Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 11-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 11-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 11-07-11

Fabregas and Nasri - look set for Arsenal stay.
    WENGER ADAMANT ON FABREGAS AND NASRI

Arsene Wenger says captain Cesc Fabregas is staying at Arsenal and that Samir Nasri is very happy at the Emirates.
    Gunners captain Fabregas is wanted by his boyhood club Barcelona, while Nasri is a reported target for several of Arsenal's Premier League rivals.
    Widespread reports had suggested that Wenger was finally prepared to allow Spain international Fabregas to return to the Nou Camp this summer, providing Barcelona meet the club's 35million asking price.
    However, Wenger is not planning to let the 24-year-old leave the Emirates Stadium and he also intends to keep Nasri at the club.
    France international Nasri has just 12 months remaining on his contract and has been the subject of reported interest from Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United.
    Premier League champions United have reportedly seen a 20million bid knocked back already, while City were rumoured to be willing to pay 23million after recently signing Gael Clichy from Arsenal.
    But, after arriving in Malaysia for the Gunners' pre-season tour of the Far East, Wenger confirmed he expects Fabregas and Nasri to be part of his plans for the coming campaign.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 11-07-11

Gervinho - new Arsenal signing.
    ARSENAL TIE UP GERVINHO DEAL

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed the signing of Gervinho from Lille.
    The Ivorian forward has been locked in talks with the Gunners over the past week after the two clubs agreed a deal earlier in the month.
    Now he has finalised his move from the French champions, according to Wenger, who revealed the news as Arsenal arrived in Malaysia ahead of their Asian pre-season tour.
    Gervinho did not travel with Arsenal as part of their initial group and it remains to be seen whether he will link up with the squad.
    Gervinho is Arsenal's second signing of the summer following on from the capture of youngster Carl Jenkinson.

Uploads

Stewart Downing - linked with Arsenal move.
    NO GUNNERS BID FOR DOWNING

Aston Villa have not received any bid from Arsenal for winger Stewart Downing and remain determined to keep the player, Press Association Sport understands.
    Arsenal are reported to have joined Liverpool in the race to sign Downing, who made it clear when on England duty last month that he will not be signing a new contract with Villa.
    But sources close to the midlands club insist any possible interest has not been firmed up so far and new manager Alex McLeish wants to keep the former Middlesbrough player.
    Villa have already rejected bids of 12million and 15million from Liverpool for Downing, who has two years remaining of his current contract.
    If Villa find they are eventually left with no option but to sell Downing, then they will hold out for their original valuation of 19million.
    Wigan's Charles N'Zogbia has been linked with Villa as a possible replacement should Downing leave.
    McLeish came close to signing N'Zogbia last summer when in charge of Birmingham before a change in his wage demands ended hopes of the deal being completed.
    Villa are also monitoring West Ham midfielder Scott Parker, although no bid has been made.
    But the club finally expect the signing of Manchester City goalkeeper Shay Given to go through at some stage this week in a 3.5million deal.

Uploads

Jonathan Woodgate - joins Stoke.
    STOKE SIGN JONATHAN WOODGATE

Stoke have completed the free transfer signing of central defender Jonathan Woodgate.
    Woodgate joins the Potters after his contract at Tottenham expired and has signed a one-year deal.
    The 31-year-old former England international started out at Leeds before having spells with Newcastle, Real Madrid and Middlesbrough in a career blighted by injury.
    Speaking from the club's pre-season training camp in Austria, manager Tony Pulis said: "The lad is a top-class player and it's been well documented that he has had his injury troubles, but we believe that if his fitness is managed properly, he will play games for us.
    "We know that other Premier League clubs were keen on signing Jonathan, so we are delighted he has chosen us. It's a chance we are taking, but one we were keen to take because of the stature and quality of the player."
    He added: "We've effectively taken him on a pay-as-you-play deal which just shows how desperate the lad is to get his career back on the right track."
    Stoke chief executive Tony Scholes added: "There is no doubt that we have acquired a player with outstanding quality and experience but he is one who has clearly struggled with injuries over the past two years.
    "However, sometimes a fresh start can trigger a change of fortunes. Jonathan has been working very hard throughout the summer on his fitness so he is desperate to make the most of this opportunity and to play in the Premier League."
    Woodgate made just four first-team appearances over the last two seasons at Tottenham due to a groin problem.

Uploads

Bendtner - in talks over leaving Arsenal.
    BENDTNER AND ALMUNIA IN MOVE TALKS

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Nicklas Bendtner and Manuel Almunia are both holding talks about moves away from the club.
    The duo have not been included for the Gunners' tour of Asia as they are in transfer discussions with other clubs.
    Bendtner has been strongly linked with Borussia Dortmund and Fenerbahce in recent weeks, while Almunia looks set to return to Spain.
    "Both of them are possible departures," said the manager.
    "They are talking to other clubs at the moment. I cannot tell you which ones."
    Wenger, meanwhile, revealed that he does no intend to sign a replacement for Gael Clichy - who he sold to Manchester City.
    The Gunners boss says he is happy that he has Kieran Gibbs and Armand Traore, along with Thomas Vermaelen, who could also play there if required.
    "The plan for left-back is that we have Kieran Gibbs, Armand Traore and Thomas Vermaelen can play there too. So we have what we need," said Wenger - who admitted that new signing Carl Jenkinson will be involved with the first team.
    "Jenkinson is an interesting buy. We bought him from Charlton and hopefully he will push Sagna," he said.

Uploads

Wesley Sneijder - linked with Manchester United.
    NEVILLE WANTS MAN UTD TO SIGN SNEIJDER

Former Manchester United defender Gary Neville hopes to see Wesley Sneijder arrive at Old Trafford this summer - although he has stressed manager Sir Alex Ferguson will not pay over the odds for any player.
    United have been strongly linked with a move for Sneijder, who in 2010 reached the World Cup final with Holland and won the Treble with his club side Inter Milan.
    Last week Red Devils assistant manager Rene Meulensteen said he "could not think of a more ideal player for our team" than the 27-year-old midfielder and Neville is similarly confident that Sneijder would fit in well at United.
    "He is a great player who has played at some great football clubs like Real Madrid and Inter Milan, and it won't faze him coming here," Neville said.
    "He has the intelligence to play in areas where he is difficult to pick up, he can score goals and he can assist.
    "He would be a great signing, but I'm sure there are a number of clubs that are looking at him.
    "I hope that Manchester United get him, but I don't know whether that will be the case."
    The possibility of a deal for Sneijder is uncertain, particularly in light of Inter coach Gian Piero Gasperini's claim today that the playmaker wants to stay at the San Siro.
    Given that Sneijder is valued at around 35million and is under contract with Inter until June 2015, it would take a sizeable outlay to secure his services.
    Central midfield is a position Ferguson is keen to bolster following the retirement of Paul Scholes and departure of Owen Hargreaves at the end of last season, and Arsenal's Samir Nasri and Tottenham's Luka Modric are also reported to be on the Scot's radar.
    Neither of those would come cheap either, though, and while Neville accepts United could do with a player of that ilk, he is sure Ferguson - who has already recruited Phil Jones, Ashley Young and David de Gea in the past month - is not about to splash out an inflated sum to address the issue.
    "I know the manager will definitely be looking at the midfield areas - the creative areas," Neville said.
    "With Paul Scholes and Owen Hargreaves leaving, it does leave a slight gap there, but he certainly won't panic himself into buying somebody if the value is not there.
    "If the player is not there, he will go with those he has got.
    "He knows full well that the likes of Ryan Giggs, Michael Carrick, Darren Fletcher and Anderson are more than capable of delivering that high level of performance for a season, and there are young players as well that are coming through, who will have the ability to step in."
    Young was amongst the travelling party as United flew out to Boston on Monday to begin their pre-season tour of the United States.
    Manchester United's 2011 US Tour is delivered by DHL, the club's Official Logistics Partner. DHL will bring its unrivalled logistical expertise to support the team throughout the tour. For more information, visit www.manutd.com/Tour-2011.

Uploads

Roger Johnson - believed to be in talks with Wolves.
    WOLVES AGREE ROGER JOHNSON FEE

Wolves are closing in on the signing of Birmingham defender Roger Johnson after agreeing a fee approaching 7million, Press Association Sport understands.
    Johnson held talks with Wolves officials at Molineux on Monday morning and is now undergoing a medical.
    Sources close to Wolves anticipate the deal being completed sooner rather than later.
    Wolves boss Mick McCarthy has been keen to bring in a new centre-back since the end of last season.
    He had a 3million-plus bid rejected for Reading's Matt Mills before he moved to Leicester last week.
    But Johnson has been on his radar since the end of last season when Blues were relegated from the Premier League.
    City had initially been hoping to secure around 10million should Johnson leave St Andrew's but a compromise has been reached between the two clubs.
    Lifelong Chelsea fan Johnson moved from Cardiff to Birmingham in a 5million deal two years ago.
    He quickly adjusted to the top flight and formed an effective partnership with Scott Dann, another Championship player with Coventry.
    Wolves midfielder Jamie O'Hara will be sidelined for two weeks of pre-season training with a sore calf but will be fit for the start of the new campaign.
    O'Hara, signed last month from Tottenham for 5million, suffered the injury during the training trip to Ireland last week.
    O'Hara tweeted: "Calf still sore, maybe it's a strain. It could be a couple of weeks.
    "But there are five weeks until the start of the season and I'll be flying."
    The setback seems certain to rule O'Hara out of the opening pre-season friendly at Crewe this weekend.
    O'Hara made the permanent switch to Molineux after an initial loan spell in which he scored three goals in 14 games and played a key role in Wolves' top-flight survival.

Uploads

Zoltan Gera - set to sign for West Brom.
    GERA: MY DECISION TO LEAVE FULHAM

Zoltan Gera admits he rejected the chance to remain at Fulham under new boss Martin Jol after already verbally agreeing to rejoin West Brom.
    Midfielder Gera is set to put pen to paper with Albion when he proves his fitness after undergoing ankle surgery on Thursday.
    The Hungary international will sign a two-year contract with the option of another 12 months.
    He spent four years at the Hawthorns before moving to Craven Cottage in the summer of 2008.
    "There was a chance of me staying at Fulham but I had already made a verbal agreement with West Bromwich Albion," Gera told origo.hu.
    "After I spoke to Roy Hodgson, the Fulham manager changed. They wanted me to stay but I didn't want to break my agreement (with West Brom).
    "I'm grateful to Fulham for the years I spent there. I've received only good things from them," he added.
    "I felt good and they wanted me to stay. It's not true that they told me to go. It was my own decision. I considered it to be the best thing for me."
    Gera is hoping to return to training in a month's time and then he will formally put pen to paper at Albion.
    He said: "I hope I can attend training in one month but I wouldn't like to put a definite time on my recovery.
    "I needed this operation so I would not have any more problems with my ankle in the future.
    "I'm very grateful to West Brom for helping me. I'm happy that they made it public that we're close to agreeing a deal.
    "I'd love to sign my contract at West Brom and I think they want me too. I hope that everything will be cleared up in the near future.
    "If everything goes well I plan to sign a two-year contract with the option to extend it by a year."

Uploads

Owen Hargreaves - interests West Brom.
    BAGGIES SHOW INTEREST IN HARGREAVES

West Brom are interested in signing Manchester United discard Owen Hargreaves in a possible pay-as-you-play deal, Press Association Sport understands.
    Albion coach Roy Hodgson has registered his interest in Hargreaves, who was released by United after a series of injury problems.
    Hargreaves even posted videos of himself on YouTube last week to try and convince any would-be interested clubs of his fitness.
    He made just 27 appearances in four seasons at Old Trafford, but that has not stopped Hodgson making enquiries about the feasibility of snapping up Hargreaves - and reactivating his Premier League career.
    The former England international is keen to continue playing, but it remains to be seen whether Albion would be an attractive proposition to him, although Hodgson is a known admirer of his qualities.
    Hargreaves looked destined for a golden career after being one of England's star players at the 2006 World Cup in Germany.
    However, injuries have blighted the hopes of the 30-year-old building on that success with the Red Devils.
    Albion are currently in the United States as part of their preparations for the new campaign.

Uploads

Wesley Sneijder - linked with Manchester United.
    SNEIJDER WANTS TO STAY AT INTER

Wesley Sneijder has warned his potential suitors that he will only leave Inter Milan this summer if the club decide to sell him.
    The Holland international is valued at 35million and has been strongly linked with a move away from the San Siro.
    Manchester United and Primera Liga side Malaga are leading the chase to acquire his services.
    "I would like to remain," Sneijder said in an interview in July's Italian issue of Vanity Fair magazine."I have marvellous team-mates.
    "(Inter captain Javier) Zanetti has an extraordinary character, he has kept us together even at times when the morale was low.
    "My wife Yolanthe and I love Inter, the Italian fans and Italy.
    "Of course, if the club decided to sell me, I will go wherever they tell me to go. But I would be disappointed.
    "We have felt so good here that I would miss the city of Milan and Inter.
    "But football is like that. When I was sold from Real Madrid to Inter, I would have preferred to have remained in Spain.
    "Whatever will be, will be."
    Sneijder joined Inter from Real Madrid in 2009 and helped the Nerazzurri win the Champions League, Serie A and Coppa Italia in his first season in Milan.
    The former Ajax star was limited by injuries to just four goals in 25 league appearances for Inter last season.
    Inter finished runners-up in Serie A but won the Coppa Italia.
    New Inter coach Gian Piero Gasperini hopes the 27-year-old will stay put.
    Gasperini, who replaced Leonardo earlier this month at the helm of the Nerazzurri, has been impressed by Sneijder's positive attitude during Inter's pre-season training at Pinzolo, in the Val Rendena valley.
    Gasperini said on Monday: "Sneijder is a great player, a top player.
    "His approach has been more than positive.
    "He is here (at Pinzolo) and he wants to remain with us."
    Sneijder is under contract with Inter until June 2015.
    Meanwhile, Inter are on the verge of signing Brazilian full-back Jonathan from Santos.
    The 25-year-old is under contract with the South American side for a further three seasons but has a release clause set at 15million euros.
    When asked about Jonathan's possible arrival, Gasperini said: "His arrival is imminent."
    Jonathan won the Copa Libertadores with Santos just seven months after joining the club from Cruzeiro.
    He is considered a potential successor for Inter defender Maicon, who has been linked in recent months with a move to Real Madrid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast