Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 21-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 21-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 21-07-11

Darren Bent - no plans to leave Aston Villa.
    DARREN BENT WON'T ROCK THE BOAT

Darren Bent insists he has no intention of being the next high-profile departure from Aston Villa this summer.
    The England international was drafted in by Villa last season to provide a cutting edge up front and help steer the club clear of relegation trouble.
    He repaid their faith with interest, with nine goals in 16 games suggesting he was worth every penny of his 24million transfer fee.
    That success was achieved with international colleagues Stewart Downing and Ashley Young providing the ammunition from the flanks.
    Villa will be forced to adopt a different approach in 2011/12, though, as Downing has joined Liverpool and Young has moved on to Manchester United.
    Bent said: "Obviously what Stewy and Ash did was for their careers - Manchester United and Liverpool are two of the biggest clubs in the world, so they've got their reasons for doing it.
    "But me, I'm more than happy to be here and play for Aston Villa. It's a terrific football club.
    "I'd like to be here for the long haul. I want to build on that and hopefully this season will be as successful as last."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 21-07-11

Carlos Tevez - future in double.
    TEVEZ WILL RESPECT CITY - JOORABCHIAN

Carlos Tevez will "respect" Manchester City if he fails to secure his desired move away from the club this summer, according to his agent Kia Joorabchian.
    Tevez saw a proposed move to Corinthians fall through, with City claiming the Brazilian club had failed to provide the required bank guarantees on the 40million fee.
    Joorabchian denied that guarantees were the issue, claiming there were still sticking points over other aspects of the deal, but said that Tevez would remain calm while he waits for his future to be resolved.
    The collapse of the Corinthians deal once again makes it a strong possibility that Tevez is forced to remain with City, due to a shortage of suitors who can afford the transfer fee and wages.
    But Joorabchian said that, while his client was keen to move, he would not cause his current club problems.
    "I think Carlos is a very calm person," Joorabchian told Sky Sports News.
    "He's neither disappointed nor happy. He's very calm. We waited to see how the deal would be structured and he tried to keep out of it in terms of insisting on anything.
    "Now he'll go on holiday after the Copa America and see what happens.
    "There was a concrete offer on the table, and it was very close to being negotiated and agreed, but unfortunately it didn't go through. There's not really any speculation from our standpoint (on what happens next).
    "He's still a City player and he will respect that. We will keep it like that until there's something else concrete on the table."
    Since Corinthians announced in the early hours of the morning that the deal was off, City have indicated it was due to the lack of a bank guarantee, with concerns over how the Brazilian club would fund a deal worth four times their previous transfer record.
    Joorabchian dismissed that notion, claiming FIFA rules provided enough security for City.
    "It had nothing to do with proof of funds," he said.
    "Obviously there will be active people at City that might try to put some sort of spin on it, but I don't think the top management really believe it. They are both FIFA clubs, both FIFA members, and it would be almost impossible for Corinthians not to pay.
    "They are the largest club in Brazil. There would not be any issue with it. It is almost like Barcelona, Real Madrid or Manchester United not paying. They are the largest club in South America and with that kind of revenue, I don't think that would be an issue.
    "I do know from speaking to Corinthians that City did ask for a bank guarantee and Corinthians said that would be not be a problem if City would want it.
    "But from Corinthians' point of view, there was no point in doing so until the offer was agreed, and what kind of offer did they want to agree?"
    With the Brazilian transfer window closing early tomorrow, Joorabchian said the deal was now dead without hope of resurrection, but he believes a move could still materialise for Tevez this summer.
    "I do think they were very close, and if there were three or four days left in the market, it would have been completed.
    "City clearly have an intention of selling Carlos, but now it is going to be a little more complicated.
    "It's all speculation at the moment. The market has only been open for two weeks. There are six weeks left. Anything might happen yet."
    City appear keen to sign Tevez's Argentina team-mate Sergio Aguero regardless of the collapse of the deal, but Joorabchian struck down a suggestion that another ambitious signing would make Tevez change his mind about staying with City.
    "Carlos' future has got nothing to do with other players," he said.
    "He is an individual who bases himself around his own happiness and I don't think it will be anything to do with anyone joining that changes Carlos' mind."
    One striker definitely leaving City is Brazilian Jo who is joining Internacional in his homeland.
    The 24-year-old was briefly City's record signing when he joined from CSKA Moscow in 2008 for a fee of around 18million, although he was swiftly overtaken in that regard by his countryman Robinho later the same summer.
    However, despite the high expectations, Jo never adapted to life in the Premier League, and scored only six goals in 41 appearances for City.
    Jo, capped three times by Brazil, also had spells on loan at Everton and Galatasaray, but could not recapture the form that had made him such an exciting prospect in Russia.

Uploads

Diouf - linked with Blackpool move.
    DIOUF PLAYS DOWN BLACKPOOL LINKS

Manchester United striker Mame Biram Diouf has played down reports linking him with a move to Blackpool.
    The Senegal marksman, who was loaned to Blackburn last season, was reportedly wanted by Seasiders boss Ian Holloway.
    Diouf is currently on the Red Devils' pre-season tour of the United States and he has not heard anything from the Bloomfield Road outfit.
    The 23-year-old former Molde man wants to stay at Old Trafford and fight for a first-team place despite the fact Sir Alex Ferguson has a plethora of strikers at his disposal.
    "I've not heard about that one," he said of Blackpool's reported interest on Sky Sports News.
    "People are asking me about Blackpool, but no one's spoken to me. It's all just rumours.
    "Of course I'd like to stay at Manchester United, everyone dreams about playing for this club.
    "When I got a chance to be with them I always wanted to be here. I want to win trophies here.
    "I'll do my best, but we'll see what happens after pre-season."

Uploads

David De Gea - not guaranteed starting spot.
    FERGUSON WARNING FOR DE GEA

Sir Alex Ferguson has warned big-money summer signing David De Gea he isn't guaranteed to be Manchester United's first-choice goalkeeper.
    The Spaniard joined United from Atletico Madrid after playing for Spain at the European Under-21 Championship and was expected to fill the void left by Edwin van der Sar's retirement at the end of last season.
    But with January arrival Anders Lindegaard and youngster Ben Amos making a serious of excellent stops in United's 7-0 pre-season romp against Seattle Sounders, they proved they will provide De Gea with plenty of competition.
    Ferguson said: "Obviously we have signed David de Gea as the main choice I would imagine.
    "But Anders Lindegaard and Ben Amos have probably said to themselves they have an opportunity with Van der Sar retiring.
    "It is an open door for me.
    "De Gea will play on Saturday against Chicago but they will all get their fair share of games and the decision on who starts the season will depend on how De Gea settles."
    While both goalkeepers used caught the eye, striker Wayne Rooney was the undoubted star of the show against Seattle.
    Introduced as a second-half substitute, the England international wasted no time in making his mark, finding the net three times within the space of 21 minutes to signal his well-being ahead of the new campaign.
    "It is nice he scored," said Ferguson.
    "We are pleased for all the goalscorers but three goals is a nice start for him.
    "He has worked hard. He has done really well in training."
    Michael Owen, Mame Biram Diouf, Park Ji-sung and Gabriel Obertan also found the net and Ferguson wants to see a similar spread of firepower across the season as a whole.
    "Last year we depended on three players for our goals, so that was good," he said.
    Although De Gea's fellow new-boy Ashley Young has not managed to score any of United's impressive two-game haul of 11, the former Aston Villa man has settled in well and already looks as though he will make a positive contribution to United's quest for honours.
    "I am just delighted to be here and get myself on the pitch," he said.
    "No disrespect for the Villa boys but as soon as I heard of Manchester United's interest, I just wanted to get the deal done and start training.
    "I can play left, right, off the front striker or as a main striker, so I just have to concentrate on my own game and wherever I am picked, do myself justice.
    "The manager bought me for a reason, to get assists and goals and work hard for the team. If I can do that every time I am selected, my job is done."
    It is the first time Young has been exposed to the sheer size of the club he has now joined. And while the reception United have received does not compare to an Asian tour, the sight of fans maintaining a constant presence outside the team hotel is novel.
    "This is fantastic for me," he said. "You come to the United States and see the number of fans outside the hotel every day.
    "It is crazy and just shows how big the club is.
    "For me to be part of that is fantastic."

Uploads

Milner - up for the fight.
    MILNER UP FOR MAN CITY FIGHT

James Milner has vowed to fight for his place in Roberto Mancini's star-studded Manchester City team next season.
    The England international struggled to hold down a regular spot in the starting line-up last season following his arrival from Aston Villa.
    Milner has rejected suggestions that he could leave City this summer and is determined to prove he deserves a place in the side next term.
    "It's a big season for me," said Milner. "You come to a new club and it takes time to find your bearings.
    "But now I want to get a foothold in the team and prove to people that I'm good enough to be here and in the team regularly.
    "Winning silverware is the only reason why I came here. We did that last season and that showed it was the right move for me. At the end of your career you look back and you want to see a trophy cabinet full of winners' medals.
    "You want to be able to tell people, 'I've won this, this and this'. That's what drives me on. That's what I feel I can achieve at this club. I want to be the best player I can and win trophies."
    Milner accepts competition for places in City's side is tough, but believes the array of talent at Mancini's disposal can only be good for the club.
    "It is tough to get in the team but that's what happens when you're at a top club like this. You want to be pushed as a player, you want to improve," added Milner.
    "When you have two or three top-class players in each position it's good for everyone. It is good for the club, the manager and the players because it really challenges you.
    "It will make me a better player watching these guys play and train. You know you have to play well and train well if you're going to get a shirt on the Saturday."
    Milner also welcomed Sir Alex Ferguson's admission that City are likely to pose a serious threat to Manchester United's hopes of retaining their Premier League title next season.
    "Yes, it's a boost to hear that," said Milner. "You hear positive and negative things said about you , but we'll get on with our job. We know we have to improve as a club and a team but we think we can carry on moving forward.
    "You look to improve every year and we did that last year. Now we'll be looking to do that again. Finishing third was a very good season for us and also winning the FA Cup.
    "But now we'll be looking to top that, so a natural progression would be to finish second and really push hard for the title. We think it could be a possibility."

Uploads

Jagielka - Arsenal bid rejected by Toffees.
    EVERTON REJECT ARSENAL JAGIELKA BID

Everton are determined to hang on to centre-back Phil Jagielka in the face of a bid from Arsenal.
    The Gunners made a 10million offer to take the 28-year-old to the Emirates Stadium which was rejected out of hand.
    Press Association Sport understands that was 2million lower than the one made 12 months ago.
    The Merseyside club view the bid as being well below the player's market value, particularly as the defender signed a new four-year contract in March.
    Everton have yet to make any signings so far this summer and their tight finances means manager David Moyes is likely to have to sell players in order to be able to bring in new faces.
    But Jagielka is not one of those on the list which the Toffees boss is looking to offload, although should a bid closer to the club's valuation of about 20million come in they would have to seriously consider it.
    Arsenal have also been linked with Bolton centre-back Gary Cahill and Blackburn's Chris Samba and Gunners boss Arsene Wenger could well explore those options.

Uploads

Taarabt - in talks with PSG.
    TAARABT SAYS HE COULD STAY WITH QPR

QPR captain Adel Taarabt admits he could yet ply his trade for the R's next season if a move to Paris Saint-Germain does not come to fruition.
    The 22-year-old has been the subject of rife speculation this summer after shining during QPR's promotion from the npower Championship last season.
    Numerous clubs across Europe have been mooted as a potential destination for Taarabt, with PSG looking the most likely to land his signature.
    The Morocco international admits talks are ongoing with the Ligue 1 club but says he may yet stay in west London.
    "We're talking with Paris Saint-Germain, but nothing is done," he told BBC Sport.
    "We're very close, but if no deal is reached then I will play for QPR in the Premier League."
    News that Taarabt could remain at Loftus Road will be a welcome boost for manager Neil Warnock, who has admitted he is unlikely to be given any cash from the potential sale.
    "Flavio Briatore is dealing with all the transfers at the moment. He's dealing with PSG and Adel himself," he told Sky Sports News.
    "I've just got to wait until he tells me one way or another. It would be nice to get it done because we've got to look and plan ahead.
    "If he is going to leave us the day before the season starts we're going to be right in the cart so we've got to get it done.
    "Adel wins games for you. He would set the Premier League on fire.
    "I am hoping things break down if I'm honest, but I think if they come up with the money then I am sure he will be on his bike.
    "There is nobody like Adel Taarabt but you've just got to move on.
    "It's hard work to get players in anyhow.
    "I don't think I'll be getting any of the money, I think we have just got to look for Bosmans and look for shrewd acquisitions, loan players etc.
    "Try and do it on the smallest transfer fee outlet there's ever been.
    "We'll be trying to survive on that and that will be another achievement."
    Meanwhile, QPR have agreed a deal in principle that will see Max Ehmer joined Yeovil on a six-month youth loan.
    The 19-year-old recently penned a contract extension at Loftus Road until 2013 and is expected to secure a return to Somerset on Monday.
    Ehmer made 27 appearances for Yeovil in npower League One last season during a similar spell.

Uploads

Juan Mata - seeking Valencia stay.
    JUAN MATA: I WANT TO STAY

Valencia forward Juan Mata has distanced himself from a move to the Premier League or anywhere else this summer, reiterating that he is happy to remain at Mestalla.
    The Spain star, who was part of Vicente del Bosque's World Cup-winning squad last year and led the Under-21 side to glory in the European Championship earlier this summer, has repeatedly claimed to be content at Valencia.
    Nevertheless, transfer speculation has continued and the player has been linked with the likes of Arsenal, Manchester City and Tottenham this summer.
    His coach, Unai Emery, admitted that Valencia may sell if a big team comes in with an attractive offer, telling Cadena Copa: "Valencia has to be prepared for a footballer having to leave, either because is he is not wanted or because some big club wants to sign him.
    "We want him to stay and Mata has also expressed his wish to remain at Valencia, but we know that if a big-money offer comes in from any club and it's good for both the player and the club, it could lead to his exit."
    But Mata says he is focused on his current club and, in remarks reported by Marca, said: "I have never said I want to leave.
    "From here to August 31, if there are any offers then the first to know about it will be the club. I never said I wasn't happy here.
    "There's no point speaking about suppositions. I like to talk about realities. I am very relaxed because if there is anything, the club will assess it.
    Mata claims he is used to dealing with transfer talk, in any case, having been tipped to move to Barcelona during last summer's World Cup and then heavily linked with several sides during the recent Euros.
    "For me, isolating myself is no problem," he said.
    "I already went through it at the World Cup and at the European Under-21 Championship.
    "I know the boss said something yesterday (about the possibility of me leaving), but I am not aware of any offer having arrived."

Uploads

Foster - confirmed interest from the Baggies.
    HODGSON IN FOR FOSTER LOAN

West Brom boss Roy Hodgson has admitted his interest in bringing goalkeeper Ben Foster to The Hawthorns and the Black County club are in talks with Birmingham.
    Unconfirmed reports suggested Blues would be willing to allow Foster, who has currently made himself unavailable for England, to leave St Andrew's on loan over the forthcoming season in a bid to reduce their wage bill as they continue to count the cost of relegation to the npower Championship.
    Foster has been linked with a host of clubs over the summer, with midlands neighbours Albion leading the chase having sold Scott Carson to Turkish club Bursaspor for an undisclosed fee.
    Asked about the 28-year-old stopper, Hodgson told the Express & Star: "I am aware of our interest in Ben Foster but I am not aware of how far down the line we are with our negotiations with Birmingham, so I can't make any comments on that.
    "But Ben Foster is a goalkeeper who interests us and, if we can get him to West Bromwich Albion on loan or on a permanent deal, that would be something we would be very happy about."
    Earlier this week, Hodgson spoke of a "couple of major targets" that he had identified who would make a major difference to his squad, stressing chairman Jeremy Peace knows who they are and will hopefully be acting.
    The Baggies boss refused to name his targets but one is certain to be a goalkeeper while the other is thought to be a striker, with Reading's Shane Long believed to be on their radar.
    Albion also still have interest in former Manchester United midfielder Owen Hargreaves and plan to hold further talks with the free agent in the near future.

Uploads

Macheda - will not return to Italy on loan this season.
    MACHEDA AGENT - NO ITALY RETURN

Federico Macheda's agent expects the striker to remain at Manchester United and has ruled out a loan return to Italy this season.
    The 19-year-old faces fierce competition for a spot in Sir Alex Ferguson's first-team, with Wayne Rooney and Javier Hernandez already established as the manager's preferred partnership up front.
    Ferguson also has Dimitar Berbatov and Michael Owen at his disposal, while Macheda and Danny Welbeck have recently returned from loan stints to complete his strike force.
    Italy Under-21 international Macheda spent the second half of last season on loan at Sampdoria but struggled to make an impact at the Serie A side, failing to score in 13 appearances, while the club were relegated.
    The youngster has already voiced his desire to remain at Old Trafford this season and fight for a place in Ferguson's line-up.
    His agent, Giovanni Bia, says another loan spell with an Italian side is out of the question.
    He told direttanews: "Federico is in Manchester and is very well in England. I rule out a return to Italy."
    Macheda scored a double for United to help them beat New England Revolution 4-1 in a pre-season friendly last week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast