Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 28-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 28-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 28-07-11

Aguero: Delighted to be joining Man City
    SERGIO AGUERO WELCOMES CITY SWITCH

Argentina striker Sergio Aguero has already declared himself a Manchester City player as the club prepare to make the deal official today.
    The 23-year-old, who posed for photographs and signed autographs outside the Etihad Stadium yesterday, is set to sign a reported five-year contract worth 200,000 a week to finalise his move from Atletico Madrid.
    After a day of talks at the Etihad Stadium, Aguero retreated to a city centre hotel and then announced on Twitter that the deal was done.
    "I'm already a City player. Happy to be in this club and this city. Thank you all for the welcome and the reception!" he wrote, although minor details of the deal were still to be completed.
    His transfer is believed to be costing City in the region of 35million, which was the amount of the buy-out clause written into the contract he only signed with the Spanish side in January.
    Yesterday Aguero, the son-in-law of Argentina icon Diego Maradona, appeared to take everything in his stride after flying in from Buenos Aires via Heathrow.
    After touching down in the north-west, Aguero wrote on Twitter: "Just arrived in Manchester to finalise the details of signing with City.
    "Everything is going very well! I'll tell you more in a while."
    Aguero had a medical at a private Manchester hospital and briefly stopped off at the Etihad Stadium before going out again for lunch and returning in the early evening for further discussion.
    City's previous record buy was Robinho, who arrived from Real Madrid for 32.5million as new owner Sheikh Mansour, a member of Abu Dhabi's ruling family, made a marquee signing to signal his intent just days after taking over in August 2008.
    The cost of signing Aguero will not be a stumbling block for City, who have spent millions revamping their squad and the area around the stadium with much grander plans to come.
    With City striker Carlos Tevez adamant he wants to leave to be nearer his wife and two daughters in Argentina, Aguero is seen as the ideal replacement.
    Younger than his compatriot by four years, the Atletico star has been a prolific goalscorer in Spain's Primera Division and that is why he became one of the most sought-after strikers in Europe.
    Atletico had resigned themselves to the fact they would lose their prized asset when he announced in May, before departing to play for Argentina in the Copa America, that he wanted to leave.
    Aguero's preference was to remain in Spain, with city rivals Real seemingly the most likely destination, but Atletico were keen to resist such a move.
    The offer from City represented a better option for the Madrid side, although Italian club Juventus were also interested.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 28-07-11

Samba: Blackburn defender
    SAMBA ANGRY AT ARSENAL RUMOURS

Blackburn defender Christopher Samba has furiously dismissed quotes which implied that he was seeking a move to Arsenal in order to play in the UEFA Champions League.
    The centre-back has long been linked with a transfer to Emirates Stadium, but he signed a long-term contract extension at Ewood Park in February.
    Samba, though, was quoted as saying that it would be a 'big lie' if he said he was not tempted by the opportunity to join a club who play in the UEFA Champions League.
    The Sun credited the 27-year-old as saying: "A player who has no ambition to play at a higher level has made a mistake and chosen the wrong sport.
    "I don't know what is happening with Arsenal because I am not dealing with it and it's not my problem.
    "At the minute I am still at Blackburn but it would be a big lie if I told you 'everything is good and I don't want to play in the Champions League'.
    "I don't know what the board and the manager at Blackburn are planning or what provisions they have made for signing new players.
    "It is difficult for me at the moment because I'm just waiting to see what happens and concentrating on my preparation for the new season."
    But the angry Blackburn captain has denied making any such statement and insists the quotes and incorrect.
    Samba wrote on his personal Twitter account: "The declarations about me are totally false - never said that.
    "I'm a Rovers player and will never mention other clubs - it's disrespectful. Not happy right now."

Uploads

Sneijder: Linked with United
    INTER - NO UNITED SNEIJDER BID

Inter Milan insist Manchester United have not made contact with them over Wesley Sneijder, but admitted that every player has his price.
    The Dutchman has constantly being linked with the Old Trafford club despite Sir Alex Ferguson saying firstly he would not move for Sneijder, and then that any replacement for Paul Scholes would come from within his own squad.
    But the speculation was rekindled this week as United chief executive David Gill revealed that club did want another player.
    Also strongly linked with Roma's Mirko Vucinic in recent days, Sneijder remains the man catching the headlines when it comes to United.
    Speaking to Sky Sport Italia following the announcement of the Serie A fixtures for next season, Inter chief executive Ernesto Paolillo was quizzed about Sneijder's situation.
    "Are Manchester United still after Sneijder? We haven't seen or heard from anyone; that's a story I've heard from you," he said.
    "Is Wesley definitely not for sale? I don't think there's anything that can't be sold, it all depends on the price.
    "You never say no if a big opportunity comes your way, but it does have to be a real opportunity."
    He was also asked about Carlos Tevez, after their sporting director Marco Branca was pictured shaking hands with the Argentine.
    "We can't stop him from coming to Milan or going to the same beaches as Branca, but we're not going there looking for him," he insisted.

Uploads

Foster: Closing in on West Brom move
    FOSTER SET FOR BAGGIES SWITCH

Ben Foster is set to end West Brom's search for a goalkeeper by moving from Birmingham to the Hawthorns.
    The Baggies are closing in on the signature of the former Manchester United player, who is set to initially move on loan with a view to the transfer becoming permanent next summer.
    Albion head coach Roy Hodgson has been searching for a new number one keeper since Scott Carson signed for Turkish side Bursaspor last month.
    He has been linked with West Ham's Robert Green but Foster was always amongst his leading targets.
    The 28-year-old experienced had an outstanding first campaign at St Andrew's after a 6million move from Old Trafford.
    He helped Blues to win the Carling Cup - their first trophy for nearly 50 years - but was powerless to stop them from being relegated from the Barclays Premier League.
    Foster has made it clear he would prefer to remain in the midlands and a switch to Albion would fit the bill and maintain his desire to stay in the Premier League.
    It is understood that cash-strapped Birmingham are keen to offload Foster's salary from their wage bill.
    Hodgson also remains keen on signing Reading striker Shane Long to provide support for last season's 15-goal leading scorer Peter Odemwingie. But he faces competition from West Ham for the Republic of Ireland international.

Uploads

Reo-Coker: Signs for Bolton
    BOLTON SNAP UP NIGEL REO-COKER

Bolton have completed the signing of midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker.
    The 27-year-old has been a free agent since his contract with Barclays Premier League rivals Aston Villa expired.
    Reo-Coker has agreed a two-year contract with the Reebok Stadium club.
    Reo-Coker told Bolton's official website, www.bwfc.co.uk: "I spoke with the gaffer and he outlined his plans and how he wants the club to progress.
    "I want to be part of that and I'm looking forward to meeting up with the lads and getting to work."
    Bolton boss Owen Coyle said: "We're delighted to have signed Nigel.
    "He's got the quality, drive and desire to compete at the highest level in the Barclays Premier League and I'm delighted that we have been able to bring him to the club."
    Croydon-born Reo-Coker, who joined Villa for 8.5million from West Ham in 2007, started his career with Wimbledon.
    He was named captain by Gerard Houllier in the absence through injury of Stiliyan Petrov - and becomes Bolton's second signing of the summer, former Swansea midfielder Darren Pratley being the other.

Uploads

Adam Le Fondre: Linked with Coventry
    TIME TO 'PUT UP OR SHUT UP' IN ALF CHASE

Rotherham manager Andy Scott says clubs looking to sign Adam Le Fondre should "put up or shut up".
    The forward has been linked with a move away from the League Two outfit over the summer but Scott insists the rumours are only being created by people who want to be "mischief mongers".
    The Millers chief also confirmed no bid had been received for the former Stockport man during the past week after newspaper reports suggested Coventry made an offer for the 24-year-old.
    Scott insists all the speculation over Le Fondre's future is coming from outside the Don Valley Stadium and he is unhappy with rival managers who have been talking about his players.
    "There's no talk from inside the club," he told Sportinglife.com after the 2-0 pre-season defeat against Scunthorpe on Wednesday night.
    "It's from people outside the club who have got nothing to do with Rotherham United.
    "I don't talk about anyone else's players so I don't see why managers should talk about my players.
    "I'm not talking about Adam Le Fondre going anywhere else.
    "There's no speculation as far as I'm concerned. It's all generated by other people who want to be mischief mongers.
    "I'm not prepared to deal with those people so they should put up or shut up."

Uploads

Lampard: Prefers an attacking role
    LAMPARD - I WON'T HANG AROUND

Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard does not plan to outstay his welcome at the top of the Premier League when he realises he can no longer meet his own high standards.
    The England international was in excellent form in Wednesday's 4-0 victory over Kitchee in the pre-season Asia Trophy and scored a penalty to earn praise from new boss Andre Villas-Boas.
    But, at 33 years of age, Lampard knows his time is running out, especially after a frustrating 2010/11 campaign in which injuries restricted him to just 10 Premier League goals.
    The former West Ham man had scored 22 goals in the previous top-flight season and, although he feels strong, he is honest enough to admit he will retire when he cannot produce the goods.
    "Pre-season is always been about getting yourself fresh and I really feel I'm getting there," said Lampard. "If I didn't feel I was getting there I wouldn't want to hang around too long.
    "I love getting into the box, getting up and down the pitch. I know I can do it now and, hopefully, I can do it for a few more years. But I know that day will come - although I'll probably be sold before then!
    "I do have to look after myself. There are plenty of things I do in the gym, I am with the masseuses occasionally.
    "You look at people who hang around in their 30s and they have to be disciplined about what they do."
    He added: "Last season was a stand-out season for me. I have been lucky enough to have gone through season after season without picking up injuries.
    "That actually hit me harder - because I had been so lucky. Now I have been away, freshened up and, touch wood, I haven't felt my groin at all.
    "It is much harder when you aren't used to being injured. The frustration is there from the start.
    Lampard is also happy to play any role in Villas-Boas' plans, as long as he is not forced to drop his attacking instincts.
    He said: "I don't mind where I play. I have actually played there (a deeper role) for England fairly regularly.
    "But I do like to get forward and this won't be a role that will stop me getting into the box. As long as I am never told not to stray beyond the halfway line, I'll be happy."

Uploads

Welbeck: Wants to stay at United
    WELBECK TO FIGHT FOR UNITED SPOT

Danny Welbeck is not thinking about going out on loan this season and is hoping to take inspiration from Javier Hernandez as he looks to establish himself at Manchester United.
    England international Welbeck spent last season on loan at Sunderland as Sir Alex Ferguson looked for him to get regular first-team action under his belt.
    Welbeck, who scored in Thursday's 4-0 pre-season win over MLS All-Stars, is ready to fight for his place in Ferguson's plans this season despite seven strikers being on the books at Old Trafford and he hopes to follow the lead of Hernandez who came into the side midway through last season to become a regular in the starting XI.
    "My main aim is to get games with United now," said Welbeck
    "What Javier did shows you that if you're in form, the manager plays you - and he is always going to give youth a chance as well.
    "Javier was not starting most of the games at the start of the season but he was in the side later and was on top form.
    "We have got good competition among the strikers at United so you have just got to go out there and show what you can do.
    "I think I can break through if I get my opportunity and I'm going to give it the best shot I can."
    Welbeck enjoyed his loan spell at Sunderland last term and he feels the stint on Wearside has improved him as a player.
    "It was the best thing for me to go on loan and get minutes under my belt," added Welbeck.
    "I went there and showed people what I can do by scoring goals in the Premier League and I have come back to United a bigger and better person.
    "Also, Fabio Capello took note, so I was delighted with that.
    "When you are playing for the best team in the world, there are no limits and you can go as far as you want.
    "The manager was pleased with what I did last season and he is looking forward to what I can do this season."

Uploads

Johnson: Joins Leicester on loan
    MICHAEL JOHNSON PENS FOXES DEAL

Michael Johnson has signed for Leicester City on a season-long loan deal from Manchester City, the Barclays Premier League club have confirmed.
    The 23-year-old midfielder will be reunited with manager Sven-Goran Eriksson, for whom he enjoyed his best spell at City before three years of injury nightmares.
    Johnson, an England under-21 international, has made 45 first-team appearances for City, but only two since he suffered an abdominal injury in 2008 as he has struggled to get back to full fitness, enduring a series of setbacks.

Uploads

Cahill: Attracting interest but no bids
    COYLE - NO GARY CAHILL OFFERS

Owen Coyle has urged Gary Cahill to stay focused on performing well for Bolton after revealing there have still been no bids for the defender.
    Cahill is regarded as one of the finest young centre-backs in English football after some superb performances for the Trotters in recent years.
    A number of big clubs were linked with a move for the 25-year-old this summer and Coyle acknowledges there is a lot of interest.
    However, the manager is still waiting to receive an official offer and until somebody comes in with an acceptable proposal he will continue to count his blessings that he has such a talented player at his disposal.
    Coyle has previously insisted he will not stand in Cahill's way if he has the opportunity to join one of the league's heavyweights, although he wants a fair deal for Bolton and is thought to be demanding at least 20million.
    "I think it is well known the belief I have in Gary Cahill, the quality he has, but that's the nature of football," Coyle told Sky Sports News after Cahill scored Bolton's second goal in a 2-0 pre-season victory over Bury on Wednesday night.
    "It only takes a phone call for it to all change but I have said to him he is a Bolton Wanderers player, he is well paid by Bolton Wanderers and he has to make sure he is focused to do the job in hand until something was to change.
    "He is such an outstanding player that we are very fortunate to have him.
    "I know there is interest from other clubs, nothing concrete in terms of offers, but all these elite clubs know he is an outstanding player so we will have to wait and see what happens with that."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast