Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 15-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 15-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 15-07-11

Wesley Sneijder - Manchester United talk played down.
    FERGIE HAS 'NO REAL INTEREST' IN SNEIJDER

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson claims his club have "no real interest" in signing Inter Milan playmaker Wesley Sneijder.
    Following Paul Scholes' retirement, Ferguson has been on the look out for a replacement.
    Sneijder appeared to fit the bill, particularly as Luka Modric is seemingly bound for Chelsea if Tottenham agree to sell, and Ferguson also suspects Arsenal's Samir Nasri will join Manchester City if he leaves the Emirates Stadium.
    Speculation has mounted regarding Sneijder over the past few days but, after landing in Seattle following a six-hour flight from Boston, Ferguson rejected the theory outright.
    "There is no real interest at this moment in time in Wesley Sneijder," he said.
    Ferguson added there was "nothing imminent" in terms of signings, although the underlying theme of his comments suggested there might have been discussion over Sneijder.
    "I have not been involved in this situation," he said.
    "There is no real interest for a lot of reasons. There is nothing I can tell you about it."
    Whether there is any likelihood of such a transfer being resurrected is open to debate.
    There has been a suspicion Sneijder would welcome a move away from the San Siro and that Inter were prepared to sell their star man if the price was right.
    However, the numbers will have to stack up for United given Sneijder is now 27 and his resale value would not be high if he was handed a long-term contract.
    Ferguson did admit the search for Scholes' replacement would go on, though, even if getting the right man will prove difficult.
    "It is a loss. He was a player of a lifetime. In his 20 years at the club, it is hard to pick out a bad game," said the Scot.
    "He was such a great, consistent player for us. I don't think we will find another Paul Scholes.
    "But hopefully we can replace him. Maybe we will find a different type of player. Manchester United do that.
    "Time and time again we have faced this problem. We have lost great players and you are worrying about it.
    "But eventually something turns up, either through our youth system or we will identify someone.
    "Obviously, there is a bit of work being done on that at the moment by our scouting department.
    "But also we are analysing the capabilities of the young players from our youth team. We will give them that opportunity."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 15-07-11

Charles N'Zogbia - Aston Villa transfer target.
    REPORT: VILLA MAKE CHARLES N'ZOGBIA BID

Aston Villa have stepped up their interest in Winger winger Charles N'Zogbia by submitting a 10 million bid, Press Association Sport understands.
    Villa manager Alex McLeish considers France international N'Zogbia his number one target to replace Liverpool-bound Stewart Downing.
    The club have ample funds available with the sale of Ashley Young to Manchester United and Downing - if his move to Anfield goes through - raising 36 million this summer.
    McLeish is a long-term admirer of N'Zogbia who has one year remaining on his current deal with the Latics.
    But he will take nothing for granted after the events of last year.
    McLeish came close to signing the former Newcastle man at Birmingham 12 months ago only for the move to break down over personal terms at the 11th hour.
    Manchester City's Shaun Wright-Phillips and Spartak Moscow's Aiden McGeady are also on McLeish's radar should he fail to land N'Zogbia.
    McLeish is keen to start rebuilding his squad for the new campaign.
    Manchester City keeper Shay Given is expected to sign in a 3.5 million deal, once he has negotiated a settlement on the remainder of his contract, as a replacement for Brad Friedel.
    In the midfield department, McLeish is interested in West Ham's Scott Parker although suggestions a formal bid has already been made are wide of the mark.

Uploads

Joey Barton - linked with Newcastle exit.
    PARDEW KEEPS FOCUS OFF DUO

Alan Pardew will not allow the ongoing uncertainty over Joey Barton and Jose Enrique to hinder Newcastle's preparations for the new season.
    The Magpies boss will send out his side for their first pre-season friendly at Darlington with both men entering the final year of their contracts.
    Barton has been told he will not be offered a new deal, while Enrique is in no hurry to reach an agreement despite being presented with a package described by Pardew as "one of the best offers we have ever made a player".
    However, with no bid yet on the table for either man, the manager will simply get on with the task of making sure his team is ready for Arsenal's opening day trip to St James' Park.
    Pardew said: "The situation is simple: if players don't want to commit to contracts or this is not the contract offer that they wish, there's not much you can do about it.
    "But we have a good feeling in the dressing room, we are looking forward to the season and I think we have got a decent side this year."
    Barton's situation is somewhat different to that of Enrique with the club having withdrawn the offer they tabled in January after the contract went unsigned.
    But Pardew remains as relaxed as he can be over a player who has repeatedly vowed to see out his current deal.
    The manager said: "We are at a situation where we will play this season as it comes and we will all sit down at the end of the year, and who knows? We might do a deal then.
    "You never know in this game. It's a strange business we are in.
    "He's a good player, he's playing well for us and that's all I care about."
    Barton, of course, will not travel with the rest of the squad to the United States on Sunday after being refused an entry visa, but Pardew is confident the 28-year-old will make his presence felt with the reserves in Holland before linking up with his senior team-mates once again on their return.
    He said: "He's a very important player for us and the example he sets with that group will be first-class.
    "I am looking forward to seeing him when I come back and getting him ingrained in the team."
    Pardew is continuing his search for a striker - Paris St Germain's Mevlut Erding remains in the frame - and insisting that the 35million the club received from Liverpool for Andy Carroll will be reinvested, although not necessarily in transfer fees alone.
    But he has admitted Charles N'Zogbia and Neil Taylor are unlikely to arrive on Tyneside, and had to fend off claims that Chelsea could make a move for Ivory Coast midfielder Cheick Tiote.
    Pardew said: "He's a great player who had a great first year for Newcastle. We have heard nothing substantial. The information that we have had about this is purely speculation."

Uploads

Falcao - extends Porto deal.
    FALCAO EXTENDS PORTO CONTRACT

Porto striker Falcao has agreed to extend his contract by two seasons until 2015.
    Premier League outfit Chelsea have been heavily linked with the 25-year-old following the appointment of ex-Porto boss Andre Villas-Boas over the summer.
    Falcao's previous deal had a €30million (26.2m) release clause attached, however, that has now been increased to €45m (39.4m).
    The striker is coming off the back of a season to remember having plundered 38 goals last term, helping Porto claim a treble of Portuguese Premier League, Portuguese Cup and Europa League.
    Falcao became the top all-time scorer in a single UEFA club competition, scoring 17 goals in the Europa League campaign to break a record previously held by Germany's Jurgen Klinsmann.
    He joined the Portuguese giants from Argentina's River Plate in 2009 and has scored an incredible 73 goals in 85 games.

Uploads

Neil Taylor - staying at Swansea.
    NEIL TAYLOR PENS NEW SWANSEA DEAL

Newcastle target Neil Taylor has committed his future to Swansea by signing a new four-year contract with the Barclays Premier League newcomers.
    The Magpies had submitted a 1million-plus bid for the left-back, believing it would trigger a release clause in his contract.
    The 22-year-old held talks with the club but has decided to remain at the Liberty Stadium as the Swans prepare for life in the top flight under manager Brendan Rodgers.
    Taylor admitted his relief at the new deal, having been unsettled by the speculation over his future.
    He told swanseacity.net: "This has been the hardest month of my life. There has been so much written and said about me that was untrue it really hurt at times.
    "It's dragged on longer than everyone expected because I've been on holiday, the chairman (Huw Jenkins) has been on holiday and the manager has been away.
    "I read somewhere a few weeks back that I had been ignoring the manager's phone calls. Considering he was climbing Mount Kilimanjaro at the time, it's difficult to get a phone signal 19,000 feet up a mountain.
    "One headline even said 'sell me or I will sue', which is a strange one considering I haven't given a quote to anyone until now.
    "It was only last week that I got to speak to the manager face to face. I told him I wanted to stay, but why wouldn't I?
    "Yes, I was flattered at Newcastle's interest and I spoke to them after Swansea gave me permission. I think most players would because they are a massive club and I was interested to see what they had to say.
    "But I know I've got everything going for me here at Swansea. I've got one of the best young managers in Europe to learn from and develop; we've got a great squad that can do well in the Premier League and a style of football that I love and the envy of a lot of clubs."
    Taylor missed Swansea's successful play-off campaign almost in its entirety after being sent off in the first minute of the semi-final first leg against Nottingham Forest.
    And he said: "I had a lot of support from the fans and the club after I was sent off in the play-offs at Nottingham Forest, which I will never forget.
    "This is the football club where I want to be and the decision to sign a new contract was an easy one to make."
    Rodgers added: "There's been a lot of things written about Neil and I feel really sorry for him.
    "I've had numerous conversations with him while we were in different parts of the world over the summer and he always made it clear this is where he wanted to be.
    "There's no doubt Neil will go on to be a very good player. He is important to us and will be for Wales also."

Uploads

Alexander Doni - set to join Liverpool.
    AGENT: DONI CLOSE TO REDS MOVE

Roma goalkeeper Alexander Doni's transfer to Liverpool will be completed on Friday, according to the player's agent.
    The two clubs reached an agreement last month for Doni to join the Reds on a free transfer, with the 31-year-old expected to sign a two-year contract.
    "Everything is okay with Liverpool," Doni's agent Ovidio Colucci told asromanews.it. "We are returning to Rome to sign the final documents.
    "The deal will be finally completed tomorrow and Doni will be back at Liverpool on Sunday to be available for [Liverpool manager Kenny] Dalglish."
    Doni moved to Roma in 2005 from Juventude and is under contract at the Serie A outfit until 2013.
    He has been understudy to Julio Sergio in recent seasons, but made 16 league appearances for Roma last term.

Uploads

Carlos Tevez - wants Manchester City exit.
    CORINTHIANS: JUVE WANT TO SIGN TEVEZ

Corinthians claim Juventus have entered the race to sign Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez with a 45million bid.
    Tevez has made it clear all summer that he wants to leave Manchester City for family reasons, as his children are currently based back home in Argentina.
    A move to continental Europe always seemed the only possibility for him until his former club Corinthians stepped in with an offer worth 35million at the beginning of this week.
    Juventus had been looking to make a move for Sergio Aguero, the Atletico Madrid star who is now being strongly linked with a switch to City.
    However, Juve have seemingly now shown their hand and lodged a 45million offer for Tevez.
    But Corinthians president Andres Sanchez, while confirming that Juve had now made an offer and saying their own bid will not be increased, insists Tevez does not want to continue playing anywhere in Europe.
    "Nothing has changed. They (Manchester City) have to decide whether to sell or not," said Sanchez, after seeing his side win 1-0 against Internacional on Thursday evening.
    "They have a proposal for 52million (45million) from Juventus, but Tevez does not want to stay in Europe.
    "I keep dreaming. I made the offer in the end, even I was surprised. But it now depends on City. If I am president of a club that has Tevez then I would not want to sell. But the word of the player has a lot of weight
    "You see that when the player wants to leave, he will leave anyway. In football, contracts were made to be broken."
    Sanchez insists that Corinthians have a plan in place that will make them one of the biggest clubs in the world.
    "Within three or four years, Brazilian soccer is going to be the world's richest. Just do the accounts," he said.
    "The Corinthians have a recipe that no-one imagined two years ago. Corinthians will be, financially speaking, one of the world's strongest teams."
    Sanchez said that their offer would remain on the table until January, adding: "He has until early next year to decide."

Uploads

Luka Modric - transfer talk continues.
    REDKNAPP STILL EXPECTS MODRIC TO STAY

Harry Redknapp is confident Luka Modric will still be a Tottenham player for the start of the season.
    Spurs open the season at home to Everton on August 13 and boss Redknapp expects Modric to be at his disposal.
    Spurs turned down an improved 27million bid for Modric from Chelsea this week, with chairman Daniel Levy determined to hang on to the Croatia playmaker, who is under contract until 2015.
    And although Modric has indicated he would like to move to Stamford Bridge, Redknapp believes the 25-year-old will not cause a stir if he stays at White Hart Lane.
    "I fully expect Luka to be here at the start of the season," he told The Sun.
    "The chairman Daniel Levy has already said he does not want to sell him at any price.
    "Luka is the nicest boy you could meet and he would not cause a problem to anybody.
    "But Luka feels he has a chance of playing for a team who can win the Champions League. He's also been offered a lot of money.
    "The chairman, though, wants to keep him and I want to build a side around Luka."

Uploads

Carlton Cole - spoke to Stoke.
    CARLTON COLE STOKE MOVE OFF

Carlton Cole's transfer from West Ham to Stoke looks to have fallen through.
    The exact reason as to why the deal collapsed is not known, although the Hammers released a statement on Friday which attempted to clear up a number of suggestions.
    It read: "Carlton has not asked for a transfer and has remained committed to the club at all times.
    "In being given permission to talk to Stoke, the negotiations did not break down as a result of him asking for too much money. He was discussing wage parity with other key players and was well within his right to do so.
    "Further, there is no issue in terms of his reported 'injury problems'. An England striker, he played 43 games last season."
    The statement added: "Carlton remains part of the West Ham United first-team squad under Sam Allardyce."

Uploads

Adel Taarabt - could leave QPR.
    WARNOCK ADMITS TAARABT COULD LEAVE

QPR manager Neil Warnock claims the future of wantaway midfielder Adel Taarabt is still a long way from being resolved.
    Taarabt, who last year won the Championship Player of the Year award, wants to return to France to be closer to his family and has been heavily linked with a move to Paris Saint Germain.
    The Ligue 1 outfit are thought to be close to making an offer of over 13.5million for the 22-year-old, but Warnock insists no deal has been struck to allow the player to leave yet.
    The former Sheffield United manager has opted to leave Taarabt behind for the club's pre-season tour of the west country next week, but he insists that does not mean the Moroccan is on the verge of leaving.
    "We don't know whether he's going to go or stay, it's up in the air at the moment," Warnock told Sky Sports News.
    "We're quite optimistic either way. If we lost him it would be easier for me in some respects, the money would come in handy, but I don't think we'll spend any of it.
    "With his family all in France, and his girlfriend there as well, there's so many things to tempt you. He's going to be at a top club, (on) massive money.
    "(Co-owner) Flavio (Briatore) is going to make the final decision on what money he accepts. PSG are close to making an offer.
    "Whether it's enough for Flavio I don't know, but he'll be telling me as and when he either goes or if he's definitely staying."
    Warnock has also suffered the disappointment of seeing a move for DJ Campbell stall.
    QPR and Campbell's club Blackpool agreed a fee for the striker, but it appears the move may have fallen through.
    "I think the clubs have agreed but I don't think we can agree with his advisors (on) certain fees," Warnock added.
    "It's very difficult to actually get things over the line. I leave that to other people but it's not happened.
    "I think at the moment it's on ice. I'm looking around all over as well. We've got one or two irons in the fire."
    While Warnock has been frustrated at the saga over Taarabt's future dragging on, he has been boosted by the double capture of Jay Bothroyd and Kieron Dyer.
    Bothroyd, who was available on a free transfer after leaving Cardiff, will now spearhead the Rangers attack and Warnock is glad to have secured the services of a man deemed good enough to play for England by Fabio Capello.
    "To get Jay in on a Bosman is really a good bit of business for us," Warnock said. "He's a top striker.
    "I didn't think we'd get him, I thought one of the bigger clubs would snap him up. I've pestered him over the past six weeks, him and his missus, and he's caved in.
    "I do think it's right for him. I think he's got to be playing week in, week out, rather than be in a squad. I don't see anything better than him in the Premier League and we're really, really pleased to have him."
    Dyer's injury record put a lot of clubs off signing the midfielder, but Warnock insists he will make an impact at Loftus Road this year.
    "I just like the look of him," Warnock said.
    "It's not going to be financially crippling to us.
    "If he doesn't play games then he's not going to get paid very much. He accepts that, he wanted that.
    "He could go anywhere. He could go to many places and pick money up now, which a lot of players do when they get over 30. But Kieron has got things to prove, he's still got that hunger."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast