Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 31-07-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 31-07-11

Latest Transfer Update at 31-07-11

Ferguson: No deal for Sneijder imminent
    FERGUSON FURY AT SNEIJDER CLAIMS

Sir Alex Ferguson has rejected claims that he is nearing a deal to bring Wesley Sneijder to Manchester United.
    Throughout United's pre-season tour of North America, Ferguson has consistently rejected any talk that Sneijder is set to leave Inter Milan.
    On Saturday, chief executive David Gill said there was "nothing imminent".
    However, quotes attributed to Ferguson released overnight indicate talks have taken place and Sneijder has been presented with a take-it-or-leave-it offer.
    "If he wants to come, he must accept our contract offer. If not we have other options in mind. We are done talking," Ferguson is reported as saying by the Mail on Sunday.
    But after the 2-1 win over Barcelona at FedEx Field, Ferguson denied the story.
    "Absolute nonsense," said the Scot. "I have never discussed him. There is nothing new."
    Ferguson is clearly unhappy with the story and emphasised his desire to find a replacement for Paul Scholes from within his present squad by talking up the performance of England Under-21 midfielder Tom Cleverley.
    "It an area we have to find a solution for," he said.
    "That is why we played Tom Cleverley today. Physically he is not the strongest but he is wiry and has a great idea of the game.
    "He is a good footballer and was our best player today.
    "His discipline was terrific. He is a quick passer of the ball. He has good eyes.
    "It was a big night for him. He is a big, strong possibility for us to start the season."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 31-07-11

Fabregas and Nasri: Linked with summer moves
    WENGER CALLS FOR COMMITMENT

Arsene Wenger has challenged Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri to show their commitment to Arsenal.
    Fabregas has once again been linked with a move away from the Emirates with his boyhood heroes Barcelona reportedly hopeful of securing his services for the start of the new La Liga campaign.
    Meanwhile, Nasri has refused to sign a new contract with the North London giants, with one year left on his current deal.
    The Frenchman has been linked with a move to Manchester United and Manchester City, but Wenger has ruled out a move for the playmaker and is adamant he wants to keep him at the club until his deal expires.
    Wenger spoke after watching his side blow a two-goal lead in the 2-2 against Boca Juniors in the Emirates Cup on Saturday.
    He said: "If Fabregas is committed to this club and wants to stay, no money will get him out of here.
    "We are not in a position where we need to sell our players. We are not looking after money.
    "He cares about this club and that's why I hope he can keep him."
    Wenger continued: "Nasri needs to be committed as well.
    "On the sporting side, he is an important player. We have to deal with the situation one way or another. In the next 10 days we have to be clear on that front."
    Wenger insists that the Gunners are far from a club 'in crisis', adding: "Let's be relaxed. If you want to start a crisis before the start of the season I can understand that, but I don't see the need."

Uploads

Sven-Goran Eriksson: Wants new striker
    FOXES SEARCH FOR NEW STRIKER

Leicester boss Sven-Goran Eriksson is targeting another striker for the new season.
    The former England manager has been busy during the summer adding players of Premier League quality to his squad.
    His most high-profile recruits have been Michael Johnson on a season-long loan from Manchester City, while John Pantsil joined on a free transfer.
    But the Swede still wants to add further pieces to his jigsaw and has been linked with a late move for Leroy Lita, who is a target for recently promoted Swansea.
    "We want two players for every position and we have that with defenders and midfielders now," Eriksson told the Leicester Mercury.
    "We hope to get the same for the strikers, so we hope one or two more will come in.
    "I hope we are close. There are different targets, but I hope that something will happen."

Uploads

Mohamed Sissoko: PSG switch
    SPENDING CONTINUES FOR PSG

Paris St Germain have continued their summer spending with the arrivals of Salvatore Sirigu and Mohamed Sissoko at the Parc des Princes.
    Mali international midfielder Sissoko makes the switch from Juventus, agreeing a three-year deal with the French club to return to the country of his birth.
    "It's a great pleasure to play for PSG," the former Liverpool player told psg.fr.
    "I chose PSG because the club has a very ambitious project. The club made me want to come. I did not hesitate.
    "I've never played in France. I now have the opportunity to experience this championship and impose myself. I hope to bring more to the team."
    Goalkeeper Sirigu, 24, has penned a four-year deal following a move from Palermo.
    "I am very pleased to sign for PSG, I am honoured," said the Italian.
    "I will learn French as quickly as possible in order to communicate with my team-mates."
    PSG have now brought in six new players for the start of the Ligue 1 season, as well as former Inter Milan coach Leonardo as their sporting director.
    And the Brazilian has not ruled out further signings before the transfer window closes next month.
    "Mohamed (Sissoko) has played for Valencia, Liverpool and Juventus, and has extensive experience despite being only 26," Leonardo said.
    "He will bring much to the club and the team.
    "Salvatore is a great player. Playing abroad will be a great experience for him on a personal level and for his game.
    "Recruitment is ongoing."
    PSG have also been linked with a move for Sirigu's Palermo team-mate, Javier Pastore.

Uploads

Jed Steer: Makes loan move
    STEER MAKES YEOVIL LOAN MOVE

Yeovil have completed the loan signing of Norwich goalkeeper Jed Steer.
    The 18-year-old, who has had his contract with the Premier League newcomers extended by a year, has been on trial with Town and will spend the next three months at Huish Park.
    On his eighth new signing of the summer, Yeovil boss Terry Skiverton said: "I love him. I think he is a great player and he has pulled out two or three great saves in the two pre-season games he has played.
    "He kicks very well and he is a calming influence at the back. He is along the lines of what I look for, he is a youth international with great passing skills coming out of the back.
    "He is almost a sweeper-keeper and he made great decisions about when to come and when not to come. He is someone that I have full trust in."

Uploads

Sergio Aguero: Manchester City move
    FORLAN: CHELSEA BETTER FOR AGUERO

Diego Forlan believes former Atletico Madrid team-mate Sergio Aguero should have joined Chelsea rather than Manchester City.
    Argentina striker Aguero left the Vicente Calderon for City earlier this week in a 38million deal after being linked with a string of Europe's leading clubs.
    Forlan wishes the 23-year-old well but believes he would have been better off holding out for a move to Andre Villas Boas' Blues instead.
    "It was no real surprise to see him leave, but I thought it would have been to a different club," the former Manchester United forward told The People.
    "Chelsea's game and squad are more suited to his style.
    "And of course I am a Manchester United fan, so his decision to move to City is also painful for me."
    Forlan also offers a note of caution for Aguero, having struggled to make an impact himself at United before hitting form in Spain with Villarreal and then Atletico.
    The Uruguay international added: "I know City are now one of the big clubs in England, so I wish Sergio luck.
    "But I know from my own time in England that the Premier League is not like La Liga.
    "The key for him will be how he adapts to the style of the game and also the country.
    "He can be a success because he is a star... he can be a king at any club.
    "The best asset of Aguero is the number of goals he scores, and when he scores them. He is a killer and could also destroy many defenders with his dribbles.
    "Personally, it is bad news to me because I will now miss a big companion in attack at Atletico.
    "He is not the tallest, but that is not a problem, and neither is the hardness of the English defenders.
    "I do not know if (Carlos) Tevez will stay at City, but a Tevez-Aguero pairing could be sensational for City. For La Liga, this is all bad news, but for the Premier League, it's a success to have such a player."

Uploads

Roman Pavlyuchenko: Could leave Tottenham
    PAVLYUCHENKO WAITS FOR SPURS DECISION

Roman Pavlyuchenko is waiting to learn if he will be kept on at Tottenham this season after revealing he expects a striker to leave the club.
    The Russia international scored 10 goals in 29 Premier League appearances last term, but is unsure if he is in Harry Redknapp's plans for the new campaign.
    The 29-year-old says there has been no progress regarding talks over a new contract and is aware the competition for places up front could see Redknapp offload one of his attacking players.
    "I feel very much adapted and comfortable at Tottenham," said Pavlyuchenko in the Daily Star Sunday. "In football, circumstances change very fast sometimes.
    "We now have five strikers. There's myself, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Robbie Keane and Rafael van der Vaart, who I also consider to be a forward.
    "Obviously, someone is going to be either sold or sent on loan.
    "There is no news about my contract yet, so all we have to do now is to wait and see."
    He added: "As far as I can judge, the club still want to determine who they buy in the summer."

Uploads

Long: Transfer talk
    LONG INTERESTED IN HAMMERS MOVE

Shane Long admits he would have to consider a move to West Ham United, but insists he would be happy to stay at Reading.
    The Republic of Ireland striker is being courted by several clubs and the Hammers are understood to have had a 7million offer for Long turned down.
    Celtic are also interested in the 24-year-old, but Reading have insisted that no clubs have yet matched their valuation of the former Cork City forward.
    West Ham are weighing up whether to make a renewed bid and Long, who scored over 20 goals last season as Reading lost to Swansea City in the play-off final, acknowledged he would not rule out a move to Upton Park.
    However, the in-demand hit-man says he is not 'dying' to leave the Madejski Stadium ahead of the Royals' opening game of the new Championship season against Millwall next weekend.
    Long told the Independent on Sunday: "West Ham are a big club, so it would definitely be something for me to think about.
    "But I wouldn't be that disappointed if nothing happened and I stayed at Reading.
    "I'm happy here and I like playing under the manager (Brian McDermott). I'm not dying to get out."

Uploads

Ledley: Hopes Bellamy will join him at Celtic
    LEDLEY HOPES FOR BELLAMY SWITCH

Celtic midfielder Joe Ledley hopes a deal can be reached to bring Craig Bellamy to Celtic.
    Celtic boss Neil Lennon has admitted interest in Manchester City's out-of-favour striker, who had a successful loan spell at Parkhead six years ago and spent last season on loan at Cardiff.
    Wales international Ledley told a number of Scottish newspapers: "I'd love for Craig to come to Celtic.
    "He has been at the club before, knows what it's all about and would be a fantastic signing.
    "I've played with him for the national team and he has an incredible desire to win.
    "Craig also brings the best out of his team-mates.
    "Craig would do very well at Celtic if some sort of deal was sorted out."

Uploads

Ashley Williams: Happy at Swansea
    WILLIAMS KEEN ON NEW SWANSEA DEAL

Swansea defender Ashley Williams admits it is "great" that he may soon be in a position to sign a new contract at the Liberty Stadium.
    Williams' agent recently revealed that the Wales international has been in talks with the Premier League new boys regarding an extension.
    The 26-year-old, who has been linked with a summer move to QPR, has laughed off speculation that his future with Swansea is up in the air.
    Instead, the centre-half is keen to play his part in the club's upcoming campaign in the top flight and is looking forward to agreeing a new deal.
    "There might be something there for me to sign soon which is great but it's not as if my future's up in the air," Williams told Wales on Sunday.
    "There was obviously some talk of bids over the summer, but it's just talk and you get on with it.
    "I was abroad when a few stories about me and some of the others came out and I was laughing at it more than anything, because you don't know anything about it and you can't do anything about it. It's not new, it's been the same for the past couple of seasons.
    "It's all irrelevant really. If a bid came in and it was serious and I actually wanted to go it's only then would you start thinking about it and all the factors.
    "Perhaps it might have been different if that had happened and we weren't in the Premier League. But we're here and that's the main thing for myself. I wanted to get here and complete the journey having come from the bottom."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast