Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Transfer Update at 06-08-11

Uploads

Arrow Latest Transfer Update at 06-08-11

David Beckham: New York Cosmos target
    COSMOS TARGET DAVID BECKHAM MOVE

New York Cosmos ambassador Shep Messing doesn't think "there's any question" that the reformed club will look to sign David Beckham.
    The Cosmos lost 6-0 to Manchester United on Friday night in Paul Scholes' testimonial in their first match since 1984 and now the target is to secure a spot in Major League Soccer.
    Messing, who played for the Cosmos in the 1970s during their time in the North American Soccer League, believes they will be able to attract major stars to the Big Apple.
    Pele, Franz Beckenbauer, Johan Neeskens and Carlos Alberto were among the big names to play for the club in the past and Messing thinks Beckham is exactly the kind of player to help them make a fresh impact.
    "I don't think there's any question," Messing told Sportinglife.com when asked if Beckham, who is in the final year of his contract with the LA Galaxy, will be a target for the Cosmos.
    "I think Beckham is the type of player that the New York Cosmos want and the New York Cosmos will be the club that players like Beckham want to play for.
    "Who knows if it's too little too late but David's having his best year (playing football in the United States).
    "I speak with him often and he is aware of every move that the Cosmos are making.
    "New York Cosmos have a heritage, they have a legacy, they have a standard and Beckham fits right into that character profile so you imagine the New York Cosmos team with a Beckham, with a Messi and with a Cristiano Ronaldo.
    "I think it's not going to happen overnight and it's hard to draw an analogy to the players that we had before but I do think the New York Cosmos will attract the best players in the world."
    Messing enjoyed his time playing for the Cosmos but he says helping the new-look club, who have Eric Cantona employed as director of soccer, is even better.
    "The first time was just spontaneous combustion. It took on a life of its own and we never thought we would be part of it again so I think I speak for the other guys when I say this time it's even better.
    "Back in the day we all came together in the perfect universe and I think sprinkled the seeds that have been planted in America for the last 35 years."
    Former Brazil captain Carlos Alberto has also taken a role as an ambassador for the Cosmos and he is expecting more success.
    "I'm very happy to help develop the New York Cosmos," he said.
    "We are very confident that we can make the New York Cosmos like they were before. We were very successful, not only in the United States but all over the world."
    Umbro are producing the New York Cosmos' new kits and a new range of off-field lifestyle wear is also available.

Uploads

Re: Latest Transfer Update at 06-08-11

Maicon: Linked with Manchester City switch
    MAICON BACKED FOR MAN CITY MOVE

Brazil legend Carlos Alberto thinks Maicon would be a success at Manchester City if he joins the club this summer.
    The defender has been linked with a switch to the Etihad Stadium in a swap deal with Carlos Tevez and Carlos Alberto believes his countryman has the talent to succeed in the Premier League.
    "Maicon is a very good player and I hope he would be a success here in England," he told Sportinglife.com.

"He would be good for the team. Looking at Manchester City through the years, every year they try to be better and I hope this year that Manchester City can fight for the title."
    Carlos Alberto was in Manchester for Paul Scholes' testimonial in his role as ambassador for the reformed New York Cosmos and he says he would have relished the chance to play in England.
    The defender captained Brazil to glory in the 1970 World Cup and now enjoys the "dynamic" football on offer in the English top-flight.
    "I would like today to have the chance to play in the Premier League because in my opinion it is the best league in the world.

"It is the best because of the organisation, they play seriously and the game is very dynamic.

"You have good players here. Wayne Rooney is the number one. I love to watch him play. Rio Ferdinand is one of the best stoppers in the world and Frank Lampard and John Terry are also good players."
    Umbro are producing the New York Cosmos' new kits and a new range of off-field lifestyle wear is also available.

Uploads

Cesc Fabregas: Will not face Benfica
    WENGER: FABREGAS ISN'T READY TO PLAY

Arsene Wenger has insisted there was no ulterior motive behind the absence of wantaway captain Cesc Fabregas from Arsenal's squad for Saturday's final pre-season friendly against Benfica.
    The Spain midfielder had been all smiles as he joined in with the rest of the Gunners squad for training at London Colney on Friday morning ahead of the flight to Portugal, but was not on the list of players the Gunners confirmed as having actually made the trip in the evening.
    Wenger had last week purposely omitted the Arsenal skipper from the Emirates Cup, admitting the player had become unsettled by continued speculation over a move back to Barcelona.
    However, the Gunners boss insisted the latest decision not to involve his key man was down purely to the fact Fabregas was struggling to recover from a hamstring problem which also prevented him from travelling on the tour of Asia last month.
    "He is just coming back from injury and is not ready to play in a game, but he is not injured," Wenger told a pre-match news conference in Lisbon, reported on arsenal.com.
    "I do not want to speak about the transfer of Fabregas because I have done that three years now in every press conference so I don't think there is any more need to add something.
    "I love Fabregas and I want him to stay, that is basically it.
    "Everybody is free to think what they want. We cannot stop people raising questions."
    Barcelona have already seen an initial 27million offer firmly rebuffed earlier in the summer, but remain determined to bring their former trainee back to the Nou Camp. Arsenal, though, are standing firm in their 40million valuation.
    Fabregas is now unlikely to lead the team out at St James Park for the opening match of the Barclays Premier League season at Newcastle next weekend.
    "I don't think Fabregas will be ready to start the season because he has been out for a long time and has had no games," Wenger said.
    If he played in Arsenal's Champions League play-off against Udinese, the midfielder would then be cup-tied were a move to go through ahead of the August 31 transfer deadline.
    The first leg of the qualifying tie - necessary after Arsenal's total collapse at the end of last season - will be played at the Emirates Stadium on August 16.
    Wenger will be in need of all the help he can muster, serving a one-match touchline ban himself following UEFA disciplinary action in the wake of his rant against Swiss referee Massimo Busacca in last season's away defeat to Barcelona.
    Midfielder Samir Nasri - who misses tomorrow's friendly with a "muscular problem" - was also sanctioned by UEFA for his outburst at Busacca, and will not be available. Nor will striker Robin van Persie, whose suspension for a controversial sending-off was carried over into Arsenal's next Champions League tie.
    While Arsenal were spared a long-haul trip to eastern Europe in today's draw, the timing of the play-off tie will see the Gunners face a testing schedule which also includes Premier League fixtures at Newcastle and Manchester United, with Liverpool set to come to north London on August 20.
    "I would say [the draw is] difficult, but possible," Wenger said.
    "Who would want to play against an Italian opponent? We know we will have to be at our best to qualify."
    Wenger continues to try to strengthen the squad, but has so far been frustrated in his moves for Valencia winger Juan Mata, along with English defensive duo Gary Cahill and Phil Jagielka.
    The Gunners boss said: "Ideally I would have finished all [our business], but it doesn't work like that.
    "We work very hard, we are non-stop working throughout the summer.
    "It's all kinds of things you meet during the transfer market, but I can understand the impatience of people.
    "We want to add not quality, but super quality.
    "We hope to give you some good news soon. Next week, something might happen."
    Neither Jack Wilshere nor Theo Walcott trained with the rest of the group this morning because of ankle problems, which is expected to impact on their involvement in next week's England friendly against Holland at Wembley.
    Meanwhile, Nicklas Bendtner and Emmanuel Eboue have not been included as they aim to push through respective moves to Sporting Lisbon and Galatasaray.

Uploads

Peter Ramage: Loan switch
    RAMAGE MAKES PALACE LOAN SWITCH

QPR defender Peter Ramage has joined npower Championship outfit Crystal Palace on a one-month loan deal.
    The 27-year-old will move to Selhurst Park until August 30 and has been included in the squad for Saturday's match at Peterborough.
    Ramage has made 74 appearances for QPR and scored twice since joining from Newcastle in 2008.

Uploads

Russell Slade: Signs Richardson on loan
    ORIENT SWOOP FOR RICHARDSON

Leyton Orient have agreed a one-month loan for Newcastle midfielder Michael Richardson.
    The 19-year-old joined the Magpies last summer from Walker Central following a successful trial and went on to impress for the academy and reserve sides.
    He could now be included in Russell Slade's squad for their opening game of the new npower League One campaign, away to Walsall.

Uploads

Josh Parker: Joins Oldham
    JOSH PARKER SIGNS FOR OLDHAM

Oldham have bolstered their attacking options with the signing of Josh Parker on a one-year deal.
    The 20-year-old was released by QPR at the end of the last season after one start and five substitute appearances in the Championship.
    Parker had two trial spells with Oldham during pre-season before jetting out for international duty with Antigua.
    The Slough-born player has also had spells at AFC Wimbledon, Northampton Town and Wycombe.
    Parker will be a ready-made replacement for Warren Feeney, who left the club earlier this week when his contract was terminated.

Uploads

Bellamy: Target for Sunderland
    BELLAMY IS A POSSIBILITY - BRUCE

Sunderland manager Steve Bruce has reiterated his interest in Manchester City striker Craig Bellamy.
    City boss Roberto Mancini has made it clear the 32-year-old Wales international, who spent last term on loan at hometown club Cardiff, is not part of his plans this season.
    Bruce has already added nine new faces to his squad this summer, but remains on the lookout following the departure of Steed Malbranque to St Etienne.
    Quoted in several newspapers, Bruce said: "I haven't got a wide left player, not a natural one, although we've got people who can play there, so we'll see.
    "We're all looking at Manchester City because they've got some great players who can't even get in the squad.
    "Craig Bellamy is a possibility. He can play wide left and up front so we'll see.
    "I'd think every manager's looking at City. Steed leaving frees up a wage for us."
    Bellamy has also been linked with a return to Celtic, where he enjoyed a successful loan spell six years ago while a Newcastle player.

Uploads

Sneijder: City deal played down
    SNEIJDER CITY MOVE TALK PLAYED DOWN

Despite reports in Italy, Manchester City have not wrapped up a deal for Wesley Sneijder, according to Sky Sports sources.
    Renowned publication Gazetto dello Sport suggests City have snatched the Inter Milan midfielder from under the noses of rivals Manchester United, who have been courting the Dutchman all summer.
    They believe Sneijder will feature in Inter's Italian Super Cup meeting with AC Milan in Beijing before jetting to England to sign an agreement with City.
    Sky sources understand there no truth in the claim, though, as City and United prepare to go head-to-head in Sunday's FA Community Shield.

Uploads

Berbatov: Linked with move away
    FERGIE DISMISSES BERBATOV CLAIMS

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has dismissed rumours linking Dimitar Berbatov with a move away from Old Trafford.
    The Bulgaria striker was joint top-scorer in the Premier League last season with 20 goals but dropped out of the first team picture toward the end of last season and was not even on the bench for United's Champions League final defeat to Barcelona.
    The 30-year-old has insisted he wants to fight for his place with the Red Devils but cash-rich Paris St German are reportedly keen on taking Berbatov to the Park des Princes.
    However, Ferguson has rubbished the stories and flatly denied any approach from the French club.
    "It's nonsense," said the Scot.
    "There's absolutely no interest or encouragement from us either."

Uploads

Eriksen: Wants to stay at Ajax
    ERIKSEN REJECTS MAN CITY OFFER

Ajax star Christian Eriksen has turned down the chance to join Manchester City, according to his agent.
    The classy Denmark playmaker is said to have been the subject of a 'concrete proposal' from the Premier League club.
    But the 19-year-old, who has been linked with several clubs around Europe, rejected a potential move to England in order to continue his development at Ajax.
    "It is true that we have a concrete proposal from Manchester City, about which Eriksen is proud and honoured," Eriksen's representative, Martin Schoot, told Bold.dk.
    "We talk about the world's richest club, so that they are interested is something Christian regards as an honour.
    "But Christian said a polite, 'no thanks', because he did not feel it would be the best move for his career at this time.
    "It also says a little about Christian as a person. It is clear that money does not mean the most to him."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast