Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 27-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 27-07-11

Dimitar Berbatov: Fighting on at Old Trafford
    BERBATOV DOESN'T WANT STEP DOWN

Dimitar Berbatov has claimed that moving away from Manchester United would be a step down.
    Even Sir Alex Ferguson has admitted he would not have been surprised if Berbatov had wanted to leave United after not even making the bench for their Champions League final loss to Barcelona.
    Instead, the 30-year-old has swallowed his pride and embarked on the Red Devils' current five-match tour of the United States, eager to prove he is worthy of a place in Ferguson's plans.
    The reason is simple. Apart from Barcelona, the Bulgarian would regard any move as a negative.
    "Smaller clubs might be able to match Manchester United with the way they play, with their organisation, everything. But Manchester United are at the top," he said.
    "Where can you go from there? Maybe Barcelona. At the moment, I don't see anything else. If you go somewhere it is a big step down.
    "For me, I always went up, up, up in my career. I am happy."
    In a wide ranging interview, Berbatov said he felt misunderstood due to his laid-back approach. Not that he intends to change.
    "I always play like this," he said. "That is what got me here.
    "You are not going to see me puffing around the pitch. There is a saying in Bulgaria that great quality doesn't require much effort."
    Sometimes it must be hard to retain self-belief though, especially after Ferguson's decision to select Javier Hernandez from the start against Barcelona, and have Michael Owen on the bench as his back-up striker rather than him.
    Berbatov accepts he has something to prove ahead of the new campaign.
    However, that has nothing to do with the fate that befell him at Wembley.
    He insists he has the same feelings at the start of every season.
    "This thinking keeps me motivated and concentrated," he said.
    "I do not allow myself to be satisfied with what I have already achieved.
    "Next season I will have new goals to score as many as possible, probably more than last season, win everything there is to win.
    "I look at Ryan Giggs. He has so many titles. In the time I have at Manchester United, if I win as many as possible, it would be good for me."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 27-07-11

Cesc Fabregas: Heavily linked with Barcelona
    DENILSON THINKS FABREGAS WILL STAY

On-loan Arsenal midfielder Denilson is confident Gunners captain Cesc Fabregas will remain at the Emirates Stadium.
    Speculation is rife over where Spain midfielder Fabregas will be playing his football in the new season, with Barcelona consistently linked with him.
    Barca are desperate to take the 24-year-old back to the Nou Camp but are yet to meet Arsenal's valuation, reported to be 40million.
    But Denilson, who is spending this season on loan at Sao Paulo, believes Fabregas will still be a Gunners player when the new campaign starts.
    He told Sky Sports News: "I think it's very important because the fans, the staff at Arsenal, everyone loves Cesc and I think he's going to stay."
    Denilson, who joined Arsenal in 2006 from Sao Paulo, requested a loan return to the club this season in order to be near to his three-year old daughter.
    But the 23-year-old admits he already misses Arsenal and hopes to be back in the squad this time next year.
    "I miss London, I miss Arsenal," he added. "I lived there for five years, it's a long time for me. But I think next season I'll be back."
    The midfielder feels much of Arsenal's appeal is down to Arsene Wenger.
    The Frenchman has come under fire after the Gunners failed to end their six-year trophy drought last season, but Denilson has jumped to his defence.
    "Everyone knows Arsene Wenger is a top man and a top manager," he said.
    "He's not just a coach, he's like a dad. It's brilliant for me and for the players because he's helped the players."
    Wenger has also attracted criticism for his lack of business in the transfer market in recent years, but Denilson insists Arsenal do not need to emulate the big-spending ways of their top-four rivals to contend for silverware.
    "If you see Manchester (United), Chelsea buying many players, Manchester City as well, they pay much money for the players but Arsenal don't need that," he said.
    "This season I'm sure 100 per cent they can win the trophies."

Uploads

Owen Hargreaves: Not close to West Brom move
    BAGGIES NOT FOCUSED ON HARGREAVES

West Brom assistant manager Michael Appleton says the club are focusing on other transfer targets before looking at a deal for Owen Hargreaves.
    The former Manchester United midfielder has been linked with a switch to The Hawthorns this summer but Appleton doesn't believe talks have taken place with the 30-year-old.
    Appleton did confirm the Baggies would consider moving for the former Bayern Munich man - whose spell at Old Trafford was plagued by injuries - if he's fit for Premier League action.
    Wen asked if there have been any discussions between West Brom and Hargreaves, he told Sportinglife.com: "Not that I'm aware of.
    "In terms of Owen Hargreaves I think there will be a lot of clubs who are interested in him if he's fit or anywhere near fit to play football.
    "I'm sure we will probably be one of the clubs interested if that's the situation but from our point of view we have a couple of key players we want to get in the building before we worry about Owen Hargreaves."

Uploads

Anderson: Ready to step up
    ANDERSON OUT TO FILL SCHOLES VOID

Anderson believes Manchester United have enough quality in their squad to cope without the retired Paul Scholes.
    Red Devils boss Sir Alex Ferguson is believed to be keen on bringing in a new playmaker to help fill the void left by Scholes' departure.
    The likes of Wesley Sneijder, Samir Nasri and Luka Modric have all been linked with big-money moves to Old Trafford, but as yet Ferguson has not brought in a replacement for Scholes.
    Anderson for one is hoping to step up to the mark to show Scholes can be replaced in United starting XI.
    "Scholes was amazing, a legend, but it means more opportunity, more space for me," Anderson told Sky Sports News.
    "Scholes was one player where I learn a lot, he was unbelievable and for me the best midfielder in the world.
    "I think Scholes was very important for the team as he had amazing quality, but I think everyone together can take his position."

Uploads

David Gill: Won't rule out more spending
    GILL WON'T RULE OUT ANOTHER SIGNING

Manchester United chief executive David Gill has left open the possibility the Premier League champions could make one last foray into the transfer market this season.
    Sir Alex Ferguson has been adopting a downbeat attitude to bringing in a replacement for Paul Scholes throughout the Red Devils' three-week tour of the United States.
    With Luka Modric seemingly bound for Chelsea if he leaves Tottenham and Samir Nasri earmarked for a move to Manchester City should Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger's attempts to keep hold of the Frenchman fail, only Wesley Sneijder appears attainable from the three players most regularly mentioned as potential recruits.
    However, the overall cost of getting Sneijder from Inter Milan has so far proved prohibitive.
    Gill says there are no discussions currently ongoing, as Ferguson has repeatedly stated.
    But it has always been assumed Ferguson would make another move at some stage and Gill has hinted that could well be the case.
    "We are looking at one more player to bring in," Gill told MUTV.
    "Nothing is happening and nothing is imminent but we will see what happens when we get home.
    "There will still be 31 days of the transfer window to see if anything develops.
    "The important point to understand, and Alex has made clear, is that we need someone who is going to improve the quality of the squad.
    "We have a great squad and to get into that squad you need to be a world class player.
    "If you can't get the players you want, there is no point buying someone for the sake of it.
    "But you never know. There is often movement in August.
    "I am not saying I am working on anything specific because I'm not. But that situation could change quickly when we get back to Carrington."

Uploads

Pannu: Warning of 'unpopular decisions'

Birmingham acting chairman Peter Pannu has admitted he may have to make some "unpopular decisions".
    The club's finances have been in doubt since owner Carson Yeung was arrested in Hong Kong last month and charged with five counts of money laundering.
    Yeung, who denies the charges, has seen his assets frozen and shares in the club's holding company have been suspended.
    Pannu told the Daily Mirror: "Upon my return I may have to make some unpopular decisions and I hope the fans will understand that I effectively don't have a choice.
    "The club may need to do what is right and to buy time until Carson's assets are dislodged from the clutches of the courts in Hong Kong."
    Pannu is hopeful Birmingham International Holdings Limited will soon be able to meet the demands of its bankers, HSBC, and that trading in shares would resume, but could not offer guarantees of how the club would continue to fund itself in the meantime.
    "An update to the fans is long overdue and it is just fair they hear the latest developments from me now," added Pannu.
    "But I am not aware of their plans as to how they propose to fulfil the financial distress posed by the relegation scenario and the freezing of Carson's assets in Hong Kong.
    "Carson had been trying hard to find new investors but the money laundering charges understandably meant that the progress had been slow. "

Uploads

Chris O'Grady: Rochdale exit talk rejected
    EYRE REJECTS O'GRADY TRANSFER TALK

Rochdale boss Steve Eyre says the club haven't "even thought" about allowing striker Chris O'Grady to leave Spotland.
    The former Leicester forward has been linked with Burnley and Sheffield Wednesday during the summer transfer window but Eyre isn't allowing the rumours to bother him as he gets ready for the new season.
    "We've not even thought about him going elsewhere," he told Sportinglife.com after the 3-0 pre-season win over West Brom on Tuesday night.
    "The fact that he's a good person and he's a good athlete on top of the fact that's he's a good footballer means there's always going to be speculation.
    "We love him here, the fans love him here and I think he appreciates what we're trying to do.
    "He's good as gold and he's a big part of what me and Frankie Bunn are trying to set up here."

Uploads

Matt Duke: On trial at Rochdale
    DUKE BOOSTS BID FOR ROCHDALE DEAL

Manager Steve Eyre says trialist goalkeeper Matt Duke did his chances of earning a permanent contract with Rochdale "no harm at all" with a clean sheet in the 3-0 pre-season victory over West Brom.
    The former Hull shot-stopper is looking to secure a move to Spotland after leaving the KC Stadium at the end of last season and Eyre says a decision on his future is drawing nearer.
    "It's getting closer and he's done his chances no harm at all," Eyre told Sportinglife.com.
    "He's a good goalkeeper and we are delighted he was in goal."
    Midfielders Jason Jarrett and Paul Marshall are also on trial at Rochdale but Eyre says he will still take his time as he scours the transfer market for astute acquisitions.
    He added: "They're are still players out there and I'm not going to rush into anything knowing the next day there might be something better for this football club.
    "They'll have to be a time where we'll all have to be decisive and make a decision but I'm not sure that's just yet."

Uploads

Sergio Aguero signs at the Bridgewater Hospital.
    AGUERO CLOSING ON MAN CITY MOVE

Argentina striker Sergio Aguero is edging closer to becoming Manchester City's record signing after arriving in the north west.
    The 23-year-old flew in from his homeland to Heathrow and then north to Manchester Airport before heading to the Bridgewater Hospital for his medical.
    It is not anticipated Aguero's personal terms - reported to be a five-year contract worth about 200,000 a week - will be a stumbling block for cash-rich City who are backed by the wealth of Sheikh Mansour, a member of Abu Dhabi's ruling family.
    City's previous record transfer was Robinho, who arrived from Real Madrid for 32.5million as the new owners made him their marquee signing to signal their intent just days after taking over in August 2008.
    The Aguero deal is believed to be closer to 38million, the value of the buy-out clause inserted in the new contract he signed with Atletico Madrid in January.
    "Just arrived in Manchester to finalise the details of signing with City," Aguero wrote on Twitter.
    "Everything is going very well! I'll tell you more in a while."
    With City striker Carlos Tevez adamant he wants to leave to be nearer his wife and two daughters in Argentina Aguero is seen as the ideal replacement.
    Younger than his compatriot by four years, the Atletico star has been a prolific goalscorer in La Liga and that is why he became one of the most sought-after strikers in Europe.
    Atletico had resigned themselves to the fact they would lose their prized asset when he announced in May, before he departed to play for Argentina in the Copa America, that he wanted to leave.
    Aguero's preference was to remain in Spain, with city rivals Real seemingly the most likely destination, but Atletico were keen to resist such a move.
    So an offer from Manchester City, although Italian club Juventus were also interested, represented a better option for the Madrid side.
    Atletico coach Gregorio Manzano admitted on Tuesday night that Aguero's departure looked imminent.
    "It seems as though in the coming hours we will have a final outcome to the issue that has has occupied us for so long," he told Spanish radio station Cope.
    "It is already in it's final stretch, I've asked the players to focus on Thursday's game (a Europa League tie against Stromsgodset).
    "Unfortunately we won't be able to call on Kun (Aguero)."
    Sergio Aguero Factfile
    1988: June 2 - Born in Quilmes, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    1997: Joins the Independiente youth set-up aged nine.
    2003: July - Becomes the youngest player to debut in the Argentinian first division at 15 years and 35 days, breaking the record previously established by Diego Maradona in 1976.
    2004: November - Scores his first goal for the club in a 2-2 draw against rivals Estudiantes de la Plata.
    2005: Called up to the Argentina squad for the FIFA World Youth Championships, which they win.
    2006: May - Signs for Spanish club Atletico Madrid for a reported fee of 23million euros - breaking the club's previous transfer record.
    2006: September - Makes senior debut for Argentina in a friendly against Brazil at the Emirates Stadium.
    October - Causes controversy by using his hands to score the winning goal against Recreativo Huelva.
    2007: Wins the Golden Boot at the Under-20 World Cup in Canada, scoring six goals in seven games, and the Golden Ball as the best player of the tournament.
    2007-08 - Finishes as the third highest goal scorer in the Primera Division behind Dani Guiza and Luis Fabiano, with 19 goals.
    2008: Member of the gold medal-winning Argentina squad for the 2008 Beijing Olympics where he scores two goals in five minutes in the semi-final win over Brazil.
    2008-09: Scores vital goals against Real Madrid, Valencia, Sevilla and Villarreal to help Atletico finish fourth and qualify for the Champions League for the first time in over 10 years.
    November - Atletico eliminated from Champions League, slipping into Europa League.
    2010: May 12 - Sets up both goals for Diego Forlan in 2-1 Europa League final victory over Fulham in Hamburg.
    May 19 - Atletico finish runners-up in Copa del Rey, losing final 2-0 to Sevilla at the Nou Camp.
    June - Makes senior World Cup debut in Argentina's second group match against South Korea, replacing Carlos Tevez in the 75th minute.
    August - Assists Jose Antonio Reyes' opening goal and scores the second goal as Atletico win the UEFA Super Cup, beating favourites Inter Milan 2-0.
    2011: January - Signs a new contract with Atletico, committing him to the club until 2014. Named as the new vice-captain, along with strike partner Forlan.
    May - Announces on his official website that he wants to leave Atletico.
    July 27 - Confirms on his Twitter account that he has arrived in Manchester to finalise his move to Manchester City.

Uploads

Hulk: Reportedly the subject of an 80m euros bid
    PORTO REJECTED 70m HULK BID - AGENT

Porto have rejected a staggering 80million euros (70.6m) bid for Brazilian striker Hulk from an undisclosed club, according to his agent.
    Several European giants are thought to be in the market for the 24-year-old, with Manchester City, Chelsea and AC Milan among the teams to be linked.
    However Hulk, who signed a five-year extension on his deal with treble-winning Porto in May, has a 100million euro (89.5m) release clause.
    The player has continually stressed his intention to remain at the Estadio do Dragao and his agent, Teodoro Fonseca, claims Porto snubbed the 80m euros offer without leaving room for any negotiation.
    "I would be lying if I said no proposals have emerged to sign Hulk," Fonseca told Portuguese newspaper Record.
    "I think the highest bid was 80million, but Porto did not even want to negotiate."
    Fonseca refused to be drawn on which club had tried to lure Hulk away.
    He added: "I cannot reveal that. But it is not hard to see because there are only three or four clubs who are able to present those kind of numbers for a player."
    The appointment of former Porto boss Andre Villas-Boas as manager at Chelsea has fuelled speculation that Hulk is poised for a move to Stamford Bridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast