Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 30-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 30-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 30-07-11

Craig Bellamy: Celtic target
    LENNON KEEN TO LAND BELLAMY

Celtic manager Neil Lennon hopes to contact Manchester City over the availability of striker Craig Bellamy, but admits money may be a stumbling block.
    The Northern Irishman hopes to speak with representatives of the Barclays Premier League club this weekend when both teams compete in the Dublin Super Cup.
    Lennon told the Daily Telegraph: "There is interest, but it is dictated to by finances. I hope to catch up with [City] while they are here and see if we can take it from there."
    Bellamy became a popular figure among the Hoops faithful during a successful loan spell in Glasgow six years ago when a Newcastle player.
    The 32-year-old was loaned out to Cardiff last season but has since returned to City, who further bolstered their attacking line with the acquisition of Argentina striker Sergio Aguero on Thursday.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 30-07-11

Charles N'Zogbia: Makes Villa Park move.
    VILLA SIGN CHARLES N'ZOGBIA

Aston Villa have completed the signing of midfielder Charles N'Zogbia from Wigan on a five-year contract.
    The club confirmed on their website today that the 25-year-old France international had passed a medical and would be available for next Wednesday's pre-season fixture against Derby at Pride Park and for the August 6 date with Braga in Portugal.
    "I am really happy and extremely excited to sign for Aston Villa," N'Zogbia told www.avfc.co.uk.
    "It is a great club and it is a really big step for me in my career, so I am sure I will enjoy my football here.
    "I think it is going to be a really good season and hopefully I'll do well here.
    "I can't wait to meet my new team-mates, play with them and work together to do something special this season.
    "Alex McLeish is a strong manager and I think he is going to build a really good team for this season."
    Neither club disclosed the fee, which is believed to be around 9.5million. The move sees N'Zogbia reunited with former Newcastle team-mate Shay Given, who joined from Manchester City earlier this month, and also means Villa boss Alex McLeish has finally succeeded in signing N'Zogbia after two failed attempts.
    The Scot looked to have landed the services of the player 12 months ago when in charge at Birmingham only for the deal to collapse at the 11th hour over personal terms.
    Then McLeish's bid to sign the former Newcastle man earlier this summer was halted when Wigan rejected an initial 9m bid from Villa.
    Wigan manager Roberto Martinez was sorry to lose a player of N'Zogbia's quality, telling www.wiganlatics.co.uk: "We're all disappointed to lose a player like Charles N'Zogbia, who has been fantastic for Wigan Athletic over the last two years and who we feel has grown as a player in that time too.
    "There have been some very enjoyable moments during his time at the club, he made his international debut with France and scored his first goal for his country whilst a Wigan Athletic player - memories I'm sure he'll always treasure as we will.
    "Now is the time for him to move on to a club who have matched the market valuation for him and allow us to move on, reinvest and take our football club onto another level."
    N'Zogbia announced himself on the Premier League stage after joining Newcastle as a teenager from Le Havre in September 2004.
    He made 118 appearances for the Magpies before moving to Wigan in January 2009 and became a key player at the DW Stadium, helping the Latics avoid relegation from the Barclays Premier League on the final day of last term.
    He scored 15 goals in 83 Premier League appearances for Wigan.
    His displays for the north west club caught the eye of France coach Laurent Blanc, who handed N'Zogbia an international debut against Norway last August.
    He scored his first goal for Les Bleus with a deflected effort while winning his second cap in last month's 1-0 friendly win over Poland.

Uploads

Aguero: High hopes
    AGUERO EYES SILVERWARE AT CITY

Manchester City new boy Sergio Aguero is confident further silverware lies ahead as he and his new club "grow together".
    The Argentina striker signed from Atletico Madrid for a fee believed to be in the region of 35million, and was presented to the media at the Dublin Cup pre-season tournament.
    The 23-year-old will not feature in City's matches against an Airtricity XI or Inter Milan, with his debut instead scheduled for August 6th's Community Shield against Manchester United at Wembley.
    He set his sights high, insisting that the chance to add to City's FA Cup success last season was the driving force behind his move.
    "I was very interested in playing here as it's a growing club and I hope that we can grow together," he said.
    "I think we have great players and a great team. I am playing at one of the best English teams at the moment and there are many things that can be achieved. We can win many titles and hopefully it will be a top year for us."
    It seems all but certain that Aguero, the son-in-law of Argentina legend Diego Maradona, has been signed as a replacement for compatriot Carlos Tevez, who has not featured at all during the club's pre-season campaign amid ongoing speculation over his future.
    Aguero was non-committal over the prospect of either teaming up with or replacing Tevez, saying: "We are good friends and play together in the national team but whatever he does is up to him, I just want to concentrate on playing here.
    "If he is here, then that is great. If not, then I will adapt without him. Who is here and who is not does not matter, what is important is that I become part of the team. It is easy to adapt these days."
    A move to Brazilian side Corinthians, which would have fulfilled Tevez's stated desire to be nearer his family back in his homeland, fell through and Inter have emerged as the latest suitors for the want-away frontman.
    But coach Gian Piero Gasparini, also speaking in Dublin, refused to be drawn on the issue and told Sky Sports: "We are here to talk football with Manchester City on Sunday.
    "There is no need to discuss what is going on in the market. We are all aware of what is going on at the moment and the media's interest but we are here to discuss what is happening on the pitch for the next matches to come.
    "Of course with a great player there is always a lot of interest and that is normal. Different clubs and big clubs always talk about big players. Now the transfer window is open it doesn't matter if a player is actually playing, they will always be talked about.
    "Until the 31st August what is important is the reality of things, and the reality is that Carlos Tevez is a Manchester City player."

Uploads

Foster: Makes switch to Baggies.
    BAGGIES SECURE FOSTER SIGNING

West Brom have signed Birmingham goalkeeper Ben Foster on loan for the season with Boaz Myhill going in the opposite direction.
    Foster's arrival follows the sale of Scott Carson to Turkish club Bursaspor, with Birmingham taking Myhill to provide competition for Colin Doyle following the departures from St Andrew's of Foster and Maik Taylor.
    Foster, who earlier this year ruled himself out of England duty, will not return to Birmingham during the season as the deal prevents both clubs from recalling their keepers during the loan.
    West Brom head coach Roy Hodgson told the club website, www.wba.co.uk: "We are very, very happy that the deal to bring Ben from Birmingham has gone through.
    "He was always the goalkeeper that we targeted as our number one choice for the season.
    "We are hoping he will be as successful here as he has been with his previous clubs.
    "We are confident Ben is the goalkeeper we need to help us enjoy a successful season in the Barclays Premier League."
    Foster joined Birmingham from Manchester United last summer and played all of the club's 38 Premier League games in a season which saw them suffer relegation but also win the Carling Cup final.
    Albion sporting and technical director Dan Ashworth added: "We are absolutely delighted to have signed a goalkeeper of the calibre of Ben, who has just enjoyed an excellent season at Birmingham.
    "He was our top goalkeeping target during this summer transfer window and it's great we have managed to bring him here.
    "I have contacted several managers and coaches who have previously worked with Ben and they all spoke very highly of him, both as a professional and as a person."

Uploads

Fabregas and Nasri: Staying or going?
    WENGER WANTS DUO TO DRIVE ARSENAL

Arsene Wenger has challenged want-away captain Cesc Fabregas and contract rebel Samir Nasri to nail their colours to the Arsenal mast and drive the club on to long-overdue success next season.
    Fabregas will play no part in this weekend's Emirates Cup - which features a game against New York Red Bulls and former skipper Thierry Henry - as constant rumours over his future and recovery from a troublesome hamstring have, according to Wenger, left the midfielder "unsettled", with Barcelona looking to bring the World Cup winner back to the Nou Camp. Nasri, meanwhile, has yet to pen a new deal.
    Wenger remains as defiant as ever his young squad can finally deliver in 2011/2012, having collapsed so spectacularly over the closing weeks of last season.
    "The players have worked very hard, are determined and the competition is a high level," said Wenger in last night's news conference at Emirates Stadium.
    "We analysed it all again and you look at all the performance indexes from last season you will see we were very close. That is why my desire is so big to keep the whole squad together.
    "I talked about Fabregas and Nasri because I feel a good response would be to say 'okay, we missed it last year. Let's show that we can do it together, with maybe one or two more players'.
    "That is what we come to expect from champions."
    This time last year, goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny was third choice.
    Now the young pole, whose mix-up with centre-back Laurent Koscielny cost Arsenal the Carling Cup at Wembley, has his eyes on the jersey full-time.
    "I enjoyed my spell last season and I want to do my best to convince the boss that I should be number one," Szczesny said.
    "We are all friends - all the players at the club are all friends - but at the same time, we want the same spot."
    With midfielder Abou Diaby set for 10 weeks on the sidelines after ankle surgery, Wenger could well keep hold of Henri Lansbury, who had looked set for a 2million move to Norwich, where he spent a successful loan spell last season.
    "I believe he will make a career and at the moment it is a bit congested for him, but I believe he has the talent to play for Arsenal," Wenger said.
    The Gunners are expected to close out deals for Valencia midfielder Juan Mata, Everton's England centre-back Phil Jagielka and promising young Costa Rica forward Joel Campbell ahead of the transfer deadline.
    Striker Nicklas Bendtner is on the verge of a 9m move to Sporting Lisbon, while Emmanuel Eboue is reported to be ready to join Galatasaray.

Uploads

Villa-Boas: Latest Chelsea boss
    HIDDINK URGES ABRAMOVICH TO BE PATIENT

Former Chelsea coach Guus Hiddink thinks owner Roman Abramovich should follow Manchester United's example and give his manager time to establish himself at Stamford Bridge.
    The Blues have had seven different managers since Abramovich took over the club in 2003, including Hiddink as a caretaker coach in 2009 following the dismissal of Luiz Felipe Scolari.
    Andre Villa-Boas is the latest man to be handed the reins, with the Portuguese replacing Carlo Ancelotti over the summer.
    And Turkey coach Hiddink is hoping the 33-year-old will be given the chance to prove himself by the Russian billionaire.
    "If you look at Manchester United, they are the example that clubs need stability," the Dutchman was quoted as saying in several English newspapers.
    "This is what Chelsea need as well. I have told Roman that and I think they are convinced as well now.
    "Look at the record of Carlo, he won the double. Of course, if you win the double and you go it is harsh. Carlo did well for the last two years but, hopefully, this decision will bring success as well."
    Hiddink is also confident Villa-Boas can overcome his youth and inexperience to make his mark at Chelsea.
    "It is a very young age for Villas-Boas to be Chelsea's manager, but he has already proved at Porto he is good," Hiddink said.
    "It depends on the quality of the manager and how he deals with senior players. Age does not have to mean the players consider him as a brother.
    "If they feel he is straightforward and has integrity, he will be fine."

Uploads

Jose Mourinho: Real Madrid coach
    ERIKSSON: MOURINHO FOR ENGLAND

Sven-Goran Eriksson believes Jose Mourinho should be considered for the England job when Fabio Capello leaves.
    Mourinho led Chelsea to two Premier League titles as well as an FA Cup triumph during his time at Stamford Bridge, earning himself many admirers within the English game.
    The Portuguese is now in charge of Real Madrid, but former England manager Eriksson sees no reason why Mourinho should not be considered when the job becomes available.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if Jose was a candidate for the England job, absolutely not," the Leicester boss was quoted as saying in several national newspapers.
    "Do you think the discussion that you must be English to be the England manager is still going on? I don't think so.
    "Nobody would complain if England were to take Mourinho. I think what he has done during the last 10 years makes him perhaps the best, or one of the best, managers around.
    "When he's finished at Real he won't be short of offers, so why not? If you've tried English football, you love it, whether you are a player, coach or manager.
    "If you've been working in football in England, then leave for another country, it's not the same. So, I understand Jose wants to come back."
    Capello's current contract runs until after Euro 2012.

Uploads

Luka Modric: Transfer saga continues
    CHELSEA TO DISCUSS LUKA MODRIC

Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay plans to hold talks with manager Andre Villas-Boas regarding the possibility of a renewed bid for Luka Modric.
    Tottenham have already rejected an offer from their Premier League rivals for Modric this summer and insist the Croatian is not for sale.
    Modric has previously suggested he would be keen to move to Stamford Bridge after the playmaker was also linked with champions Manchester United.
    Gourlay was non-committal on whether the Blues would go back in with an improved offer and will speak to Villas-Boas following the club's success in the Barclays Asia Trophy in Hong Kong.
    "I don't like talking about players from other clubs, but that's something we'll look at during the week and we'll take it from there," Gourlay told Sky Sports News.
    "We really need to sit down with Andre and talk this through. Even though we've been travelling away you can still be active in the marketplace nowadays.
    "The communication is always there with our guys back in London or wherever they are at the present time around the world."
    Modric missed Spurs' friendly against Brighton on Saturday due to illness, but manager Harry Redknapp again praised the player's attitude during the ongoing speculation about his future.
    Redknapp said: "Luka wasn't feeling well. He came in yesterday and wasn't great, he came in this morning to see the doctor and he had ulcers on the back of his throat.
    "He was pretty rough. The doctor rung and said no way he can play.
    "Again, I can't fault his attitude, he's been first class. Obviously it's been a difficult period for everybody with him. He's trained well and worked hard. He's a great lad and you couldn't meet a better pro in my opinion."

Uploads

Adebayor: Enjoyed loan spell at Real Madrid
    MOURINHO: NO ADEBAYOR MOVE TALKS

Jose Mourinho insists Real Madrid are not in talks to sign Emmanuel Adebayor, despite the Manchester City striker watching the pre-season victory over Leicester.
    Adebayor, who spent the second half of last season on loan at the Spanish giants, was in the stands at the King Power Stadium as Mourinho's men maintained their 100 per cent record this summer with a 2-1 triumph over the npower Championship club.
    Adebayor's future at City is in doubt following the arrival of Sergio Aguero but Mourinho played down the 27-year-old's presence.
    Asked if he was looking to seal a permanent deal for Adebayor, Mourinho said: "No. He is here because he is our friend and he belongs to us. He is one of us.
    "It doesn't matter if he is playing at Real Madrid or Manchester City or another club, he is one of us.
    "He was with us for six months and went to the heart of everybody. He is a great lad and everybody loves him.
    "When he called us asking permission to come here today, there was not one second of thought.
    "He was with us in the dressing room and he is always welcome."
    Mourinho added: "If he comes he comes, if he doesn't it doesn't matter. We will all know by August 31st who is in and who is out and where they are playing.
    "But today he came as a friend and he is always welcome."
    Mourinho was also clear about the future of Karim Benzema, who was linked with Arsenal in several of Saturday morning's newspapers.
    He added: "There is no speculation. He is not for sale, no chance."

Uploads

Juan Mata: Tottenham transfer target
    REDKNAPP REVEALS MATA INTEREST

Harry Redknapp has confirmed Tottenham are interested in signing in-demand Valencia winger Juan Mata.
    The 23-year-old has been linked with Spurs' arch-rivals Arsenal, while several other clubs are also keen on Mata, who impressed at this summer's European Under-21 Championship.
    Valencia have insisted there have been no approaches for the Spaniard and are also determined not to sell Mata during the transfer window.
    Redknapp revealed Spurs' interest in signing Mata is in the hands of chairman Daniel Levy as he looks to improve his squad ahead of the new season.
    The Tottenham boss claimed Arsenal are among the clubs in competition to sign Mata and is unsure whether a deal will be done.
    "The chairman has been dealing with it," said Redknapp after Spurs' pre-season friendly win at Brighton on Saturday.
    "He is a player we like, obviously, so do Arsenal, so do a few other clubs, but where it's all at I don't know.
    "He's a player I went and saw when England played Spain Under -21s and I thought he looked fantastic.
    "Whether anything happens I wouldn't be sure, the chairman is the only person who has been dealing with those transfers."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast