Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 23-07-11

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 23-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 23-07-11

Didier Drogba - set for new deal.

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba expects to sign a new one-year contract extension that will tie him to Stamford Bridge until 2013.
    The Ivory Coast international, who joined the Blues from Marseille in 2004, revealed negotiations had begun on a new deal that would see him remain at the club until he is 35.
    "We've started talking and it's very interesting. Everybody knows what I feel about Chelsea and what I want," he said.
    "I will definitely be here next season. I said a few years ago that I will be here until the end of my contract, and I am here.
    "Now I need to keep playing well here and giving my best, like I always try to do. This will be my eighth season at this club and it means a lot for any striker to stay that long at Chelsea."
    For the first time in his Chelsea career Drogba admits he will not be assured of a first-team place this season.
    The 33-year-old is set to compete with 50million striker Fernando Torres for the starter's role with new boss Andre Villas-Boas seemingly set to employ a single striker in a 4-3-3 formation.
    With the likes of Nicolas Anelka and Daniel Sturridge, who impressed on loan at Bolton last term, also in the squad Drogba knows competition for the striker's role will be fierce.
    "Yes, I think we are [contending for one place]," added Drogba, who has been the Blues' most effective player in the lone-striker's role during his seven years in west London.
    "That's the manager's choice, but it's been like this for me for all my years at this club.
    "It was the same when Eidur Gudjohnsen was here, when [Andriy] Shevchenko was here, and all of the other times.
    "I'm 33, I'm the oldest player and, even if that feels strange, I'm not worried.
    "If I deserve to play then I will play. If I'm not good then I won't. It's good for the team to have some competition."

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 23-07-11

Roberto Mancini - wants more control.

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has admitted he is jealous of the control his cross-city rival Sir Alex Ferguson has at Old Trafford.
    Mancini revealed during his side's US tour that he would like to be given greater power in order to shape City into a team capable of challenging for the Barclays Premier League.
    It is an "English style" of management Mancini admits Ferguson has earned following his quarter-century of success at United, but the Italian believes City's ambitions to challenge their rivals would be boosted should he be trusted with similar authority.
    "It's important for the manager to have control over the players and the medical staff and the other situations - then it can improve," he said.
    "It is different from Italy and I prefer the English style. Here if the manager loses, he is sacked and for this I think the manager needs to take every decision.
    "If he makes a mistake, he pays for it.
    "I agree with Ferguson but he has been at United for a long time so, for him, it is easy.
    "For me, it's difficult because I have only been here for 18 months or so.
    "Maybe I need to have more control of the team and the other situations. For a manager that's very important.
    "Maybe if I win the Premier League this season it will be different."
    Mancini's desire for greater control has seen him at odds with City's chief executive Garry Cook, but he believes their difference of opinions has helped establish a stronger partnership.
    "Maybe we had a different way. Maybe because I think this way and Garry another way," he added.
    "But this is normal when you work with other people and now we have a good relationship.
    "We have all the same targets - we want to win and we work for this."
    The resolve of Mancini's understanding with his backroom team has already been tested this summer following the ongoing saga to sell wantaway striker Carlos Tevez.
    While the joint Golden Boot winner's departure is still not confirmed following the breakdown of a move to Corinthians this week, the Eastlands outfit have been busily working to secure his replacement with fellow Argentina international Sergio Aguero expected to sign soon.
    Mancini would like to complete any deals to confirm his squad for the new season as soon as possible, with the Italian searching for three new names before he believes they can challenge for the Premier League.
    "It's important we complete our team and can work together between now and the season," he said.
    "At the moment we are not ready to play for the title. But maybe in two weeks we will be ready.
    "I think we can get the players we want. I think in football anything can happen - football is strange for this.
    "But if we want to compete for all competitions we must have players - but we are working for this."

Fabregas - future uncertain.

Arsene Wenger admits Arsenal are no closer to resolving the future of Cesc Fabregas as the Gunners headed off to a training camp in Germany without their captain on board.
    Officially, Fabregas remained in London to work on match fitness following a hamstring problem which also prevented him from heading out on the Asia tour earlier this month.
    However, a delegation from Barcelona, led by vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu, is said to have been over this week determined to push through a deal to bring midfielder Fabregas back to the Nou Camp, although Arsenal remain steadfast in their 40million valuation.
    Wenger said: "The position at the moment is a 'no comment' situation because there is no movement at all."
    Striker Nicklas Bendtner and goalkeeper Manuel Almunia were also absent from the travelling group amid reports of impending moves. However, new signing Gervinho did make the trip and should make his debut against Cologne on Saturday night.
    Wenger has always spoken publicly of his desire to keep Fabregas, and also contract rebel Samir Nasri, who has yet to pen a new deal, sparking more speculation he could also leave in a 20million move to rivals Manchester City.
    "(It is) not completely (sorted that Samir will stay), but I want him to stay. He knows that. Hopefully we can sort that out in the coming weeks," Wenger added.
    "Almunia has been contacted by a few clubs, Bendtner as well. As long as the situation is not settled, we have to focus on the coming season with the players we have.
    "The players who are uncertain, it is difficult for them to focus on being completely committed."
    After facing Cologne at the Rhein Energie Stadion, Arsenal will remain in Germany as they continue preparations for the Emirates Cup on July 30 and 31.
    Wenger is expected to bring in more defensive cover before the end of the window, and could improve a 10million offer for Everton's England centre-half Phil Jagielka.
    For now, though, the Frenchman is happy enough with his squad's build-up.
    He said on the club's official website, "For me, it is the end of phase one of pre-season.
    "It is the end of phase one because we will work on fitness a lot in Germany and after that we will go to phase two with the Emirates Cup.
    "Cologne are a good side with some valuable players, like [Lukas] Podolski who plays for Germany.
    "There is always a good atmosphere in Cologne, they have a big stadium and it is a big football club."

Barry Ferguson - moves to Blackpool.

Barry Ferguson has completed a move to Blackpool from fellow npower Championship side Birmingham.
    The 33-year-old has joined the Seasiders on a two-year deal for an undisclosed fee.
    The former Scotland international, who had 12 months left on his Blues contract, told Blackpool's official website: "I'm delighted to be here and I'm raring to go.
    "As soon as I spoke to the manager my mind was made up.
    "I saw a lot of Blackpool last year and played against them as well and I was very impressed."

Ally McCoist - injury blow.

Rangers manager Ally McCoist is hoping to make more new signings over the next 48 hours.
    He has confirmed that Romanian international Dorian Goian, Anderlecht's Rolan Juhasz and Rabiu Afolabi of Salzburg are all on his radar.
    Lee Wallace was recruited from Hearts yesterday, following the capture of Juan Manuel Ortiz early this month, while Alejandro Bedoya will arrive in January after agreeing a pre-contract.
    McCoist said: "We have been very, very busy as you can imagine. I've been pursuing three or four targets so hopefully we will be up to speed on them in the next 24 to 48 hours.
    "I've been very busy in that department. We still need a bit of a helping hand but I don't think it will happen between now and kick off tomorrow.
    "Certainly the squad is needing strengthening."
    On Goian, he said: "He's a player we are interested in, definitely. We've had him watched and we would certainly be keen to take it further.
    "Juhasz is another player. There is nothing definite but they are players we have looked at.
    "We will be pursuing three or four over the next few days and these two might or might not be two of them."
    When asked about Afolabi, McCoist added: "He is another player we have looked at."
    McCoist also confirmed that his pursuit of Carlos Cuellar remains ongoing and further talks have been held with his agent.

Ally McCoist - pleased with backing.

Rangers manager Ally McCoist claims he has been "100 per cent" happy with the backing he has received from new owner Craig Whyte as he builds his squad for his first season at the helm.
    The Scottish champions have signed Lee Wallace for 1.5million from Hearts and secured United States international Alejandro Bedoya on a pre-contract agreement.
    Juan Manuel Ortiz was also recruited earlier this month but business has been slow in the transfer market, with McCoist missing out on a number of targets over the summer.
    He is still pursuing several players who remain on his radar and the new boss says he is more than content with the part the Rangers hierarchy has had to play so far.
    "100 per cent - absolutely," said McCoist.
    "I've been in constant dialogue with the new owner and the new management team and I know they are as keen as we are to bring fresh faces in and freshen up the squad."
    McCoist has confirmed his interest in defensive trio Rabiu Afolabi, Roland Juhasz and Dorin Goian, while continuing his pursuit of Carlos Cuellar after a fee was agreed with Aston Villa.
    The manager said: "Andrew Dickson (head of football administration) spoke to Carlos' agent either last night or this morning.
    "That's ticking along. That's not of immediate importance due to the fact that he can't play for a number of weeks with his injury anyway.
    "So, although it is important to us, it's not of immediate importance.
    "It's much the same. I am optimistic generally speaking and I just have to wait and see."
    Rangers failed with a bid for St Johnstone midfielder Murray Davidson on Thursday and McCoist has yet to determine whether the club will go back with an improved offer.
    He said: "I don't know to be honest. I haven't had a chance to sit down and speak to the owner at any great length so it would be wrong to give a comment on that at the moment."
    Looking ahead to his first competitive game in charge when Hearts come calling in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League tomorrow, McCoist said: "I'm looking forward to it and, more importantly, I know our players are looking forward to it and we will be ready for it tomorrow.
    "I will be extremely proud but that's got nothing to do with it. I've been here long enough as a player and as assistant manager to know that all that matters is the result."
    He will be following the lead of predecessor Walter Smith by spending at least some of the game in the directors' box, rather than his usual spot in the technical area.
    McCoist added: "I would think I will be watching the game from the stand tomorrow or parts of the game anyway.
    "My opinion is that it's the best place to watch the game, it gives you a far better position to watch the game.
    "In the dug-out, you are at pitch-level and you can't really see things over on the other side of the pitch. The higher up you are, in my opinion, the better the place is to watch the game."

Bojan - could make Roma move.

Barcelona have announced they have reached an agreement to sell Spanish striker Bojan Krkic to Roma for 12 million euros.
    The Serie A outfit had already reached personal terms with the 20-year-old last month.
    A statement from Barcelona read: "The cost of the operation is 12 million euros but includes a compulsory buy-out option to be exercised by Barcelona at the end of the 2012-13 campaign, at a cost of 13 million euros.
    "This buy-out option can be blocked by AS Roma but in that case, the total cost of the transfer would be 40 million euros."
    Bojan, who struggled to get regular first-team football at Barca, will hold a press conference in the Catalan city later today before travelling to the Italian capital.
    Roma will be coached next season by former Barcelona B manager Luis Enrique.

Oriol Romeu - set for Chelsea move.

Chelsea ramped up their summer recruitment drive today after they agreed a fee with Barcelona for the signing of Oriol Romeu.
    New manager Andre Villas-Boas decided his squad had been significantly weakened by the loss of the injured Michael Essien to warrant a reported 4.5million offer for the 19-year-old Romeu.
    The defensive midfielder is currently on international duty with Spain at the
    Under-20 World Cup and has yet to undergo a medical or agree personal terms.
    He made his first-team debut for Barcelona at the end of last season but head
    coach Pep Guardiola deemed him surplus to requirements.
    Romeu is set to become the second signing of the Villas-Boas era, with Belgian goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois having agreed to move from Genk.
    And that is unlikely to be the end of Chelsea's spending before the start of
    the season.
    They have seen two bids for Tottenham playmaker Luka Modric rejected this
    summer and are reportedly preparing a third and final offer in the region of
    They are also said to have made a bid of up to #18million for Anderlecht
    wonderkid Romelu Lukaku, while Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini on Saturday claimed the Blues were competing with Manchester City and Roma for the signature of Argentinian playmaker Javier Pastore.
    Zamparini, who values midfielder Pastore at #40million-plus, told Gazzetta
    dello Sport: "I cannot say who has the advantage between Chelsea, Manchester City or Roma. I can only underline that I'm interested in cash deals.
    "We are at the final stages and will evaluate the offers on Tuesday. When we
    see which the real proposals are, then we can go forward.''
    Any move for Pastore or a renewed bid for Modric would appear to have the
    blessing of Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay.
    He told the Blues' official Thailand supporters' club during a
    question-and-answer session in Bangkok yesterday: "From our activity in the
    marketplace in the past, if the coach feels there is a player available that can
    strengthen our team then we almost definitely go into the marketplace.''
    Like Romeu, Pastore would help fill the void left by Essien, who was recently
    ruled out for six months with a serious knee injury.
    Speaking at a press conference ahead of Chelsea's latest pre-season friendly against Thailand All Stars tomorrow, Villas-Boas said: ''It is a part of the squad in which we are struggling with numbers because of Michael Essien's injury and Oriol is a player with a bright future. He still has to evolve as a player.
    "The Barcelona B team had a magnificent year in the Spanish second division - they finished third.
    "Oriol had an injury during the season but he came back late on and was in
    time to play for the first team.
    "So he is one of the most promising young players in that position and
    hopefully we can agree personal terms and hopefully he will pass a medical.''
    Villas-Boas also revealed the decision to loan Courtois to Atletico Madrid once he completes his transfer had not been finalised.
    "The Spanish league is an extremely competitive league and Atletico is a great club to be at but it is not decided yet on his future,'' Villas-Boas said.
    "It is still a couple of days until we can confirm agreement between all three
    Chelsea are also hoping to tie Didier Drogba to a one-year contract extension, with the veteran striker having revealed he was hopeful of staying on beyond the end of his current deal, which expires next summer.
    Villas-Boas must decide on the futures of several other players, who have
    struggled to impress in the Blues' opening two official pre-season friendlies
    and will have another chance to do so on Sunday.
    Lukaku, 18, has been touted as a long-term replacement for Drogba.
    But Anderlecht general manager Herman Van Holsbeeck has claimed Chelsea's hopes of signing Lukaku were no better than "50-50''.
    He added in a news conference: ''If a club like Chelsea pays the target amount, he leaves.
    "We are looking to make clear agreements next week, but Lukaku from a sporting aspect is much more important that the financial picture.
    "And he is in no rush to leave - and if August 31 comes and he does not leave, then perhaps staying another year could be better.
    "But we do not want this to drag on, it's not a complicated matter - they know
    the asking price.''

N'Zogbia - Villa want the Frenchman.

Charles N'Zogbia has reiterated his determination to leave Wigan, but has denied that he has gone on strike in an attempt to force a move.
    The winger did not travel with his club on Friday for their pre-season trip to Austria amid ongoing interest from Aston Villa, who want a replacement for Stewart Downing.
    Villa have failed in a 9million bid for N'Zogbia and Wigan chairman Dave Whelan is refusing to budge from a 10m asking price.
    But N'Zogbia, a 2009 signing from Newcastle who has one year remaining on his contract, remains adamant that he wants out of the DW Stadium.
    The Frenchman is quoted as saying: "It has been two and a half years. I have given enough."
    He added: "If they want any more it is for the club to decide. It is not for me to demand a transfer.
    "Me, strike? Not at all. Come and see me at Wigan, you will see that I train every day.
    "There was an offer from Villa, which Wigan refused. I have not been offered a contract extension by the club."

Heinze - new arrival at Roma.

Roma have continued their summer recruitment with the signing of experienced Argentina defender Gabriel Heinze.
    The Italian club have agreed a one-year deal with the 33-year-old former Real Madrid and Manchester United player, who left Marseille at the end of last season after two years with the French club.
    Heinze said at his presentation today: "In previous years I have been fortunate to play at big clubs and now I again have an opportunity to play in another great squad like Roma, so I didn't waste much time in deciding to come.
    "It's a great honour to wear this shirt."
    Heinze joins the likes of Bojan Krkic, Jose Angel and coach Luis Enrique as new arrivals at Roma this summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast