Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 17-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 17-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 17-07-11

Ezequiel Garay - on the move.
    GARAY JOINS BENFICA FROM REAL

Benfica have signed Argentina centre-back Ezequiel Garay from Real Madrid for an undisclosed fee.
    Both clubs confirmed the news of the 24-year-old's switch on their websites on Saturday evening. No details were given regarding length of contract.
    Garay put pen to paper in Santa Fe, where he is representing Argentina in the Copa America.
    The former Newell's Old Boys defender joined Madrid in 2008 after a three-year stint with Racing Santander.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 17-07-11

Gael Clichy - joined Manchester City from Arsenal.
    CLICHY: MAN CITY ARE WINNERS

Gael Clichy has risked the wrath of Arsenal fans by declaring he left the club for Manchester City because he was tired of missing out on silverware.
    The French left-back says he could have penned a new deal at the Emirates Stadium but could not face the prospect of more seasons like the 2010/11 campaign.
    Arsenal have now not won a trophy since 2005, with a string of disappointments turning last term into one of the most disappointing seasons under Arsene Wenger's stewardship.
    Now Clichy believes he has found a club who can deliver the success he craves.
    Speaking on the club's pre-season tour to the United States, he said: "After spending eight years with Arsenal it would have been easy to sign a new contract to stay there because they're a fantastic club that will always be challenging for trophies.
    "But it got to a point for me where I didn't want to just challenge for the titles only to be disappointed in the final weeks of the season.
    "I wanted to play for a club that would win them.
    "I joined City because I felt that this was a club ready to win important trophies over the next few years."
    Clichy did not always have such belief in City's ambitions, but has been won over by the commitment of the club's Abu Dhabi-based owners.
    He continued: "When Sheikh Mansour first took over here there was a lot of scepticism in the game and I was one of the sceptics.
    "But for me, last season proved City are now one of the top clubs in the game. I have been at City only a week but I look around and see a squad that is strong."
    Clichy's comments come just a day after Wenger accused City boss Roberto Mancini of a lack of respect over his public pursuit of Samir Nasri, who the Italian wants to add to his squad in the next fortnight.

Uploads

Luka Modric - Chelsea target.
    CHELSEA LOOKING BEYOND MODRIC

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas says the Blues will not wait forever in their pursuit of Tottenham midfielder Luka Modric and have other players in the pipeline.
    The Croatia international has been the subject of fevered speculation this summer linking him with a move away from north London.
    Such talk was fuelled further by the player himself after Modric admitted he would like to leave White Hart Lane for pastures new, preferably Stamford Bridge.
    Villas-Boas would not shed any light on the Modric situation after overseeing a 1-0 pre-season friendly defeat of Portsmouth on Saturday, but admitted the club need a creative midfielder.
    "I would prefer not to comment," he said when asked about links with Modric and West Ham midfielder Scott Parker.
    "You know what the situation is, it is public. You can understand the position that the club has taken.
    "At the moment we are scanning the market for everything and not just those two players.
    "[Modric plays in] one of the positions we are looking to strengthen.
    "But here you saw we adapted Yossi (Benayoun)'s position in the middle and also against Wycombe he was marvellous in the position.
    "It is just a question of finding the solution. If it happens it happens, if it doesn't happen it doesn't happen."
    When asked whether a deal for Modric was just a matter of time, he retorted: "No, it does not depend on us. Spurs have a right to defend their player and property. We just have to wait.
    "We respect whatever position Tottenham takes and the prices we are talking about is an incredible amount of money."
    As well as a creative midfielder, Villas-Boas admitted that he would like to add a defensive midfielder to the mix after Michael Essien's injury.
    The Ghana international has been ruled out for six months with a knee injury, which Villas-Boas admits came as a big blow to everybody a the club.
    "Michael is a fantastic person and a fantastic individual," he said.
    "He was one of the people I kept in contact with for a long time after I left and I always considered him a friend and it was a pity for him to get another injury like this.
    "I think it is a big blow because of what he represents and what he represents as a person.
    "Six months is a lot of time and for sure bearing in mind this was already a sector we were looking to strengthen we might need to move in the market."

Uploads

Roman Pavlyuchenko - happy at Spurs says agent.
    PAVLYUCHENKO WANTS TO STAY AT SPURS

Roman Pavlyuchenko has no plans to leave Tottenham and is keen to extend his contract at White Hart Lane, according to his agent.
    The Russia international has struggled at times for regular first-team starts due to Harry Redknapp's attacking options.
    Pavlyuchenko has to compete with Jermain Defoe and Peter Crouch for a berth in the XI with Rafael van der Vaart often employed in a forward role.
    That has led to suggestions that the former Spartak Moscow man could be ready to leave the North London club and seek a new challenge.
    But the 29-year-old's agent, Oleg Artemov, insists that his client is only interested in agreeing new terms with Spurs when they return from their pre-season tour to South Africa.
    Artemov told Sovetskiy Sport: "We haven't talked about Roman's future with Tottenham yet. The team is in South Africa at the moment and then we'll negotiate about his contract extension.

Uploads

Sammy Clingan - linked with Leeds move.
    THORN VOWS TO CLING ON

Coventry manager Andy Thorn has dismissed speculation linking skipper Sammy Clingan with a move away from the Ricoh Arena.
    The Northern Ireland international, who was only recently handed the captain's armband for the forthcoming campaign, is a reported target for Leeds.
    But Thorn insists his midfield maestro is going nowhere, while the Sky Blues boss has also been assured by chairman Ken Dulieu that Clingan is staying put.
    Thorn said: "I've heard nothing on that. It's just speculation but Sammy is a massive part of what we are doing here.
    "I spoke to him at length in Portugal about his role in the team and here at the club and he absolutely loves it at Coventry.
    "He's a very important player for us and that's the way it will remain. As far as I am concerned he is staying here and I have had the same assurances from the chairman that he is not for sale. We're preparing for the new season with Sammy Clingan as our captain."

Uploads

Roberto Mancini - likes Nasri.
    MANCINI SURPRISED BY WENGER BLAST

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini tried to play down his comments about Samir Nasri after Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger criticised his public pursuit of the midfielder.
    Wenger accused Mancini of breaking the 'basic rules of football' after the Italian appeared to admit hoped to sign the Gunners star by the end of the month.
    But Mancini was surprised by Wenger's outburst and insisted he had said little to anger the Frenchman.
    "I said only that Nasri, (Sergio) Aguero are two good players and I said also that Nasri is under contract with Arsenal," he said. "I don't know why he's upset, but only this.
    "Because the question was about some good players, I say that like this. I said also that Nasri is under contract with Arsenal, it's difficult. Only this."
    Media reports have suggested City are still considering an improved 40m bid from Corinthians for Carlos Tevez and Mancini confirmed he will hold talks with the Argentine, who is also reportedly interesting Malaga.

Uploads

Scott Parker - looks unlikely to join Spurs.
    REDKNAPP DOUBTS PARKER MOVE

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has admitted the club are unlikely to move for West Ham star Scott Parker.
    The England midfielder is expected to leave Upton Park as he seeks to stay in the Premier League following the Hammers' relegation.
    Aston Villa are believed to have made a 7million bid for Parker, while Chelsea have been strongly linked with a loan move for the England international as they seek cover for the injured Michael Essien.
    Redknapp has never hidden his admiration for Parker and the Spurs boss has been tipped to make a new move for the 30-year-old after seeing a bid to sign the former Newcastle man rebuffed last summer.
    However, Redknapp insists Spurs are unlikely to move for the England international due to the finances involved.
    "If you take into account the fee of around 8m, signing on fees and wages you're talking about a 30m deal," Redknapp told the Sunday Mirror.
    "There is no way the club would sanction a deal for a 30-year-old who would have no resale value at the end of his contract."

Uploads

Davie Weir - new deal done.
    WEIR PENS RANGERS EXTENSION

Rangers skipper Davie Weir has signed a new one-year contract for the Ibrox club.
    The deal was finally sealed on Saturday in Belfast ahead of the friendly with Linfield in which Weir, 41, captained the side to a 4-1 win.
    Weir, whose family still live south of the border, told the club's official website: "It's taken a while but it's good to get it sorted out now.
    "I can't think of a better place to play my football. I've obviously got commitments to my family and from that point of view it's not ideal, but football-wise it's a one brainer.
    "This is the place I want to play and as long as the manager thinks I can still do a job then I'm happy to sign here.
    "The family thing is obviously a consideration but it works well for me at the moment because I have a good balance.
    "When I'm in Glasgow I'm focused on the football and doing what I need to the night before games and the likes. Things like rest that I might not get when I'm at home.
    "The same is true at home where my full focus can be on my family when I'm there."
    On Saturday, Rangers manager Ally McCoist revealed he had agreed a fee with Aston Villa for Carlos Cuellar and is now looking to agree personal terms with the former Ibrox defender.
    Weir would welcome the return of the Spaniard to the Light Blues' squad even though it might cost him his place in the side.
    The former Hearts and Everton stopper said: "The manager was honest and told me that he was trying to get players in and that there would be competition, but I welcome that.
    "You want a challenge to keep you on your toes and make sure you are always striving to perform at your best.
    "Carlos would give that because he's top class.
    "He was only up here for a season but everybody saw how good he was that year so we'd obviously love to have him back.
    "People know what we would be getting with Carlos, there is no real mystery to it and that is a big thing in favour of the move.
    "It's definitely an area the manager is looking to add to and if we want players to improve the squad Carlos is certainly one that would fit that bill."

Uploads

Allardyce - won't be reunited with Gudjohnsen.
    HAMMERS SHELVE GUDJOHNSEN DEAL

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce has pulled the plug on the deal to sign former Chelsea striker Eidur Gudjohnsen.
    Gudjohnsen was poised to join West Ham on a one-year deal after passing a medical at Upton Park earlier this week.
    The 32-year-old is available on a free transfer after leaving Stoke earlier this summer and Allardyce was keen to be reunited with the Iceland international having worked with him during his time in charge of Bolton.
    However, Greek side AEK Athens are thought to have entered the chase for Gudjohnsen and Allardyce has decided to end his interest in the player after he hesitated in signing the deal on offer at Upton Park.
    "The bottom line was that for me, Eidur had enough time to make a decision," said Allardyce.
    "The time I gave him elapsed so instead of us sitting and waiting for him, I decided from my point of view that it was better to call the deal off."
    Allardyce admitted he was disappointed to see the move for Gudjohnsen fall through.
    "I am very disappointed because I thought the deal was done and dusted," added Allardyce. "But what happened is his father flew in and something happened between me finishing with him and his father arriving.
    "There must have been another deal that appeared somewhere else, but irrespective of that, Eidur needed to give me a decision, he didn't, so I made the decision for both of us by not pursuing him."

Uploads

Wesley Sneijder - heavily linked with Man Utd.
    SNEIJDER URGED TO JOIN MAN UTD

Holland boss Bert van Marwijk believes Wesley Sneijder would benefit from a switch to Manchester United.
    The Inter Milan playmaker continues to be heavily linked with a move to Old Trafford despite Sir Alex Ferguson stating earlier this week that he had 'no real interest' in signing the Dutchman.
    Sneijder has been tipped to replace the retired Paul Scholes in United's midfield after establishing himself as one of the most creative talents in world football with Inter.
    He has also spent time with Real Madrid and helped Holland reach the 2010 World Cup final, but Van Marwijk still sees room for improvement.
    He feels United are the ideal club for the 27-year-old at this stage of his career and has advised him to take up the challenge.
    "A transfer to United will do Wesley a lot of good. He will benefit as a player from playing for them," said Van Marwijk in the Sunday Mirror.
    "With Real Madrid and Inter Milan he has already the biggest club names in football on his CV. But Manchester United will be another big step up the international ladder for him.
    "Manchester United have a unique playing style and they perform consistently at the highest level.
    "Their methods in training, and the way people work at this club with players, are superb. This is why it will be a new challenge to Wesley. It will inspire him and it will give him new energy."
    Van Marwijk feels United adopt the same sort of approach to their football as Holland and believes it would be good for the national team if he did make the move to the Premier League.
    He explained: "The United style is much more similar to the Dutch style than Inter's way of playing.
    "When Wesley plays for Holland we make sure he gets the ball as soon as possible to his feet. Much quicker than Inter try that.
    "It means he can have a goal attempt much quicker or can give a decisive pass. In Italy he plays in a more sitting role, and he is facing six defenders all the time.
    "The control we let him take in attack with the Dutch team, I can also see with United. I think he would really fit into the midfield perfectly at Old Trafford."
    Sneijder's father Barry, however, said: "We are aware of the interest of United but we want to act very properly towards Inter Milan.
    "Let's not forget that Inter gave Wesley a brand new five-year contract last year - a very good contract. Also, the boy is enjoying life in Milan."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast