Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 22-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 22-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 22-07-11

Mancini - wants to bolster his squad.
    MAN CITY WANT THREE NEW NAMES

Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini believes he needs to sign three new players regardless of whether Carlos Tevez stays or goes.
    The Italian insists the Argentinian remains an important player for the club even as he tries to secure a move away from Eastlands.
    The 27-year-old saw his hopes of returning to South America to be closer to his wife and two daughters dashed when Brazilian side Corinthians pulled out of a 40million move, citing the impossibility of concluding the deal before the closure of their transfer window.
    And, as he looks to turn City into a side capable of winning the Barclays Premier League, Mancini, who has been linked with a move for Atletico Madrid striker Sergio Aguero, still feels his side needs strengthening.
    "I think it is really difficult to buy any players because all the good teams want these players," Mancini said on Sky Sports News.
    "But I hope that before the game against (Manchester) United (in the Community Shield on August 7) we can have all these players.
    "We have two, three targets but it depends.
    "We need to improve because we are at the moment a few players (short) for competition and we need to have other players."
    For the time being at least, Mancini still has Tevez and the manager is adamant he is still welcome at the club.
    "At the moment Carlos is still a City player, like yesterday, like three days ago," the Italian said.
    "In the future we will see what can happen. But for us Carlos is an important player.
    "Carlos wants to leave, wants to come back to Argentina or maybe another country for his family. It is only because of this I think that the club accept to sell Carlos, because I think that we respect his reasons."
    Tevez, on holiday after Argentina were knocked out of the Copa America, is said not to be "overly worried" by the collapse of his move to Corinthians.
    Reports in Italy have suggested the striker has already met with Inter Milan sporting director Marco Branca yesterday and his representative Kia Joorabchian is confident new bids will come in for the striker.
    "This is Carlos Tevez we are talking about, one of the best players in the world. We are not overly worried," Joorabchian told BBC Sport.
    "He wants to leave but is still a City player at the moment and we will of course respect that.
    "We've just got to wait and see who comes in next for him."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 22-07-11

Park - offered new two-year contract.
    PARK OFFERED NEW MAN UNITED DEAL

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed Manchester United midfielder Park Ji-sung is considering a two-year contract offer from the Old Trafford outfit.
    The 30-year-old retired from international duty after last season's Asian Cup in an effort to prolong his club career.
    And the reward is a contract extension Ferguson expects the South Korean to sign.
    "We have offered him a new contract and I am sure he will sign it," said Ferguson.
    "His career at United has been nothing but excellent. He is a tremendous professional.
    "I am sure he will accept the new offer and tie himself down at the club for the next two years."
    Park's present contract is due to expire in 2012 but after releasing Owen Hargreaves, in addition to Paul Scholes' retirement, Ferguson views the former PSV Eindhoven player as an essential member of his squad, who is about to embark on his seventh season at United.
    The Korean says quitting the international game should benefit his club form.
    He said: "My fitness levels do get affected when I travel so much and play extra games.
    "Now I have finished playing for my country, I hope to get more rest, not suffer any injuries and enjoy the season.''
    Ferguson also confirmed he expects Darren Fletcher to be part of his squad again by the time United return to England on July 31.
    The Scotland skipper managed just two appearances in the final two months of the season after being struck down by a virus that caused dramatic weight loss.
    Fletcher was then omitted from Ferguson's squad for the present tour, amid claims he was instead remaining in England to do conditioning work.
    However, there were also reports that Fletcher had not started training again amid fears that the virus that proved so debilitating had returned.
    Happily though, Ferguson has revealed some good news about the combative midfielder.
    "Sometimes viruses do take time," confirmed the Red Devils chief.
    "Darren has been into Carrington over the last few days. He is doing a weight programme at the moment and hopefully by the time we get back, he will be joining us."
    Meanwhile, Ferguson has confirmed new keeper David de Gea will start Saturday's friendly with Chicago Fire at Soldier Field.
    The 20-year-old was a late arrival on tour after a successful European Under-21 Championship campaign in Spain.
    He has trained for three days now and Ferguson wants to see how he performs in a match environment, believing the 18million signing from Atletico Madrid may draw comparisons to Chelsea's Petr Cech.
    "David de Gea will start on Saturday,'' said Ferguson.
    "He has had a few days' training now and has done fine.
    "Being young and coming into the English game, the one area we are not sure about is that he may need time.
    "On the other hand, he might do what Petr Cech did at Chelsea and take it by storm. Cech came into the Chelsea team and has never been out of it.
    "David has similar qualities. He has terrific composure for a young man. He is quick. His use of the ball is excellent.
    "There are good ingredients there. Hopefully that shows itself as we get into the season.''
    United flew into Chicago fresh from their 7-0 thrashing of Seattle Sounders.
    However, they are going to encounter very different conditions now as temperatures topped 100 degrees Fahrenheit on their arrival.
    No reduction is forecast and with the game set for a 4pm kick-off local time this weekend, Ferguson admits he will have to adopt special measures.
    "We have left a cool atmosphere in Seattle and arrived in a furnace,'' he joked.
    "It is going to be a test. We prepare for things like this but we will probably reduce the length of our training sessions and make the appropriate changes.
    "I don't think it is forecast to get any cooler, so maybe I will watch the match in the hotel.''

Uploads

Beckham - former England captain.
    BECKHAM RULES OUT PREM RETURN

David Beckham has ruled out a return to the Premier League with any club other than Manchester United.
    The 36-year-old now-LA Galaxy man came close to a surprise loan move to Tottenham last season, but the deal failed to materialise.
    And Beckham, who is due to face United in a friendly next week as part of a MLS All Stars team next week, has admitted why the switch to White Hart Lane did not happen.
    The former England captain could not face the prospect of playing for any club other than United, where he won the famous Treble in 1999 among a host of other titles.
    Beckham said: "I have always said I have played for the biggest club in England and I wouldn't like to play against them (United).
    "I am 36 and still feel good and fresh but I can't see it happening.
    "The Tottenham thing didn't happen for a reason. I only want to be known as a Manchester United player and that's the way it will stay."

Uploads

Stockdale - close to finalising move.
    STOCKDALE SET FOR LOAN MOVE

Fulham boss Martin Jol has revealed David Stockdale is likely to go out on loan this season.
    Stockdale was a notable absentee from the squad for Thursday's Europa League qualifying win over Crusaders on Thursday night as he looks to sort out his future.
    Swansea and Leeds have both expressed an interest in signing Stockdale with Ipswich the latest club to join the chase for the England squad member.
    Premier League new boys Swansea have seen a bid rejected for Stockdale, while Leeds have lined up Stockdale as a replacement for Kasper Schmeichel.
    Ipswich are believed to be favourites for Stockdale's signature, with Fulham preferring to loan him out to a Championship club so that they can include a recall clause in his deal.
    Asked whether the Fulham number two was likely to head out on loan, Jol said: "Yes, he is close but of course there is a little issue with the recall.
    "We can't recall him if he is playing in the Premier League. Maybe there is a bit of space [for manoeuvre] but I don't want to talk about it.
    "[If we cannot insert a release clause], then we have to put him in the Championship. But there is a possibility he could go to the Premier League."

Uploads

Sanchez: set for Barca talks.
    BARCA AGREE SANCHEZ FEE

Barcelona have confirmed an agreement has been reached over the signing of Udinese forward Alexis Sanchez on a 26 million euro transfer.
    The Chile international will undergo a medical on Monday before putting pen to paper on a five-year contract.
    Sanchez, 22, has been heavily linked with the European Cup winners for the majority of the summer, but there was also interest from the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City.
    Barca coach Pep Guardiola has made no secret of his admiration of the pacey winger and has now finally got his man after negotiations between the two clubs.
    A statement on www.fcbarcelona.com said: "Udinese and FC Barcelona have reached a definitive agreement for the transfer of Alexis Sanchez.
    "The medical, signing of his contract for the next five years and presentation will take place on Monday."
    Sanchez spent three seasons in Udinese, and scored 12 goals in 31 appearances in Serie A last term to help the club finish fourth and qualify for the Champions League.
    He was also a member of the Chile squad which reached the quarter-finals of this summer's Copa America, where they were beaten by Venezuela.

Uploads

Adebayor - looks set to leave Manchester City.
    ADEBAYOR LOAN TARGET FOR TOTTENHAM

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has again spoken his interest in signing Emmanuel Adebayor - but only on loan.
    Adebayor has fallen down the pecking order at current club Manchester City and spent the second half of last season on loan at Spanish giants Real Madrid.
    Redknapp has previously confirmed his interest in landing the 27-year-old to bolster his firepower - but says any deal would not be a permanent transfer.
    He told Sky Sports News: "Adebayor is a name that's been thrown at me since I've been here but I think the club, we were looking maybe to loan him, that was as far as that one had gone.
    "So I don't see a permanent deal being in any shape or form for Adebayor, I think it was just we were looking to get him on loan for a season.
    "But where that's at, again the chairman (Daniel Levy) is dealing with that back home so I'm not sure.
    "And other than that we really, I couldn't give you any names because we haven't got too many.
    "It's difficult when you've got good players - we've got lots of good players - to improve on them, so finding players better than we've got is difficult."

Uploads

Cesc Fabregas - transfer saga continues.
    CESC FABREGAS MISSES GERMANY TRIP

Arsenal jetted off to Germany ahead of Saturday's friendly against Cologne and a training camp with the future of captain Cesc Fabregas still very much up in the air.
    Gunners boss Arsene Wenger confirmed his skipper was not part of the travelling squad, officially at least to remain behind to work on match fitness following a hamstring problem which also prevented him from heading out on the Asia tour earlier this month.
    Striker Nicklas Bendtner and goalkeeper Manuel Almunia were also absent amid reports of impending moves. However, new signing Gervinho did make the trip.
    A delegation from Barcelona, led by vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu, is said to have been in London determined to push through a deal to bring midfielder Fabregas back to the Nou Camp, although Arsenal remain steadfast in their 40million valuation.
    Wenger told the club's official website: "The position at the moment (with Fabregas) is a 'no comment' situation because there is no movement at all."
    Wenger has always spoken publicly of his desire to keep his captain, and also contract rebel Samir Nasri, who has yet to pen a new deal, sparking more speculation he could also leave in a 20million move to title rivals Manchester City.
    "(It is) not completely (sorted that Samir will stay), but I want him to stay. He knows that. Hopefully we can sort that out in the coming weeks," Wenger added.
    "Almunia has been contacted by a few clubs, Bendtner as well. As long as the situation is not settled, we have to focus on the coming season with the players we have.
    "The players who are uncertain, it is difficult for them to focus on being completely committed."
    After facing Cologne at the Rhein Energie Stadion, Arsenal will remain in Germany as they continue preparations for the Emirates Cup on July 30 and 31.
    Whether or not the current Gunners skipper will lead the team out against Boca Juniors remains to be seen.
    However, centre-back Johan Djourou maintains the players cannot let constant speculation cause them to lose focus.
    "We know that every summer, you are going to have a big story about players leaving and coming in," the Switzerland international said.
    "Of course we do not want our best players to leave, but if they have to go, they will go and I am sure the manager will replace who will go.
    "For us players, it is just about focusing on the team and being ready for the season."
    Djourou believes the trip to Asia has made them a tighter group.
    He said: "It brought the players closer together and that is good. The mood is great and you can see that."

Uploads

Charles N'Zogbia - linked with Aston Villa.
    WHELAN RESIGNED TO N'ZOGBIA EXIT

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan says Charles N'Zogbia has not travelled with the rest of the squad for a pre-season tour of Austria and claimed a number of clubs were attempting to prise the French winger away from the DW Stadium.
    The former Newcastle player has made no secret of his wish to leave Wigan and Whelan has admitted if a club offers 10million he will have to accept their bid.
    He told Sky Sports News: "(The team) have gone to Austria today but 'Zoggy' hasn't gone. He is a great lad to have around the club. If we do lose him, and we may well do, because he has expressed a desire to move on, we will miss him enormously. But he is a great asset for any football club who wants him.
    "I have always said for 10million he is an absolute snip, if Stewart Downing can change hands for 20million I don't know what Charles is worth. He is the fastest, most direct wide player in the Premier League and I have always asked for 10million and hopefully we will get it and he will move on and be happy."
    A bid from Aston Villa of less than 10million was rejected earlier in the week but Whelan admitted it was highly unlikely N'Zogbia would still be at Wigan when the summer transfer window closes.
    "He only has 12 months left on his contract," he added.
    "I would love to keep him, he is a great lad and a fantastic player, but everything being as it is we have to be sensible and if we get a decent offer, and Charles wants to go, as usual I will honour what the player wants and let him go," he said.
    "(Villa) are not the sole bidders, there are another couple of clubs who are desperate to sign him. It depends how much they can pay up front, because we have got to re-spend that 10million this season just to replace Charles."
    Whelan took a similar stance over reports linking former Hamilton midfielder James McCarthy with a move away from Wigan.
    He said: "He is a fantastic talent, a great lad who trains fantastically well. We are in talks with his agent starting on Monday or Tuesday next week.
    "We will lose James eventually and he will go on to one of the top teams in Europe. He has a lot to learn under (Wigan manager) Roberto (Martinez) here and another season or two seasons here under Roberto and you are going to get a great player," he said.

Uploads

Luka Modric - Chelsea transfer target.
    REDKNAPP WANTS MORE FOR MODRIC

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp says an offer of 35million would not be enough to sign Luka Modric.
    That is the figure Chelsea are reportedly set to offer Spurs for the Croatia international.
    They have already seen two bids knocked back, with 22million and 27million not enough to force Tottenham's hand.
    The Blues believe there will become a point, however, when Spurs relax their stance, especially as Modric has indicated that he is looking to move on.
    Another big-money approach is believed to be being readied, with Tottenham's resolve set to be tested once more.
    Redknapp, though, insists the club have no intention of selling and claims the numbers being talked about at the moment do not add up in his eyes.
    "If we were looking at selling, it wouldn't be my valuation," he told Sky Sports News when asked whether 35million would be enough to prise Modric from his grasp.
    "I think he is worth an awful lot more money than that.
    "But we are not looking to sell Luka. We need to keep our best players, so he is a player we want to keep if possible.
    "It's in the hands of the chairman of the football club (Daniel Levy), it's not my decision. I work with him as the coach, but the chairman says he is not for sale so we will have to wait and see. He is quite determined, if we can, to hang onto him.
    "It's a difficult situation. It's a difficult one for Luka and it's a difficult one for Tottenham."

Uploads

Pastore - linked with Chelsea and Man City.
    PALERMO WANT CASH FOR PASTORE

Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini insists his club will only accept cash offers for playmaker Javier Pastore.
    The Argentina international, valued at 50million euros, is set to leave the Serie A outfit this summer and is a reported target of Chelsea, Manchester City and Roma.
    "For Pastore's transfer we will not accept player-exchange deals," said Zamparini.
    "For me and for Pastore's agent, the only valid ones are cash offers.
    "On Tuesday we will look with Pastore's agent at the concrete offers we have.
    "I believe we are in the final stretch of his transfer."
    Pastore is under contract with Palermo until June 2015.
    The South American star joined Palermo in 2009 from Huracan for 19million euros and was the team's leading scorer in Serie A last season with 11 goals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast