks as his wife gave birth, he managed to tie up his move swiftly.
    Brown, 31, managed barely 30 of his 361 appearances for United in the last three Barclays Premier League campaigns with injuries having taken their toll.
    That is a statistic he is determined to address after agreeing to move to Wearside.
    Asked about his ambitions, he told SAFC TV: "Last season, I was fine, I just didn't get into the team, so it was a little bit frustrating. But that's football and you move on.
    "I am just delighted to be here now to help Sunderland push forward.
    "Personally, it would be good to be playing every week, trying to help the team win and playing well.
    "Club-wise, everyone will be looking to push the club forward and start challenging for those European places - and who knows beyond there?
    "That's what teams always aim for at the beginning of the season, and we will be no different.
    "But obviously, the squad will be a lot stronger."
    Brown admitted that the hunger to be involved week in, week out made his decision to leave United reasonably straightforward, but with several options having been presented to him, Bruce was a major factor.
    He said: "He's been great over the last few weeks when I have been talking to him.
    "Straight away, I said it would be great if I could join and we could get it all sorted, and we have done and I am here.
    "When I was younger, I used to watch Steve and I have known him a little bit as well, so it was fine."
    Bruce, who launched his joint bid for the United trio as Jordan Henderson headed for Liverpool, was thrilled to have signed the defender.
    He said: "We are delighted to welcome a player of Wes' ability, experience and character to the club.
    "He has been a fantastic professional for Manchester United through the years and not only will he strengthen our defensive options, he will also bring with him a winning mentality and level of maturity which can only be positive for the players around him."

Uploads

Adam - closing in on Reds move.
    CHARLIE ADAM PASSES REDS MEDICAL

Charlie Adam is poised to complete his move to Liverpool from Blackpool after passing a medical with the Anfield outfit.
    The Reds confirmed on Wednesday that they had finally agreed an undisclosed fee, believed to be in the region of 9million, with the Championship club for the midfielder.
    Scotland international Adam has been a long-term target for the Merseyside giants who tried and failed to secure his services during the January transfer window.
    Blackpool's relegation from the Premier League on the final day of the season made his anticipated departure from Bloomfield Road more likely and the 25-year-old was always keen to remain in the top-flight.
    Adam now only needs to agree personal terms with Kenny Dalglish's men to seal his switch to the five-time European champions.
    The midfielder will become Liverpool's second signing of the summer following the 20million arrival of Jordan Henderson from Sunderland.
    There have been rumblings of discontent from some supporters after seeing the club miss out on Connor Wickham to Sunderland and Phil Jones to Manchester United.
    But Dalglish clearly has further targets in mind and the Reds saw their 15million approach for Aston Villa winger Stewart Downing knocked back on Tuesday evening.

Uploads

Downing - 'not for sale' says McLeish.
    VILLA: DOWNING WON'T BE SOLD

Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish insists the club have no intention of selling Stewart Downing to Liverpool at any price.
    The 26-year-old England international was the subject of a failed 15m bid from the Reds earlier in the week.
    There has been speculation Liverpool will up their bid to 20m, but McLeish is determined to hold on to the player after losing Ashley Young and Brad Friedel in the transfer window already.
    McLeish admits he has already spoken to Downing about his future and plans to speak to the former Middlesbrough favourite again when the squad returns for pre-season training.
    "I understand why there's teams interested in him and that is what happens when you play well consistently," said McLeish.
    "His performances last season were top drawer. That's why he's not for sale. The club don't want to sell him.
    "I spoke to him briefly last week and I intend speaking to him again when all the lads are back in for training."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast