Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 13-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 13-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 13-07-11

Arsene Wenger - queried City's sponsorship deal.
    MAN CITY HIT BACK AT WENGER JIBE

Manchester City have branded Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger's outspoken comments about UEFA's Financial Fair Play rules "unfounded and regrettable".
    Wenger believes there are major questions for City to answer over their record 300million sponsorship deal with Etihad Airlines.
    Although the contract includes naming rights for Eastlands, plus a major input into a yet-to-be-built training facility close to the stadium, in addition to an extension of their shirt sponsorship, it is still not entirely clear how City ended up with such a gargantuan sum.
    As Etihad are the national airline of Abu Dhabi, home of Blues owner Sheikh Mansour, there are some who feel the figures have been artificially inflated to help City achieved UEFA's demand to live within their means.
    Wenger is one, putting City onto the defensive.
    "The financial details of the comprehensive agreement announced last week between Manchester City and Etihad Airways remain confidential and figures being speculated about are not accurate," said a club spokesman.
    "Manchester City is a pro-active member of the European Clubs Association and is working actively and with transparency with regard to Financial Fair Play.
    "In light of these facts, recent comments about the partnership by some observers are unfounded and regrettable."
    This might not cut much ice with Wenger who, speaking on Arsenal's Far East tour, had questioned the validity of Financial Fair Play if City could be allowed to negotiate such contracts.
    "It raises the real question about the credibility of the financial fair play," said the Gunners boss.
    "They give us the message that they can get around it by doing what they want. The difficulty and the credibility of the financial fair play is at stake.
    "If financial fair play is to have a chance, the sponsorship has to be at the market price. It cannot be doubled, tripled or quadrupled. If they bring the rules in they have to be respected.
    "He [UEFA president Michel Platini] is very strongly determined on that. He is not stupid, he knows that some clubs will try to get around that.
    "At the moment I believe they are studying, behind closed doors, how they can really strongly check it. That is his big test."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 13-07-11

Fabregas has been urged to stay by Wilshere.
    WILSHERE WANTS LOYALTY FROM CESC

Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere admits he would be devastated if Cesc Fabregas were to leave the Gunners and hopes the Spain international will be a "real man" and show the same loyalty to the club he did last year.
    Wilshere has also stressed the importance of keeping key players like Fabregas and Samir Nasri as Arsenal seek to win some silverware next season.
    Both Fabregas and contract rebel Nasri have been heavily linked with moves away from Arsenal this summer, with Fabregas again being courted by his former club Barcelona, who failed in their bid to take the 24-year-old back to the Nou Camp last summer.
    Wilshere, 19, praised Fabregas for his loyalty on that occasion and is keeping his fingers crossed the midfielder - and other key players - opt to stay with the Gunners this summer.
    "Loyalty is a big part of football and it shows if you are a real man or not," Wilshere said.
    "If you are loyal, that means you're a real man. We have got loyalty at Arsenal - players have shown that in the past. Cesc showed that last year and hopefully a few more players can show it this year. Then we will see if we can get a trophy or not."
    He added: "We have to keep our best players if we want to win things. Any team wants to keep their best players. Look at Tottenham and what's happening with Luka Modric.
    "Robin (van Persie) said he would be devastated if we lose Cesc and it's the same for me. He has been a role model for me and he is the player I want to aspire to.
    "It would be a shame if we lose him but hopefully we can keep hold of him."

Uploads

Johnson - all set for Wolves move.
    WOLVES SET TO UNVEIL JOHNSON

Wolves will unveil Birmingham central defender Roger Johnson as their third signing of the summer in a deal approaching 7million.
    Wolves are staging a press conference at their Compton training ground on Wednesday to announce the signing of the former Cardiff player.
    The clubs have agreed a fee while Johnson has agreed personal terms and passed a medical.
    All that remains is for Johnson to formally put pen to paper on a four-year contract ahead of facing the media.
    Wolves boss Mick McCarthy has been tracking Johnson since the end of season when Birmingham's relegation from the Premier League was confirmed.
    Johnson moved from Cardiff to St. Andrew's during the summer of 2009 in a 5million deal and formed an effective partnership with Scott Dann during his two years at Birmingham .
    McCarthy will hope Johnson can help to shore up a defence which was guilty of leaking too many soft goals last season.
    The deal will take the Wolves boss' spending to 12million this summer, with midfielder Jamie O'Hara having moved from Tottenham in a 5million deal.
    Keeper Dorus de Vries moved to Molineux from Swansea on a Bosman transfer.

Uploads

Carlos Tevez - Corinthians target.
    CORINTHIANS WON'T UP TEVEZ BID

Corinthians president Andres Sanchez insists they will not raise their offer for unsettled Manchester City star Carlos Tevez.
    The Eastlands club have rejected Corinthians' initial bid of 35million for the Argentine with City thought to be holding out for a 50million transfer fee.
    Sanchez says if the deal is not agreed by Sunday the move will not happen, with the transfer window in Brazil set to close on July 20.
    "I was in Argentina for a Brazil match [at the Copa America], I spoke with Tevez and his representative on the phone," Sanchez told Lancenet.
    "Corinthians have made an offer of approximately €40million [35 million] to sign him permanently. This sum means we will be spending 20 to 25 per cent of our TV rights earnings if City accept it.
    "I have made an offer which I think City cannot refuse, and we will not raise it further. If they ask for [50 million], they will keep him.
    "If we haven't closed the deal by Sunday it won't happen this year."
    Tevez admits he would no problem returning to Corinthians after two successful years in Brazil prior to his move to England with West Ham in 2006.
    "An offer arrived and I would have no problem returning," said Tevez.
    "They got in contact with me, sent an offer to the club and in eight to 10 days the transfer market in Brazil closes."

Uploads

Jonny Evans - fresh competition.
    EVANS UNFAZED BY JONES ARRIVAL

Manchester United defender Jonny Evans believes he would not deserve to be at the club if he was not prepared to accept fresh competition for his place in Sir Alex Ferguson's plans.
    Two seasons ago, the Northern Ireland international appeared a worthy successor to Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic.
    But the form Evans showed as a regular stand-in deserted him last term.
    He was overtaken by Chris Smalling and, despite the departures of Wes Brown and John O'Shea to Sunderland, now faces an additional threat following the big-money arrival of Phil Jones from Blackburn.
    However, Evans is not fazed by the challenge.
    Now 23, the Belfast-born player has been around long enough to know battles always have to be fought at a club the size of United.
    "I have always thought that being at a club like Manchester United, if you can't accept a challenge of someone wanting your spot, you don't deserve to be here," he said ahead of their United States tour opener against the New England Revolution in Boston.
    "That is what Manchester United is all about. You are constantly being tested.
    "It is down to you, whether you are good enough, or whether you are putting the effort in to play for the first team."
    Evans was speaking at a Special Olympics event in Boston, organised in partnership with United's foundation and their main sponsors Aon.
    It was the first in a series of initiatives during the course of their three-week tour aimed at using the Special Olympics to offer sporting activities for local youngsters suffering from learning disabilities.
    Evans was an enthusiastic helper of the 31 kids involved, although his thoughts never strayed too far from next season, and the opportunity to wipe out memories of his side's Champions League final defeat to Barcelona.
    "That defeat will stick in the lads' heads," said Evans of the 3-1 reverse, when Barca produced a performance the equal of any from a club side in the history of the game.
    "These lads have been so successful throughout their careers but they still remember defeats.
    "I am sure they will have that at the back of their minds coming into the new season.
    "Barcelona have set the standard. They have gone to another level.
    "Maybe 10 years ago, when Manchester United went into Europe, there was a gap to bridge and we managed to do it.
    "The challenge is there for us again. Hopefully we can get closer to them."

Uploads

Stewart Downing - Liverpool target.
    McLEISH: DOWNING NEEDN'T GET DOWN

Alex McLeish expects Aston Villa winger Stewart Downing to maintain the right attitude and professionalism if his hopes of a move to Liverpool fail to materialise.
    Villa have rejected bids of 12million and 15million from the Reds for Downing and McLeish wants the England international to remain at the midlands club.
    McLeish says he overcame failing to secure a move to Manchester United as a player and would expect the same response from Downing if he is still at Villa next season.
    He said: "I've spoken to Stewart, I've told him I don't want to sell him.
    "There's an obvious distraction there for him but he's been a credit to himself and applied himself in the right way and worked his socks off in training. I don't see a problem professionally.
    "Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to sign me for Manchester United when I was at Aberdeen and that wasn't possible in the end.
    "That was a big disappointment but I got my head down and worked and I don't doubt Stewart has the character to get through this is he stays at the club.
    "It's part of your growing up as a footballer."
    Villa will demand 19-20million if it becomes apparent they cannot retain Downing, who has two years remaining of his current contract.
    McLeish is optimistic of signing a new keeper to replace Brad Friedel in the near future with Shay Given expected to complete a 3.5 million move from Manchester City.
    He said: "We certainly need a keeper and we are making progress. We would like it to happen a bit quicker but we are moving forward."

Uploads

Kenny Miller - set for Turkish talks.
    MILLER WAITING ON RANGERS RETURN

Kenny Miller is waiting to discover if Bursaspor will open the door to a possible return to Rangers.
    The Turkish club's director of transfers, Erkan Kamat, plans to speak to the Scotland international who is attracting the attention of Light Blues' boss Ally McCoist, who is considering a move to re-sign the former Celtic player for what would be his third spell in Govan.
    Miller was the top goalscorer in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League last season despite leaving in January, having struck 21 goals and Kamat accepts the player has had a problem settling in Turkey.
    "There is something on Miller's mind regarding his family," Kamat was quoted as telling STV.
    "It is difficult for him because his family is in Scotland. He is in Turkey.
    "In a few days' time we will see what happens.
    "I am meeting Kenny (on Wednesday) but, for the time being, Kenny Miller is a player of Bursaspor and will continue to be a player for Bursaspor.
    "I will have to make a plan. I can't say any more just now.
    "But I will meet Kenny, and then we will have a clearer picture."
    Kamat insists that Bursaspor will not let Miller return to Scotland for anything less than what they regard as his true valuation
    He said: "If the circumstances are right, if things are good, and the conditions are correct, then why not?
    "But Rangers have to pay serious money, a good transfer fee.
    "If Rangers are opening the door, we can maybe settle something.
    "It can happen but it is not just a case of opening the door, it's not that easy.
    "At the moment I am not talking about his valuation. We will see what Rangers want to do."
    Meanwhile, Steven Naismith is is expecting a tough challenge when they take on Bayer Leverkusen in Germany tonight.
    German minnows Sportfreunde Lotte and Bochum have both proved too strong for McCoist's men in their first two pre-season games but Naismith is confident the Light Blues will raise their game for the third match against the Bundesliga side.
    "The Leverkusen game is definitely one that excites you," the Scotland striker told the club's official website.
    "The two games we have out here have been quality but I'm sure Leverkusen will provide our toughest test yet.
    "We'll have to tighten up at the back and hopefully we can get off the mark ourselves by scoring goals as well.
    "Lotte and Bochum are a few games ahead of us in terms of their preparation and maybe that showed.
    "The results have been disappointing and the goals we have lost have been slack, but now is the time to make these mistakes."

Uploads

Keiren Westwood - has joined Sunderland.
    WESTWOOD: HARD WORK STARTS NOW

Keiren Westwood is in no mood to pat himself on the back after sealing his return to the Barclays Premier League.
    The 26-year-old goalkeeper completed his journey from the top flight to the Conference and back again when he signed for Sunderland on a Bosman free transfer from Coventry earlier this month.
    But a man who suffered the heartache of rejection by Manchester City as a 19-year-old will not congratulate himself on his return to the big time as he attempts to claim the number one spot for both the Black Cats and the Republic of Ireland.
    Westwood said: "I have gone from the Conference and I have worked my way up, so I think I'll have a go at it and see what the craic is.
    "It's a natural progression. Everyone wants to test themselves at the highest level and I'm no different.
    "I have worked my way through the leagues to get where I am now and I am not going to stop now.
    "The hard work is probably going to get harder, so I have got to get my head down."
    Westwood's initial task will be to persuade manager Steve Bruce that he should get the nod ahead of Belgium international Simon Mignolet with Craig Gordon currently working his way back from knee surgery.
    He may have a head-start with Bruce having revealed that his interest in the former Coventry man is long-standing, although Westwood knows it will count for little if he does not perform to his best.
    Westwood said: "When I met with the Gaffer, he said he had tried to sign me three times, so it's always nice to feel wanted.
    "This is the place for me. But he doesn't promise anyone anything. You have got to go out and earn your place and then perform well to stay in the team."
    The challenge is perhaps even bigger at international level with the fit-again Shay Given having returned from injury after Westwood made his first competitive start against Macedonia in March in his absence.
    Regular Premier League football will do the younger man's cause little harm, and having sampled life on the big stage, he is desperate for more.
    Westwood said: "I was very proud. The whole thing - the win, the game, the atmosphere in the ground and between the lads, everything - was just amazing.
    "It was just great to be involved in that.
    "But I have got to try to get into the team first. That's my first and foremost aim, to make the team here and to do well for Sunderland, and if I am doing well for Sunderland, that should take care of itself."

Uploads

Cesc Fabregas - 'suffering', says Xavi.
    XAVI REVEALS FABREGAS SUFFERING

Barcelona midfielder Xavi has revealed Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas told him he was "suffering" because of his desire to join the Catalan club.
    The transfer saga of Fabregas returning to his former club has been one of the most protracted, ongoing rumours in modern football but Xavi reckons his compatriot has made his preference of a return to the European champions clear.
    Xavi told Barcelona's official website: "I spoke to Cesc in Ibiza and he said he was suffering because he wanted to come. It's more like, he did everything he could to come and wants to leave Arsenal - although he made it clear that now everything depends on the selling club."
    Fabregas, 24, is a product of the Barcelona youth system but joined Arsenal in 2003 and has since become a key figure at the club.
    Barca coach Pep Guardiola earlier revealed he hoped there will be progress in the pursuit of Cesc Fabregas before the end of the week.
    Guardiola is reported to be unhappy with Barcelona president Sandro Rosell for his failure to sign Fabregas earlier in the summer, but is certainly hoping for an imminent update on the situation.
    "Now the situation about moves for reinforcements is very complicated, but I'm hopeful in the next few days it will become clear," he said on Catalunya Radio.
    "I'm always optimistic."
    Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger told Sky Sports News on Monday that he sees Fabregas leading his club in the hunt for trophies in the coming season
    "Cesc loves the club and hopefully we will manage. We know that this story for Barcelona has gone on for years now, we have to close that and focus on the season, hopefully with Cesc Fabregas," he said.
    With constant rumours linking Fabregas and Samir Nasri with moves away from the Emirates and Gael Clichy already signing for Manchester City, Wenger may enter the campaign with a new-look squad having already signed Charlton youngster Carl Jenkinson and Lille forward Gervinho.

Uploads

Michael Dawson - bemused by stories.
    DAWSON RUBBISHES SPURS RIFT TALK

Tottenham captain Michael Dawson has reacted angrily to claims that he has fallen out with the club's hierarchy over a new contract.
    Reports suggested that Dawson was unhappy at the Spurs' refusal to offer him an improved deal, but he insists he is completely happy at the club.
    The 27-year-old, who was made captain halfway through the 2009-10 season, says he is not looking for a new contract and is content with the terms of his current deal.
    "I have no idea where this story has come from - it certainly has not come from myself or any of my representatives," Dawson said.
    "I think I have always demonstrated that I am a proud player and captain of this club and nothing has changed in that respect.
    "I have an excellent relationship with everyone at this club from the chairman, to the players to the supporters and I wouldn't want false reporting such as this to impact on that.
    "There has been absolutely no fallout with anyone whatsoever. I still have four years left on my current contract and have no issues regarding it whatsoever. It is an honour to be captain of this football club and my sole focus is on getting ready for the new season with Spurs and, hopefully, England as well."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast