Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 08-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 08-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 08-07-11

Adebayor - frustrated.
    ADEBAYOR: MAN CITY NOT MAN ENOUGH

Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor has accused the club's hierarchy of not being "man enough" to tell him he is not wanted.
    The former Togo international, who only joined the club from Arsenal for 25million two years ago, was frozen out at Eastlands last season and ended the campaign on loan at Real Madrid.
    But after expecting to link up with manager Roberto Mancini and the rest of his squad for pre-season, the 27-year-old now claims he has been omitted from the club's tour of America, but was only told by football director Brian Marwood's secretary.
    He said in the Sun: "This is very hurtful and insulting and says a lot about Manchester City.
    "On the one hand they want to become the biggest, most successful club in the world, yet the people who run the club are not acting in that way at all.
    "No one at City is man enough to speak to me face-to-face to explain.
    "I just received an email from Brian Marwood's secretary, a lady at the club called Claire, telling me to report for training on July 9.
    "But when I spoke to the other players, I found out the first team was leaving for the pre-season tour of the USA on July 8.
    "So it's clear they don't want me here but no one even called. Brian Marwood just got his secretary to send me an email.
    "And I heard this was the same with at least six other players"
    Adebayor has been linked with a move to Tottenham, as well as a permanent return to Madrid.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 08-07-11

Hargreaves - could be set for Leicester talks.
    SVEN EYES OWEN HARGREAVES SWOOP

Leicester City boss Sven Goran Eriksson has revealed he is considering a move for former Manchester United midfielder Owen Hargreaves.
    Hargreaves is available on a free transfer after being released by the Red Devils earlier this summer following a series of injuries which blighted his time at Old Trafford.
    The 30-year-old has taken to YouTube to prove his fitness in a series of videos as he looks to find a new club.
    Eriksson, who gave Hargreaves his England debut in 2001, has been impressed by the midfielder in the clips and is ready to add him to his Leicester revoultion.
    "I saw his videos and if he wants to come here I will open the door and stand and wait for him in the door," said Eriksson.
    "He's been very unlucky in recent years but if he's close to what he was he is a fantastic football player.
    "I haven't spoken to him for a while, maybe I should.
    "It's difficult to know what he wants to do when he's been away for a long time."

Uploads

Given - wanted by new Villa boss McLeish.
    VILLA CLOSING IN ON SHAY GIVEN

Aston Villa are hopeful Shay Given will become Alex McLeish's first signing next week in a 3.5 million move from Manchester City, Press Association Sport understands.
    Villa are poised to replace one veteran in Brad Friedel with another in 35-year-old Given who wants the chance to play first-team football again.
    The two clubs have held talks and sources close to Villa are optimistic a deal will be finalised sooner rather than later.
    Given was the number one at Newcastle for more than a decade before moving to Eastlands two and a half years ago.
    But the emergence of England keeper Joe Hart - who played under McLeish when on loan at Birmingham - cost him his place last season.
    Personal terms are not expected to be a major stumbling block even though Given is reported to be on 80,000 a week at City.
    The expected arrival of Given, however, will not lead to the departure of Brad Guzan who had a spell on loan at Hull last season.
    McLeish is keen for the American to provide back-up to Given along with Andy Marshall.
    He said: "I'd like to hold onto Brad, definitely. I don't think we will be letting him go at this particular stage."
    Villa report back for pre-season training today with McLeish set for further talks with in-demand winger Stewart Downing.
    McLeish is desperate to keep the England international and has rejected offers of 12 million and 15 million from Liverpool.
    It now remains to be seen whether Downing will force the issue by asking for a transfer.
    One player who will be absent from training today is midfielder Fabian Delph who is still recovering from ankle surgery at the end of the season.

Uploads

Charlie Adam - Liverpool move completed.
    CHARLIE ADAM JOINS LIVERPOOL

Liverpool have completed the transfer of Charlie Adam from Blackpool after the midfielder signed a long-term contract.
    The Scotland international underwent a medical at the club's Melwood training ground after the two clubs agreed a deal to end the Reds' six-month pursuit of the 25-year-old.
    Just over 24 hours after that medical was completed the deal was eventually finalised with Liverpool confirming the move in a brief statement on their website, accompanied by a picture of Adam signing his contract alongside director of football Damien Comolli.
    "I am absolutely delighted to be here," Adam told Liverpoolfc.tv. "It has been a long process but now I can't wait to get started and hopefully this will be a successful period in my career and in the club's history.
    "Liverpool is a massive club with terrific players and a terrific manager.
    "I see this as the perfect development for me to come here, play with such wonderful players and hopefully help the team to win trophies, because that's the most important thing.
    "I'm delighted to be able to walk out on the same pitch as some of the players here.
    "There are good players at the club, top, top players who I want to learn from. I want to become a better player and hopefully bring something to the team.
    "Hopefully we can have a successful period because it's been missing now for a couple of years.
    "At the end of the day you get judged on trophies and as a footballer you want to win as many as you can.
    "This club has had a lot of success over the years, so let's get back to doing that."
    The role of Kenny Dalglish in securing the signature of his fellow Scot cannot be underestimated.
    He identified Adam very early on as a player he wanted and even drove the midfielder into the club's Melwood training ground for his medical.
    Dalglish's influence was marked when he took charge in January, turning performances and results around, and that did not go unnoticed by Adam.
    Adam added: "You have seen since the new manager came in the forward strides that have been made.
    "Kenny has a terrific respect from players and people in the game.
    "He is a wonderful manager and it's an honour to be able to say I'm going to be able to play for Liverpool.
    "I tasted Anfield last year, scoring here (in the Seasiders' 2-1 win) was an unbelievable feeling and hopefully I've got many more days like that as a Liverpool player."
    Comolli conducted the negotiations with Blackpool to secure Adam's transfer after Dalglish made him a primary target.
    And the Frenchman believes the midfielder can build on the form he showed in his maiden Barclays Premier League campaign.
    "It's been a long chase since the end of January but we've always kept our interest because we knew he was a quality player," said Comolli.
    "We knew he was very keen on coming here and for Kenny he was a priority and we've done everything we could to get him.
    "He's got the power, the strength, the stamina, and then technically he's got an absolutely fantastic left foot.
    "He's going to bring a lot to us in the run of play but also with set-plays.
    "He's a complete package of a very modern midfield player who can do several things on the pitch - and he brings this left foot that we didn't have in midfield until now.
    "I think he can improve because with age comes experience.
    "He had the first year in the Premier League, and with more experience he's going to understand the game in the Premier League more.
    "Also, training on a daily basis with the quality of player we have here will stretch him as a player - physically, mentally and tactically.
    "Training with the best helps you to become better and I think that's what we're going to see."

Uploads

Mata - linked with Arsenal and Liverpool.
    MATA INTEREST CONFIRMED - AGENT

Valencia winger Juan Mata is wanted by clubs outside Spain, his father and agent has confirmed.
    Mata is understood to be attracting strong interest from Arsenal, while Liverpool are also believed to be keen on the Spain international.
    The talented winger, who helped his country to Under-21 glory in the European Championships this summer having previously been part of the senior squad which clinched World Cup glory in South Africa, is under contract until 2015.
    But he has been tipped for a move away from the Mestalla this summer with Real Madrid and Barcelona both believed to be monitoring his situation.
    Mata has admitted he is not looking to leave Los Che, who will be playing UEFA Champions League football next season, but it has now been revealed that tentative approaches have been made.
    Mata's father, Juan senior, admitted that Valencia will now decide whether to part with the gifted youngster, who is currently on a break after his international commitments.
    He is quoted as saying in the Daily Mirror: "There have been calls from foreign clubs - but now the final decisions rests with Valencia and he is on his holidays."

Uploads

Cook (r) - delighted with deal.
    MAN CITY SELL EASTLANDS NAME

Manchester City have confirmed the City of Manchester Stadium at Eastlands will be renamed the Etihad Stadium after striking a 10-year partnership agreement with Etihad Airways.
    The stadium rebranding was just one of several commercial deals announced by City chief executive Garry Cook and James Hogan, chief executive of the airline.
    Cook said: "We are delighted to be expanding our relationship with Etihad Airways through this comprehensive partnership agreement.
    "Most importantly, in addition to delivering significant revenue at a key stage in the club's evolution, the agreement creates exciting opportunities for our two organisations to co-operate more deeply commercially and on media and community initiatives in the future."

Uploads

Vaughan - becomes Bruce's ninth summer signing.
    VAUGHAN WRAPS UP SUNDERLAND MOVE

Blackpool midfielder David Vaughan has completed his free transfer to Sunderland after signing a three-year deal.
    The 28-year-old Wales international became Steve Bruce's ninth summer signing when he followed Wes Brown and John O'Shea into the Wearside club in a busy 24 hours.
    Vaughan was a key figure in the Seasiders' climb into the Barclays Premier League, but left within hours of sidekick Charlie Adam, who joined Liverpool yesterday, after rejecting an extended stay at Bloomfield Road.
    Bruce said: "David was excellent throughout last season, including both games against us, so it's only natural that he caught the attention of a number of top clubs.
    "We are delighted that he sees his future at Sunderland. His experience, grit and energy in midfield will be valuable assets to us and we are now looking forward to him joining up with the squad for pre-season training."
    Vaughan began his career as a trainee at Crewe and after a spell in Spain with Real Sociedad, joined Blackpool for 200,000 three years ago.
    However, relegation from the top flight at the end of last season prompted him to look elsewhere and the Black Cats made their move amid interest from West Brom among others.
    He joins fellow midfielders Ahmed Elmohamady, Craig Gardner and Sebastian Larsson among the newcomers in a department which this summer has lost Jordan Henderson to Liverpool, Bolo Zenden at the end of his contract and Sulley Muntari following a disappointing loan spell.
    Bruce has also landed goalkeeper Keiren Westwood and O'Shea and Brown at the back and strikers Connor Wickham and Ji Dong-won.
    The Black Cats finished 10th in last season's Premier League, but might have fared even better had it not been for a prolonged injury crisis.
    Bruce is determined to build upon that and despite having invested heavily already, may not yet be finished.

Uploads

Gera - talks with West Brom ongoing,.
    GERA POISED TO RETURN

West Brom have confirmed they have opened talks with midfielder Zoltan Gera about a return to the Hawthorns.
    But any deal will be subject to Gera proving his fitness after undergoing surgery on an ankle problem yesterday.
    Gera spent four seasons at the Hawthorns before moving to Fulham in the summer of 2008.
    He is a free agent after his contract at Craven Cottage expired last month.
    Albion said in a statement: "In light of recent media speculation, Albion can confirm they are in discussions with former player Zoltan Gera and his advisors about a return to The Hawthorns.
    "The Hungarian star decided to seek a new challenge after his Fulham contract expired on June 30 and he is now a free agent.
    "The Baggies have opened contract talks with Gera, who became a firm fans' favourite during his previous four-year spell at the club between 2004 and 2008.
    "The 32-year-old has undergone a Hawthorns medical, which revealed he was carrying an ankle injury from last season.
    "Gera underwent surgery to rectify the problem yesterday and Albion have agreed to oversee his rehabilitation.
    "If, as expected, he makes a full recovery - to the satisfaction of the club's medical staff - and agrees personal terms, he will rejoin Albion.
    "Gera is not eligible for the first three games of the 2011-12 season after he was sent off in his final match for Fulham."

Uploads

Motta - wants Italy stay.
    NO ARSENAL OFFER FOR MOTTA - AGENT

Thiago Motta's agent insists the Italy midfielder wants to stay at Inter Milan next season and has not turned down a move to Arsenal.
    Reports in Italy have linked the 28-year-old with a move away from the San Siro this summer, with the Gunners among the clubs reportedly interested in his services.
    However, his agent Daniele Canovi told Gazzetta dello Sport: "The player has never turned down an offer from Arsenal.
    "He wants to remain at Inter and if the coach (Gian Piero) Gasperini wants him, he will continue to wear the Nerazzurri colours."
    Motta joined Inter in summer 2009 from Genoa and played a key role in the club winning a Serie A, Coppa Italia and Champions League treble in his first season.
    He scored four goals in 19 appearances in Serie A last term.

Uploads

McGinn - seeking regular football.
    McGINN'S LOAN MOVE

Celtic winger Niall McGinn has signed a season-long loan deal at Brentford.
    The Northern Ireland international was left out of Celtic's squad for their pre-season tour of Australia and he has moved to the League One club to increase his chances of regular football.
    The 23-year-old has scored six goals in 36 appearances since signing for Celtic in January 2009.
    Brentford manager Uwe Rosler told his club's official website: "Niall wants to play at the highest level and we can help him do that."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast