Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 19-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 19-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 19-07-11

Given - signs a five-year deal.
    ASTON VILLA SIGN SHAY GIVEN

Aston Villa have confirmed the signing of goalkeeper Shay Given from Manchester City on a five-year deal.
    Given, 35, is the Republic of Ireland's most capped player and becomes manager Alex McLeish's first signing since taking over at Villa Park.
    The former Blackburn and Newcastle keeper moved to City in 2009 for 7million but found first-team opportunities limited last season after England's Joe Hart became Roberto Mancini's preferred option.
    Given admits he was not featuring regularly enough under Mancini but is now relishing his latest challenge.
    "Everyone knows that I didn't play enough football last season, so I'm really pleased that I'll be able to put that right here. Hopefully, this move will get me back to where I was before in the Premier League, which is where every player wants to be playing," he told www.avfc.co.uk.
    "Aston Villa is a huge football club and I'm really excited to be joining. I'm looking forward to training and playing with the players here. They're a good bunch of lads, very talented and I know several of them already which will help.
    "Obviously, I'm also excited to be working with Alex McLeish and it's going to be a fresh start for everybody at the club this season.
    "It's also a new challenge and one I'm eager to embrace. My aim is to impress the Aston Villa supporters with my performances and I can't wait really to get started."
    The experienced goalkeeper started his career as a youngster at Celtic, who he had been linked with all summer, before moving on to Blackburn, Newcastle and City.
    McLeish made Given his goalkeeping target after Brad Friedel left for Tottenham earlier in the summer and the former Birmingham manager finally got his man before labelling his first acquisition at the club as "world-class".
    "Shay has come here probably with something of a point to prove and that won't do any harm at all," McLeish told www.avfc.co.uk.
    "Everybody who has watched him perform over many years in the Premier League will know his pedigree, so we believe we have secured the services of one of the best goalkeepers in the business. He's a real competitor and a world-class keeper and I'm delighted he's the first signing I've made at Villa."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 19-07-11

Patrick Vieira - Man City 'getting there'.
    MAN CITY WILL BE WORLD POWER - VIEIRA

Patrick Vieira is convinced Manchester City are on course to become one of the biggest clubs in the world.
    And the former City midfielder, who announced his retirement last week, hopes to play his part as he begins a new off-field role at the Etihad Stadium.
    The wealth of Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan has elevated City to elite level and last season's FA Cup win will be followed by Champions League participation and a possible title challenge next term.
    Vieira, now the club's football development executive, is excited by the possibilities.
    The 35-year-old said: "I think the target and the ambition of all the people working for this football club is really high.
    "They want to challenge the biggest clubs in the world and the club is getting there.
    "When you look at the club three years ago and where it is now, it is a big change. You never know where the club will be in three years.
    "We just have to keep working really hard, keep believing in what we are doing and I am sure the club will challenge the biggest in the world."
    Vieira will primarily be remembered as an Arsenal legend after making 372 appearances and winning three league titles during nine years with the Gunners.
    He only made 12 league starts after joining City in January 2010, but the club made a huge impression on him and he was keen to stay in some capacity after deciding to retire.
    Vieira, who also won 107 caps for France, said: "It was time for me to hang up the boots but I am really happy with my new role.
    "I have been at the club for a year-and-a-half but I feel like I have been here for 10 years.
    "The football club is growing up so fast and I am really proud to be part of it.
    "It is a hard decision but it was easy at the same time because the proposal from the club to work for them was exciting.
    "I wanted to learn the other side of the game as well, and what a club to do it at."
    Vieira was speaking as City unveiled ambitious plans for a new 80-acre, state-of-the-art training complex near to the Etihad Stadium.
    As part of the recently-announced Etihad Campus project, the club intend to develop a world-class facility for their first team and academy.
    "It is fantastic, unbelievable," said Vieira. "When you are a player what you ask for is a facility where you can express yourself and learn.
    "I don't think you will find a better facility than this around the world."

Uploads

Freedman - yet to decide.
    FREEDMAN COOL ON GOULD

Crystal Palace boss Dougie Freedman admits he has yet to decide whether or not to sign defender Morgan Gould.
    The 28-year-old South Africa international, who plays for Supersport in his homeland, is on a week-long trial in south London.
    And although he played his part in a 2-1 friendly win against Basingstoke, Freedman will wait to see him in action against League One side Wycombe.
    "The plan was for Morgan to spend a week with us and that is up on Tuesday - that is when I have to make my mind up," Freedman said.
    "He did fine against Basingstoke Town on Friday night but the Wycombe match gives us a chance to see how he does against better opposition. There is no need for us to commit right now."

Uploads

Sergio Aguero - Manchester City target.
    MANCINI EYES SERGIO AGUERO OFFER

Roberto Mancini expects Manchester City to lodge a bid for Atletico Madrid striker Sergio Aguero in the next few days despite Carlos Tevez's exit dragging on.
    After City's 2-1 friendly win over the Vancouver Whitecaps it was not long before post-match discussion turned to Tevez's on-off move to Brazilian outfit Corinthians, who earlier in the day denied having a 40million bid accepted for the 27-year-old.
    He said: "The clubs are talking. They only have one number and it does not work at the moment."
    Clearly though, Mancini is planning for life without his skipper, having confirmed a bid is expected to be lodged for Aguero in the next couple of days.
    "Maybe in the next days," he said.
    "I have not spoken to anyone about it, but probably. I think so."
    Midfielder Gareth Barry admitted there has been some dressing room discussion about Tevez, and that he does believe the South American has played his final game for City.
    However, the England star was not prepared to downplay his input.
    "There has obviously been the odd chat about Carlos," revealed Barry.
    "He has made it clear he is ready to leave and the players will respect his decision.
    "It is down to the club to decide what fee they want for Carlos.
    "We would be sad to lose him because he is a class player who has worked really hard for the club.
    "If you believe what you read, then yes, he has played his last game.
    "But he has been great for Manchester City. He has helped the club win its first trophy and he has always given 100%. We are grateful for that."
    And, such is the nature of City these days, the loss of one top player just heralds the arrival of another.
    "Aguero is a very exciting player from what I have seen on TV," said Barry.
    "He is a class act. Names like that will excite fans and the players."

Uploads

Cesc Fabregas - Barcelona target.
    HILL-WOOD: NO FRESH FABREGAS BID

Arsenal chairman Peter Hill-Wood insists they have not heard from Barcelona about Cesc Fabregas since rejecting their first offer for the midfielder.
    Fabregas' future at Arsenal has again dominated the headlines this summer with Barcelona once again making overtures to lure the player back to Spain.
    Gunners boss Arsene Wenger is keen to keep hold of Fabregas, but wants the transfer saga resolved one way or another before the new season starts.
    Hill-Wood told the Daily Star: "I am not sure how keen they are. There are still stories in the (Spanish) press, but they don't talk to us.
    "They've made one offer, which works out at around 26m, but that was ages ago. But at the moment our situation is very straightforward: we don't want to lose him.
    "Obviously if they come up with an offer which was a very good offer we would have to think about it.
    "We have told them a number of times that what they are proposing is unacceptable and yet they haven't moved on it.
    "I don't approve of what they are doing, but unfortunately it seems the way of the world right now."
    Hill-Wood admits he has become bored of the constant speculation surrounding Fabregas and a possible return to his hometown club.
    "It has become a real bore and an unnecessary interruption to what we are trying to achieve," added Hill-Wood.
    Hill-Wood also underlined Arsenal's intent to keep Samir Nasri.
    Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini recently confirmed they were hoping to sign Nasri this summer.
    Nasri has been linked with a move away from Arsenal with the Frenchman yet to agree a new deal at the Emirates Stadium.
    However, Hill-Wood is determined to keep the skilful midfielder at Arsenal despite the player entering the final year of his contract.
    "City seem to have more money than anybody else, and they keep splashing it around all over the place," added Hill-Wood.
    "But our position is very straightforward: we don't want the player to leave."

Uploads

Courtois - set for Atletico loan move.
    COURTOIS SET FOR ATLETICO LOAN

Chelsea are set to send new goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois on loan to Atletico Madrid after signing him.
    The Belgian starlet is putting the finishing touches on his move from Genk.
    But it has now emerged that he is set for a move to La Liga, where he is likely to replace David De Gea, who joined Manchester United earlier this summer.
    Atletico had rivalled Chelsea for his signature before the Blues won the race for him earlier this week.
    "It is better for me to go to Atletico, I can learn more in Spain than in Belgium," said Courtois.
    "I'll have to fight for my place, but that is life at the top. The easiest option for me would have been to stay at Genk.
    "I could be loaned out for a second or even third season before becoming part of Chelsea's first-team squad."
    Courtois insists Cheslea's big stars made him feel welcome when he was shown around Stamford Bridge.
    "I was already presented to the players, Lampard and Terry immediately talked to me, and Drogba said he saw on TV how I celebrated the title with Genk, and goalkeeper Petr Cech and I exchanged a few words."

Uploads

Gibson - Sunderland move fell through.
    FERGUSON: CATS LEFT GIBSON 'IN LIMBO'

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson claims Darron Gibson has been left in limbo after Sunderland 'moved the goalposts'.
    Sunderland made a triple offer to United for Gibson, Wes Brown and John O'Shea earlier in the summer's transfer window.
    Brown and O'Shea have since completed their moves to the Stadium of Light, but Gibson's switch to Wearside has fallen through.
    Ferguson said: "He was at the point of going to Sunderland and somewhere along the line, I don't know exactly when, I think Sunderland moved the goalposts.
    "I suppose their job is to try and save money.
    "From what I can gather, they gave him an offer and then changed it. That annoyed Darren and I think he's quite right.
    "If you can't trust them on day one why wait until day two?"
    Ferguson admits Gibson, who has been left behind from United's tour of the USA as he looks to sort out his future, has been left in limbo by the collapse of the Sunderland move.
    "Darron was undecided about what to do when we made the group up to come here - and we both felt he'd be better staying back," added Ferguson.
    "He seems to be in limbo at the moment."

Uploads

Arsene Wenger - has financial backing.
    GAZIDIS: GUNNERS HAVE MONEY TO SPEND

Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis has revealed the club has a "substantial amount of money" to spend during the current transfer window.
    The Gunners' transfer dealings are set to be closely scrutinised this summer after manager Arsene Wenger oversaw a sixth straight season with a trophy last term.
    Wenger made his first significant deal on Monday when he secured Ivory Coast striker Gervinho for a reported 11million from French champions Lille.
    Gervinho's arrival does not, however, address Arsenal's perceived weakness in defence and with star midfielders Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri possibly set to leave, Gazidis has admitted the north Londoners will be busy before the new season.
    "We still will be active in this window," Gazidis said.
    "We haven't finished our business at all. We're just not conducting it publicly. We're working hard privately. We understand where the weaknesses have been.
    "We're certainly not sitting there saying, 'let's hold back on our resources'.
    "We've got a substantial amount of money that we can invest."
    Reports have suggested that Wenger could have a transfer kitty of up to 35million at his disposal - a figure that could be further boosted should Fabregas or Nasri depart.
    While either player's departures would be met with frustration in north London, Gazidis revealed the club would be willing to replace them with high-profile names.
    "If we found an established world-class player and we thought the economics made sense and he would add to what we could do on the pitch then there's no philosophical objection to that," he added.
    "Arsene has no point of principle to show the world that he can build his own team of young players.
    "We have to challenge for trophies in that environment and we will.
    "We, as a club, have transformed ourselves in the last decade or so.
    "We have no God-given right to be one of the biggest clubs in the world. It's easy to lose perspective on what Arsene is trying to do, which, I think, is an extraordinary vision."

Uploads

Marek Hamsik - linked with AC Milan.
    HAMSIK HAPPY AT NAPOLI

Napoli star Marek Hamsik has revealed he is content to stay at the club despite reports linking him with a move to AC Milan this summer.
    The Slovakian midfielder has attracted the attention of a number of top European clubs after an impressive campaign with Napoli.
    Hamsik scored 11 goals in 37 league appearances to help the Naples outfit finish third in Serie A last season.
    "I am happy to remain," said Hamsik. "I am very happy at Napoli."
    Hamsik, who joined Napoli from Brescia in 2007, is under contract with the Serie A outfit for another four years.
    Napoli recently placed a 100million euros asking price for the 23-year-old Hamsik.

Uploads

Keith Millen - frustrated.
    MILLEN FRUSTRATED IN MARKET

Bristol City boss Keith Millen continues to be frustrated in the transfer market, admitting he is no nearer to bolstering his backline.

Millen believes a centre-half and a left-back are vital additions if the Robins are to challenge for promotion from the Championship.
    Having missed out on several targets already this summer including Billy Jones, Steven Caulker and Andrew Taylor, Millen is now extending his search to potential loan signings, but says the trail has currently gone cold.
    "We've had discussions about it and we know where we are weak. There is no doubt that we need to improve defensively and nothing has changed," he told the Bristol Evening Post.
    "Since Steven Caulker went back to Tottenham at the end of last season, we have been on the lookout for a tall first-ball-winning centre-half, someone who can command in the air.
    "But it's gone quiet in the transfer market for the minute and it's gone quiet both ways, in terms of bringing players in and moving them out.
    "We're still waiting on three or four phone calls and, who knows, we might get a 'yes' one day."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast