Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 03-08-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 03-08-11

Latest Transfer Update at 03-08-11

Lampard: Still feels effective
    LAMPARD: I'M NOT PAST IT YET

Frank Lampard insists he can continue to play at the highest level during the remaining two years of his Chelsea contract even as age begins to catch up with him.
    Lampard, 33, is starting to face questions about how effective he can continue to be for a Chelsea squad that has several aging players - as well as impressive youngsters like Josh McEachran ready to challenge for their places.
    But Lampard is confident, after passing the 10th anniversary of his £11million move from West Ham, that he has plenty of football left in him.
    "I think the age thing has changed," Lampard said in The Sun.
    "People are pretty quick to write you off once you get into your 30s but they have proved to be a lot of players' best years.
    "Ryan Giggs was outstanding against us in the Champions League quarter-final last season - and in a lot of other games - at 37 years old.
    "If you look after yourself, keep motivated, which is very important, know your body, do the right things, and manage yourself well, then you can certainly have your best years in your 30s."
    Lampard added that he would be happy to play football at any level, but believes being involved at the top end of the Barclays Premier League helps keep him energised.
    "There's a lovely mix at this level," he said. "I love playing, I love the sport and the basics of going out to play football.
    "But I also love the stuff that comes with it at the top.
    "I'd still enjoy playing if it were at Sunday league level, but I like the cut-throat mentality at this level, where you have to keep on top of your game no matter whatbecause, if you drop, you're out of it.
    "That's what drives me on, I like being at the top."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 03-08-11

Barton: Looking for a new club
    CLUBS LINE UP FOR JOEY BARTON

Joey Barton would appear to have his pick of clubs as he sets about again resurrecting his turbulent career ahead of the new Barclays Premier League season.
    On Monday, Barton was informed by Newcastle he could leave on a free transfer amid his ongoing criticisms of the Magpies hierarchy on Twitter, and the breakdown in talks over a new contract.
    Despite a chequered past that has seen Barton involved in fracas with team-mates, as well as serving a prison sentence in 2008 after being found guilty on a charge of common assault and affray, the 28-year-old seemingly has no shortage of admirers.
    According to agent Willie McKay, he has been "inundated with interest", apparently talking to six Premier League clubs, as well as four overseas sides, with Malaga and Paris St Germain reputed to be among them.
    But despite professing his "honour" at wearing the Newcastle shirt on Monday in the wake of being told he could leave, it is likely Barton - who claims to have been fined two weeks' wages by Newcastle - will now start the forthcoming campaign at pastures new.
    Arsenal, Tottenham, Aston Villa and Stoke are reputed to be among the Premier League sides interested in acquiring his services.
    With the end of his four-season spell approaching on Tyneside, the midfielder was yesterday made to train alone by boss Alan Pardew.
    Barton described that as "predictable" on his Twitter page, before then leaving the training ground with a large cardboard box tucked under his arm.
    Barton even took to quoting George Orwell just before the training session when he wrote: "In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act."
    Barton then later claimed on the social networking site he had been fined two weeks' wages, although the club have yet to clarify the reason for the punishment.
    Barton wrote: "Ha ha the inevitable, 2 weeks wages fine has just arrived. Needless to say it shall be appealed forthwith. £kickingamanwhilsthesdownha."
    Prior to that Barton had also further expressed his feelings over local press reports, claiming club officials were making "false statements".
    Barton further wrote: "Everyone here knows I speak the truth.
    "I also have too much respect for my teammates and the fans to get in a tit for tat war with them. I have too much self-worth and dignity."

Uploads

Peter Crouch: Transfer talk
    CROUCH LINKED WITH TOTTENHAM EXIT

Roman Pavlyuchenko's agent believes Peter Crouch is the most likely of Tottenham's strikers to be sold this summer.
    The likes of Stoke, Sunderland and Everton are all thought to be keen on landing the 30-year-old, who has won 42 caps for England.
    Pavlyuchenko's agent, Oleg Artemov, has been looking to hold talks with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy regarding a new contract for the Russian, but the club's supremo has been too busy for a meeting.
    Artemov believes the White Hart Lane outfit need to sell players and that Crouch, formerly of Liverpool and Portsmouth, is very much a man in demand.
    "I expect to talk nearer to the transfer window's closing time," explained Artemov in the Daily Star. "At the moment he is too busy.
    "He needs to sell players and to buy new ones. Two or three teams are interested in Peter Crouch.
    "So he is most likely to be the one of the five Spurs attackers to leave."

Uploads

Jones: Signed for Latics.
    LATICS SNAP UP DAVID JONES

Wigan have announced the signing of former Wolves midfielder David Jones.
    The 26-year-old, who left Molineux when his contract expired at the end of last season, has signed for the Latics after a successful trial period.
    He told the club's official website: "I'm delighted to have sorted out my future. Roberto Martinez is a great manager to work for and I've loved every minute of training so far. I already feel settled here."
    He added: "I'd like to thank everyone at Wolves for their support when I was there and to say goodbye to a great set of fans there. But I'm a Wigan player now and I'm really looking forward to the new season and proving to the gaffer he has made a good choice."
    Martinez clearly believes that is the case, telling the website: "Technically he is very gifted, shows good personality on the pitch and already has solid experience of the Barclays Premier League behind him, with the best years of his career still ahead.
    "Dave has connected well with the group during pre-season, he has shown a great attitude towards work and will certainly bring something different to the squad.
    "We've been impressed with the levels of his work in training and everyone's excited to be welcoming him to our club."
    Jones made 66 Wolves appearances in three seasons, helping them into the top flight and playing a part in their survival there.
    He had previously played for Derby, signing permanently after playing for the Rams in one of a number of his loan spells away from first club Manchester United.

Uploads

Milan Jovanovic: Deal agreed with Anderlecht.
    JOVANOVIC TO MAKE ANDERLECHT MOVE

Anderlecht have struck a deal to sign out-of-favour forward Milan Jovanovic from Liverpool.
    Belgian giants Anderlecht announced the news on their website, saying that the deal will be completed once Jovanovic passes a medical on Thursday.
    Jovanovic, now 30, joined Liverpool on a free transfer from Standard Liege last summer, having impressed former Reds boss Rafael Benitez, but he was unable to establish himself in the Premier League.
    Anderlecht stated on Tuesday: "RSC Anderlecht and Liverpool FC reached today, Tuesday, August 2, 2011, an agreement on the transfer of Liverpool striker Milan Jovanovic."
    Jovanovic had been linked with Anderlecht for several weeks, with there seemingly little prospect of him forcing his way into manager Kenny Dalglish's long-term plans at Anfield.
    The skilful Serbian had been a huge success in Belgium with his previous club, boasting an impressive goals-per-game strike rate and catching the eye in the Champions League group stages in 2009.
    Anderlecht general manager Herman Van Holsbeeck on Tuesday described negotiations with Liverpool as "long, but fruitful" and spoke of Jovanovic's "undeniable talent" and "requisite experience" being key qualities.
    The Reds this evening announced a deal was in place with the Belgian side.
    A club statement read on Tuesday: "Liverpool confirmed this evening they have reached agreement with Anderlecht for the transfer of Milan Jovanovic."

Uploads

David Goodwillie: Blackburn and Rangers target
    GERS MATCH ROVERS BID FOR GOODWILLIE

Ally McCoist has confirmed Rangers have submitted another bid for Dundee United striker David Goodwillie.
    The Scottish champions have already failed with previous attempts to land the 22-year-old who has held talks with Blackburn.
    Blackburn have reportedly offered £2million up front with £800,000 potential add-ons plus a sell-on clause, which has been accepted by United.
    Asked if Rangers' latest bid is equal to that offered by the Barclays Premier League club, McCoist said: "As far as I'm aware, yes.
    "Unfortunately I can't give you a lot of information, other than we have put in a new bid to Dundee United.
    "We just have to wait and see in the next couple of hours what happens.
    "We've all made no secret of the fact that David is a player we would love to see at Rangers.
    "We believe that we have put a bid in that's more than acceptable."

Uploads

Kilbane: Has become Derby's ninth summer signing
    RAMS SWOOP FOR KILBANE

Derby County have completed another summer signing after bringing in Kevin Kilbane on a six-month loan deal from Championship rivals Hull City.
    The 34-year-old, who has been capped 110 times by the Republic of Ireland, has struggled to secure a regular place at the KC Stadium.
    Kilbane, who can also play left-back, spent the end of last season on loan at League One side Huddersfield but Clough has swooped to secure his ninth capture of the summer.
    "Kevin brings with him a wealth of experience, as well as the ability to play in a variety of positions," Clough told Derby's official website.
    "He is an international footballer, so first and foremost it is exciting for us to attract another player of that ilk to Derby County.
    "We believe he will be a welcome addition to our squad and, given the type of character and player he is, we have no doubt he will do a good job for us."
    Kilbane could now make his Derby debut in the opening game of the new season against relegated Birmingham City on Saturday.

Uploads

Dimitar Berbatov: Linked with PSG move
    FERGUSON DROPS BERBATOV PSG HINT

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has indicated that Dimitar Berbatov could join Paris St Germain.
    Following a Manchester United XI's defeat to Marseille on Tuesday, Ferguson was quizzed by reporters on French television station Direct 8.
    When asked if PSG fans could expect to see the Bulgarian striker turn out for their side next season, Ferguson abruptly replied "Yes" before moving on.
    Despite finishing as the club's top scorer last season, Berbatov's United career has been in doubt since his omission from the Champions League final defeat to Barcelona in May.
    With Wayne Rooney and Javier Hernandez expected to be Ferguson's first-choice pairing this season, Berbatov could be tempted by a move to French football.
    Capital club PSG have new-found wealth through owners Qatar Investment Authority and are believed to be prepared to meet Berbatov's demands to make him their marquee signing.
    However, Berbatov revealed last month he was planning to stay at United as the 'only way is down' for a player once they head out of Old Trafford.
    His agent later confirmed the Bulgarian would see out the final year of his contract and it remains to be seen whether Ferguson seriously expects him to go to PSG.

Uploads

Cameron Jerome: Fulham bid rejected
    JOL UNLIKELY TO UP JEROME BID

Fulham have had a bid for Birmingham striker Cameron Jerome rejected by the npower Championship club, Craven Cottage manager Martin Jol has confirmed.
    Jol revealed he did not think the Barclays Premier League club would increase their offer, understood to be around £3million.
    "We made a bid we thought was realistic," said Jol.
    The Fulham manager also revealed England striker Bobby Zamora had broken his hand in the 3-0 Europa League win over NSI Runavik last week.
    "He broke his hand the other day," explained Jol and added that was one of the reasons Fulham made their bid for Jerome.
    Jol also said he expected Zamora to be available to play in the return leg on Thursday.
    Jerome, 24, was on Stoke's radar earlier this summer when they made a double bid for him and prized centre-back Scott Dann, which was also rebuffed by Blues.
    City's hierarchy are believed to be willing to consider selling Jerome but only if the price is right, with a more significant bid needed to tempt them to part with his services.
    That could force the hand of Potters boss Tony Pulis and other Barclays Premier League sides, including Bolton, reported to be interested in the forward.
    Jol currently has Zamora, Andrew Johnson, Mousa Dembele and midfielder-turned-forward Clint Dempsey at his disposal in attack and is clearly keen to add to his ranks.
    Jerome is one of a handful of players at St Andrew's whose futures still remain up in the air ahead of the August 31 transfer deadline.
    Dann, Liam Ridgewell and Nikola Zigic have also been linked with moves away from Birmingham, who are working under tough financial constraints following May's relegation to the npower Championship.
    Craig Gardner, Roger Johnson and Barry Ferguson have already been sold, Ben Foster has been loaned to neighbours West Brom on a season-long deal while the likes of Sebastian Larsson, Lee Bowyer and Kevin Phillips were all released.
    Jerome could possibly be the next to join that list should Blues' valuation be matched.
    The former England Under-21 international signed for the midlands club from Cardiff for an initial fee of £3million in the summer of 2006 and has scored 41 goals in 201 appearances during his five years in the second city.
    However, he only managed a total of three league goals in 34 outings for the club last term.
    Jerome signed a new five-year deal with Birmingham in July 2009.

Uploads

Mauro Zarate: Former Birmingham striker
    'TOP OFFER' NEEDED TO SIGN ZARATE

Lazio maintain that they will not sell striker Mauro Zarate in a cut-price deal amid reports Arsenal and Tottenham have shown interest.
    Paris St Germain and Manchester City have also been linked with the Argentine, who is under contract in Italy until 2014.
    But Lazio president Claudio Lotito has previously insisted that there have been no offers for the former Birmingham man.
    And he maintains that Zarate will not be allowed to leave for anything less than Lazio's valuation.
    Lotito is quoted as saying in the Daily Mirror: "Zarate is not on the market, but it is clear that if a top offer was to arrive it would be considered."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast