Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 20-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 20-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 20-07-11

Nicolas Anelka - happy at Chelsea.
    ANELKA VOWS TO FIGHT FOR PLACE

Chelsea striker Nicolas Anelka has vowed to fight for his place under new manager Andre Villas-Boas.
    With England Under-21 striker Daniel Sturridge back from an impressive loan spell at Bolton, Fernando Torres insisting he is ready to justify his 50million price-tag and evergreen Didier Drogba ready to go again, there had been suggestions 32-year-old Anelka would be ready to leave and move to Major League Soccer in the United States.
    However, the France striker, who broke through as a teenager at Arsenal in 1997/98, insists he still has plenty to offer as Chelsea prepare for Thursday's friendly against a Malaysia XI at the sold-out 84,000 Bukit Jalil National Stadium.
    "I am still here and still very pleased to be with Chelsea. I like a challenge," Anelka said, quoted by the London Evening Standard.
    "It is all part of the game and when you play at a club like Chelsea you have to be ready to meet the challenge from wherever it comes.
    "Every single member of this squad will have to fight to play and I am ready to fight."
    Anelka welcomes the healthy competition and believes Torres, who took time to settle following his big-money January move from Liverpool, will come good.
    "The problem last season was that Fernando was a new player and it is difficult when you come from another team and then play in a style you are not used to," he said.
    "Now he is getting used to how we perform he has scored one goal in pre-season already.
    "Fernando looked sharp and I think everything will be okay for him."
    Anelka echoed the sentiments of team-mate Frank Lampard, who claimed no matter how much their Barclays Premier League title rivals spend, Chelsea still believe they will be the team to beat.
    "I don't think we need to strengthen the squad if we are going to win the Champions League," he said.
    "We have a good squad already. We are strong everywhere and I do not detect any real weaknesses."
    He added: "Our biggest challenge will be the same as it has always been - Manchester United. They won the title and have bought some good players so they will be our biggest challengers, but we will be ready for them I can assure you."
    Sturridge, meanwhile, is determined to make an impression on the new Blues manager, having netted eight league goals in 12 appearances for Bolton.
    "I'm here training in pre-season and looking forward to the start of the new season, where I can show everybody what I am capable of doing," he said on Sky Sports News.
    "It is the same in every team around the world. Every striker has got to fight for their place and it is no different here.
    "It doesn't matter whether you are a star or not a star, you have to show the manager what you are capable of doing. Every season is a new season.
    "The past is the past, in my opinion, so everyone has got to fight for their place."
    Chelsea are close to completing the signing of young Genk goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, and Villas-Boas is expected to further strengthen his squad when they return from the Barclays Asia Trophy, which could see them face Aston Villa or Blackburn.
    Tottenham's Luka Modric and Belgian starlet Romelu Lukaku are both understood to be high on the new Chelsea manager's wishlist.
    Full-back Ashley Cole has been impressed by how the former Porto boss, who was part of Jose Mourinho's backroom staff at Stamford Bridge, has settled into his new role.
    The England defender said: "We have a young manager who is somewhat on the same wavelength with the players. This is wonderful to the team.
    "When we train and if we are tired the manager will stop the training and move on to other things to add spice to our training sessions.
    "This has been good and we have come on fine so far."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 20-07-11

Denilson - joins Sao Paulo on loan.
    DENILSON LEAVES GUNNERS ON LOAN

Arsenal have confirmed midfielder Denilson has returned to former club Sao Paulo on loan for the 2011-12 campaign.
    The 23-year-old, signed in August 2006, struggled to hold down a regular place in Arsene Wenger's side last season.
    The Brazil midfielder is looking forward to getting back into action.
    He said: "I will be playing in Brazil next season as I felt that this is a good opportunity for me to play regular first-team football.
    "I move away with sadness because I have so many friends at Arsenal and everyone has always been so supportive towards me.
    "I'm now focused on doing well in Brazil next season, but will always be looking out for the Arsenal results. It is a great club with many great players, a good team spirit and a top-class manager. I wish you well for next season."

Uploads

Gervinho - new Arsenal signing.
    GERVINHO: WE'LL SURVIVE WITHOUT DUO

New Arsenal forward Gervinho maintains the club will move on should they not be able to keep hold of wantaway captain Cesc Fabregas and contract rebel Samir Nasri.
    Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola has re-iterated the Spanish club's desire to bring their former trainee back to the Nou Camp, with sporting vice-president Josep Bartomeu reported to have jetted into London looking to push through a 35million deal.
    Fabregas missed Arsenal's successful tour of Asia as he worked on his fitness because of a niggling hamstring injury, and could also sit out Saturday's friendly in Cologne.
    Nasri, meanwhile, has yet to agree terms on a new deal, with Manchester City one of several suitors for the 20m-rated France midfielder.
    While there are set to be plenty more developments over the closing six weeks of the summer transfer window, Gervinho, who has now completed his 11m move from Lille, insists whatever happens life at Arsenal will go on.
    "It is football, everything moves quickly," Gervinho told Radio Monte Carlo Sport.
    "If the club does not manage to keep these players, they will be able to replace them."
    Gervinho added: "Arsenal will always remain a large club. No-one knows what will happen in the future, maybe in a year or two Arsenal will win titles."
    Despite Wenger's determination to hold onto his key men, with lucrative new deals on the table for both, the Arsenal manager has become frustrated with Barcelona's continued public pursuit of Fabregas, labelling Xavi's comments last week as "very disrespectful".
    However, the Spain World Cup winning midfielder insists he did not want to get into a "war of words" with the Gunners boss, claiming he was "only acting in the interest of Cesc and of Barca".
    There is, though, unlikely to be a smooth finale to what has become a perennial and protracted saga.
    Wenger is thought to already be looking at potential replacements should the departures of Fabregas and Nasri leave a gaping hole in Arsenal's creative midfield.
    Brazil midfielder Felipe Melo has announced he is close to leaving Juventus, and is a player Wenger has tracked in the past, while moves for Bayern Munich's French playmaker Frank Ribery, Valencia midfielder Juan Mata and Bosnian Miralem Pjanic, at Lyon, have also been suggested.
    The Arsenal boss is also expected to bring in at least one more defender, with Bolton's Gary Cahill and German international Per Mertesacker long-term targets.
    Southampton youngster Alex Chamberlain believes he is ready to play in the Premier League, and Wenger remains keen to bring the 17-year-old to Emirates Stadium, although probably not at the reported fee of 10m wanted by the npower Championship side.
    Arsenal face a testing opening to the new campaign, which will see them tackle both Liverpool and Manchester United around a two-legged Champions League play-off before the end of August.
    With all of their rivals strengthening during the summer, Wenger's young Gunners will again face a stern test of their top-four credentials.
    Defender Johan Djourou is up for the battle.
    He told www.arsenal.com: "You have to fight and that's what makes the English league so good to watch because there is competition.
    "We know there are favourites, but there are outside teams who can make trouble.
    "As players we have to be on our toes, but I think Arsenal is still on top because even if I look at last season, the problem before was that we couldn't beat the biggest teams but last season we didn't have any problem with that.
    "So I think we just need to get those little things right and it will be great for us."

Uploads

Kompany - confident.
    KOMPANY MEANS BUSINESS WITH CITY

Vincent Kompany is convinced Manchester City will be stronger in the new season - whether Carlos Tevez is still at the club or not.
    Tevez's proposed move to Corinthians has fallen through, after it became obvious the Brazilian outfit did not have immediate access to the 40million fee which had been agreed.
    It leaves the South American in a quandary, given his stated desire to be somewhere more accessible to wife Vanesa and two daughters and previously disparaging comments about life in Manchester.
    There is also the little matter of his relationship with team-mates should he return to the Blues after the short break which has followed Argentina's elimination from the Copa America.
    It has been suggested some City players have urged manager Roberto Mancini to strip Tevez of the captain's armband, with Kompany a more stable alternative.
    That is not an issue the Belgian wishes to consider.
    The 25-year-old defender is focused purely on day one of the new season, which for him comes on August 7, when City square up to Manchester United in the Community Shield at Wembley.
    By then, with or without Tevez, Kompany expects the Blues to be more formidable.
    "Until there is an actual signature and it is confirmed he is not a Manchester City player any more, I don't have to comment," said Kompany.
    "What I do know is that the group will be stronger next season, with or without him.
    "Whether he stays or goes, it won't change what we want to achieve. The goals remain the same."
    Improvement on a season that brought a third-place finish and automatic entry into the Champions League, plus an end to a 35-year trophy drought, does not leave much room outside a tilt at the title.
    For that, City will need Kompany to show the form which earned him so many positive reviews last term.
    Not that Kompany wants to measure himself on the campaign as a whole.
    "I did set a standard last season but I feel I have improved because I have not been thinking about my performances over an entire season," he said.
    "As far as I am concerned, my last game was Bolton on the final day of the season. My next will be against Manchester United in the Community Shield, when I hope to be better.
    "I am having a good pre-season so far. I feel fit and strong and things are positive. I want to keep it that way."
    With Tevez though, life is never so straightforward.
    Privately, City had always questioned whether the Corinthians deal would go through, so they have not entirely been shocked by the latest twist in developments.
    The Brazilians are suggesting the transfer may be resurrected in January, although it is hard to see that going any more smoothly.
    "The board of Sporting Club Corinthians hereby officially announce the impossibility of hiring the Argentinian striker Carlos Tevez," said the Corinthians statement.
    "While acknowledging the efforts of Manchester City and all involved in the negotiation, more time is needed for the transfer to be achieved, given that the window to sign players from abroad closes on Wednesday, July 20.
    "We aware of the dream our fans had of having this player at Corinthians again and we look forward to him being with us in the near future."

Uploads

Tevez - Cornithians move off.
    CORINTHIANS CALL OFF TEVEZ DEAL

Carlos Tevez's proposed 40million move from Manchester City to Brazilian outfit Corinthians has collapsed.
    City thought a deal had been agreed for their skipper to get his wish and leave the club, allowing him to go back to South America and be closer to his wife Vanesa and two young daughters.
    However, with the Brazilian transfer window looming, Corinthians dropped a bombshell on their official website.
    "The board of Sporting Club Corinthians hereby officially announce the impossibility of hiring the Argentine striker Carlos Tevez," said the statement.
    "While acknowledging the efforts of Manchester City and all involved in the negotiation, more time is needed for the transfer to be achieved, given that the window to sign players from abroad closes on Wednesday, July 20.
    "We are aware of the dream our fans had of having this player at Corinthians again and we look forward to him being with us in the near future."
    That indicates Corinthians will try to put a deal in place during the January transfer window, even though Tevez wanted to have left the Blues by then.
    Yet the number of clubs who can afford the former West Ham man is slim.
    Corinthians came out of left field to make their move and this failure will re-open debate about Inter Milan, Real Madrid or Juventus.
    Yet, so far, none of these clubs has shown any great desire to snap up the joint Golden Boot winner, whose impressive industry is matched only by his ability to court controversy.
    Corinthians' response to City's demand for a proper payment schedule was perhaps a sign the transfer would not have gone smoothly even if it had gone through.
    It leaves Tevez, back home after Argentina's untimely Copa America exit, to contemplate his fate, knowing City are keen to lure fellow countryman Sergio Aguero to the club and provide even more competition for places.

Uploads

Lukaku - strongly linked with Chelsea.
    CHELSEA MAKE LUKAKU BID - REPORT

Chelsea have reportedly made a bid for Anderlecht striker Romelu Lukaku.
    The Blues have long been leading the chase for the 18-year-old, who is valued at around 20million by his club.
    And according to Sky Sports sources, that interest has now been formalised into an offer for the Belgian starlet.
    Lukaku, who has also been linked with Arsenal, Liverpool, Manchester City and Tottenham in the past, is already a regular for his club and a full international while he's also been touted as the new Didier Drogba by some for his powerful style of play.
    While he has been linked to clubs throughout Europe, he has previously revealed he wanted to move to the Premier League.
    And as a confirmed Chelsea fan, the lure of a move to Stamford Bridge could prove too powerful to resist.

Uploads

MAN CITY LET JO GO TO BRAZIL

Brazilian striker Jo has left Manchester City to join Internacional in his homeland, the Barclays Premier League club have confirmed.
    The 24-year-old was briefly City's record signing when he joined from CSKA Moscow in 2008 for a fee of around 18million, although he was swiftly overtaken in that regard by his countryman Robinho later the same summer.
    However, despite the high expectations, Jo never adapted to life in the Premier League, and scored only six goals in 41 appearances for City.
    Jo, capped three times by Brazil, also had spells on loan at Everton and Galatasaray, but could not recapture the form that had made him such an exciting prospect in Russia.

Uploads

Sturridge - wanted by Coyle at Bolton this season.
    STURRIDGE WANTS CHELSEA STAY

Daniel Sturridge does not want to leave Chelsea and is determined to prove he can be a first-team star for manager Andre Villas-Boas.
    The England Under 21 striker spent the second half of last season on loan at Bolton and scored eight league goals in 12 appearances for Owen Coyle's club.
    Coyle made it clear he would like to keep Sturridge, but the former Manchester City player was determined to return to Stamford Bridge.
    The 21-year-old's decision came despite the tough competition for places at Chelsea, where 50million man Fernando Torres, Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka are expected to figure in the plans of Villas-Boas.
    Sturridge has yet to discuss in detail his role with his new boss, but the forward told Sky Sports News when asked if he sees himself as a Chelsea player: "Never any doubt.
    "I'm here training in pre-season and looking forward to the start of the new season, where I can show everybody what I am capable of doing."
    Sturridge is adamant he is happy to fight for a place and demonstrate his goalscoring ability to Villas-Boas.
    He said: "It is the same in every team around the world. Every striker has got to fight for their place and it is no different here."
    Sturridge added: "It is a thing every striker has got to be prepared to do. There are no guarantees in football at any club.
    "It doesn't matter whether you are a star or not a star, you have to show the manager what you are capable of doing. Every season is a new season.
    "The past is the past, in my opinion, so everyone has got to fight for their place."

Uploads

Matt Taylor - set for Bolton exit.
    MATT TAYLOR SET FOR BOLTON EXIT

Bolton midfielder Matt Taylor has flown home from the club's pre-season tour of America in order to seal a move to West Ham.
    The 29-year-old, who has 12 months left on his contract, has attracted interest from a number of clubs.
    But it's understood Wanderers have accepted a bid worth an initial 2.2million from the Hammers.
    Taylor was signed from Portsmouth for 3.5million by Gary Megson in January 2008 and with only a year left on his deal Bolton are happy to let the midfielder leave.
    He failed to reproduce his best form last season, scoring just twice, and found his left-sided position under threat from Martin Petrov.
    Taylor was an unused substitute in Bolton's second friendly of their US trip, a 3-1 win over Orlando.
    The player must now pass a medical and agree personal terms with West Ham, where he will join up with former Wanderers captain Kevin Nolan.
    Taylor's departure and the subsequent income it generates should help spark some transfer activity at the club with manager Owen Coyle interested in Barcelona forward Jeffren and former Aston Villa midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker.

Uploads

Jovanovic - could make Anderlecht move.
    JOVANOVIC NEARS LIVERPOOL EXIT

Liverpool forward Milan Jovanovic appears to be edging closer the exit at Anfield with a return to Belgium looking likely.
    The 30-year-old joined the Reds on a free transfer last summer from Standard Liege but struggled to hold down a regular place.
    He made just one start after Kenny Dalglish took over for the second half of the season and did not make the squad for the final four months of the campaign.
    The Serbia international's wife has already expressed her preference to return to Belgium and it appears Anderlecht have made their move.
    "We're currently negotiating with Jovanovic but we couldn't achieve an agreement (yet)," a spokesman for the Belgian side told BBC Sport.
    "We're very much interested and the player would like to come.
    "Anderlecht are due to contact Liverpool today."
    Jovanovic is one of a number of players surplus to requirements at Anfield and has been told he can leave.
    The stumbling block so far has been finding a club willing to come close to matching the player's current wages, which are believed to be around 60,000 a week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast