Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 05-08-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 05-08-11

Latest Transfer Update at 05-08-11

Harry Kewell: Melbourne Victory talks
    KEWELL IN TALKS WITH MELBOURNE

Melbourne Victory have confirmed they are in negotiations to bring Harry Kewell to the A-League club.
    The 32-year-old former Liverpool and Leeds player was released by Turkish side Galatasary at the end of last season and now looks likely to return home, with Melbourne keen to secure the services of the Australia international.
    "In relation to media reports surrounding the deadline, Melbourne Victory Football Club can confirm that it is in the final stages of discussions with Harry Kewell and his management," a Victory statement read.
    "We expect to be in a position to announce an outcome shortly. The club will make no further comment until an outcome is reached."

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 05-08-11

Craig Whyte: Working to bolster Rangers
    WHYTE PROMISES GERS REINFORCEMENTS

Rangers owner Craig Whyte has assured fans the club are working on at least six transfer deals as he rebuffed accusations that the club's performance in the transfer market was the key factor behind their Champions League exit.
    Rangers lost 2-1 on aggregate to Malmo in the third qualifying round after several frustrating weeks of transfer activity.
    Rangers have a smaller squad than their under-strength pool of last season despite promises from Whyte that he would bolster manager Ally McCoist's options.
    One of their four summer signings, Romanian defender Dorin Goian, arrived too late to play in the 1-0 home defeat against Malmo, and then missed Wednesday's 1-1 draw against the Swedish champions through injury.
    Rangers have been criticised for putting in unacceptable bids for the likes of David Goodwillie - the last on the eve of the second leg - and ADO Den Haag winger Wesley Verhoek.
    Dundee United chairman Stephen Thompson claimed the Ibrox club's timing in their attempts to sign Goodwillie was "absolutely crazy" with what is believed to be a seventh rejected bid coming in as the striker underwent a medical at Blackburn.
    But Whyte claimed United were intent on snubbing Rangers and he argued deals are difficult to secure so early in the transfer window, when selling clubs are in no rush to make final decisions.
    Whyte said: "We will be bringing more players in, of that we are very confident.
    "Last season we didn't get players in until the end of August.
    "We have been working very hard in terms of transfers and we have recruited three new players and secured others on long-term contracts.
    "We have at least half-a-dozen offers out there and hopefully we will get a couple this week."
    Steven Whittaker and Madjid Bougherra were sent off in Sweden and 10-man Malmo fought back from Nikica Jelavic's first-half goal to progress.
    And Whyte believes those red cards were the major factor in the Champions League exit.
    Whyte, who will discover the club's Europa League play-off opponents today, said: "Malmo were well into their season and their fitness showed but we threw it away by getting two players sent off. We were a far better team."
    In a statement on the club's official website, Whyte added: "I fully understand the fans' frustration at the transfer speculation we have seen in recent weeks but the reason we lost in the Champions League is not due to a lack of signings.
    "Had 11 players remained on the pitch I have no doubt we would have won the match.
    "Yes, we want to see new faces but we all believed we should have been strong enough over two legs against Malmo."

Uploads

DJ Campbell: QPR switch
    MOTHER KNOWS BEST FOR DJ CAMPBELL

DJ Campbell has revealed his mother was always convinced he would join QPR, even though he had given up hope of playing for his boyhood idols.
    Campbell, 29, realised a lifelong ambition on Thursday when he sealed his move from Blackpool, signing a two-year contract.
    The striker spent his formative years with Rangers and, even though he left aged 16, his mother believed he would one day return as a professional.
    "My mum always said to me that I'd be back here one day," Campbell told the club's official website.
    "I used to sit up in the stands. They were great times - I loved coming down here to watch QPR."
    Campbell, who cost the Rs a reported 1.25million, added: "I'd really brushed off the chance of ever coming back here to be honest, but maybe it was meant to be.
    "I remember back in the day watching Les (Ferdinand) and others, heroes of mine, and now I'm back here playing for the club I love.
    "It feels like a dream to be honest."
    Campbell confirmed he had snubbed interest from other clubs in the Barclays Premier League to become manager Neil Warnock's fourth summer signing.
    There had been fears Aston Villa or West Ham would hijack the transfer, but Campbell insisted there was only one club for him.
    "I grew up around here and QPR have played a massive part in my life," he said.
    "This was my first club, from six to 16, so to finally be back here at the age of 29 is really special."
    The former Birmingham and Leicester striker added: "There were other clubs in the Premier League that showed an interest but when I heard QPR were in for me it was an offer I couldn't refuse - this is my club."
    QPR had a bid for Campbell accepted a week ago, reportedly triggering a release clause in his Blackpool contract, which had a year left to run with the option of a further 12 months.
    Neil Warnock said of his new number nine: "He is a QPR fan and you can tell he has a great desire to do well for the club he supports.
    "That shone through when I met up with him - he can't wait to play for us.
    "He also gives us that extra element of pace which we need and I am sure he will prove to be a big hit with the fans at Loftus Road this season."

Uploads

Barnetta: Newcastle target
    INJURY COULD SCUPPER BARNETTA

An injury to Tranquilo Barnetta looks set to scupper a move away from Bayer Leverkusen this month, his agent has confirmed.
    Barnetta has been strongly linked with a move to Newcastle, whilst Wigan and Sunderland are also thought to have an interest.
    However, speaking exclusively to skysports.com, his agent Franco Moretti has confirmed that Barnetta picked up an injury this week.
    "It is unfortunate but Tranquilo picked up an injury this week, which means he is not even thinking about moving," he said.
    "It is a muscle injury which could rule him out for three weeks, so at the moment his only concern is about getting fit."
    There has been confusion about Barnetta's representation, but Moretti confirmed that he had held talks with Newcastle and that everything was going well.
    "Newcastle acted properly throughout, we know somebody was claiming things they should not have been, but we wanted to make sure everyone was aware that the club did everything they should," he continued.
    "Newcastle, and other clubs we have been talking to, have been very good with us.
    "But at the moment a deal is not in the offing, although in football you never know - it all depends on how quickly Tranquilo recovers, it could still happen - but we will have to wait and see."

Uploads

Wayne Routledge: Swansea switch
    ROUTLEDGE COMPLETES SWANSEA SWITCH

Swansea have completed their second signing of the week after Wayne Routledge completed his move from Newcastle.
    The Premier League new boys sealed a move for Leroy Lita on Wednesday and Routledge has followed suit for an undisclosed fee after completing his medical.
    The 26-year-old former England Under-21 international has put pen to paper on a three-year contract and will compete with Scott Sinclair and Nathan Dyer for a wing spot at the Liberty Stadium.
    Routledge told the club website: "I'm looking forward to the challenge.
    "It's taken a couple of days to get everything agreed, but I'm excited about getting started."
    Routledge has plenty of top-flight experience having had spells at Tottenham, Portsmouth, Fulham, Aston Villa and Newcastle.
    He impressed during his loan spell at QPR last season, and was a key figure in helping the London club to the Championship title.
    And Routledge says he is eager to work with Swans' manager Brendan Rodgers having admired the south Wales' club's attractive style of play.
    "I've had a good chat with the manager and he really impressed me," he said.
    "I had heard a lot of good things about him and the chat only reinforced my belief that moving to Swansea was the right thing to do.
    "Having watched Swansea last season, I think everyone would agree they were the best footballing side in the Championship.
    "It's going to be a difficult first season in the Premier League; it's going to be tough. But everyone is confident and looking forward to it. After all, playing in the Premier League is what you dream of.
    "I'm excited about it."

Uploads

DJ Campbell: Joins QPR
    QPR SWOOP FOR DJ CAMPBELL

QPR have completed the signing of DJ Campbell from Blackpool on a two-year contract.
    The 29-year-old joins for a reported fee of 1.25million, which triggered a release clause in his Seasiders contract.
    Campbell, who spent his early playing days in west London, becomes manager Neil Warnock's fourth summer signing.
    The striker told his new club's official website: It's a club that I supported as a kid.
    "I grew up around here and QPR have played a massive part in my life.
    "This was my first club, from six to 16, so to finally be back here at the age of 29 is really special."
    He added: "It's a massive club and it means a lot to me to be back here where it all began.
    "There were other clubs in the Premier League that showed an interest but when I heard QPR were in for me it was an offer I couldn't refuse - this is my club."
    Rs boss Neil Warnock added of his new number nine: "He is someone I have admired for a while now and he had a fabulous season in the Premier League with Blackpool last year.
    "He is a QPR fan and you can tell he has a great desire to do well for the club he supports.
    "That shone through when I met up with him - he can't wait to play for us.
    "He also gives us that extra element of pace which we need and I am sure he will prove to be a big hit with the fans at Loftus Road this season."
    Campbell, who has also played for Birmingham and Leicester, joins Jay Bothroyd, Kieron Dyer and Danny Gabbidon in moving to the Barclays Premier League new boys.
    His Blackpool contract had a year left to run, with the option of a further 12 months.
    He moved to the Seasiders following their promotion last summer but, despite the club making a flying start to their first top-flight season since 1971, they were relegated on a dramatic final day of the campaign.
    They swapped places with QPR, who won the npower Championship to return to the Premier League for the first time since 1996.

Uploads

Kyle Bartley: Rangers return
    RANGERS SEAL BARTLEY LOAN DEAL

Arsenal defender Kyle Bartley is on his way back to Rangers on a season-long loan deal.
    Bartley, 20, played for the Gers last season after joining in January and made nine appearances before an injury against PSV Eindhoven in the Europa League ended his campaign.
    He has been with the Gunners' first-team squad in pre-season but manager Arsene Wenger has opted to send him back to Ibrox for the duration of the 2011/12 campaign.
    Bartley, who has captained Arsenal's reserve side and made his debut for the first team in a Champions League clash with Olympiakos in 2009.
    Competition at the Emirates Stadium has prevented him making his first-team breakthrough and he spent two loan spells in the Championship with Sheffield United.
    The defender impressed during his time with Rangers, scoring the only goal in a tight match at St Mirren and taking the man-of-the match award.
    Light Blues boss Ally McCoist has been working hard to re-sign the player, who is now expected to play some part in a friendly against Chelsea on Saturday.

Uploads

Jim Jefferies: Hearts exit
    ROMANOV HAS HIS REASONS

Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov claims he had to take the "difficult" decision to remove Jim Jefferies as manager because the Scot refused to accept help from a European coach.
    Jefferies was replaced by former Sporting Lisbon coach Paulo Sergio this week three games into the season.
    Hearts secured draws away to Rangers and Hungarian Europa League opponents Paks before losing at home to Dundee United, but Jefferies paid the price for a run of one win in 15 matches stretching back to last season.
    Hearts finished third in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League thanks to their impressive record in the middle part of the campaign, and were badly hindered by the loss of striker Kevin Kyle to a hip injury in January.
    Jefferies was allowed to bring in four players of his own choosing this summer, including striker John Sutton, but Romanov was not impressed by the start to the season or the Scot's reluctance to work with a foreign coach.
    Speaking through an interpreter, Romanov told BBC Scotland: "Even at the end of last season we had this discussion. I told him we were playing typically Scottish football - long balls in front.
    "Players are not creating, they are not playing good passes, we need to bring someone in who can help to change this for the better.
    "We offered many times to find someone who can help him with the European game.
    "Maybe he took it as an insult but that wasn't the purpose. We were trying to help, we were not looking to replace anyone, just trying to add."
    The Lithuanian-based businessman added: "Getting to Europe is a big achievement and obviously we are grateful to Jim for that.
    "It was very good to work with him, we had a very good working relationship. To change the manager was a difficult moment.
    "It was a hard time but when I think about the situation, after the last 15 games, there were not a lot of good results and it was something we had to do.
    "The final decision was the Dundee United game. We lost 1-0 but it could have been 3-0."
    Romanov told the Hearts players this week that he wanted them to win the league but he would not specify what success was for the club.
    "It depends on a lot of things but there must be progress in the team," he added.
    "We have fantastic players, Rudi Skacel and Mehdi Taouil, who are capable of creating, but they are not able to do that, they are playing individually. I see there is no progress, the game is not attractive."
    Hearts director Sergejus Fedotovas, Romanov's most trusted official at Tynecastle, was more forthcoming about what is expected of the team.
    In an article on the club's official website, Fedotovas said: "Based on the team that we have, we do not want to settle for a compromise in the league or Europe.
    "Why should we accept top six or third place as success? Why should we be conditioned to accept this?
    "Is it right that we are conditioned to accept that only two clubs can be allowed to win the league in the way they have been allowed to do for the last 26 years?
    "This season we want to challenge for the top and we want our people to have this mentality.
    "The new manager has this mentality and we are sure this is achievable."

Uploads

Mata: Could be staying.
    EMERY THINKS MATA WILL STAY

Valencia boss Unai Emery believes that Juan Mata will be staying with the club after considering his future.
    Mata has long been linked with a move to England, and Arsenal had a bid for his services turned down late last month.
    The Spanish winger has not really spoken out about his future, but Valencia have maintained all along that they thought he would stay.
    Now Emery has revealed his belief that Mata will shun the English interest.
    "Mata has gone through a process of doubts about his future," Emery said after seeing Mata captain his side in a 2-1 victory over Hamburg.
    "But now we all believe he will stay at Valencia."

Uploads

Carlos Tevez: Wants to leave Man City
    MANCINI: TEVEZ WILL STAY 'SERIOUS'

Roberto Mancini expects Carlos Tevez to put in committed performances for Manchester City if he is still at the club beyond the end of the month.
    City's wantaway talisman has been linked persistently with a move to Inter Milan recently - but Mancini insists there has been no approach and the Argentinian will return to normal training next week.
    Tevez is not available for Sunday's season-opening Community Shield clash against Manchester United having been granted a 21-day break following the end of his involvement in the Copa America.
    Tevez, 27, has made clear his desire to leave City but his hopes of rejoining his former Brazilian club Corinthians collapsed last month.
    While other players such as Craig Bellamy and Emmanuel Adebayor are unlikely to figure in Mancini's plans, the Italian expects Tevez to continue playing a full role if a move does not materialise.
    Mancini said: "He doesn't have another team.
    "Carlos is a professional player. If he doesn't have another team in the next 10 days or two weeks I think he will play for us and play serious like last year, like always."
    When asked whether Tevez was likely to move before the transfer deadline at the end of the month, Mancini told a press conference: "I don't know. A lot can happen in one month but if he stays I am happy."
    The rumours linking the FA Cup winners with Maicon highlight a lack of cover for first-choice right-back Micah Richards.
    Because of that another Argentinian, defender Pablo Zabaletta, has returned to training and will be available to play at Wembley on Sunday.
    Mancini said: "Carlos comes back on Monday because he has 21 days after the Copa America.
    "Zaba is here because if we had a problem with Micah we have only one fit right-back."
    City's 38million record summer signing Sergio Aguero, who was also involved in the Copa America with Argentina, will be on the bench this weekend.
    The former Atletico Madrid forward has had blistered feet but is now training as normal after a 20-minute session on Thursday.
    Mancini said: "Sergio is okay. He is not 100% ready but he is fit to come on the bench."
    Mancini could therefore pair 24million Mario Balotelli with 27million Edin Dzeko up front against United.
    The controversial Balotelli has made headlines over the summer after clashing with Mancini during City's pre-season tour of north America.
    Balotelli was also quoted this week saying he did not like the city of the Manchester.
    Mancini said: "I think he wanted to say he is missing his family and friends.
    "I have spoken with him many times. He loves the supporters and team-mates and likes to play in the Barclays Premier League.
    "He is young, 21 years old and probably missing his family.
    "This situation can happen if you want to play in another country, it is normal.
    "The problem for Mario is that he is alone. He doesn't have his family here every day. I can understand this, I don't think it is terrible.
    "But we play for Manchester City, a top team in the Premier League.
    "This for me is the best championship in Europe and it is a fantastic experience for players from other countries."
    The derby element, and City's continuing attempts to overhaul their illustrious neighbours United, has added considerable spice to Sunday's encounter against the Premier League champions.
    Mancini is fired up for the game but does not think too much should be read into the result.
    He said: "It is the first official match of the season.
    "It is important because it is a derby and we want to win, like United.
    "But I don't think the teams at the moment are 100% ready to play."
    To get his squad fully ready for the season ahead, which will see City play in the Champions League for the first time, Mancini hopes to dip into the transfer market again.
    City have also signed defenders Gael Clichy and Stefan Savic in addition to Aguero this summer.
    Mancini said: "We are missing other players, we don't have enough players for all the season. This is a problem at the moment.
    "I think we need another two or three players."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast