Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 26-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 26-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 26-07-11

Sergio Batista - leaves Argentina job.
    BATISTA SACKED AS ARGENTINA BOSS

The Argentinian Football Association have terminated the contract of coach Sergio Batista.
    AFA spokesman Ernesto Cherquis Bialo announced the move in the wake of the team's disappointing campaign in the Copa America, at which they were hosts.
    Argentina were eliminated in quarter-finals by Uruguay, who went on to lift the trophy with a 3-0 win over Paraguay in Buenos Aires on Sunday evening.
    Cherquis Bialo told reporters: "The national teams committee has decided to rescind the contract that attached Mr Batista with the Argentinian Football Association.
    "In a very good natured, mature telephone conversation, Mr Batista and Mr Julio Grondona (the AFA president) talked and Batista left his situation in the hands of the AFA.
    "Batista is a man who does not need any explanation. He talked to the AFA president and allowed him to decide whatever he considers the right thing."
    As Argentina start the 2014 World Cup Qualifying campaign in October, the AFA hope to name Batista's successor within a week.
    "In the upcoming seven days, we hope we can reveal the name of the new coach," Cherquis Bialo said.
    "The candidates' names will be evaluated by the national teams committee."
    Argentina were scheduled to play a friendly against Romania next month, but Cherquis Bialo announced it has been cancelled.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 26-07-11

Jose Enrique: Linked with Liverpool and Arsenal
    PARDEW UNHAPPY WITH ENRIQUE RANT

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has admonished left-back Jose Enrique over his Twitter "mistake" - but insisted he wants the player to stay.
    The 25-year-old, who is entering the last year of his Magpies contract, used the microblogging site to criticise the club's transfer policy, which has seen stars including Andy Carroll and Kevin Nolan leave in recent times.
    "Jose was wrong to put those comments up and I told him," Pardew, who has offered the player a new contract, said in comments quoted in The Sun.
    "It's a good offer which we have given him and maybe the frustration of the situation got the better of him.
    "I want him to stay, he's a good lad but this didn't reflect well on him. It was a mistake, he knows it and so do I."
    Enrique has been linked with a possible move to Liverpool or Arsenal.
    He wrote on Twitter: "The club is allowing all the major players of the team to go. Seriously, do you think it is the fault of the players? Andy [Carroll], nobby [Kevin Nolan] etc etc. This club will never again fight to be among the top six again with this policy."

Uploads

N'Zogbia: Looks set for Villa move
    N'ZOGBIA SET FOR ASTON VILLA MOVE

Aston Villa hope to complete the signing of winger Charles N'Zogbia by the end of the week after agreeing a 9.5million fee with Wigan.
    N'Zogbia is now due to discuss personal terms with Villa and then undergo a medical.
    If all goes to plan, N'Zogbia will put pen to paper on a five-year contract and become new Villa boss Alex McLeish's second signing of the summer.
    McLeish will hope the deal is done and dusted by the time Villa return from their current tour of Hong Kong after the weekend.
    It means McLeish is finally set to sign N'Zogbia at the third attempt.
    The Scot looked to have landed the services of N'Zogbia 12 months ago when in charge at Birmingham only for the deal to collapse at the 11th hour over personal terms.
    Then McLeish's bid to sign the former Newcastle player earlier this summer was halted when Wigan rejected an initial 9m bid from Villa.
    Villa said in a statement: "The club are pleased to confirm that we have agreed a fee with Wigan for French international winger Charles N'Zogbia.
    "We will now discuss personal terms with the player and arrange a medical, with a view to completing the transfer later this week."
    McLeish has been keen to bring in a new wide player after the sale of Ashley Young and Stewart Downing to Manchester United and Liverpool respectively for total fees of around 36m.
    N'Zogbia fits the bill and his efforts during the tail end of last season played a major part in Wigan retaining their Barclays Premier League status, including scoring a last-gasp winner against West Ham.
    He will be reunited with his former Newcastle team-mate Shay Given, who last week became McLeish's first signing of the summer in a 3.5m move from Manchester City.
    But the Frenchman will have to wait to meet Villa's first-team squad as he does not have the required work visa to join up with the Hong Kong trip.
    He will instead work at Villa's Bodymoor Heath training complex if and when the deal is formally completed.
    McLeish is relishing the prospect of finally being able to work with N'Zogbia.
    The Scot said: "He is an exciting player and someone I've admired for quite a while.
    "I'm pleased we've managed to agree a fee and hope we can reach agreement with Charles as soon as possible."

Uploads

Kevin Doyle: Linked with Wolves exit
    McCARTHY BACKS DOYLE TO SHINE

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy insists striker Kevin Doyle will not be fazed by speculation linking him with a move away from Molineux.
    The Republic of Ireland international is a reported target for several Premier League clubs but McCarthy has dismissed talk of his exit and backed him to maintain the form which has seen him emerge as a key player for Wolves.
    "Kevin is old enough to realise that speculation counts for nothing," McCarthy said.
    "It makes for good reading in the summer when there is nothing else to write about.
    "But he continues doing his job and nothing fazes him.
    "He's a great character and been one of our top dogs for the past two years."
    McCarthy believes the Wolves players have a responsibility to ease the pressure on Doyle, who often operates as a lone striker.
    He said: "He plays up front on his own and, when he was out injured, you could see how much we missed him.
    "I don't see why he can't get better - if we get better and provide him with more chances and avoid him having to work so hard.
    "He holds the ball up brilliantly but if we keep the ball better ourselves and create him a few more chances, he'll score more goals."
    McCarthy admits he is anxiously awaiting news over the fitness of midfield duo Adlene Guedioura (ankle) and Dave Edwards (back).
    He said: "I'm happy with my squad but if I lose two midfield players, that would put a serious dent in it."

Uploads

Christopher Samba: No offers
    KEAN HOPING TO KEEP SAMBA

Steve Kean insists Blackburn have still not received any offers for key defender Christopher Samba.
    Samba's performances for Rovers last season reportedly attracted the attention of several Premier League rivals and there was expected to be a battle for his signature this summer.
    However, Kean maintains that nobody has yet stepped up their interest by lodging an official bid, and he is determined to keep hold of the 27-year-old.
    Kean is happy that Samba is committed to the Blackburn cause after signing a long-term deal in February, having initially expressed a desire to leave when Sam Allardyce was sacked as manager by owners Venky's before Christmas.
    Asked if there had been any offers for the player, Kean told Sky Sports News: "No.
    "We're trying to keep Chris and the fact that he's a couple of months into a new five-year contract shows we were showing commitment to Chris.
    "The owners backed the proposal that I put in front of them to say 'let's get Chris a new contract and show what we feel about Chris', and there have been no bids at all for Chris at this stage."

Uploads

Andre Villas-Boas: 'We are pretty happy'
    VILLAS-BOAS COOL ON TRANSFER TALK

New manager Andre Villas-Boas feels Chelsea don't need to flex their financial muscle in this summer's transfer market, insisting a sensible approach is the way to recapture the Barclays Premier League trophy.
    Champions Manchester United have already spent heavily as they prepare for the defence of their crown, as have Liverpool who are looking to return to the top four.
    Manchester City will likely again invest some of their considerable wealth for a renewed title bid but Chelsea have yet to make any big-name signings despite being heavily linked with Tottenham's Luka Modric.
    But with the start of the season just over two weeks away, Villas-Boas remains relaxed about the situation.
    "You have to take into account in six years the amount of trophies this club has won and the dramatic change this club has suffered in the last eight years, it was a dramatic change that brought success," he said.
    "It doesn't mean that we are not looking to strengthen the squad or to bring players in, it just means a different approach to the market. We have 15 more days before Stoke and 31 days before the market closes.
    "The players are not under assessment because they are successful on their own, it just means we need to evaluate the sectors that we might need strengthening and try to do it wisely and properly.
    "On that front we are pretty happy and in August I think we will take the decisions that we need to take for us to be ready for the first day of the season."

Uploads

Alberto Aquilani: Linked with Liverpool exit
    AGENT: NO AQUILANI DEAL YET

Alberto Aquilani's agent has stressed that an agreement has not yet been reached to take the Liverpool midfielder to Fiorentina.
    The Italian spent last season back in his homeland with a loan spell at Juventus, before returning to Anfield earlier in the summer.
    There appeared to be a chance that he could stay with Liverpool after some impressive pre-season displays earned the praise of owner John Henry.
    However, Fiorentina are still interested in signing the 27-year-old and some reports suggest a deal is close to being struck.
    Aquilani's representative, Franco Zavaglia, claims the clubs have reached an agreement but insists the player has not yet made up his mind.
    "The agreement between Fiorentina and Alberto has not yet been reached," Zavaglia told gazzetta.it.
    "If we talk about an agreement, that was only reached between the two clubs, because Fiorentina (have not) come to any decision with us."

Uploads

David Stockdale: Ipswich loan move
    STOCKDALE JOINS IPSWICH ON LOAN

Goalkeeper David Stockdale has signed a four-year contract extension with Fulham and joined npower Championship club Ipswich on a season-long loan.
    The 25-year-old, who started his career at York, joined the Cottagers from Darlington in 2008, and had loan stints with Rotherham, Leicester and Plymouth before making a good impression in the 2-2 draw against Manchester United in August 2010.
    Last season, Stockdale stood in for number one Mark Schwarzer on 10 occasions, and was called into the England squad for the first time, and will now be hoping for regular football at Portman Road.
    Stockdale is looking forward to life under manager Paul Jewell at Ipswich.
    He told Ipswich's official website: "I had a great talk with the gaffer here and Ipswich Town is a big club so I was eager to come here.
    "The manager told me about the quality of the signings he's made and where they're heading and everything he told me made me keen to join the club.
    "Now I'm just looking forward to getting going and playing my part in what I hope will be a successful season for Ipswich."

Uploads

Shane Long: West Ham transfer target
    REPORT: HAMMERS CONSIDER NEW LONG BID

West Ham are weighing up a second bid for Reading striker Shane Long, Press Association Sport understands.
    The Royals are believed to have turned down an initial offer, thought to total around 7million with add-ons, for the 24-year-old.
    Long is in demand this summer after hitting 25 goals last term.

West Ham will face competition with Reading having told him he can join a Barclays Premier League club, if the price is right, after they failed to gain promotion.
    Top-flight sides West Brom, Newcastle and Everton have been linked with moves for Long but Hammers boss Sam Allardyce is hoping to persuade the Republic of Ireland international to stay in the Championship for one more season to spearhead their promotion bid.
    West Ham's willingness to spend could also indicate some of their big earners may be on their way out, with Stoke reportedly keen to resurrect their move for Carlton Cole and Scott Parker still a target for Premier League clubs.

Uploads

Schweinsteiger: 'Held in high regard'
    BAYERN: SCHWEINSTEIGER NOT FOR SALE

Bayern Munich manager Jupp Heynckes has no intention of allowing Bastian Schweinsteiger to leave the club.
    Several top sides from across Europe have been heavily linked with the Germany international of late.
    Premier League giants Manchester United are reported to be among those tracking the midfielder, as they search for a suitable replacement for the retired Paul Scholes.
    Bayern, though, insist Schweinsteiger is not for sale, with the 26-year-old academy product a key figure in the club's past, present and future.
    Heynckes said: "Bastian Schweinsteiger is held in high regard at this club.
    "A year ago he was playing on the same level as players such as Xavi and Andres Iniesta.
    "He is not for sale."
    Meanwhile, Heynckes has expressed his disappointment at missing out on Juventus-bound Arturo Vidal, a man he worked with at former employers Bayer Leverkusen.
    He said: "I am absolutely disappointed because Arturo told me he wanted to join me at Bayern Munich.
    "I am, however, understanding of his situation and his desire to take on the challenge that is ahead of him at Juventus. They are a top club in Europe."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast