Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 12-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 12-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 12-07-11

Tevez - set to leave Manchester City.
    TEVEZ 'CLOSE' TO CORINTHIANS MOVE

Carlos Tevez's representative Kia Joorabchian says he thinks the Manchester City striker's return to Corinthians is "close" to being completed.
    Tevez was previously with Corinthians for two years after joining from Boca Juniors in 2004.
    He left Brazil for West Ham, before his big-money switches to Manchester United and Manchester City.
    But the 27-year-old Argentine is now desperate to leave Eastlands, citing his family as the reason for his desire to leave England.
    It was presumed a move to another country in Europe, most likely Spain, would be on the cards but now an unlikely return to South America appears to be a realistic option according to Joorabchian.
    A bid of around 40million is understood to have been lodged by the Brazilian giants, who are reportedly able to fund the deal because of sponsorship deals and a new TV deal which has boosted the finances of Brazil's top clubs.
    "Negotiations have already begun. Corinthians are in contact with us," said Joorabchian.
    "His [Tevez] dream and mine is to see him back with Corinthians. He said he has a job that does not end there, he wants to return because he has the dream of winning the Copa Libertadores.
    "Corinthians have made the offer, now it depends only on Manchester City. The City has to make a decision.
    "Everybody is working to make this happen, I, Corinthians, Tevez, Adrian Ruocco (the other agent who work on Tevez).
    "It is impossible to determine the situation, but I think it's close."
    Joorabchian insists that Tevez would only consider playing for two clubs in South America.
    "Carlos will not play for any other Brazilian club than Corinthians, that is an absolute certainty," he told ESPN Brasil.
    "Boca Juniors and Corinthians are in his heart. He would only play for the these two clubs if he when back to Brazil and Argentina."
    The Brazilian transfer window closes on July 20, which means any deal need to be done soon - but Joorabchian insists that Tevez does have other options in Europe.
    "The priority is Corinthians, but we have other options," he said.
    "Carlos was the best player in the Premier League [last season], he was the scorer of the team for two consecutive years, he won the FA Cup.
    "So he has much appeal in the European market. He is no longer a boy, today he is a great player."
    Joorabchian insists that playing in Brazil would not be a step down for Tevez, adding: "Football in Brazil has changed, grown. His dream was always to return to the Corinthians, and this time there is a possibility."
    Corinthians have also confirmed they are hopeful a deal will be done, their director of football Duilio Monteiro Alves said: "I don't want to get our fans' hopes up. We'll try... that's all I can say.
    "[Signing Tevez] isn't impossible. It's a dream we're trying to realise."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 12-07-11

Samir Nasri - also linked with Manchester City.
    FERGIE: NASRI UNLIKELY TO JOIN MAN UTD

Sir Alex Ferguson has claimed that Samir Nasri could leave Arsenal - but not to join Manchester United.
    The United manager made his comments shortly after arriving in Boston on the first leg of his club's five-match United States tour.
    With Paul Scholes now retired, Ferguson is on the look-out for a replacement.
    Wesley Sneijder and Luka Modric have been linked with an Old Trafford move, but so has Nasri, with United said to have had a 20million bid for the France midfielder turned down.
    "I don't think he is coming to United," said Ferguson.
    "That is all I can tell you. I think that he has agreed to go somewhere else."
    Nasri has gone on tour with Arsenal to Malaysia and manager Arsene Wenger has indicated he may keep the player for the final year of his contract, and thus risk losing him for nothing in 12 months' time.
    "That is his decision," said Ferguson. "He is the manager.
    "If he stands by that decision, it is a brave one. I don't know if the (Arsenal) directors will enjoy that one, but it is possible.
    "Maybe he will have to stay."
    However, if he is not going to get Nasri, Ferguson refuses to abandon the idea of bringing in anyone, even if a like-for-like replacement for Scholes is beyond his imagination.
    "It is impossible to get another Paul Scholes," he said.
    "But if we get a player along similar lines in terms of the quality of his passing and vision, we would have to do something.
    "The difficulty is, if you picked the best four midfield players in the world, Scholes would be there with Xavi and Andres Iniesta. Then you could take a pick from somewhere else.
    "It is a loss. How do we overcome it? The next few weeks could help us in that respect. Someone could emerge out of the youth team and we carry on."
    If Nasri is to leave Arsenal and not end up at Old Trafford, Manchester City would be the obvious destination.
    And should Ferguson get anyone, Sneijder is now the most likely given Modric has already expressed a preference for Chelsea if he can engineer a move from Tottenham.
    Whether United are willing to pay the Dutch World Cup star a weekly wage of around 250,000 is another question.
    Ferguson does know he is building for the future though, even if he refuses to state United are emerging into a new era despite the retirements of Scholes, Gary Neville and Edwin van der Sar, plus the exits of long-serving duo Wes Brown and John O'Shea and arrivals of Phil Jones, Ashley Young and David de Gea.
    "Not next season," said Ferguson of the 'new' United claim.
    "We try to look ahead. We try to make sure there is an influx of young players coming in to replace the older players that are dying on their feet.
    "For the last three years we were well aware of the need to replace Ryan Giggs. Fortunately, he is carrying on and performing the way he does.
    "But Gary Neville left, Paul Scholes and Edwin van der Sar retired. We were well aware we would have to replace them at some point.
    "The work in the last two or three years has been about that. Trying to make sure there is the quality in the squad to carry on the success."

Uploads

Luka Modric - Chelsea transfer target.
    REPORT: CHELSEA MAKE NEW MODRIC OFFER

Chelsea have increased their bid for Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric to 27million, Sky Sports sources understand
    Last season's Premier League runners-up have been expected to make an improved offer for the Croatia international since failing with a 22m approach in mid-June.
    Having lost Michael Essien for up to six months due to knee surgery, Chelsea, under the management of Andre Villas-Boas, have now made their latest approach with a 5m increase on their original offer.
    Modric has said he may request a transfer in order to move to Stamford Bridge, but Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy has already made it clear that the 2008 signing from Dynamo Zagreb will not be sold.
    It therefore seems unlikely that the 27m will be accepted and earlier on Monday evening Spurs manager Harry Redknapp described the previous 22m offer as a "joke".
    Redknapp, though, has acknowledged that Levy makes the final decisions regarding transfers and the White Hart Lane boss has also admitted the need to sell in order to bring new players into his squad after the failure to qualify for the Champions League.
    Speculation has suggested that Lyon's 9m-rated Bosnian, Miralem Pjanic, is being considered as a potential replacement, but it was also reported over the weekend that Tottenham were preparing a new 80,000-a-week five-year contract offer for Modric.
    The deal would make the 25-year-old Tottenham's highest paid star, but the player's threat to request a transfer means it appears impossible for Levy to convince him he has a future at White Hart Lane.
    Modric, who could potentially earn 120,000-a-week at Chelsea, has already claimed that Levy has betrayed a gentleman's agreement which was struck when he signed a new six-year contract worth 50,000-a-week in May 2010.
    Levy insists no such agreement exists, but Modric believes there was an understanding that Tottenham would listen to offers from perceivably bigger clubs.

Uploads

Kenny Miller - could return to Rangers.
    KENNY MILLER COULD RETURN TO RANGERS

Rangers boss Ally McCoist says he has not ruled out offering striker Kenny Miller a third spell at Ibrox.
    Miller, who departed Gers in January for Bursaspor, is reportedly unsettled in Turkey and wants to leave the club.
    The 31-year-old has already played for the Scottish champions twice in his career and new manager McCoist says a third stint is a possibility.
    He told the Daily Record: "Kenny has never been out of my thoughts. He is a player who did very, very well for us.
    "He is a good lad and gets on well with everyone here - he knows everyone at the club.
    "I certainly wouldn't rule Kenny out but I haven't spoken to him at any great length about it because he is still under contract at Bursaspor. It's an avenue we will look at as Kenny ticks all the boxes in terms of what we're looking for.
    "I'd imagine I'll be speaking to him again in the next couple of days."
    McCoist is optimistic of making his second signing as manager by the end of the week, having already confirmed Espanyol defender Raul Rodriguez as a target.
    He added: "I'll be really honest and say I'm hopeful that by the end of the week we'll have some movement."
    McCoist hopes whoever he brings in up front will have as much success as Nikica Jelavic, who hit 19 goals for Gers last season despite seeing his campaign hindered by injury.
    "I'm really excited about the prospect of seeing a fully-fit Jelavic play for the entire season," said McCoist.
    "He's the real deal and a proper striker. Some strikers have different attributes - some score goals, some hold the ball up, some get headers at the back post.
    "But Jelavic's percentage in most of those things is higher than a lot of strikers. He has a degree of quality in all of those things and he's physically strong as well."
    Meanwhile, McCoist admits he has no idea why 20-year-old winger Gregg Wylde has not signed a new contract at Ibrox after it was offered.
    "Gregg hasn't signed his contract. Why not? I don't know - that would be a good question for you to ask him," he said.
    "A contract has been put to him and I think it will be our final offer. I hope all my players are getting good advice about these things but I have met his parents and they are great people."

Uploads

Shay Given - set for Aston Villa move.
    PETROV HOPES VILLA SIGN GIVEN

Aston Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov believes Manchester City goalkeeper Shay Given would be the ideal replacement for Brad Friedel.
    Given's 3.5 million move from City is expected to go through later this week subject to a successful medical.
    It will be new Villa manager Alex McLeish's first signing since replacing Gerard Houllier last month.
    Petrov was sorry to see Friedel leave Villa - for Tottenham - after a three-year spell but is confident 35-year-old Given will fill the void.
    The Bulgaria international said: "Shay is one of the best keepers in the league and, if he comes to us, it will be a great signing for us.
    "He's got European experience and Premier League experience so what else do you need?
    "Brad Friedel was a big loss. He played a major part at this club and I was sad to see him go.
    "He was outstanding for us, for his age, and he showed everybody it doesn't matter how old you are.
    "He's signed another two year contract (at Tottenham) at the age of 40.
    "But Shay would be a great signing and I hope that could happen."

Uploads

Stoke's bid for Carlton Cole has been accepted.
    STOKE AGREE FEE FOR CARLTON COLE

Stoke have agreed a fee with West Ham for striker Carlton Cole.
    The 27-year-old England international is currently in Switzerland with the Hammers squad for a pre-season training camp but is set to hold talks with Stoke boss Tony Pulis upon his return.
    Potters chairman Peter Coates told Sky Sports News: "We have agreed terms with West Ham, that's done. Now it's a case of can we agree terms with Carlton?"
    Cole joined West Ham from Chelsea in July 2006 and has scored 42 goals in 165 appearances.
    But he found the net just five times in the Barclays Premier League last season and is now poised to move on in the wake of the Hammers' relegation.
    The fee is believed to be an initial 4million with a possible 2million add-ons.
    Coates admits this is not the first occasion Stoke have attempted to sign Cole but is hoping this time a move will come to fruition.
    "We come from two different places. He has got an injury problem - he has always had that - and that is a risk you take so we have to factor that in," he said.
    "But he is a good player and Tony has always liked him. Manager's like different players but Tony has always liked him.
    "I think we've tried to sign him around three times over the past few years without succeeding so maybe we will get somewhere this year."
    Cole is currently away in Switzerland as part of the Hammers' 26-man squad that travelled to Switzerland on Friday, which Coates admits has delayed a potential deal.
    "We're still on the case," he added. "The team is still away at the moment. They come back Thursday this week, I think.
    "Tony likes to be around for these things.
    "Now we've done a deal with the club it really needs his input with the player because he likes to talk to them and make sure they are on board, and he is on board and everything is ok from his point of view.
    "But we see that work in progress and hope that something can be done."
    The former Chelsea striker was reportedly subject of a recent 3million bid from the Potters and could now become the next high-profile departure from the relegated Hammers after fellow frontman Demba Ba joined Newcastle.
    QPR were also thought to be monitoring Cole's availability but he could now be set for a move to the Britannia Stadium, which may end Pulis' pursuit of Birmingham forward Cameron Jerome.

Uploads

Sneijder - only "mega-galactic" offers will be considered.
    INTER WARN OFF SNEIJDER SUITORS

Inter Milan technical director Marco Branca has warned Wesley Sneijder's potential suitors he will only leave if the club receives a "mega" offer.
    Manchester United and Malaga are believed to be among the clubs chasing Holland international Sneijder, who is under contract until 2015, but Branca said: "Sneijder is absolutely non-transferable.
    "I signed his letter to be called up for pre-season training and our intention is not to sell any of our champions.
    "However, if mega-galactic offers were to arrive, we would discuss them, but right now that is not the case."
    Sneijder has stated several times this summer that he wants to remain with Inter.
    The 27-year-old joined from Real Madrid in 2009 and helped the Nerazzurri to a treble of Champions League, Serie A and Coppa Italia in his first season.

Uploads

Alexis Sanchez - Barcelona talk rejected.
    SANCHEZ EXIT REPORT SURPRISES LARINI

Udinese sporting director Fabrizio Larini has expressed surprise at claims from Spain that Alexis Sanchez will join Barcelona today.
    The Chilean winger has been strongly linked with a move to the Champions League winners.
    Reports in Spanish sports newspaper AS claimed the two clubs reached an agreement on Monday night allowing the 22-year-old to move to the Nou Camp in a 40million euros transfer deal.
    "I cannot confirm those reports," Larini told Tuttomercatoweb.it.
    "I will meet with Udinese owners tonight and we will see what happens.
    "Eventually, they will be the ones to give the news.
    "These are long negotiations and considering that Sanchez is playing in the Copa America, there is no need to resolve the situation immediately.
    "We cannot forget that earlier this summer the media had already confirmed Sanchez's move to Barcelona and in the end it was not true."
    Sanchez, who is under contract with Udinese until June 2014, has also been a reported target of Manchester City.