Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 14-07-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 14-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 14-07-11

Fabregas - long-term Barca target.

Arsene Wenger has called on Barcelona to show some respect in their public pursuit of Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas, but accepts there is little else his team can do but ride out all the constant speculation.
    Fabregas, who is nursing a hamstring injury, was a noticeable absentee from the first game of Arsenal's Asia tour on Wednesday, which saw the Gunners run out comfortable 4-0 winners over a Malaysia XI at the Bukit Jalil Stadium Contract rebel Samir Nasri madea a 25-minute cameo.
    Nevertheless, the constant rumours over the future of their skipper continue to overshadow the Gunners squad.
    In an interview published on Barcelona's official website, midfielder Xavi claimed earlier he had been in contact with Fabregas, and said his Spain team-mate man had told him he has been "suffering" because of his desire to rejoin the Catalan club.
    It is the latest in a long line of comments from the Barcelona camp clearly aimed at unsettling their former trainee.
    Wenger has had enough.
    "If I found Barcelona in exactly the same position, I believe a mutual respect between the clubs should stop this kind of comment," the Gunners boss said.
    "If it is true then it is very disrespectful and it is not the first time that Xavi has been disrespectful to Arsenal."
    Wenger added: "What is important is that Cesc Fabregas is contracted to Arsenal. That is a fact. Arsenal wants to keep him and all the rest is comment."
    Arsenal, though, showed few signs of being unsettled as they produced a confident display in very humid conditions.
    Youngsters Ryo Miyaichi, back from a successful loan spell at Feyenoord, and right-back Carl Jenkinson, who signed from Charlton earlier this summer, were named in the starting XI.
    Wales midfielder Aaron Ramsey opened the scoring with a fifth minute penalty, before Theo Walcott lobbed in a second ahead of the break. Carlos Vela's chip and a stoppage-time header from Tomas Rosicky sealed a comfortable win.
    Like Fabregas, Nasri has also found himself the centre of intense rumours as the France international has yet to sign a new deal, with suggestions Manchester City and Manchester United could be ready to test Arsenal's resolve with a 20million-plus offer as he would be a free agent in a year's time.
    Wenger, though, maintains the squad just have to get on with it.
    "We are a big club with many good young players so we are confronted with many rumours and speculation, but it doesn't affect much what's happening inside the club," he said.
    "We have to live with that and you could see when he [Nasri] played that he wasn't disturbed by that. He has always had a very good attitude."
    The Gunners will play the second match of their Asia tour in China, facing Super League side Hangzhou Greentown on Saturday.

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 14-07-11

Downing - fee agreed.

Liverpool are set to open talks with England winger Stewart Downing after settling on a fee with Aston Villa.
    Former Middlesbrough player Downing has been a prime summer target of Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish, and bids of 12million and 15million had been refused prior to yesterday's breakthrough.
    Downing effectively forced Villa's hand by submitting a formal transfer request and the midlands club have now accepted a bid, which has not been disclosed by either club but was last night reported to be worth 20m, for the England international.
    Negotiations can now begin with the player, who turns 27 later this month.
    Liverpool said in a statement on their website: "Liverpool have now been granted permission to discuss personal terms with the player and arrange a medical."
    Villa manager Alex McLeish had insisted he wanted Downing to stay in the midlands, as Liverpool hovered with intent.
    But the size of the latest offer proved irresistible, given Downing has only two years remaining on his contract.
    Downing made it clear only last month, when on England duty, that he would not sign an extension with Villa, effectively forcing them to listen to offers.
    Arsenal were reported over the weekend to have joined the competition for left-footed Downing, who can play on either wing.
    However, Villa denied receiving any offer from the Gunners, and barring a late intervention from Arsene Wenger the path appears clear for Downing to move to Anfield.
    Should the deal be concluded, the 27-cap international would become the third high-profile midfield recruit by Dalglish this summer, following the signings of Jordan Henderson from Sunderland and Charlie Adam from Blackpool.
    News of Downing's anticipated arrival came on the day Liverpool offloaded Paul Konchesky, a summer signing 12 months ago, to Leicester.
    With Milan Jovanovic also expected to leave, perhaps for Anderlecht, and others including Christian Poulsen, Alberto Aquilani and David Ngog thought to be available for transfer at the right price, Dalglish is rapidly rebuilding the squad he inherited from Roy Hodgson in January.
    Dalglish's team won 4-3 in a pre-season tour match in China against Guangdong yesterday, in which both Poulsen and Ngog scored.
    Downing's departure from Villa after just two years would be a setback for the midlands club, who sold Ashley Young to Manchester United last month.
    McLeish will now press ahead with plans to bring in new blood.
    The Scot has already been linked with Wigan's Charles N'Zogbia, whom he came close to signing when in charge of Birmingham, while goalkeeper Shay Given's 3.5m move from Manchester City is expected to go through soon.
    Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner said: "We believe there are replacements available in the market who can strengthen our squad ahead of the coming season, and we are in discussions as such.
    "We are also working hard to conclude a deal for a goalkeeper who we believe can also strengthen the side."

De Rossi - linked with host of English clubs.

Roma have insisted Premier League target Daniele De Rossi will not be leaving the club this summer.
    The 27-year-old has been strongly linked with the likes of Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea, and has just one-year left on his current deal.
    But the Italian giants are adamant De Rossi will not be sold and hope to tie him down to a new deal.
    "De Rossi's sale is not on the agenda, just as his contract renewal negotiations are not on the agenda for today," director of sport Walter Sabatini told the Gazzetta dello Sport.
    "I cannot weaken the side. By selling De Rossi and then bringing in Javier Pastore or anyone else, I would still be weakening Roma.
    "I have spoken to Daniele, we will speak with his agent and make an offer."

Jovanovic - keen on Anderlecht.

Liverpool winger Milan Jovanovic is keen on a move to Anderlecht.
    Jovanovic has been told he can leave Liverpool after a disappointing spell on Merseyside following his arrival on a free transfer from Standard Liege last summer.
    The Serbia international made only 18 appearances last season and does not figure in Kenny Dalglish's plans at Anfield.
    Jovanovic has held talks with Anderlecht over a possible return to Belgium and he admits his wife is eager for a move to Brussels.
    "My wife adores Brussels and is pushing me to return to Belgium where I only have one offer," Jovanovic told Foot Magazine.
    "I am still buzzing after my meeting with Anderlecht in Qatar. I was moved by the importance given to me by the Belgian sporting press over the past week. And that makes me think because Belgium is my second country!"
    French champions Lille have also expressed an interest in the 30-year-old and he admits he would consider a move to France.
    "Lille, like Anderlecht, are a nice option for me," added Jovanovic.
    "This is a good club, which plays at the top of the French game, a high-level competition and and who will play the group stage of Champions League. That's interesting. For now, I listen to everyone."

Bothroyd - new QPR signing.

New QPR signing Jay Bothroyd believes this season could be the start of something special at Loftus Road.
    The 29-year-old today penned a three-year deal to become Neil Warnock's first summer signing, before the former Sheffield United boss moved to add experienced former England international Kieron Dyer to his ranks this afternoon.
    Bothroyd has been a free agent since leaving npower Championship outfit Cardiff at the end of last season and hopes to bring his impressive form in south Wales to his new club.
    "Last year I scored 20 goals," he told the club's official website,
    "I'm a forward, I like to assist and I like to be involved in build-up play and help others.
    "As long as I'm contributing week in, week out, then I'm happy. The aim as a club is to stay in the Premier League.
    "I think it's very important to do that in your first season and build on that. This could be the start of something special."
    Bothroyd's move marks a return to Rangers for the striker, who was at the club's centre of excellence from the age of nine before moving to Arsenal.
    "QPR's a great club with a lot of history," he added.
    "I was here as a boy, when I was nine years old. This was my first club before I went to Arsenal. Twenty years later I'm back, and it's good to be here.
    "Coming back to London played a big part for me too. I can be around my family, which is great.
    "The last time I played in London was six years ago. I can't wait to get going."
    Bothroyd will be joined in west London by former Ipswich, Newcastle and West Ham attacking midfielder Dyer.
    The 32-year-old has been beset by injuries in recent years and was released by the relegated Hammers at the end of last season.
    However, Dyer has put pen to paper on a one-year deal in west London and is looking to shine once more in the Barclays Premier League.
    "I'm just delighted to be here," he said.
    "QPR are an ambitious club and when I sat down with Neil and he explained the vision for the club - specifically the hunger and the determination of the squad - I just wanted to be part of it. He totally sold the club to me.
    "I've got something to prove after the couple of years I've had, but I feel good and I'm really looking forward to playing my part next season."
    While some may consider the move for Dyer a gamble due to his injury problems, Warnock believes it is a deal that suits both parties.
    "When a player of Kieron's ability becomes available, you'd be crazy not to be interested," he said.
    "As far as I'm concerned it's a gamble worth taking. He really impressed me in training and it looks like he has been working hard on his fitness throughout the summer.
    "I instantly liked him when we met. You get feelings like that as a manager.
    "He's had a lot of problems, but he's got something to prove. He's a hell of a good player and I still think he's got an opportunity to impress with us.
    "He has a lot of experience and is desperate to play in the Premier League again. I like the hunger he's got and he wants to prove a point."

Aston Villa striker Nathan Delfouneso has signed a new contract that will keep him at Villa Park until 2014, the club have confirmed on Wednesday afternoon.
    England Under-21 star Delfouneso made 17 appearances for the club last season, scoring two goals.
    He also spent a period on loan at Burnley and was a part of Stuart Pearce's squad at the European Under-21 Championships earlier in the summer.
    The highly-rated 20-year-old could feature more heavily in the upcoming season given that Villa have released John Carew and sold Ashley Young to Manchester United.

Gudjohnsen - West Ham medical.

West Ham are poised to sign former Chelsea and Barcelona striker Eidur Gudjohnsen.
    The 32-year-old Iceland international is due to undergo a medical ahead of a move to Upton Park on a free transfer after he was released by Stoke at the end of last season.
    Barclays Premier League newcomers Swansea were also interested in Gudjohnsen but he is set to sign a one-year deal to link up with new Hammers boss Sam Allardyce.
    Gudjohnsen first came to prominence under Allardyce at Bolton 13 years ago, where he scored 27 goals in 77 appearances before moving to Chelsea for 5million.
    He came close to signing for West Ham in January last year but at the last minute decided to join Tottenham, and subsequent moves to Stoke and a loan switch to Fulham saw him fail to find the net for either club.
    Nevertheless, Allardyce wants Gudjohnsen to boost a forward line shorn of Demba Ba, Robbie Keane and Victor Obinna following the Hammers' relegation and with Carlton Cole's future still uncertain.
    Stoke have agreed an initial fee of around 4million for the striker but he has yet to agree personal terms.
    Yet despite his likely departure, Cole came on as a substitute during West Ham's 2-1 friendly defeat by FC Basel in Switzerland last night.
    Fellow England internationals Robert Green and Scott Parker did not feature as speculation continues over their destinations next season.
    Green has emerged as a target for West Brom boss Roy Hodgson while the Hammers are open to the possibility of loaning Parker back to Chelsea for a year.

Mevlut Erding - linked with Newcastle.

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew insists the cash to buy a top-class striker is still available as he attempts to push through a deal.
    On the day that club owner Mike Ashley's Sports Direct business announced profits of 200.4million, the Magpies were attempting to land the frontman they believe they need before the start of the new Premier League season next month.
    Paris St Germain's Mevlut Erding remains among their targets despite suggestions at the weekend that he intends to stay in France, but having previously missed out on the likes of Kevin Gameiro and Gervinho, Pardew is keen to make a significant breakthrough as soon as possible.
    He said: "I don't really want to mention names, but all strikers who are available, we are keeping a close eye on.
    "It's important that we keep bolstering the team as best we can.
    "We have obviously been looking for a striker - we are still bidding for a striker as we speak - so we are doing all we can to get the right players for Newcastle.
    "It's not easy, it's not an easy market - strikers are always the most difficult to get across the line - but we are working hard on it."
    Pardew hinted last week that he hoped to recruit two attack-minded players to supplement new additions Yohan Cabaye, Demba Ba, Sylvain Marveaux and Mehdi Abeid, but admitted today that his remaining transfer activity will depend on the outcome of his striker search.
    He said: "It depends, really, on the attacker that we hope to secure.
    "There has been talk of the money we have got in and where has it been spent, et cetera, et cetera.
    "But you would be surprised with the deals we have done, it actually amounts to a fair bit.
    "We have got enough to bring a striker in of the right ilk for this football club, and that's what we need to focus on.
    "When we secure that player, then we will look again."
    However, it appears that Wigan's former Magpies winger Charles N'Zogbia will not be returning to St James' Park with Aston Villa heavily tipped to win his signature as they attempt to replace the Liverpool-bound Stewart Downing.
    Pardew said: "I am told that Charles has got an imminent move, so I don't think that will be us."
    The manager also admitted defeat in his efforts to sign Swansea full-back Neil Taylor with the 22-year-old poised to sign a new contract with the South Wales club.
    Pardew said: "Neil Taylor, I think, will not come to the club. We got to a situation where we thought there was a price set in his contract and that hasn't proven to be the case.
    "Therefore it started to get a little bit higher than we anticipated in terms of a fee, so I think the boy will end up staying at Swansea."
    Pardew would dearly love Jose Enrique to do the same at St James' with the Spaniard's existing deal due to expire next summer, but that prospect appears no closer than it was at the end of last season.
    The 49-year-old said: "We have made him an offer which is one of the best offers we have ever made a player, and he doesn't want to sign as yet, so it gives us a problem.
    "He's a valuable player to us and to the club. We want to keep him and we hope he signs a new contract."
    In the meantime, Pardew will prepare his players for tomorrow night's opening pre-season friendly at Darlington and their subsequent trip to the United States wondering whether it might be worth knocking on Ashley's door once again in the wake of today's figures.
    He said with a smile: "It helps, doesn't it? Yes, maybe I will.
    "It will make Mike feel better and if Mike feels better, it makes us all better. He's the owner of the football club.
    "In a tough retail world, where figures this week have not been good, it's great that Mike has posted those."

Poulsen - staying at Liverpool.

Christian Poulsen's agent has ruled out a move to Copenhagen, saying his client will stay at Liverpool.
    Uncertainty surrounds Poulsen's future after he failed to make an impact on his debut season with the Reds, having been signed by former boss Roy Hodgson last summer.
    The Denmark international is contracted until June 2013, but was only used on six occasions by Kenny Dalglish last term, not featuring again after the 1-0 UEFA Europa League defeat to Braga in early March.
    The arrival of midfielders Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam this summer has fuelled speculation that Poulsen is on his way out of the door, with reports surfacing that Danish giants Copenhagen are chasing his signature.
    However his agent, Jorn Bonnesen, has dismissed such rumours, insisting the 31-year-old is staying put on Merseyside.
    He told "No, Christian Poulsen is not on his way to FC Copenhagen and he has not spoken to them.
    "Christian Poulsen's future is at Liverpool."
    Former Juventus man Poulsen has travelled to Asia with the rest of the Liverpool squad for their pre-season tour.
    The midfielder was on target during the Reds' 4-3 friendly win over Guangdong Sunray Cave on Wednesday.

Bougherra - could pen new Rangers deal.

Rangers defender Madjid Bougherra could enter into talks over a new contract, according to director of football Gordon Smith.
    The Algeria international is entering the final year of his contract and had been thought to be keen to leave Ibrox.
    Rangers manager Ally McCoist said this week he would rather see Bougherra leave for nothing next summer than sell him now and revealed he might offer him a new deal.
    And Smith claims the 28-year-old has given the club encouragement over such an offer.
    Rangers are still waiting to hear from Espanyol over their offer for defender Raul Rodriguez but Smith had more good news for Light Blues fans when he expressed optimism that Steven Davis would soon sign a new deal.
    Smith told BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound programme: "Madjid Bougherra, we were always looking to have him this season playing for us.
    "The possibility now is that he's interested in talking further with us with a view to extending his contract.
    "A lot of people just thought that Madjid Bougherra said he didn't want to stay at Rangers.
    "But that is certainly not the case and there is a possibility that he could be staying for a longer time."
    Rangers secured Steven Whittaker and Allan McGregor on long-term contracts earlier this summer and Davis could follow despite attracting interest from other clubs.
    "We have heard that there's interest there but we have had no offers and we are not interested in selling any players at the moment," Smith said.
    "I don't see anything happening on that basis. We have offered Steven Davis an extension to his contract and we're hoping we get that completed. We are just waiting to finalise it."
    Smith was not taking anything for granted over Rodriguez, who has made just 10 first-team appearances for Espanyol. Rangers are reported to have offered 400,000 for the 23-year-old.
    The former Rangers player said: "We haven't had any word yet, I think they are just considering what they are going to do.
    "They might say they want a bigger payment and some of it might be add-ons.
    "You can never be too confident in football. It's difficult, because you don't know how they see the player, how they value the player.
    "It could be something that goes out of our reach because we are putting ceilings on the price because we are valuing the player on what the worth is to us and what we've got in total to spend."
    Smith revealed former Kilmarnock playmaker Alexei Eremenko was not on manager Ally McCoist's list of targets and updated the situation on three players who are.
    Rangers are awaiting news from Bursaspor over the future of Kenny Miller, who is keen to return to Ibrox after failing to settle in Turkey off the field since his lucrative January move.
    "There are two aspects we need to understand," Smith said. "Firstly, is he available and is he available at a price that we would pay?
    "And is he willing to look at the wage structure in Scottish football as opposed to Turkish football?
    "I'm sure that's what attracted him over there because he is very well paid.
    "I understand he has made it clear to some people in the media that he realises if he comes back here it would not be on the same sort of basis financially."
    McCoist remains keen on David Goodwillie after Rangers had a 1million bid rejected but Smith admitted his appearance for Dundee United in their Europa League opener against Slask Wroclaw today could influence their next move.
    "It's something we would have to consider because I think further down the line if we go through and play in the Europa League then I think he would be cup-tied," the former Scottish Football Association chief executive said.
    "He wouldn't be able to play in the initial qualifying games in the Champions League either. So it is an issue but it's still definitely an option we would like to keep open.
    "We have a few players who were recommended and we are assessing the options but he is certainly a player Ally is very interested in."
    Another is former Rangers defender Carlos Cuellar but new Aston Villa manager Alex McLeish is still contemplating whether the Spaniard is in his plans.
    "Alex McLeish wants to assess things in the early part," Smith said.
    "If the player becomes available we are very willing to make an offer."
    Meanwhile, Smith confirmed 41-year-old defender David Weir was close to agreeing a deal to play on this season after appearing in the pre-season games in Germany.
    "We are in discussions with Davie Weir just now, and his agent, about renewing his contract," Smith said.
    "Hopefully we will know something in the next 48 hours regarding that."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast