Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 09-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 09-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 09-07-11

Odemwingie - contract talks ongoing.
    HODGSON CONFIDENT OVER ODEMWINGIE

Roy Hodgson is confident West Brom striker Peter Odemwingie will reach an agreement over a new contract.
    Odemwingie was the Baggies' leading scorer with 15 goals last season and has been the subject of speculation linking him with a move away from The Hawthorns.
    But head coach Hodgson has seen positive signs from Odemwingie since returning for pre-season training that suggest he will be happy to stay.
    Hodgson said: "Peter has been excellent in training this week. He sails through the training when everyone else is fighting hard to do the work. He seems to do it with relative ease.
    "He seems very satisfied, very happy, so I presume the contract discussions are going okay.
    "Don't forget, he does have a contract with the club. These discussions are to maybe prolong it and reward him for what he did last season.
    "It's not as if he is out of contract but I'm confident the chairman (Jeremy Peace) and Dan Ashworth (technical director) will reach an agreement with him.
    "I shall work on the basis he is a happy bunny and a West Brom player until that fateful day when someone tells me he isn't."
    Hodgson added: "I think we should be pleased our players attract interest.
    "If we are going to improve as a team, we need players in our team that other clubs envy and would like to have.
    "That for me is a sign your club is moving forward, when the players you have got are being envied."
    Hodgson believes he is "a maximum of three players" away from having a squad he will be satisfied and is hopeful midfielder Zoltan Gera will return on a Bosman transfer from Fulham.
    Gera spent four years at Albion before moving to Craven Cottage during the summer of 2008 and is expected to re-sign once he has recovered from Thursday's ankle operation.
    Hodgson said: "I make no secret of the fact Zoltan is a player I would be very interested in bringing back to West Brom.
    "It is where his career began (in the Premier League). I thought he continued it very successfully at Fulham and, now he is looking to move on again, it would be great if we can bring him back to West Brom.
    "Talks are ongoing. The operation may have complicated things slightly but I'm still confident that operation will go well and we will be able to sign him."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 09-07-11

Gunnarsson - on his way to Cardiff.
    CARDIFF CAPTURE GUNARSSON

Cardiff have completed the signing of Aron Gunnarsson on a free transfer after he decided to leave Coventry.
    The Icelandic midfielder's contract at the Ricoh Arena expired earlier this summer and the Sky Blues had been keen to tie him to fresh terms.
    However, Gunnarsson's agent revealed on Tuesday that the 22-year-old had decided his future lay elsewhere.
    A number of clubs from across Europe were interested in a player who is rated extremely highly, but it is Cardiff who have won the chase for his signature.
    The paperwork has been completed and is now subject to Football League approval along with the matter of training compensation between both clubs.
    Gunnarsson becomes the Bluebirds' fifth summer signing and on Saturday morning will travel with Malky Mackay's squad for the pre-season trip to Spain.
    Having begun his career in Iceland with Akureyri, Gunnarsson then switched to Dutch club AZ Alkmaar in 2005 before joining Coventry three years later.

Uploads

Neymar - keen on a move to Real.
    NEYMAR REVEALS REAL DREAM

Brazilian starlet Neymar has declared that he would love to join Real Madrid from Santos in January.
    The 19-year-old has emerged as one of the most exciting young talents in world football and is not surprisingly being coveted by some of Europe's top clubs.
    Chelsea and Manchester United have been linked with Neymar but it is Spanish duo Barcelona and Real Madrid who are believed to be leading the chase.
    Neymar has previously stressed that he is happy to remain at Santos for another season, but his agent has now revealed that it is the youngster's dream to join Real.
    According to his representative, Wagner Ribeiro, Neymar is also keen to play for Santos at the Club World Cup in December.
    Ribeiro admits it could then be the perfect time to head to the Santiago Bernabeu after the turn of the year.
    "The preference of the child (Neymar) at the moment is Real Madrid," said Ribeiro, who added that the player 'always said that they were the club of his dreams'.
    "We're not talking about the economic side, for that matter there is no problem.
    "We have to do the best for the boy, so you can make two dreams: the first being a world champion with Santos and make history, and the second dream is go to Real Madrid."

Uploads

CHELSEA PROMOTE EMENALO

Chelsea have named Michael Emenalo, their former assistant first-team coach, as the club's new sporting director.
    The 45-year-old, who took over Ray Wilkins' coaching job when the former England midfielder left the club in November, will oversee a scouting network and youth development programmes, as well as supporting new manager Andre Villas-Boas.
    A statement on Chelsea's website read: "Michael takes on a vital role that will assist the overall long-term football strategy of the club."
    Emenalo was a surprise choice to succeed Wilkins in November because of his lack of experience at the highest level.
    A former Nigeria international, he was brought to the club in a scouting position in 2007 when Avram Grant was in charge.
    Villas-Boas could find no place for him in his coaching set-up, though, and he has now been given the sporting director job.
    He told www.chelseafc.com: "Without delving too deeply into it, the first thing is that I'm going to be supporting the manager and working with him in making sure that things run smoothly.
    "I have the responsibility to direct and manage our scouting structure internationally and domestically, and to keep an eye on and assist the progress of the academy. That's the simple summation.
    "Over the next weeks and months I will be getting the scouts in place, finding the people that will lead the scouts along with me, and integrating the agendas and ideas of the different areas from the first team to the academy. After that it will hopefully be a question of reviewing our efforts and making sure it is bearing the fruits that we expect.

Uploads

Martinez - looking to keep key men.
    MARTINEZ HOPEFUL OF KEEPING STARS

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez believes he can hang on to his star players despite the constant speculation about them being picked off by bigger clubs.
    Winger Charles N'Zogbia, who last summer was on the verge of a move to Birmingham before the deal collapsed over personal terms, has been linked with a host of clubs as he only has 12 months left on his contract.
    The likes of striker Hugo Rodallega and James McCarthy have also attracted interest from Premier League rivals.
    However, the Latics manager is confident he can keep hold of those assets in order to continue the club's development.
    "There is no reason to think otherwise. The players are under contract," said Martinez, who was speaking at the announcement of a club record two-year shirt sponsorship deal with 12BET.
    "We've got a lot of good players and it is understandable people are looking at them.
    "There's been a lot of media speculation - that is part of being in the transfer window - but I am more focused on trying to reach the targets we set, get as fit as we can and enjoy every player we have in the squad.
    "We are working hard in pre-season to continue our development.
    "We don't know what is going to be around the corner so we are going to enjoy having these players but as a football club you have to be prepared.
    "Every player comes back to the club where they work for pre-season so they are not in the press or reading papers about themselves.
    "They know they have to work hard to ensure we start the season in the manner we finished it.
    "Don't think players come back thinking 'Where I am going to be?"'
    The arrival of goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi on a permanent deal from Bolton after last season's loan spell has cast into doubt the future of former Latics number one Chris Kirkland, who went to npower Championship side Leicester on loan in January.
    But Martinez said the former England international still had a part to play at the DW Stadium.
    "We've got four goalkeepers and that is something I wanted to have," added the Spaniard.
    "We have one very young - Lee Nicholls who is going to the Under-20s World Cup - and Mike Pollitt who is very experienced and we've just signed Ali Al Habsi.
    "As a player you want to play and I understand that."
    While he hopes to hang on to his best players, Martinez is not planning major arrivals.
    "I feel we are probably looking at another player," he said.
    "We have lost Tom Cleverley, who went back to Manchester United after doing very well, but everyone else is stronger after another year's experience.
    "Tom staying was not an option. He came to us to get Premier League experience to help his development and he will go back to Manchester United and really fight for his place."

Uploads

Adam - finally made Liverpool switch.
    DALGLISH TIPS CHARLIE ADAM TO SHINE

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish is confident new signing Charlie Adam can have the same impact at the club as he did at Blackpool.
    The Scotland midfielder completed his 6.75million transfer on Thursday - six months after the Reds first tried to sign him.
    Blackpool held onto their prized asset in an attempt to stave off the threat of relegation but when that failed he made it clear he wanted a move to Anfield.
    That has now become a reality and Dalglish is looking forward to the 25-year-old reproducing the kind of displays - scoring 13 goals - which made him a stand-out performer for the Seasiders last season.
    "We're delighted our patience has paid off," said Dalglish.
    "We tried to sign Charlie in January. Blackpool wanted to keep him, which is understandable because they were trying to maintain their status in the Premier League.
    "Our interest never went away. Both the club and Charlie have been patient, and then Blackpool's circumstances changed because they were relegated.
    "We're looking forward to Charlie being a success here.
    "He made a huge contribution to Blackpool's team last year and we're looking forward to him making the same contribution here.
    "We know what he's got and that's why he was such a success last year in the Premier League."
    Having tied defender Glen Johnson and Andre Wisdom to new contracts in the last couple of days, youngster John Flanagan has become the latest player to agree a new deal.
    The 18-year-old impressed towards the end of last season in seven first-team appearances when he was thrust into the action because of injuries.
    "It's great for everybody," said Dalglish, who handed the teenager his debut at home to Manchester City.
    "Both him and Jack Robinson coming in last year gave the first-team players a lift.
    "Obviously Flanno played a lot of games, it never fazed him, he had a great attitude towards it and he made a big contribution.
    "The contract he's got is a reward for the work that he's done.
    "I'm sure he'd be the first one to pay tribute to the work done by the academy staff who've brought him this far.
    "They've given him over to us and they've given us a very good player, and it's up to us to try to develop him even further.
    "He just needs to continue to build on the good start he's made.
    "He never got carried away with the success he had and the many complimentary words that were spoken about him, and I'm sure he won't get carried away with signing a new contract.
    "Sometimes you rest on your laurels but I'm sure he won't."

Uploads

Boateng - 17m asking price.
    BAYERN BLAST PRICE FOR BOATENG

Bayern Munich's chief executive Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has taken a swipe at Manchester City's hefty asking price for Jerome Boateng.
    The 22-year-old has not been able to settle in at his new club since a reported 10.5 million move from German giants Hamburger SV in 2010.
    However, the German international may find it difficult to complete his dream move back to the Bundesliga because Roberto Mancini seems to be taking a stubborn stance on his 17m valuation.
    That transfer hike has angered Rummenigge in particular who believed City were using "tactics" to get clubs to stump up extra cash unfairly to capture the versatile defender's services.
    "They are using a tactic I've never seen. They don't respond, even if we try to contact them," he told The Sun.
    "I think they are going to have 48 players under contract but, according to Financial Fair Play, they can have only 25.

"According to their last balance sheet, if I'm correct, they're down 127m.
    "Maybe they still have a trick up their sleeves but I'm not sure they will be permitted to play in the Champions League."

Uploads

Rodallega - says his future is at Wigan.
    RODALLEGA ADMITS ARSENAL INTEREST

Wigan striker Hugo Rodallega has revealed that Arsenal are among the clubs monitoring his progress and he would be open to a move if a deal can be agreed that suits everyone.
    The Colombian, currently away on international duty at the Copa America, maintains that he will be happy to return to the DW Stadium for the start of the new season.
    He remains under contract with the Latics until next summer and will leave any decision about his future to the club.
    Rodallega's impressive performances in the Premier League over the past couple of years have seen him linked with a summer departure, with Sevilla and Villarreal both previously thought to be keen on taking him to Spain.
    The 25-year-old claims Everton and Arsenal are also keeping tabs on his progress, although nobody has yet stepped up their interest.
    Rodallega has refused to rule out a switch, though, confessing that he has always admired the Gunners.
    "Arsenal are interested in me and this is a club I have always liked," he told reporters in Argentina.
    "There are many teams interested, it's true. Villarreal, Sevilla, Arsenal also have some interest, Everton of England.
    "There is a lot of speculation but my future at this moment is at Wigan.
    "I have signed for one more year in Wigan but if the club decides on my sale that is no problem if the subject is positive for all parties."
    Wigan manager Roberto Martinez stated on Friday that he expected to keep hold of all his key players, including Rodallega and Charles N'Zogbia.

Uploads

Charles N'Zogbia - Wigan star.
    WHELAN: WE HAVE TO SELL N'ZOGBIA

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has revealed the club "have to sell" winger Charles N'Zogbia, despite manager Roberto Martinez insisting he would keep hold of his star names ahead of the new Barclays Premier League season.
    N'Zogbia, 25, has been linked with a move away from the DW Stadium with the likes of Aston Villa and Liverpool potential suitors, but Martinez maintained only on Friday that he, along with reported Arsenal target Hugo Rodallega, would not be sold although Whelan has since claimed otherwise.
    "We have to sell Charles N'Zogbia because he's on the last year of his contract," he told talkSPORT.
    "We can't keep him if a big club comes for him and he does deserve a big club because he's that kind of quality player."
    The France international could walk away from Wigan for nothing next summer and could also receive a much bigger wage if he were to move on, but yesterday Martinez, talking at the announcement of a new shirt sponsorship deal, was bullish in his statement regarding the futures of his best players
    He said: "We've got a lot of good players and it is understandable people are looking at them.
    "There's been a lot of media speculation - that is part of being in the transfer window - but I am more focused on trying to reach the targets we set. The players are under contract."
    Whelan seemed to contradict those statements today and admitted keeping hold of former Newcastle man N'Zogbia would be hard.
    "We would love to keep him and pay him what he wants to stay with us but it's a very difficult situation.
    "He's such a great player and we are such a small club sometimes we don't go together," Whelan added.

Uploads

Cole - Stoke interest.
    STOKE CHASING COLE AND WOODGATE

Stoke chairman Peter Coates has admitted the club are negotiating moves for Carlton Cole and Jonathan Woodgate.
    Striker Cole joined fellow England internationals Rob Green and Scott Parker as part of the Hammers' 26-man squad that travelled to Switzerland yesterday for a six-day training camp.
    The 27-year-old has been linked with a move to the Potters since the Hammers' relegation from the Premier League and a deal could now be completed, for an initial fee of around 4.5million.
    Coates said: "Cole's a player the club is interested in and Tony Pulis has liked him for a long time, we think he's a very good player.
    "It's not done and dusted but it's work in progress.
    "He's a player the club is interested in and Tony Pulis has liked him for a long time, we think he's a very good player."
    QPR were also thought to be monitoring Cole's availability but he could now be set for a move to the Britannia Stadium, which may end Pulis' pursuit of Birmingham forward Cameron Jerome.
    Meanwhile, Coates has admitted free agent Woodgate is interesting the club, with a view to a play-per-play deal being offered to the England international.
    The former Middlesbrough, Leeds, Newcastle, Real Madrid and Tottenham defender's career has been plagued by injury.
    Coates added on talkSPORT: "We're working on that and it's something we're prepared to do.
    "It's work in progress but we're taking a risk. We hope we'll be able to do something."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast