Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 29-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 29-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 29-07-11

Shay Given: Aston Villa switch
    GIVEN EAGER FOR REGULAR FOOTBALL

Aston Villa new signing Shay Given has admitted the lure of regular football was too good to turn down after he had become frustrated at the lack of opportunities at Manchester City.
    Given was supplanted as City's first-choice keeper by Joe Hart last season and the 35-year-old felt did not want to spend another campaign sitting on the bench.
    "I'd met (new Villa manager) Alex (McLeish) a few times before over the past few years and been very impressed with him as a man and he's been a very successful manager as well so when I got the call and knew there was huge interest, I was delighted to follow it up," he said.
    "It was a frustrating season at Man City but there's nothing much you can do. The manager made a decision and you've got to respect that and take it on the chin and you have to move on.
    "For me it's about playing football. You've got one career and I want to play as much as I can. It was frustrating but I'm not having a go at anyone - that's just how I felt. I've played for most of my career and not to be playing for a season was very tough.
    "I've just turned 35 and I'm at a stage in my career where I need to be playing regularly - that was all I was thinking.
    "Manchester City are going to be a big club in world football, not just in the Premier League, so it was a tough decision but for me, it was the right one."
    As for his future career, Given looks likely to be joined at Villa Park by a familiar face in former Newcastle team-mate Charles N'Zogbia.
    N'Zogbia is set to follow the Republic of Ireland international to Villa in a deal, reported to be worth 9.5million, that will be completed once the Frenchman has undergone a medical.
    Given believes Villa are signing a much different N'Zogbia to the one he knew at Newcastle and tipped the 25-year-old to make a big impact this term following his two-and-a-half-year stint at Wigan.
    "To be fair to Charles, I think he had some issues when he was at Newcastle but I think as a person and as a footballer he's grown," he said.
    "People forget how young he was when he was at Newcastle so I think in the last couple of seasons he's shown at Wigan what a great player he is and he's matured off the pitch as well. That just comes with getting older.
    "I'm looking forward to meeting up with him again, I think a lot of Premier League defenders don't like playing against him, he's very quick and direct with the ball.
    "He's more effective in games, he can score goals and create goals for other players as well and it looks like he's got his head down and the bit between his teeth."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 29-07-11

Charles N'Zogbia: Set for Aston Villa medical
    VILLA MEDICAL FOR CHARLES N'ZOGBIA

Charles N'Zogbia is to undergo a medical at Aston Villa on Friday ahead of his proposed move from Wigan.
    The clubs agreed a fee of 9.5million for the Frenchman earlier this week after months of speculation about his future.
    Villa set their sights on the 25-year-old after losing Ashley Young and Stewart Downing earlier in the summer to Manchester United and Liverpool respectively.
    N'Zogbia is now set to leave the Latics after two-and-a-half years with the club, having spent time with Newcastle at the start of his career.
    He is now firmly established as one of the Premier League's most effective wide men and Alex McLeish announced on Thursday that he expected a deal to be finalised next week.
    N'Zogbia has flown in following a holiday to be assessed by the club's doctors at their Bodymoor Heath training complex.
    McLeish is currently in Hong Kong with the rest of the Villa squad competing in the Premier League Asia Trophy.

Uploads

Chris Eagles: Joins Bolton
    BOLTON SWOOP FOR EAGLES AND MEARS

Bolton have completed the signings of Chris Eagles and Tyrone Mears from Burnley.
    Midfielder Eagles, 25, and defender Mears, 28, have both agreed three-year contracts.
    "Both Chris and Tyrone are top players and have shown that they have the ability to compete successfully at the highest level," said manager Owen Coyle, who knows the players from his time as boss of the Clarets.
    "I have worked with them both before and know what they will bring to the club in terms of character and commitment and along with Nigel Reo-Coker, we have added real quality to the squad."
    The pair become Coyle's third and fourth signings of the summer after the arrivals of Darren Pratley and Reo-Coker.
    "I know that it is a good squad so the challenge for me will be to work hard and then look to contribute," said Eagles.
    "I am an attacking midfielder and I will certainly be looking to chip in with some goals."
    Mears added: "I'm really looking forward to working with a manager I've worked with before and playing in the Premier League.
    "From the outside looking in, this has seemed like it is a club going in the right direction.
    "It wasn't a difficult decision at all. I know exactly what the manager expects from his players and I'm more than ready for it."

Uploads

Neil Lennon: Still Celtic boss
    LAWWELL HAILS FOCUSED LENNON

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell had no thoughts of standing manager Neil Lennon down for his own good last season.
    The Northern Irishman's first full campaign as Hoops boss proved to be incident-packed on and off the field.
    He was sent bullets and parcel bombs and was then involved in an incident with a fan at Tynecastle during a Clydesdale Bank Premier League game against Hearts.
    Lawwell described the season as a "new low" for Scottish football but had every faith in Lennon.
    Asked if he had considered stepping in to take the heat off Lennon, Lawwell told Real Radio: "No, not at all.
    "He is a strong character, an extraordinary character and he dealt with it amazingly well.
    "I think that strength of character was one of the main strengths we've seen in him as a person earlier in his career as a player, captain and coach.
    "At no time did we feel we he wasn't capable of dealing with it and I think we were proved right.
    "Things he had to deal with were beyond any reason, but he dealt with them fantastically well and never once took his focus off the job in hand.
    "Tynecastle was the week when the devices were identified as being live.
    "It was remarkable how he dealt with that and put it into context.
    "He is a remarkable individual."
    Lawwell added: "I think we hit a new low last season in terms of circumstances surrounding the game.
    "The only way is up.
    "We would like to think that would not be repeated this season and we are all taking about football and the headlines are about football."
    Lennon came up short, however, in his bid to wrest the SPL title back from Rangers.
    Lawwell, though, refuses to put pressure on the former Celtic skipper to prevent the Ibrox club racking up title number four on the trot.
    Speaking on Thursday at Celtic Park, where he was helping launch the forthcoming legends match between Celtic and Manchester United, with the gate receipts going to Oxfam's East Africa Appeal, he said: "We have never sat down and said 'you must win the league or you're out' or whatever.
    "I think everyone recognises their responsibilities and what they need to do and that is the focus.
    "It is critically important that we go out and win that league.
    "We have failed to do so in the last three years, narrowly twice, so hopefully we get through this time."

Uploads

Hernandez: No risks
    FERGIE WILL GIVE HERNANDEZ TIME

Sir Alex Ferguson has confirmed he will take no risks over the fitness of Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez.
    The Mexico international spent Tuesday night in hospital after complaining of headaches during a meal after training.
    Medical staff eventually gave Hernandez the all-clear but Ferguson has already ruled the 22-year-old out for a fortnight and he was driven down to Washington from New York on Thursday rather than making the 220-mile journey by plane.
    Ferguson downplayed the impact of neurological problems in Hernandez's youth, which were revealed in Mexico on Thursday.
    But, ahead of his side's encounter with Barcelona on Saturday, the United boss insists he will adopt a cautious approach with Hernandez.
    "I am not aware of that," said Ferguson, of the claims in Mexico from Rafael Ortega, the doctor at Hernandez's former club Chivas, before recounting the events of Tuesday evening.
    "He was hit on the top of the head with the ball. When he was back at the hotel taking his meal he was sick.
    "He had headaches, so we removed him to the hospital where he stayed in overnight. They did the MRI scans, released him yesterday and he travelled down today.
    "Concussion is something you don't want to happen but usually time heals it and we'll give Javier plenty of that.
    "We won't be rushing him back. I'll only bring him back when the doctor tells me I can."
    There is better news surrounding Antonio Valencia, who suffered an ankle injury during the opening match of Ecuador's woeful Copa America campaign which was first feared to be a repeat of the injury that forced him out for six months last term.
    Those worries were quickly allayed but Ferguson still sent him back to Carrington for extensive rehabilitation work, which seems to have paid off.
    "Antonio's training now," said Ferguson.
    "He has been cleared and training for a week now. We expect him to be back for the start of the season."
    Meanwhile, United square up to their Champions League conquerors in front of 80,000 at FedEx Field with full-back Patrice Evra keen to find a more competitive environment to make up for that shattering Wembley loss.
    "I give Barcelona a lot of respect but I'd like to play against them again in the Champions League final and win," said Evra.
    "I have already lost to them twice and it's very painful.
    "At the moment they are the best team in the world, which is difficult for us to accept because that is what we want to be."

Uploads

Ferguson managed Pique for four seasons.
    PIQUE: MAN UTD SUCCESS DOWN TO FERGIE

Gerard Pique admits he is flabbergasted at how long Sir Alex Ferguson has remained at the top with Manchester United.
    Ferguson will celebrate an incredible 25 years as Old Trafford chief in November.
    During that time he has taken a club forever languishing in Liverpool's shadow to the pinnacle of the English game.
    Last term, they finally knocked Liverpool 'off their perch' by lifting a record 19th league championship and now Ferguson is aiming to fend off new challengers in a bid to make in 20.
    Pique spent four seasons at United, having been snapped up from Barcelona as a 17-year-old and made 20 appearances for the club before returning to Catalonia and beginning an unprecedented period of success, which includes a World Cup triumph and two Champions League final wins against his old club.
    But Pique has nothing but admiration for Ferguson.
    And as they prepare to square up in Washington for the final match of United's five-game pre-season tour, Pique spoke of his high regard for the man he used to call boss.
    "I have never seen anything like this in Spain," he said. "It is unbelievable.
    "I was with him for a few years and know why he is there.
    "He is a great coach but he also treats the players really well. It is not only in terms of football. No matter what it is, he will be there for you.
    "He has won so many titles and so many important things.
    "All the Manchester United fans are really happy that he has stayed because they never won as much as they do now.
    "Most of the is because of him and I hope he stays for many years yet."

Uploads

Teves: Meeting with Branca was 'fortuitous'.
    INTER COOL TEVEZ LINK

Inter Milan director Marco Branca has insisted he met Carlos Tevez in Sardinia by chance and that the club has made no moves to sign the Argentina international.
    Speculation that Manchester City's wantaway forward could be heading to the San Siro grew after Branca was pictured shaking hands with Tevez earlier this month.
    Tevez was on holiday in Sardinia with his family after playing in the Copa America, soon after the collapse of his proposed move to Corinthians, and it was reported Inter were ready to make their move.
    But speaking today at a press conference to introduce Jonathan, Branca dismissed the idea.
    "There was only one meeting, and it was entirely fortuitous and enjoyable," he said.
    "But it happened on the beach and was not followed up."
    Branca welcomed Jonathan to Inter after the Brazilian full-back completed his move from Santos.
    The 25-year-old will face a battle to break into the Inter team ahead of Maicon, but Branca said he was an important addition.
    "The decision to bring Jonathan here shows our desire to be as competitive as possible through the large number of games a season brings," he said.

Uploads

Giuseppe Rossi: Not on the move
    ROSSI WILL STAY AT VILLARREAL

Giuseppe Rossi's agent has confirmed the striker will remain at Villarreal for the new season after being heavily linked with a move this summer.
    Tottenham were reported to have been interested in the Italy international but Italian giants Juventus had emerged as his most likely destination if he left Spain.
    But following the sale of Santi Cazorla to Malaga, the pressure on Villarreal to cash in on the striker has eased and he will now stay with the club.
    The former Manchester United forward had been keen on a deal to Juventus but will now adhere to the club's decision not to sell him.
    "Giuseppe Rossi has officially been taken off the market after they sold Santi Cazorla to Malaga," his agent Federico Pastorello told Sky Italia.
    "The economic problems which the club had have now been resolved by that transfer.
    "Nevertheless, this decision has liberated Rossi as he's now just focusing on playing football and scoring goals.
    "He's not used to being at the centre of such negotiations and tension. He wanted Juventus, but he's accepted the position taken by the president of Villarreal."

Uploads

Roland Juhasz: Eyes Rangers switch
    JUHASZ WANTS RANGERS MOVE

Roland Juhasz has urged Anderlecht to sanction his move to Rangers after insisting he needs a new challenge.
    The Hungarian defender, 28, is on Ally McCoist's wanted list but the Scottish champions have reportedly failed to agree a fee with the Belgian club.
    Juhasz told dhnet.be: "I'm curious to know if British football is something for me. It intrigues me.
    "I am 28, it's the last time to make a large transfer. It's a sporting and not financial choice. I can always go to Qatar or Dubai afterwards, but I'm not interested now.
    "I'm ready for a new challenge. If I can leave now, I prefer now. It depends on the clubs.
    "I'm concentrating on football. I have not had a contract offer from Rangers, but it would be the easy part."
    On what he believes his own valuation to be, Juhasz added: "Five [million euros] is too high. I think I'm worth two million to three million. Rangers will perhaps make a new offer, who knows?
    "I have given myself fully here, but after six years, I need a new challenge. I am beginning my seventh season at Anderlecht.
    "I'm ready to play in a new league, with a new challenge. I need a change. In the modern game, players spend only three or four years at a club."
    However, the player says he will only consider a switch to Glasgow if he has the blessing of Anderlecht.
    He said: "Let's be clear - I will not conflict with Anderlecht, where I have had no problems for six years.
    "It is a very professional club where there is never any problem of payment. I do not want to go to war in the press, either."

Uploads

Leroy Lita: Agreed terms with the Swans.
    LITA ON VERGE OF SWANSEA SWITCH

Middlesbrough striker Leroy Lita on Friday edged closer to a move to Swansea after agreeing personal terms with the Barclays Premier League newcomers.
    A fee of 1.75 million for the former Reading man was agreed earlier in the week and, despite reported interest from Leicester, Lita has successfully negotiated personal terms with the Liberty Stadium club.
    The 26-year-old will undergo a medical in south Wales next week before signing a three-year deal.
    Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins said: "Myself and (manager) Brendan (Rodgers) are delighted to come to an agreement with Leroy.
    "As I have said previously, Leroy was one of the manager's main targets when he arrived in Swansea a year ago."
    Lita is expected to come into contention for Wednesday night's friendly against Celtic.
    Rodgers, who worked with Lita at Reading, added: "Leroy is a proven goalscorer.
    "It would be a fantastic deal for this club.
    "Our supporters would love him because he is a player that is loved by the supporters of every team he plays for."
    Lita started out at Bristol City before joining Reading in 2005, for whom he made 100 appearances, scoring 32 goals.
    After loan spells at Charlton and Norwich he moved on to Middlesbrough on a free transfer in 2009.
    He managed eight goals in his first season on Teesside and 12 in his second.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast