Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 04-08-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 04-08-11

Latest Transfer Update at 04-08-11

Dalglish: With his summer recruits
    DALGLISH HAPPY TO KEEP SPENDING

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish insists it was imperative they spent big money this summer and hinted his spending is not yet over.
    The Reds boss has splashed out more than 100million on new talent since he returned to Anfield in January.
    Dalglish has paid tribute to the club's American owners Fenway, led by John W Henry, for investing.
    But with their backline looking anything but solid thus far during pre-season, Dalglish is expected to bring out the cheque book again before the end of August.
    Newcastle's Jose Enrique looks firm favourite to come in at left back, whilst Bolton's Gary Cahill and Birmingham's Scott Dann are believed to be topping Dalgish's options in central defence.
    "Everyone hopes all their signings will come in and make a huge impact, but we believe we have improved and enhanced the talent we already had here," said Dalglish.
    "Spending money does not guarantee you success. (But) I don't know of any football club that has ever had success that has not spent money. So it is necessary.
    "But it's even more important to spend it wisely. We've acted responsibly in the transfer market and we've also acted responsibly and respectfully with the owners, who have been fantastically supportive during the window.
    "If there is a better owner that is as supportive as John W Henry, then they have done very well for themselves because he's fantastically supportive, a genuinely good fella.
    "I never had any doubts (about Henry's credentials), so you need to ask the people who had the doubts."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 04-08-11

Long: Interest mounting
    SVEN FEARS LONG IS PREM BOUND

Sven Goran Eriksson fears striking target Shane Long is destined for the Premier League.
    It was revealed last week that The Foxes had launched a bid for the Irish international, who has also been targeted by Championship rivals West Ham.
    But with the likes of West Brom, Sunderland, Everton and Newcastle also linked - Eriksson fears the lure of the top-flight will win the day for the Reading man.
    "Long is one on the list but he may end up in the Premier League," said Eriksson.
    "We are working on one or two more and if we do that it's going to be a big name."

Uploads

Jol: Awaiting news on striker bid.
    COTTAGERS WAIT ON STRIKER BID

Fulham were on Thursday awaiting the outcome their attempt to buy at least one unnamed striker after Birmingham rejected their 3million offer for Cameron Jerome.
    Cottagers boss Martin Jol on Wednesday revealed he had hedged his bets when moving for Jerome by identifying an alternative centre-forward to act as understudy to Bobby Zamora.
    An injury scare suffered by Zamora prompted Jol to act to bolster his squad, with the former breaking his hand a week ago.
    The 29-year-old is fit to play but the incident was a wake-up call for Jol, who may not have been at Fulham last season but knows all too well how badly they struggled during Zamora's four-month absence with a broken leg.
    Jol is hardly short of strikers but he has only one target man.
    "If there is a problem with Bobby, I have to create another formation," he said, revealing his failure to land Jerome had not spelt the end of his search.
    "Of course, there are always players.
    "Even abroad, there are one or two players we had a look at. We made a bid as well.
    "If they accept it then we've got a new player.
    "But if they don't, we go on like it is."
    Jol admitted Zamora's injury record was a concern but denied his game time would need to be managed in the same way as Tottenham defender Ledley King
    "Bobby's probably injured occasionally," said former Spurs boss Jol.
    "Ledley King was different. Ledley King was out for seven months when I was there in the second year.
    "That was a structural problem.
    "With Bobby, it's not a big problem."
    Zamora is a former White Hart Lane team-mate of King and has been linked with a return there in a swap deal with Peter Crouch.
    Jol rubbished this, adding: "I would be silly to look for somebody else for him as a back-up player and then sell him."
    Zamora suffered his latest injury in last Thursday's Europa League third qualifying round first leg at RNK Split after someone stood on his hand.
    He will wear a cast in Thursday night's second leg at Craven Cottage, which will be Jol's first real test since taking charge, with the tie currently goalless.
    "I think it's good for the team to play at a different level, a competitive level," Jol said.
    "I still think 0-0 is good in an away match, but now we have to finish it."

Uploads

Pulis: Prepared to bide time.
    PULIS PREPARED FOR TRANSFER WAIT

Stoke boss Tony Pulis is prepared to bide his time in the transfer market if necessary.
    The Potters, who are in Croatia ahead of tonight's Europa League third qualifying round second leg against Hajduk Split, have only recruited former Tottenham centre-back Jonathan Woodgate so far this summer.
    Spurs duo Peter Crouch and Wilson Palacios and Arsenal's Nicklas Bendtner are among those to have been linked with a move to the Britannia Stadium of late, while Cameron Jerome's name has emerged again after Fulham manager Martin Jol confirmed on Thursday he had had a bid for the Birmingham striker turned down.
    With Stoke having made an offer for Jerome earlier in the summer which was also rebuffed, it is thought they may now rejoin the race to land the player.
    Pulis refuses to be drawn on the identity of his targets, though, and insists he will wait until near the end of the transfer window to make further signings if it seems the best thing to do.
    "We'll do our business with the clubs and people might be surprised who we do eventually end up with," Pulis said.
    "We will improve the squad before the window closes. But we've always done our business later in the transfer window rather than earlier.
    "We have to make sure that we do our business at the right price - that is something that we have always maintained and something that we will always try to do.
    "I think the closer you get to deadline day, there are better deals to be done with certain players."
    The Potters go into this evening's match at the raucous Stadion Poljud holding a narrow 1-0 advantage over Hajduk.
    With more than 30,000 supporters expected to roar on the hosts, much could depend on how Stoke - who are contesting their first major European tie for 37 years - handle the atmosphere, and Pulis has urged his side to show no fear.
    "We've played at big stadiums for the past three years, and some of them can be pretty hostile," Pulis said.
    "The big thing for us is that it is a new adventure and I don't think we should treat it in any other way.
    "If our best is good enough, then brilliant and if it's not, so be it. But we must make sure we come here with no inhibitions whatsoever.
    "Hajduk are a decent side and very good at home, so they know there is a challenge there - it is just about embracing that challenge."
    Hajduk coach Krasimir Balakov has promised his team will be firmly on the offensive, although he admits with the tie so finely poised, the attacking strategy could be something of a gamble.
    "It is a struggle that awaits us and it will be risky, but there is no other solution for us," Balakov told www.hajduk.hr.
    "I have asked the players to take risks when they have the ball, demonstrate their creativity, and to not be held back by showing too much respect for their opponents."

Uploads

Goodwillie: Living his dream of playing in England.
    BLACKBURN SIGN DAVID GOODWILLIE

David Goodwillie is relishing the chance to test himself in the Barclays Premier League after completing his move from Dundee United to Blackburn.
    The Scottish game's current young player of the year has signed a four-year contract with Rovers, who are believed to have paid an initial 2million to prise him from Tannadice.
    Blackburn said the club saw off "fierce competition" from rival bidders to land the 22-year-old striker, with Rangers having been keen to take him to Ibrox.
    Blackburn agreed a fee with United on Friday, and although Rangers made several efforts to strike a deal, they did not match their SPL rivals' demands.
    Rangers are understood to believe their final offer was better than the bid from Blackburn and that United chairman Stephen Thompson did not want to do business with them.
    However, Thompson insisted the total package on offer from Rangers was not acceptable.
    Goodwillie could make his debut in a friendly against Kilmarnock on Saturday, but it is the challenge of taking on the best defences in England which excites the Scotland international.
    Goodwillie told Rovers Player: "I think it's a massive stage to further my career and there's no better place to play than the Premiership.
    "Growing up you want to play in the Premiership and I'm really grateful to have that opportunity.
    "I think it's every young boy's dream to play in England at some point in their career.
    "I feel ready, and it's up to the manager and we'll see what happens."
    Blackburn boss Steve Kean, himself a Scot, will be hoping Goodwillie can bring something fresh to the Rovers side, but the young attacker accepts he may need time to get to grips with his new challenge.
    "I think the first few games it will be difficult for me to settle, it's probably a better standard (than the Scottish Premier League)," Goodwillie said.
    "I'm just looking forward to the challenge.
    "It's exciting. It's really exciting."
    Goodwillie underwent a medical with Blackburn on Tuesday and his deal at Ewood Park will come as a fresh blow to Rangers, who were knocked out by Malmo in the third qualifying round of the Champions League on Wednesday night.
    Goodwillie made his Scotland debut against Faroe Islands last November, and has been included in Craig Levein's squad for the friendly against Denmark next Wednesday.
    United on Wednesday night wished Goodwillie well south of the border.
    A statement on their club website said: "Dundee United confirm that the transfer of David Goodwillie to Blackburn Rovers for an undisclosed fee is now complete.
    "Everyone at Dundee United thanks David for his efforts in his time at the club and wishes him all the best for his future career."
    After weeks of uncertainty over where he would be playing, Goodwillie was relieved to sign and said: "I can settle down now and concentrate on my football."
    He believes Blackburn, under the Indian owners Venky's who took control of the club last season, can have a strong campaign.
    "I think this could be a really good season for Blackburn," Goodwillie said.
    "The new owners are exciting and they want players and I'm looking forward to playing under them."

Uploads

Mauro Zarate: Former Birmingham striker
    'TOP OFFER' NEEDED TO SIGN ZARATE

Lazio maintain that they will not sell striker Mauro Zarate in a cut-price deal amid reports Arsenal and Tottenham have shown interest.
    Paris St Germain and Manchester City have also been linked with the Argentine, who is under contract in Italy until 2014.
    But Lazio president Claudio Lotito has previously insisted that there have been no offers for the former Birmingham man.
    And he maintains that Zarate will not be allowed to leave for anything less than Lazio's valuation.
    Lotito is quoted as saying in the Daily Mirror: "Zarate is not on the market, but it is clear that if a top offer was to arrive it would be considered."

Uploads

Steed Malbranque: Returns to native France.
    MALBRANQUE JOINS ST ETIENNE

St Etienne have confirmed the signing of Steed Malbranque from Sunderland.
    The Ligue 1 outfit have agreed a two-year deal for the 31-year-old midfielder, who returns to his native France for an undisclosed fee.
    A statement on www.asse.fr read: "It's official. Steed Malbranque is a St Etienne player. The midfielder is committed to ASSE for two seasons."
    Sunderland manager Steve Bruce admitted earlier on Wednesday that Malbranque, who began his career at St Etienne's fierce rivals Lyon, was on his way from the club.
    "Of course, Steed has done remarkably well for the club over the last two or three years, but it's maybe time that he moves on and we wish him well," Bruce told The Sunderland Echo.
    Malbranque's move to France ends a 10-year stay in English football, during which time he made a total of 336 Premier League appearances.
    After impressing at Lyon following his debut for the club in 1998, Malbranque secured a move to Fulham in 2001 for a reported 4.5million. He scored 10 goals for the Cottagers in his first season and went on to make over 200 appearances for the west London club.
    Malbranque transferred to Tottenham in the summer of 2006, going on to make over 60 appearances, before joining Sunderland in 2008.

Uploads

Lita: Signs for Swans.
    SWANS CONFIRM LITA DEAL

Leroy Lita cannot wait to get down to work with Swansea after the Barclays Premier League newboys gave him another crack at top-flight football.
    The 26-year-old on Wednesday passed his medical to complete a 1.75million switch from Middlesbrough on a three-year contract.
    Lita has previous Premier League experience from his time at Reading, where he impressed during the Royals' two-season stint, but he has not played in the top tier since their relegation in 2007.
    And he is keen to take his chance with Brendan Rodgers' side.
    He told the Swansea website: "It's something I have been looking forward to for the last week so to finally be here is a great feeling and I can't wait to get started.
    "I always believed in myself and now I am here and I know there are good players here. We have a great squad and hopefully we can really push on this year and surprise a few people.
    "I have been waiting for this chance for a while and I am looking forward to getting back to that level.
    "This is a new challenge for everyone and they (Swansea) deserve to be here.
    "They have been playing the best football outside the Premier League for a number of years so it's only fair they get their chance and let's hope we can push on."
    Lita missed out on playing for current Swans boss Rodgers, as he left the Madejski Stadium shortly after the Northern Irishman's arrival in 2009.
    But he has been impressed by Swansea's style of play over recent seasons and says his team-mates have given him nothing but positive impressions of his new boss.
    "I never played under him but I spoke to a few of the lads and they love playing under him and it makes you feel at home and makes you enjoy your football," he said.
    "I am looking forward to getting to starting to work with the gaffer, the staff and the boys.
    "Swansea were one of the fixtures you didn't like as a striker because you knew you wouldn't see much of the ball. You seemed to be chasing all the time and it's nice to be a part of it and hopefully we can take that into the Premier League."
    On the evening he signed, Lita made his debut off the bench in a 2-0 friendly win over Celtic at the Liberty Stadium.
    And Rodgers was pleased by what he had seen.
    "I am delighted to have signed Leroy," he said. "He is a great addition to the group. He has blended in well and just wants to play.
    "He went through the stringent medical process that we have here and he completed that and jumped out to play tonight without a training session.
    "Tonight I think you saw his strength, and his movement and pace threatened in behind. I believe he will be a great addition to this group over the next few years."
    Lita is Swansea's fourth summer arrival, and is the second striker to be added to the Swans' ranks following the capture of club record signing Danny Graham from Watford for 3.5million.
    He will also compete with Craig Beattie and Luke Moore for a starting role when the Welsh side open their maiden Premier League campaign at Manchester City on August 15.
    Swansea are also closing in on completing a deal for Newcastle winger Wayne Routledge.
    A fee has been agreed for the former England Under-21 international, but it is understood he is likely to be confirmed as a Swansea player on Thursday, taking up a three-year deal, once he completes his own medical.

Uploads

Emile Heskey: No Leicester return
    NO LEICESTER RETURN FOR HESKEY

Sven-Goran Eriksson has confirmed Aston Villa striker Emile Heskey rejected the chance to rejoin Leicester earlier this summer.
    Heskey began his career with the Foxes with a bang before going on to play for the likes of Liverpool, Birmingham City and Wigan.
    The Villa man was wanted by Eriksson, who has been splashing the cash during the close season, however, it seems he is staying put.
    The Swede spoke with the 33-year-old a month ago, although the ex-England man told City's manager that he may be open to rejoining in the 2012-13 campaign.
    "I spoke to Emile Heskey a month ago and asked him if he wanted to come to us and the answer was 'not for now, maybe next season'," revealed Eriksson.

Uploads

Oriol Romeu: Joins Andre Villas-Boas' side.
    CHELSEA SIGN ORIOL ROMEU

Chelsea on Thursday completed the 4.35million signing of Oriol Romeu from Barcelona on a four-year deal.
    The 19-year-old is the second arrival of the Andre Villas-Boas era and will link up with his new team-mates at the end of Spain's Under-20 World Cup campaign.
    Barca confirmed Chelsea had paid 5million euros for the midfielder, with the deal including a buy-back clause of 10million euros after one year and 15million euros after two.
    The fee was agreed 11 days ago for the midfielder, who was quoted this week as saying: "Chelsea is a great option for me.
    "Leaving Barca hurts, but you have to take your chances."
    Oriol's agent, Magico Diaz, reportedly jetted out to Columbia this week to seal the deal.
    That is where Oriol is currently based, having played 90 minutes in Spain's opening two 4-1 and 2-0 victories over Costa Rica and Ecuador respectively at the Under-20 World Cup.
    His arrival at Stamford Bridge will help offset the loss of Michael Essien, who faces six months out with a serious knee injury.
    Speaking after the fee had been agreed, Villas-Boas said: "It is a part of the squad in which we are struggling with numbers because of Michael Essien's injury and Oriol is a player with a bright future. He still has to evolve as a player.
    "The Barcelona B team had a magnificent year in the Spanish second division, they finished third.
    "Oriol had an injury during the season but he came back late on and was in time to play for the first team.
    "So he is one of the most promising young players in that position."
    Oriol, who is 6ft and can also play central defence, made his first-team debut for Barca at the end of last season but head coach Pep Guardiola deemed him surplus to requirements.
    Chelsea have already signed Belgian goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois from Genk, immediately loaning him out to Atletico Madrid.
    And that is unlikely to be the end of the Blues' spending before the start of the season.
    They have seen two bids for Luka Modric rejected this summer and were this week pondering to make a third and final offer for the Tottenham playmaker.
    There have also been reports linking Yury Zhirkov and Alex with moves away from Stamford Bridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast