Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 18-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 18-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 18-07-11

Torres - feeling sharp ahead of new season.
    TORRES RELISHING FRESH START

Chelsea striker Fernando Torres says he is ready to prove his worth at Stamford Bridge next season.
    Torres has endured a difficult time at Chelsea following his record-breaking move from Liverpool in the January transfer window.
    The Spaniard scored just one goal in 18 appearances for the Blues last term as they ended the season without any silverware.
    But the 27-year-old says he is raring to go ahead of the new campaign.
    "It was a difficult four months for me last season but now I am settled and really happy," said Torres.
    "It's a new start for me and I am feeling sharper and fitter.
    "After five years without a break I could finally enjoy my holiday this summer so I am happier after a rest and some time with my family.
    "Now I am feeling good and ready to start the new season."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 18-07-11

Joe Cole - has a fan in Clarke.
    CLARKE BACKS JOE COLE TO SHINE

Joe Cole still has a "big contribution" to make at Liverpool, according to first-team coach Steve Clarke.
    Cole endured a disappointing first season at Anfield after moving north on a free transfer from Chelsea. He was sent off in the Reds' first Barclays Premier League game of last season and within a week missed a penalty in a Europa League tie against Trabzonspor.
    The England international started just nine league matches in total and there had been question marks over whether the 29-year-old would be kept on for the new season.
    But Kenny Dalglish's number two has been impressed by how Cole has acquitted himself in pre-season so far.
    "At the end of last season he was not getting in the team because the team was playing well," said Clarke in quotes carried by a number of national newspapers.
    "But he has gone away, trained hard and had a good summer.
    "Joe Cole is a top international player and he has a big contribution to make to the future. He is the same Joe Cole I coached at Chelsea, just a couple of years older and a little bit wiser.
    "He knows the position he is in. It has been difficult for him because he has not been involved but when he gets the chance it is up to him to take it."
    Clarke felt Cole's continued enthusiasm in training despite his on-field difficulties demonstrated the strength of the character the former West Ham man possesses.
    "The better players are always positive," said Clarke.
    "They see the bigger picture and understand what is going on. They understand they have to reach certain levels and when they do that they will get in the team."

Uploads

Fabregas and Nasri - linked with moves this summer.
    ARSENE WENGER BACKED BY GAZIDIS

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis supports manager Arsene Wenger's desire to retain Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri.
    Fabregas is once again being linked with a move to Barcelona, while Nasri has been tipped to leave the Emirates Stadium as he is now in the final 12 months of his contract.
    Barcelona ace Xavi recently claimed Fabregas told him he was "suffering" over his failure to re-join the Catalan giants, however, Wenger insists his targets are to "keep" his players.
    When questioned whether the likes of Fabregas and Nasri could be sold by Arsenal, Gazidis believes Wenger is the voice of Arsenal and that he is not prepared to add any more fuel on the fire.
    "We don't conduct our business in public," Gazidis told Sky Sports News. "I don't intend to put my voice into the mix.
    "Arsene has been very clear and explicit on all of those subjects. I'll leave the voice of Arsenal to be his."
    Gazidis did confirm the club do have funds to strengthen and that the north Londoners are determined to become winners on the pitch and end their six-year trophy drought in the process.
    Whereas other clubs are looking to fill gaps vacated by retiring players Arsenal are not looking to plug holes in Wenger's team, just enhance the strength in depth the Frenchman already possesses.
    "We do have money we can spend," added Gazidis.
    "The challenge for us is a little bit different than some of the other clubs, we don't have positions where players are coming to the end of their careers and positions where there are holes.
    "We have to find players who can improve on some of the positions that we currently have and add some depth.
    "We want to be winners. We want to be trophy winners.
    "There's a relentless focus on doing things we need to do to achieve that, but we also have to do them within the bounds of a sensible football club."

Uploads

Dario Gradi - looking to boost Crewe's defence.
    CREWE SEARCH FOR DEFENDER CONTINUES

Crewe manager Dario Gradi is still looking for a new defender but he doesn't want to sign someone to "make up the numbers".
    The Alex boss admitted last week that he needs to boost his side's options at the back and he is still searching for the right man to bring to the Alexandra Stadium.
    "We're still looking but I don't want someone to make up the numbers," he told Sportinglife.com.
    "I've got players to make up the numbers. I want someone that will go in and improve the team."
    Gradi is looking all over the football pyramid for his new recruit and he won't rule out a swoop from non-league.
    "I don't mind if he's good," he added.
    "If he's as good as the guy Manchester United got who used to play for Maidstone (Chris Smalling) that will do.
    "Basically we could do with an athlete. We need someone who's quick."

Uploads

Carlos Tevez - set for Corinthians move.
    MAN CITY AGREE TO SELL CARLOS TEVEZ

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has confirmed that an agreement has been reached with Corinthians for the sale of Carlos Tevez.
    City turned down a 40million bid from the Brazilian club last week, with City believed to be holding out for 50million for a player who finished as joint top scorer in the Barclays Premier League last season with 20 goals.
    However, speaking on the club's pre-season tour of North America, Mancini told Sky Sports News: "We have an agreement with Corinthians but Carlos now is still a City player."
    The Sao Paulo club moved for the Argentina striker after being alerted by Tevez's admission earlier this month that he wished to leave City for the sake of his family, with his two children based in his homeland.
    Corinthians president Andres Sanchez last week claimed Juventus had entered the race to sign Tevez but insisted his own club would not increase their offer for the wantaway South American.
    Tevez's advisor, Kia Joorabchian, revealed a few days ago that a deal with Corinthians was "close", with the player himself keen on a return to the club he previously represented between January 2005 and August 2006.
    The 27-year-old, who joined City from Manchester United in summer 2009 and has also previously played for West Ham, is under contract at City until June 2014.
    Asked whether Tevez would now be discussing personal terms, Mancini replied: "I don't know this. I repeat, at the moment, Carlos is still a City player."
    He added: "I want to wait. At the moment we are here, we are working with the other guys. We should think about this."
    Defender Joleon Lescott admitted he would be disappointed to see his team-mate depart but understood his wishes.
    The England international told Sky Sports News: "We'll be disappointed if Carlos leaves but it was down to the club and Carlos what was best for each other and they have come to an agreement so I wish both parties all the best.
    "Carlos is his own man. Last season he played to 110 per cent every game so none of us will be holding any grudges towards him and we'll wish him all the best if he does leave."
    CARLOS TEVEZ FACTFILE
    1984: Born February 5 in Buenos Aires.
    2001: Makes first-team debut for Boca Juniors.
    2003: Wins two Argentinian titles, two Copa Libertadores titles and the World Club Championship with Boca.
    2004: Joins Brazilian side Corinthians in an 18 million US dollar deal, a record between South American clubs. The deal is financed by Media Sports Investments, a group of investors headed by Kia Joorabchian who also own a controlling stake in Corinthians.
    2005: Helps Corinthians to the Brazilian title and named the competition's best player.
    2006: August - Joins West Ham along with Corinthians team-mate Javier Mascherano.
    2007: March - West Ham are charged by the Premier League for breaching their rules in relation to the signings of Tevez and Mascherano.
    April 27: West Ham are fined 5.5million but spared a points deduction after pleading guilty. The verdict also rules "the registration of Carlos Tevez can be terminated by the FA Premier League", but Tevez is later cleared to play on for the Hammers.
    May 13: Scores the winning goal in 1-0 victory at Manchester United which ensures West Ham avoid relegation.
    July 24: FIFA recommend the Tevez case to be referred to the Court of Arbitration for Sport after deciding not to become involved. However, Joorabchian opts to issue High Court proceedings against West Ham.
    August 3: West Ham confirm they have reached a 2million settlement with Tevez's representatives which will allow the Argentinian to leave the club for Manchester United shortly.
    August 10: Transfer to Old Trafford is confirmed.
    2008: Wins the Barclays Premier League for the first time with United.
    May 21: Scores opening spot-kick in United's 6-5 penalty shoot-out victory against Chelsea in the final of the Champions League in Moscow.
    2009: Wins his second Barclays Premier League title with United following a 0-0 draw with Arsenal.
    May 17: Accuses United of showing him a lack of respect and states his desire to leave Old Trafford.
    July 13: Manchester City confirm they have agreed a deal with Tevez.
    2010: January 21 - Re-ignites his feud with former United team-mate Gary Neville, describing him as a "boot-licker" and an "idiot" on Argentinian radio.
    April 13: Questions the training methods of Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini in a newspaper interview.
    April 30: Mancini publicly tells Tevez he can leave in the summer if he is not happy at the club.
    December 7: Claims he is happy at City despite missing his children.
    December 11: Reports Tevez has handed in a written transfer request are confirmed.
    December 12: City reveal they have rejected a written transfer request from Tevez.
    December 20: City announce Tevez has withdrawn his transfer request after clear-the-air talks and expressed his "absolute commitment" to the club.
    2011: February 20 - Scores in the FA Cup fourth-round replay against Notts County to move to 50 goals for City in 73 games, the second-fastest City player to reach the milestone.
    April 16: Not present at Wembley for City's FA Cup semi-final victory over Manchester United, having been ruled out of the match with a hamstring injury.
    City's preparations for the game were overshadowed by speculation the striker was using a trip to Milan to seek a move.
    May 14: Returns to captain City as they beat Stoke 1-0 to lift the FA Cup and end a 35-year spell without a major trophy.
    May 16: Issues a statement saying he would remain at City if his family situation could be resolved, but insists his daughters must come first.
    July 4: Confirms his intention to leave City.
    July 18: Mancini confirms an agreement has been reached with Corinthians for the sale of Tevez, although for now the Argentinian remains a City player.

Uploads

Taarabt - won't be part of pre-season tour.
    WARNOCK EXPECTS TAARABT RESOLUTION

Queens Park Rangers manager Neil Warnock expects the Adel Taarabt transfer saga to be concluded "shortly".
    The former Tottenham playmaker is wanted by French PSG, although the clubs have yet to agree a fee.
    Warnock recently stated the 22-year-old's future remained 'up in the air' but he now expects progress imminently and Taarabt will miss the club's pre-season tour of Cornwall and Italy to resolve the situation.
    "Adel won't be coming with us," explained Warnock.
    "I think he will be talking with his people and staying to do his training.
    "The ongoing transfer saga with PSG should come to a head shortly."

Uploads

Boateng - signs for Bayern Munich.
    JEROME BOATENG JOINS BAYERN MUNICH

Jerome Boateng has completed his move to Bayern Munich from Manchester City for an undisclosed fee.
    The 22-year-old struggled to hold down a regular first-team spot at Eastlands since joining the club from Hamburg last summer and made just 16 appearances in the Premier League.
    Bayern have been long-term admirers of the player, but the major sticking point in negotiations appeared to be the transfer fee.
    At one stage it looked like the deal would collapse, with Boateng even flying to America for City's pre-season tour.
    However, an agreement was struck late last week and Boateng has since flown to Germany to undergo a medical and finalise terms on a four-year contract.

Uploads

Aguero - heavily linked with Manchester City.
    AGUERO SET TO MAKE QUICK DECISION

Sergio Aguero's agent has confirmed the Atletico Madrid striker will sort out his future this week amid talk of an impending move to Manchester City.
    City boss Roberto Mancini confirmed his interest in Argentine ace Aguero over the weekend as he seeks a replacement for Carlos Tevez.
    Tevez is poised for a move away from Eastlands after the club accepted a bid from Corinthians for their skipper and now City are expected to step up their interest in Aguero.
    Real Madrid and Juventus have also been linked with a move for Aguero, who has informed Atletico Madrid of his desire to leave the Vicente Calderon this summer.
    Aguero's agent Hernan Reguera admits the striker's future will be resolved soon, now that Argentina are no longer in the Copa America.
    "He wanted the Copa America to end to sit down and talk. During this week everything will be settled," Reguera told Ole.
    "Aguero has made a lot of important things for Atletico. He renewed his contract when he was one year away from becoming a free agent, he has played over 200 matches, he spent two years without vacations.
    "He is thankful to the fans and to the club's board. We have been talking about this for two months.
    "I talk to the club's chiefs on a daily basis, and if it was hard for them to accept at the beginning, they have agreed it and there are no problems."
    Reguera insists Aguero's decision to leave Atletico has nothing to do with money and that he wants a new challenge.
    "In seven days the subject will be closed, but this has nothing to do with money. He wants his career to grow."

Uploads

Denilson - moves with 'sadness'.
    DENILSON SAD TO LEAVE ARSENAL

Denilson has expressed his "sadness" at leaving Arsenal after confirming he will be returning to Sao Paulo on loan.
    Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has allowed the Brazilian to return to his homeland on a tempoary basis after finding himself the down the pecking order at the Emirates Stadium.
    The 23-year-old, who joined Arsenal from Sao Paulo in the summer of 2006, has decided to move on in search of regular first-team action after growing increasingly frustrated with his lack of opportunities in the Arsenal starting XI.
    "I will be playing in Brazil next season as I felt that this is a good opportunity for me to play regular first-team football," Denilson told the club's official website.
    "I move away with sadness because I have so many friends at Arsenal and everyone has always been so supportive towards me.
    "I want to say thank you to the club, and of course, also a big thank you to all the Arsenal fans who are very special.
    "I'm now focused on doing well in Brazil next season, but will always be looking out for the Arsenal results.
    "It is a great club with many great players, a good team spirit and a top-class manager. I wish you well for next season."

Uploads

Thibaut Courtois - Chelsea medical.
    COURTOIS HAVING CHELSEA MEDICAL

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has confirmed that Belgian goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois is undergoing a medical with a view to completing a move to the Barclays Premier League club.
    The Blues confirmed over the weekend that they had agreed a deal with Belgian champions Genk to sign the 19-year-old, who would be Villas-Boas' first signing since taking charge at Stamford Bridge.
    Villas-Boas, speaking on arrival in Malaysia where Chelsea will play a pre-season friendly on Thursday, told the club's official website: "At this moment he is having a medical but has not yet agreed personal terms."
    Courtois was voted Genk's player of the year last season as they won the national title, and was also named Belgian goalkeeper of the year.
    Courtois made his league debut for Genk in April 2009, aged just 16.
    Chelsea added on their official website: "It is not expected that he will join up with the squad in Asia should the transfer be completed in time."
    Following the match against a Malaysia XI in Kuala Lumpur, Chelsea move on to Bangkok to take on the Thailand All Stars before travelling to Hong Kong for two matches in the Barclays Asia Trophy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast